Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Games 2019 Season Thread

Swing away
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

When are they going to announce a new President?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    The BOD just went through some changes, so they can likely start moving the process along soon, one would think.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Spoke to a well connected individual after the game and there has been little chatter at all about the new person. A name was expected to surface at the AGM but that did not happen. What was more interesting is the quiet admission by the interim person doing the Prez job now that in hindsight, airlifting the Rhodent into that job was a "big mistake"

Duh...
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Spoke to a well connected individual after the game and there has been little chatter at all about the new person. A name was expected to surface at the AGM but that did not happen. What was more interesting is the quiet admission by the interim person doing the Prez job now that in hindsight, airlifting the Rhodent into that job was a "big mistake"

Duh...
    It's shocking it took them as long as it did to figure that out. Many of us fans figured it out almost immediately.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Duh...
    Here's another shock...water is wet
    In Rod we trust

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Here's another shock...water is wet
    WHAAAAAAAATTTTTT???????? Since when???
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Rhodes had planted the seeds of discontent since his surprise firing of Hervey. It's soured a lot of us.
    I can only hope that having to endure watching Calgary win the Grey Cup on our home turf was atonement enough to the football gods. Watching them win on our field; in our locker room; parading their horse on our field. There was no way for Rhodes to salvage his botched decision after that; he had to go.

So far this off season that disillusionment has me pessimistic with our 2019 season prospects.
    Pessimistically:
    Harris < Reilly
    Daniels, Ellingson, Collins < Walker, Williams, Mitchell
    Dean < Sherritt
    Orange < Grymes
    However, hope springs eternal. In the excitement of training camp I'm coming around and willing to believe we have as good a shot as anyone in the West - which I don't think anyone can accurately predict at this point.
    Optimistically:
    Lolley D > Bene D
    Gass ST > McDiamird ST
    Unamba > Edwards
    Additionally they have clearly custom built a roster around Harris' strengths, and with CJ Gable still in fold I don't expect a drop off in our offensive production.

vCash

I think Dean will be just as good as Sherritt was for us. We won't be disappointed by his play.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Rhodes had planted the seeds of discontent since his surprise firing of Hervey. It's soured a lot of us.
    I can only hope that having to endure watching Calgary win the Grey Cup on our home turf was atonement enough to the football gods. Watching them win on our field; in our locker room; parading their horse on our field. There was no way for Rhodes to salvage his botched decision after that; he had to go.

So far this off season that disillusionment has me pessimistic with our 2019 season prospects.
    Pessimistically:
    Harris < Reilly
    Dean < Sherritt
    Orange < Grymes
    However, hope springs eternal. In the excitement of training camp I'm coming around and willing to believe we have as good a shot as anyone in the West - which I don't think anyone can accurately predict at this point.
    Optimistically:
    Lolley D > Bene D
    Gass ST > McDiamird ST
    Unamba > Edwards
    Additionally they have clearly custom built a roster around Harris' strengths, and with CJ Gable still in fold I don't expect a drop off in our offensive production.
    Love me some JC Sherritt but at this stage in his career Dean is an upgrade over JC. I would also suggest our linebacking as a whole is significantly upgraded from last year but the biggest upgrade, in my eyes, is a a scheme change that Lolley brings.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post

Pessimistically:
    Harris < Reilly
    Dean < Sherritt
    Orange < Grymes
    Optimistically:
    Lolley D > Bene D
    Gass ST > McDiamird ST
    Unamba > Edwards
    I agree with most of what you said.

I think there is a drop off at the QB position because I think Reilly is the best QB in the league. But Harris is a good QB so I am not negative on him. I think Harris is definitely a different style of QB. He is more of a quick throw, accurate QB where as Reilly is a more power, big play QB. The pro with Harris is there is more potential for longer drives to give the defense more rest, the potential for less pick but when he has an off game, it probably won't be pretty. With Reilly, he could struggle but because of the big arm and big play capability, they could still win on a few big plays.

I think they are definitely weaker at receiver. I think Walker is one of the best receivers in the league and Williams last year WAS the best receiver in the league. I am not saying the receivers the Esks have aren't good but the Esks had 2 of the best ones last year. That's hard to replace.

I think the linebackers are better. Losing Edwards is an addition by subtraction. They upgraded at the WIL & SAM linebackers. Sherritt was a really good player, so is Dean. At worse Dean is on par, he might be better but I don't know much about him.

The areas I felt the Esks needed to upgrade the most was on the Oline. The loss of Rogers really, really hurts them. Hopefully someone can step up.

I also felt the secondary needed to be improved. I think the addition of Orange but the loss of Grymes makes it a wash between them. Orange is a corner, Grymes a half but both really good. We won't know who all makes the team but there are lots of faces from last year. We will see how it shakes out.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post

I think there is a drop off at the QB position because I think Reilly is the best QB in the league. But Harris is a good QB so I am not negative on him. I think Harris is definitely a different style of QB. He is more of a quick throw, accurate QB where as Reilly is a more power, big play QB. The pro with Harris is there is more potential for longer drives to give the defense more rest, the potential for less pick but when he has an off game, it probably won't be pretty. With Reilly, he could struggle but because of the big arm and big play capability, they could still win on a few big plays.

I think they are definitely weaker at receiver. I think Walker is one of the best receivers in the league and Williams last year WAS the best receiver in the league. I am not saying the receivers the Esks have aren't good but the Esks had 2 of the best ones last year. That's hard to replace.

I think the linebackers are better. Losing Edwards is an addition by subtraction. They upgraded at the WIL & SAM linebackers. Sherritt was a really good player, so is Dean. At worse Dean is on par, he might be better but I don't know much about him.

The areas I felt the Esks needed to upgrade the most was on the Oline. The loss of Rogers really, really hurts them. Hopefully someone can step up.

I also felt the secondary needed to be improved. I think the addition of Orange but the loss of Grymes makes it a wash between them. Orange is a corner, Grymes a half but both really good. We won't know who all makes the team but there are lots of faces from last year. We will see how it shakes out.
    Great post Q!

vCash

Nice breakdown, will be interesting to see for sure.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I agree with that especially with Edwards being gone. oy.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I agree with that especially with Edwards being gone. oy.
    added bonus..... he's in BC so hopefully we befit from his lack of discipline.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    added bonus..... he's in BC so hopefully we befit from his lack of discipline.
    Yeah good point, he took a lot of awful penalties...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

It will be interesting to see who ends up starting in the secondary. Lolley wants a more aggressive defense so I assume that means he will be bringing more pressure. When you bring more guys, that means there are less guys dropping back into coverage i/e linebackers. I believe I also read he wants to do more man on man coverage. To do that, you need DB's that are good cover guys. I didn't think the Esks last season where strong coverage wise. Now maybe the scheme had something to do with it but IMO some of the guys just weren't good in coverage. So I will be curious to see who makes the starters role as they have a lot of returning guys fighting for jobs.

vCash

Duh...
    Meaning Fleming is no longer interested in the job so they don't know what to do now?

vCash

It will be interesting to see who ends up starting in the secondary. Lolley wants a more aggressive defense so I assume that means he will be bringing more pressure. When you bring more guys, that means there are less guys dropping back into coverage i/e linebackers. I believe I also read he wants to do more man on man coverage. To do that, you need DB's that are good cover guys. I didn't think the Esks last season where strong coverage wise. Now maybe the scheme had something to do with it but IMO some of the guys just weren't good in coverage. So I will be curious to see who makes the starters role as they have a lot of returning guys fighting for jobs.
    The biggest unknown in my eyes is our secondary and how they are going to be used. Lolley likes speed and aggressiveness from his secondary and when you are hearing things like "rally to the ball" you can get a little excited for what we may be in store for. Bene was more of a keep the play in front of you kind of coordinator, where guys would sit a fair distance off the line. I'm expecting us to give up more big plays this year but significantly less yards and points.
    #PizStrong

vCash

The biggest unknown in my eyes is our secondary and how they are going to be used. Lolley likes speed and aggressiveness from his secondary and when you are hearing things like "rally to the ball" you can get a little excited for what we may be in store for. Bene was more of a keep the play in front of you kind of coordinator, where guys would sit a fair distance off the line. I'm expecting us to give up more big plays this year but significantly less yards and points.
    I'm expecting more splash plays i.e. sacks and turnovers they have a few players too they can use as hybrids lb/safety like a Nick Taylor who has secondary speed but can also play the SAM
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Bombers live streaming their game tomorrow!

Not sure we will fair much better than our second preseason game last year when all the starters stayed home.. But at least we can have a look at guys like Bobo etc

vCash

Some interesting stats (at least in my eyes) about our head coach as a QB whisperer. Maas has been coaching since the 2012 season, in those 7 seasons, he has had the top passer the last 5 years (1 in Toronto, 1 in ottawa and 3 here) Of the 2 seasons he never had the top guy his starting QB missed 4 games in 2012 and 8 in 2013. If you extend Ricky Rays numbers to a full season, he would have been the highest passer in 2013 and 140 yards out in 2012. Those first 3 years in TO he wasn't the offensive coordinator so take those stats with a grain of salt.

Here is whats even more interesting to me. Looking at QB performance the year before he took over compared to when he was in charge.

In 2014 Burris played all 18 games for Ottawa, had 3428 yards (190.4 per game) and a QB efficiency of 78.7. In 2015 he had 5693 yards (316.2 per game) and a QB efficiency of 101.0

To be fair I'm going to extend Reillys 2015 numbers to a full season (he only played 10 games) Extended to 18 games Reilly was on track for 4408.2 yards (244.9 per game) and a QB efficiency of 89.8. In 2016 Reilly had 5554 yards, in 17 games (326.7 per game) and a QB efficiency of 104.5.

Looking at those numbers one can expect Harris to have a good year.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Some interesting stats (at least in my eyes) about our head coach as a QB whisperer. Maas has been coaching since the 2012 season, in those 7 seasons, he has had the top passer the last 5 years (1 in Toronto, 1 in ottawa and 3 here) Of the 2 seasons he never had the top guy his starting QB missed 4 games in 2012 and 8 in 2013. If you extend Ricky Rays numbers to a full season, he would have been the highest passer in 2013 and 140 yards out in 2012. Those first 3 years in TO he wasn't the offensive coordinator so take those stats with a grain of salt.

Here is whats even more interesting to me. Looking at QB performance the year before he took over compared to when he was in charge.

In 2014 Burris played all 18 games for Ottawa, had 3428 yards (190.4 per game) and a QB efficiency of 78.7. In 2015 he had 5693 yards (316.2 per game) and a QB efficiency of 101.0

To be fair I'm going to extend Reillys 2015 numbers to a full season (he only played 10 games) Extended to 18 games Reilly was on track for 4408.2 yards (244.9 per game) and a QB efficiency of 89.8. In 2016 Reilly had 5554 yards, in 17 games (326.7 per game) and a QB efficiency of 104.5.

#trustthesystem

This is exactly why I think Jason Maas' is underrated as a coach by many in this league, he's the brightest offensive mind in our game right now IMO. It's also important to note that Burris and Reilly both lead the league in their first seasons in Maas system so they were able to do it even while learning a whole new offence, which is what Trevor will be doing this year. I fully believe that Harris will finish ahead of Reilly in passing yards this year.

He was also the QB coach in TO when Collaros and Harris were lighting up the league as rookies in Ray's absence. The guy knows how to get the most out his QB's there's no question about that.

vCash

Defensive system is going to benefit this O too. Quick turnovers, short fields etc, where not things we got from Bene. Doesn't matter who the QB is if we get an extra drive or 2 per game. Bene used to force teams to go on long drives, our new system is going to force teams into doing uncomfortable things.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Defensive system is going to benefit this O too. Quick turnovers, short fields etc, where not things we got from Bene. Doesn't matter who the QB is if we get an extra drive or 2 per game. Bene used to force teams to go on long drives, our new system is going to force teams into doing uncomfortable things.
    Exciting times!

vCash

I am excited to see the defence with my own eyes tonight. Happy the Bombers are streaming their game!
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I am excited to see the defence with my own eyes tonight. Happy the Bombers are streaming their game!
    I was listening to Lolley on the CHED pre-game, and loved this quote (or variation thereof):

"Ohhhh, that was real gentle on Sunday, we usually like to play a lot more agressively than that..."

Can. Not. Wait.

"Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    I was listening to Lolley on the CHED pre-game, and loved this quote (or variation thereof):

"Ohhhh, that was real gentle on Sunday, we usually like to play a lot more agressively than that..."

Can. Not. Wait.

OMG they're blitzing all 12.....
    In Rod we trust