Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

I can’t tell you how excited I am about this possibility. My kids have never seen it in action. I remember my dad taking me to a game in the late 80’s or early 90’s and I missed what would have been my first Gizmo flip because I was watching for the fire truck to start out! If this is happening I can’t wait for my kids to see it in action on Saturday!

vCash

How long ago did they do away with it? 2012? 2013?
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    I can’t tell you how excited I am about this possibility. My kids have never seen it in action. I remember my dad taking me to a game in the late 80’s or early 90’s and I missed what would have been my first Gizmo flip because I was watching for the fire truck to start out! If this is happening I can’t wait for my kids to see it in action on Saturday!
    My kids have never seen it as well and I know they'd love it. I always thought it was a mistake to get rid of it.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    My kids have never seen it as well and I know they'd love it. I always thought it was a mistake to get rid of it.
    It was a huge mistake! I’ve heard because of the new turf layout with the track that it wasn’t going to work. I’d also heard that it needed some difficult mechanical work to get it back up and running. If they indeed have $18000000 in the bank, I’m pretty sure they can spend some on mechanical upkeep! I think it was more about Len trying to sell more sideline space.

vCash
    Blog Entries

This excites me beyond belief.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    This excites me beyond belief.
    Me too! I don't understand why it excites me so much, but I want the fire truck back!

But won't we have to score a TD to see it in action?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Me too! I don't understand why it excites me so much, but I want the fire truck back!

Every party has to have a pooper

vCash

Its amazing at how something so simple is what people remember and miss the most. I too loved seeing the truck roll around firing footballs into the stands. it was unique and it was ours.

Sadly they decided to turf it because it couldn't go around the stadium anymore - thanks to the on field seats and with Rhodent he sold more and more of them making it even harder to bring it back... I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Is it just sitting in the corner? or is it going to return to its glory and go around the stadium once again.

Fingers crossed people fingers crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

its our MOJO!! ( austin powers voice) its whats been missing!!

vCash

I kind of assumed when we quit throwing the mini footballs into the stands that it was related to liability issues? I didn't see a single football go into the stands when I was there...

#PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Fire Truck! (speculation)
    I havenít heard anything at work yet but if it is coming back hopefully EFRS are involved again, riding that thing was a ton of fun!

vCash

The way our offense has been scoring tds the fire truck will stay in moth balls.

Maybe a tricycle riding around the track for each field goal?

vCash

The fire truck has been in the kids zone for the past number of years. My little ones love climbing aboard. It would probably be extra cool for the kids who've now sat in the fire truck to see it cruising around the field.

vCash

I'd like to see them bring back the dogs that race around the field chasing the white rag. That was the best half-time show. I guess they would have trouble sticking the stakes with the rollers into the new turf.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    It was a huge mistake! I’ve heard because of the new turf layout with the track that it wasn’t going to work. I’d also heard that it needed some difficult mechanical work to get it back up and running. If they indeed have $18000000 in the bank, I’m pretty sure they can spend some on mechanical upkeep! I think it was more about Len trying to sell more sideline space.
    The past Esks brass wouldn't bat an eye at paying some washed up rapper god only knows how much to come play for 10 mins at halftime but they can't drop a few grand to fix up the truck. Baffling to me. If they want to build an atmosphere, a culture in the stadium amongst the fans so they keep coming back and want to bring their kids, that's how you do it. They remember the fire truck, they remember catching a mini football as a kid. I remember the Safeway seal, the old mascot. That guy was awesome. Beating the hell out of stuff animals. He stood up on some speaker box and flew in the air like a wrestler and rammed an elbow into some stuff animal on that track. That's the type of stuff I remember as a kid that kept me wanting to come back all those year. No one gives a sh!t if they see Flo Rida for 12 mins. That's what the previous management couldn't figure out and caused them to miss an entire generation of fans.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

Pitfall Harry Guest

I'd take Gizmo Williams in a chariot drawn by two polar bears over a yellow firetruck any day.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The past Esks brass wouldn't bat an eye at paying some washed up rapper god only knows how much to come play for 10 mins at halftime but they can't drop a few grand to fix up the truck. Baffling to me. If they want to build an atmosphere, a culture in the stadium amongst the fans so they keep coming back and want to bring their kids, that's how you do it. They remember the fire truck, they remember catching a mini football as a kid. I remember the Safeway seal, the old mascot. That guy was awesome. Beating the hell out of stuff animals. He stood up on some speaker box and flew in the air like a wrestler and rammed an elbow into some stuff animal on that track. That's the type of stuff I remember as a kid that kept me wanting to come back all those year. No one gives a sh!t if they see Flo Rida for 12 mins. That's what the previous management couldn't figure out and caused them to miss an entire generation of fans.
    I miss Sammy the Seal!! Especially when there was a facemask penalty...He'd do the penalty calls with his flippers and it always amused me. As the years go on, Punter and Nanook are more and more invisible. How hard is it to find someone to wear the suits that know what they're doing?|
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

It was Sea-Jay Seal. Safeway Employee's Association. The guy spent a lot of time and effort planning out his activities. He had several different custumes that he would developed like "Phantom of the Seal" and such. There was a six card collection of some of the costumes that he wore that were sponsored by Libby's and distributed in stores. That was also before the time of wall-to-wall advertisements so there was time to do things that were actually entertaining. Like jumping into the Arctic Spa hot tub and practically drowning because the costume was so heavy.

Is Nanook still at the games?

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash

Seems a bit copycat to me. Why not just call it the Walbyburger?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Seems a bit copycat to me. Why not just call it the Walbyburger?
    Which was a rip off of the huge burger they have in BC...

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Which was a rip off of the huge burger they have in BC...
    Oh well. It's cool that each building is trying to come up with its own ridiculous sandwich. I admit I'd like to try it, but would need to share with 3 people to get it down.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Oh well. It's cool that each building is trying to come up with its own ridiculous sandwich. I admit I'd like to try it, but would need to share with 3 people to get it down.
    Oh I think it's fantastic...just noting that Winnipeg didn't start that tradition.

#PizStrong

vCash

I think each team should have a signature dish that represents their city

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I think each team should have a signature dish that represents their city
    Agreed, but this one is missing perogies then!!

vCash

Yup, perogies and donair meat... then you can call it the Edmonton burger.

I actually wish the stadium would do what the RedBlacks are doing, having a different ridiculous menu item each week. They've had the crazy big burgers, 2 ft long chili cheese dogs, 2lb ice cream sandwiches, this week is a 2ft long taco with all sorts of fixings. If you are trying to give people reasons to come to the game instead of sitting on the couch, crazy food like this helps to create a buzz.
    Last edited by TeqEEla; 09-06-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Yup, perogies and donair meat... then you can call it the Edmonton burger.
    Yum Yum. Guarantee when Halifax gets its team, donair meat will be on their feature sandwich. Either that or they'll sell a 6 lb donair.
    Last edited by bone; 09-06-2019 at 02:27 PM.

vCash

borscht
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

So the speculation about Maas and job security has run rampant in some circles, especially with Sunderland on the sidelines tonight. Bye week would be a time to do it. One might think football ops cap would make it hard to find someone. Could that have anything to do with Marcel Bellefeuille taking on a scouting role recently? There’s experience as an OC and a HC there if they needed another voice in some capacity.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    So the speculation about Maas and job security has run rampant in some circles, especially with Sunderland on the sidelines tonight. Bye week would be a time to do it. One might think football ops cap would make it hard to find someone. Could that have anything to do with Marcel Bellefeuille taking on a scouting role recently? There’s experience as an OC and a HC there if they needed another voice in some capacity.
    We just lost harris.. why would you fire maas?