Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 960 of 1191

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

  1. #931
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    2,480
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    I can’t tell you how excited I am about this possibility. My kids have never seen it in action. I remember my dad taking me to a game in the late 80’s or early 90’s and I missed what would have been my first Gizmo flip because I was watching for the fire truck to start out! If this is happening I can’t wait for my kids to see it in action on Saturday!

  2. #932
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,571
    vCash
    1207
    Rep Power
    166

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    How long ago did they do away with it? 2012? 2013?
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  3. #933
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,875
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    103

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    I can’t tell you how excited I am about this possibility. My kids have never seen it in action. I remember my dad taking me to a game in the late 80’s or early 90’s and I missed what would have been my first Gizmo flip because I was watching for the fire truck to start out! If this is happening I can’t wait for my kids to see it in action on Saturday!
    My kids have never seen it as well and I know they'd love it. I always thought it was a mistake to get rid of it.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  4. #934
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    2,480
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    My kids have never seen it as well and I know they'd love it. I always thought it was a mistake to get rid of it.
    It was a huge mistake! I’ve heard because of the new turf layout with the track that it wasn’t going to work. I’d also heard that it needed some difficult mechanical work to get it back up and running. If they indeed have $18000000 in the bank, I’m pretty sure they can spend some on mechanical upkeep! I think it was more about Len trying to sell more sideline space.

  5. #935
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    2500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    This excites me beyond belief.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  6. #936
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,495
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    262

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    This excites me beyond belief.
    Me too! I don't understand why it excites me so much, but I want the fire truck back!

    But won't we have to score a TD to see it in action?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  7. #937
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lethbridge, AB
    Posts
    2,454
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    80

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Me too! I don't understand why it excites me so much, but I want the fire truck back!

    But won't we have to score a TD to see it in action?
    Every party has to have a pooper

  8. #938
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,643
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Its amazing at how something so simple is what people remember and miss the most. I too loved seeing the truck roll around firing footballs into the stands. it was unique and it was ours.


    Sadly they decided to turf it because it couldn't go around the stadium anymore - thanks to the on field seats and with Rhodent he sold more and more of them making it even harder to bring it back... I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Is it just sitting in the corner? or is it going to return to its glory and go around the stadium once again.


    Fingers crossed people fingers crossed.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Me too! I don't understand why it excites me so much, but I want the fire truck back!

    But won't we have to score a TD to see it in action?


    its our MOJO!! ( austin powers voice) its whats been missing!!

  9. #939
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,571
    vCash
    1207
    Rep Power
    166

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    I kind of assumed when we quit throwing the mini footballs into the stands that it was related to liability issues? I didn't see a single football go into the stands when I was there...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  10. #940

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Fire Truck! (speculation)
    I havenít heard anything at work yet but if it is coming back hopefully EFRS are involved again, riding that thing was a ton of fun!

  11. #941
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,428
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    96

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    The way our offense has been scoring tds the fire truck will stay in moth balls.

    Maybe a tricycle riding around the track for each field goal?

  12. #942
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    945
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    The fire truck has been in the kids zone for the past number of years. My little ones love climbing aboard. It would probably be extra cool for the kids who've now sat in the fire truck to see it cruising around the field.

  13. #943
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    93
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    I'd like to see them bring back the dogs that race around the field chasing the white rag. That was the best half-time show. I guess they would have trouble sticking the stakes with the rollers into the new turf.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

  14. #944
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,875
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    103

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    It was a huge mistake! I’ve heard because of the new turf layout with the track that it wasn’t going to work. I’d also heard that it needed some difficult mechanical work to get it back up and running. If they indeed have $18000000 in the bank, I’m pretty sure they can spend some on mechanical upkeep! I think it was more about Len trying to sell more sideline space.
    The past Esks brass wouldn't bat an eye at paying some washed up rapper god only knows how much to come play for 10 mins at halftime but they can't drop a few grand to fix up the truck. Baffling to me. If they want to build an atmosphere, a culture in the stadium amongst the fans so they keep coming back and want to bring their kids, that's how you do it. They remember the fire truck, they remember catching a mini football as a kid. I remember the Safeway seal, the old mascot. That guy was awesome. Beating the hell out of stuff animals. He stood up on some speaker box and flew in the air like a wrestler and rammed an elbow into some stuff animal on that track. That's the type of stuff I remember as a kid that kept me wanting to come back all those year. No one gives a sh!t if they see Flo Rida for 12 mins. That's what the previous management couldn't figure out and caused them to miss an entire generation of fans.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  15. #945
    Pitfall Harry Guest

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    I'd take Gizmo Williams in a chariot drawn by two polar bears over a yellow firetruck any day.

  16. #946
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,255
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    149

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The past Esks brass wouldn't bat an eye at paying some washed up rapper god only knows how much to come play for 10 mins at halftime but they can't drop a few grand to fix up the truck. Baffling to me. If they want to build an atmosphere, a culture in the stadium amongst the fans so they keep coming back and want to bring their kids, that's how you do it. They remember the fire truck, they remember catching a mini football as a kid. I remember the Safeway seal, the old mascot. That guy was awesome. Beating the hell out of stuff animals. He stood up on some speaker box and flew in the air like a wrestler and rammed an elbow into some stuff animal on that track. That's the type of stuff I remember as a kid that kept me wanting to come back all those year. No one gives a sh!t if they see Flo Rida for 12 mins. That's what the previous management couldn't figure out and caused them to miss an entire generation of fans.
    I miss Sammy the Seal!! Especially when there was a facemask penalty...He'd do the penalty calls with his flippers and it always amused me. As the years go on, Punter and Nanook are more and more invisible. How hard is it to find someone to wear the suits that know what they're doing?|
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

  17. #947
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park
    Posts
    4,622
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    91

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    It was Sea-Jay Seal. Safeway Employee's Association. The guy spent a lot of time and effort planning out his activities. He had several different custumes that he would developed like "Phantom of the Seal" and such. There was a six card collection of some of the costumes that he wore that were sponsored by Libby's and distributed in stores. That was also before the time of wall-to-wall advertisements so there was time to do things that were actually entertaining. Like jumping into the Arctic Spa hot tub and practically drowning because the costume was so heavy.

    Is Nanook still at the games?

  18. #948
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,453
    vCash
    8537
    Rep Power
    991

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  19. #949
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    561
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: 2019 Season Thread


  20. #950
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,495
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    262

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Seems a bit copycat to me. Why not just call it the Walbyburger?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  21. #951
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,571
    vCash
    1207
    Rep Power
    166

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Seems a bit copycat to me. Why not just call it the Walbyburger?
    Which was a rip off of the huge burger they have in BC...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  22. #952
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,555
    vCash
    15857
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Which was a rip off of the huge burger they have in BC...
    Oh well. It's cool that each building is trying to come up with its own ridiculous sandwich. I admit I'd like to try it, but would need to share with 3 people to get it down.

  23. #953
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,571
    vCash
    1207
    Rep Power
    166

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Oh well. It's cool that each building is trying to come up with its own ridiculous sandwich. I admit I'd like to try it, but would need to share with 3 people to get it down.
    Oh I think it's fantastic...just noting that Winnipeg didn't start that tradition.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  24. #954
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,643
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    I think each team should have a signature dish that represents their city

  25. #955
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,555
    vCash
    15857
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I think each team should have a signature dish that represents their city
    Agreed, but this one is missing perogies then!!

  26. #956
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    525
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    47

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Agreed, but this one is missing perogies then!!
    Yup, perogies and donair meat... then you can call it the Edmonton burger.

    I actually wish the stadium would do what the RedBlacks are doing, having a different ridiculous menu item each week. They've had the crazy big burgers, 2 ft long chili cheese dogs, 2lb ice cream sandwiches, this week is a 2ft long taco with all sorts of fixings. If you are trying to give people reasons to come to the game instead of sitting on the couch, crazy food like this helps to create a buzz.
    Last edited by TeqEEla; 09-06-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Is it game day yet?????

  27. #957
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,555
    vCash
    15857
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Yup, perogies and donair meat... then you can call it the Edmonton burger.
    Yum Yum. Guarantee when Halifax gets its team, donair meat will be on their feature sandwich. Either that or they'll sell a 6 lb donair.
    Last edited by bone; 09-06-2019 at 02:27 PM.

  28. #958
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    12,801
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    433

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Agreed, but this one is missing perogies then!!
    borscht
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

  29. #959
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    449
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    So the speculation about Maas and job security has run rampant in some circles, especially with Sunderland on the sidelines tonight. Bye week would be a time to do it. One might think football ops cap would make it hard to find someone. Could that have anything to do with Marcel Bellefeuille taking on a scouting role recently? There’s experience as an OC and a HC there if they needed another voice in some capacity.

  30. #960
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,127
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    185

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    So the speculation about Maas and job security has run rampant in some circles, especially with Sunderland on the sidelines tonight. Bye week would be a time to do it. One might think football ops cap would make it hard to find someone. Could that have anything to do with Marcel Bellefeuille taking on a scouting role recently? There’s experience as an OC and a HC there if they needed another voice in some capacity.
    We just lost harris.. why would you fire maas?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •