Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1188

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

I'd like some proof that BS has asked guys to take midseason pay cuts. There's a lot of speculation and theory built on this and yet no proof.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I'd like some proof that BS has asked guys to take midseason pay cuts. There's a lot of speculation and theory built on this and yet no proof.
    there is a roster move on the transaction page that has brought up speculation:

2019-08-15 EDM HARRIS, Trevor QB A Edinboro Add To Active Roster
    2019-08-15 EDM HARRIS, Trevor QB A Edinboro Delete From Active Free Agent
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    you may well be right but 9-9 in a rebuild year isn't anything to scoff at. That being said I still think we end up 10-8 but I could be wrong.
    They go out and resign Boateq who would be big money. They go out and sign Rogers, the best tackle in the league so I assume that was big. They bring in Harris and Ellingston who combined wouldn't be cheap. They sign Dean, Unamba, Knox, Orange, 4 of the bigger defensive free agents available. They do all of that and you are telling me this year is a rebuild year? That's news to me.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

10 starters (or was it 11?) from last year, not back. Their QB on defense in JC Sherritt, (perhaps) the best QB in the league, their top three receivers, their best DB... all gone. New DC, new ST Coordinator.
    It doesn't matter who you replace them with, it's a rebuild.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

10 starters (or was it 11?) from last year, not back. Their QB on defense in JC Sherritt, (perhaps) the best QB in the league, their top three receivers, their best DB... all gone. New DC, new ST Coordinator.
    So by your logic, almost every team in the league did a rebuild based on the amount of free agent movement this last offseason. I think the only team in the West that didn't drastically change out the roster was the Bombers. So the excuse as to why the Esks might be lucky to be 9-9 because they are "rebuilding" really doesn't apply much.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

there is a roster move on the transaction page that has brought up speculation:

2019-08-15 EDM HARRIS, Trevor QB A Edinboro Add To Active Roster
    2019-08-15 EDM HARRIS, Trevor QB A Edinboro Delete From Active Free Agent
    Speculation right.... Again the locker room is lost and guys want out and don't want to finish the season etc etc because of speculation....
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Speculation right.... Again the locker room is lost and guys want out and don't want to finish the season etc etc because of speculation....
    agreed
    #PizStrong

vCash

Exactly right.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    So by your logic, almost every team in the league did a rebuild based on the amount of free agent movement this last offseason. I think the only team in the West that didn't drastically change out the roster was the Bombers. So the excuse as to why the Esks might be lucky to be 9-9 because they are "rebuilding" really doesn't apply much.
    You said it wasn't a rebuild. It was... my statement backs that up...and that is all I said. I didn't say anything about excuses, just confirmed Looner's assessment of the situation.
    Please take the time to properly read other people's posts before you comment on them.

vCash

Just looking at 1 team but Sask had 2 new offensive starters (Watson and Powell) and 3 new defensive (Johnson, Davis and Means) to start the year. where we had 5 on O (Smith, Elly, Harris, Collins and Daniels) and 5 on D (Orange, Diggs, Johnson, Unamba and Dean) that is DOUBLE the amount of starters.

I'm not counting guys like Usher for us or Bladek for the Riders, that were with the team last year but not starters.

And for the record, I'm not making excuses as i expected better but maybe I shouldn't have. Who was it that said for every new starter you have, you can expect one loss?
    #PizStrong

vCash

You said it wasn't a rebuild. It was... my statement backs that up...and that is all I said. I didn't say anything about excuses, just confirmed Looner's assessment of the situation.
    Please take the time to properly read other people's posts before you comment on them.
    I read the post. This is a public forum where people are supposed to be allowed to express their opinions openly. Please refrain from turning this into a place where people behind the anonymity of the internet feel they have license to make derogatory comments implying that someone is incapable of reading or understanding a persons post.

vCash

I read the post. This is a public forum where people are supposed to be allowed to express their opinions openly. Please refrain from turning this into a place where people behind the anonymity of the internet feel they have license to make derogatory comments implying that someone is incapable of reading or understanding a persons post.
    Got it. I say anything else and you cry to your mod buddy and I get another warning for personal attacks. We've been down this road before.
    I sincerely apologize that you felt I was attacking your level of intelligence.
    Hope we are all good now.

vCash

Just looking at 1 team but Sask had 2 new offensive starters (Watson and Powell) and 3 new defensive (Johnson, Davis and Means) to start the year. where we had 5 on O (Smith, Elly, Harris, Collins and Daniels) and 5 on D (Orange, Diggs, Johnson, Unamba and Dean) that is DOUBLE the amount of starters.

I'm not counting guys like Usher for us or Bladek for the Riders, that were with the team last year but not starters.

And for the record, I'm not making excuses as i expected better but maybe I shouldn't have. Who was it that said for every new starter you have, you can expect one loss?
    The Riders also lost their head coach/DC which would be a significant loss and they lost their at the time starting QB, only a few minutes into the first game.

In a normal year, most CFL teams see fairly significant amount of change over. It's not uncommon to see 2 or 3 new starters for each unit per season. This year there seemed to be a lot of change over. I assume it had to do with the CBA. When I see the word rebuild used for a team, I view that as the team has decided to make changes to their personnel because they aren't happy with where the team is at. They hope to have a good season and challenge for playoffs like all teams want but in reality, their focus is on the next season where they expect to make a big push. So IMO I don't think you go out and spend like they did in free agency bringing in as many big names as they did if you weren't expecting to be really good.

vCash

lol...Hugo merely said if you could take the TIME to read properly. As in: not rush thru it...does not denounce that you are not intelligent. Two different things. The smartest person in the world could speed read and nnot decipher half of it properly

vCash

Wasn't it just last week that you did this very same thing:

If I am being honest, I don't really pay much attention to whatever you post. But good for you.
    and

I actually don't. I am just being straight up and telling the truth. I usually go right past your stuff because I don't care to read it. So I didn't even see you posted similar stuff to what I said.
    So I think its 100% valid that he asks you to read his posts. As far as personal attacks behind the anonymity of the internet, I would suggest you are far from innocent.

- - - Updated - - -

The Riders also lost their head coach/DC which would be a significant loss and they lost their at the time starting QB, only a few minutes into the first game.

In a normal year, most CFL teams see fairly significant amount of change over. It's not uncommon to see 2 or 3 new starters for each unit per season. This year there seemed to be a lot of change over. I assume it had to do with the CBA. When I see the word rebuild used for a team, I view that as the team has decided to make changes to their personnel because they aren't happy with where the team is at. They hope to have a good season and challenge for playoffs like all teams want but in reality, their focus is on the next season where they expect to make a big push. So IMO I don't think you go out and spend like they did in free agency bringing in as many big names as they did if you weren't expecting to be really good.
    Rebuilds in leagues like the NHL take a long time, in the CFL you can do it in a year or two. Teams also rebuild for many different reason, ours was centered around us losing the leagues best player and our leader in Mike Reilly.

At the end of the day I don't care if your opinion is that this isn't a rebuild but mine is.
    #PizStrong

vCash

vCash

Wasn't it just last week that you did this very same thing:

and

So I think its 100% valid that he asks you to read his posts. As far as personal attacks behind the anonymity of the internet, I would suggest you are far from innocent.

- - - Updated - - -

Rebuilds in leagues like the NHL take a long time, in the CFL you can do it in a year or two. Teams also rebuild for many different reason, ours was centered around us losing the leagues best player and our leader in Mike Reilly.

At the end of the day I don't care if your opinion is that this isn't a rebuild but mine is.
    Go ahead and have that opinion. If someone were to ask Brock, I'd be very surprised if he told us that going into this season, the goal was to develop the team with an eye on next year to truly challenge to be the top dog. Looks to me they loaded up thinking they would be near the top.

vCash

Go ahead and have that opinion. If someone were to ask Brock, I'd be very surprised if he told us that going into this season, the goal was to develop the team with an eye on next year to truly challenge to be the top dog. Looks to me they loaded up thinking they would be near the top.
    without a doubt they tried to speed up the rebuild or maybe the better word for it would be retool.
    #PizStrong

vCash

In a league where the majority of contracts are 1 and 2 years, and teams are built mostly on free agents (draft is mostly about Canadian depth players), I don’t believe that traditional rebuilds exist in the CFL.

Yes, there was lots of turnover this season but it was with an eye towards winning this season, not building for the future imo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    In a league where the majority of contracts are 1 and 2 years, and teams are built mostly on free agents (draft is mostly about Canadian depth players), I don’t believe that traditional rebuilds exist in the CFL.

Yes, there was lots of turnover this season but it was with an eye towards winning this season, not building for the future imo.
    I totally agree. A team can retool but saying they are rebuilding in a 9 team league where 3/4 of the league makes the playoffs is making excuses for a team underperforming.

vCash

I totally agree. A team can retool but saying they are rebuilding in a 9 team league where 3/4 of the league makes the playoffs is making excuses for a team underperforming.
    once again you are getting stuck on the wording and making accusations.

To be perfectly clear, I am disappointed in where we are at as I got wrapped up in the glow of all of the free agent signings.
    #PizStrong

vCash

3 Downs: Will Eskimos seek QB help in wake of Harris' injury?
    Dave Naylor and Farhan Lalji discuss whether the Eskimos will seek QB help if Trevor Harris' injury develops into a long-term thing, what's gone wrong in the nation's capital this season, and if McLeod Bethel-Thompson has earned the right to be the Argos' starter next season.

Video link
    https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/3-downs...injury~1776813

I think this is the first I've heard that the injury is to the forearm...

vCash
    Blog Entries

3 Downs: Will Eskimos seek QB help in wake of Harris' injury?
    Dave Naylor and Farhan Lalji discuss whether the Eskimos will seek QB help if Trevor Harris' injury develops into a long-term thing, what's gone wrong in the nation's capital this season, and if McLeod Bethel-Thompson has earned the right to be the Argos' starter next season.

Video link
    https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/3-downs...injury~1776813

I think this is the first I've heard that the injury is to the forearm...
    Wonder who BS might be kicking the tires on...obvious one would be Franklin considering he's a free agent at the end of the year so the price shouldn't be as high.
    Last edited by adb; 09-11-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Wonder who BS might be kicking the tires on.
    Dave Campbell had mentioned on twitter that earlier in the season, there was discussion about the availability of Brandon Bridge. I'm sure BS is probably looking for someone with CFL game experience that won't cost him anything extra (via trade) if he's only needed to stand on the sidelines for a few games. Bridge fits that bill.

vCash

#8?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Dave Campbell had mentioned on twitter that earlier in the season, there was discussion about the availability of Brandon Bridge. I'm sure BS is probably looking for someone with CFL game experience that won't cost him anything extra (via trade) if he's only needed to stand on the sidelines for a few games. Bridge fits that bill.
    I was surprised that Winnipeg didnt try to bring him in when MN went down. I heard talk of Glenn and Willy but Bridge was never mentioned.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Ed Hervey getting absolutely obliterated in the insiders column at The Athletic today.

"• Small league. We all talk. The coaches at B.C. tell us they’re tired of being bullied and threatened by (Ed) Hervey. When we were in Edmonton with Chris (Jones), that guy (Hervey) changed moods every day. Chris just said, ‘**** him. Ignore him.’ In B.C. they can’t."
    "• I’d take (Bryan) Chui as my o-line coach before I’d take (Ed) Hervey as my GM any day. At the end of the day, B.C. is worse than they were last year, and they have the guy who used to be the best QB in the league. Blame the coaches all he wants, but people in the league know who the incompetent one is in B.C."
    "• I’m sure his mom loves him, but (Ed Hervey) is not a man I’d work for. He’s the exact opposite of what you want in a leader. Leaders take responsibility for their actions, not deflect it from their poor mismanagement."
    "• We could play Montreal in the playoffs. Not sure yet, but B.C. won’t be playing us or anyone in the playoffs. Who thought that would happen before the season? **** like paying Duron Carter more than they offered their own free agent, Bo Lokombo, has caught up with the Lions."
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I guess when your team is losing, things get ugly behind the scenes, regardless of the city.

If I'm reading the point right (and correct me if I'm wrong), a current Lions coach is discussing the dissension he noticed when Hervey was with the Eskimos (Chris Jones era). That would single out Jarious Jackson as the quote, would it not?
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-11-2019 at 02:15 PM.

vCash

I don't think so, I think he's saying he worked under Ed in Edmonton and the guys in BC are bitching to him about Ed.

There was also an Edmonton coach who said Sewell is only average now, no longer an impact player.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I don't think so, I think he's saying he worked under Ed in Edmonton and the guys in BC are bitching to him about Ed.

There was also an Edmonton coach who said Sewell is only average now, no longer an impact player.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Interesting perspective on Sewell as well.