Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    True - and we all know my memory isn't what it used to be!!
    I hear ya brother
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Glad they did it right away. It was inevitable! And who can forget...

"Here comes the rush...Ray looking end zone.. FRED. STAMPS. TOUCHDOWN!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ru8mSib-k (go to 4:46)

I love that they featured basically Ray's complete career set of rushes on that Esks promo video
    Nice conversation between RR and JG going down memory lane...https://the-jason-gregor-show-websit.../RayJuly16.mp3
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I can understand tucker being on the wall but my understanding is that Germany isn't on the wall. if that is true then Germany first
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Germany has refused to go up on the wall...no?
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    True - and we all know my memory isn't what it used to be!!
    Memory is always the 2nd thing to go can't remember the 1st
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I think there was a bit of a rift with the EEFC at one point, but it was about 8 years ago (I think) where he had returned to Commonwealth for a game and I had a chance to meet him and get a picture with him. I rarely do that, but it was a fortuitous invitation to watch a game from the alumni room when he was there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Yes for Jim Germany.
    I don't know if they should be on the wall, but if I had the only vote, Ron Forwick, Jim "Long Gone" Thomas and Joe Hollimon would be up there.
    Definitely 4 names I would include. I've mentioned it in another thread, but Charlie Turner should have gone up in 2008 with Chris Morris - two #60s during our 60th season would have been perfect, not to mention that it gets younger fans and older fans both wanting to check out the ceremony.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Anyone else play the Sports interaction "Esks Odds" that they have on their website? I played last time and actually won 4 lower bowl tickets.

vCash

Cool! Didn’t know that was a thing. Thanks Lonnie.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Cool! Didn’t know that was a thing. Thanks Lonnie.
    Ya just noticed they put up one for the next game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Anyone else play the Sports interaction "Esks Odds" that they have on their website? I played last time and actually won 4 lower bowl tickets.
    yeah I do that's also who I do my betting with they tend to have the best odds and good customer service
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Definitely 4 names I would include. I've mentioned it in another thread, but Charlie Turner should have gone up in 2008 with Chris Morris - two #60s during our 60th season would have been perfect, not to mention that it gets younger fans and older fans both wanting to check out the ceremony.
    Am in agreement. One other player I feel deserves to go up is Damon Allen who was the MVP of 2 Eskimo GC victories.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    He was involved in a nasty lawsuit against the club after they brought him back too soon after a knee injury. He was re-injured early in that first game back & sued, alleging that the club & its doctors were negligent & had mis-diagnosed the injury, etc....
    As I recall, it was eventually settled, but he remained estranged from the club for years....

vCash

vCash

Depth chart up O'Donnell out, Deane in, no other changes
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I wonder what will happen with the Esks roster once some of their big named free agents are healthy. I heard Gregor talk about it the other day saying the Esks are going to have cap problems when some of these high end injured guys come back. Supposedly according to Gregor, Knox is now healthy and could play but they aren't putting him in yet. Could a guy like Bazzie get cut? He's only started to be listed on the depth chart a few weeks ago and I don't think he's played yet. This isn't me ragging on poor Bazzie it just looks like Usher beat him out for the job and if that is the case, he's a very expensive back up. When I look and see Rogers, Orange, Knox, Unamba all on the injured list, those are I assume fairly expensive guys so when they are all ready to go, that's a lot of money they have to find room for.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I wonder what will happen with the Esks roster once some of their big named free agents are healthy. I heard Gregor talk about it the other day saying the Esks are going to have cap problems when some of these high end injured guys come back. Supposedly according to Gregor, Knox is now healthy and could play but they aren't putting him in yet. Could a guy like Bazzie get cut? He's only started to be listed on the depth chart a few weeks ago and I don't think he's played yet. This isn't me ragging on poor Bazzie it just looks like Usher beat him out for the job and if that is the case, he's a very expensive back up. When I look and see Rogers, Orange, Knox, Unamba all on the injured list, those are I assume fairly expensive guys so when they are all ready to go, that's a lot of money they have to find room for.
    Bazzie could definitely be the odd man out on defence.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Bazzie could definitely be the odd man out on defence.
    I really hadn't thought much about it until Gregor mentioned it this week about how tight the Esks are against the cap and what might happen once these guys get healthy. I got no clue what those guys make but all those guys were really good players last year, maybe even all all stars. It wouldn't shock me if combined, they were making 600K, maybe more. That's only 150K a piece. I bet Rogers pushes 200K.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I really hadn't thought much about it until Gregor mentioned it this week about how tight the Esks are against the cap and what might happen once these guys get healthy. I got no clue what those guys make but all those guys were really good players last year, maybe even all all stars. It wouldn't shock me if combined, they were making 600K, maybe more. That's only 150K a piece. I bet Rogers pushes 200K.
    but they were included in the original cap costs and their salary, while on the 6 game, doesn't count against the cap. So even if they make 600k together, only 400k of it would be on the cap. We have a few value contracts playing, namely Diggs, that have allowed us to make sure those guys are healthy and I'm sure backed us off the cap a little. Where it is going to get interesting is around that guaranteed contract time, will we make any vet cuts then? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I have a feeling we don't know the whole story on Bazzie either as if we were struggling with the cap, it wouldn't make sense to have a highly paid player sit.

vCash

but they were included in the original cap costs and their salary, while on the 6 game, doesn't count against the cap. So even if they make 600k together, only 400k of it would be on the cap. We have a few value contracts playing, namely Diggs, that have allowed us to make sure those guys are healthy and I'm sure backed us off the cap a little. Where it is going to get interesting is around that guaranteed contract time, will we make any vet cuts then? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I have a feeling we don't know the whole story on Bazzie either as if we were struggling with the cap, it wouldn't make sense to have a highly paid player sit.
    True but they are also having to bring in extra guys to cover off for injuries. I am just commenting on what I heard on the radio from Gregor who said exactly what I said. He's a sports reporter who's job it is to know this stuff, so I am assuming he's not lying about it. I am not bashing your boy Brock, don't worry. The team is playing well and so far it looks like the guys he's brought in are working out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Depth chart up O'Donnell out, Deane in, no other changes
    I’m surprised that Bond is not on the active game roster instead....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    I’m surprised that Bond is not on the active game roster instead....
    Deane is Canadian so they don't have to change up another position ratio wise like they would have if Bond was put in.

vCash

Another cool promo.

vCash

True but they are also having to bring in extra guys to cover off for injuries. I am just commenting on what I heard on the radio from Gregor who said exactly what I said. He's a sports reporter who's job it is to know this stuff, so I am assuming he's not lying about it. I am not bashing your boy Brock, don't worry. The team is playing well and so far it looks like the guys he's brought in are working out.
    Come on Q, we were having a conversation, at least that's what I thought. I don't doubt that we are up against the cap and are having to get creative but we and I doubt Gregor have all of the information so we can make assumptions but that's all they are.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I think there was a bit of a rift with the EEFC at one point, but it was about 8 years ago (I think) where he had returned to Commonwealth for a game and I had a chance to meet him and get a picture with him. I rarely do that, but it was a fortuitous invitation to watch a game from the alumni room when he was there.
    Didn't JG have a falling out with the team after his knee injury/treatment that ultimately led to his retirement? I was always under the impression that was the root cause of the rift

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    He was involved in a nasty lawsuit against the club after they brought him back too soon after a knee injury. He was re-injured early in that first game back & sued, alleging that the club & its doctors were negligent & had mis-diagnosed the injury, etc....
    As I recall, it was eventually settled, but he remained estranged from the club for years....
    Thanks for this. A lot of guys had great careers cut short simply due to the lack of medical knowledge that exists today
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

For those wondering why we only dress 1 backup OL, take a look at the special teams units (1/3 of the game). Besides, Field Goal, the OL doesn't play on specs. All the other units have specs players. We essentially dress 1 less OL, so we have 1 more cover guy. Specifically, my guess is we dress an extra FB for that special team role.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    For those wondering why we only dress 1 backup OL, take a look at the special teams units (1/3 of the game). Besides, Field Goal, the OL doesn't play on specs. All the other units have specs players. We essentially dress 1 less OL, so we have 1 more cover guy. Specifically, my guess is we dress an extra FB for that special team role.
    Also the extra Dlineman in Mackie who plays teams as well this season...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    with the roster sizes we have, there are always going to be risks. What I don't understand is why they don't allow all the teams to dress all 46 players on their active roster.

vCash

with the roster sizes we have, there are always going to be risks. What I don't understand is why they don't allow all the teams to dress all 46 players on their active roster.
    Totally agree with this. Likely has to do with travel costs and extra expenses for teams that are the away team. Just me , but I think it makes the league look kinda "Mickey Mouse" .