Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 841

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

  1. #391
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,253
    vCash
    6028
    Rep Power
    893

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    He did it last year, I believe the Esks were the least, or one of the least penalized teams in the second half of last season. Unfortunately that's when the losing started as well lol.
    Yes, it worked well in the back half of 2018. I think the key is to pull repeat offenders into the film room and do some review of how close calls are and how much silly calls cost the team. One on one reviews. You don't want to put a player on the spot in front of his team mates, but you do need to stress how they are hurting the team. It seems like every year there are 3 or 4 guys to focus on.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  2. #392
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,819
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    99

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    In game a coaches hands are almost tied as the only thing you can do is sit a guy but when you have limited backups, that becomes very tough to do. I think the league, as a whole, needs to cut out these ticky tacky borderline calls and let the game play out. Its frustrating to watch right now as you are looking for a flag after almost every play.
    I agree. If a player does something stupid then the coach needs to do something about it. So if Maas didn't, I'd have an issue. But as you said, there is a lot of ticky tack stuff that is called and I think part of the Esks problem is somehow they have a "Rep" as a penalty team. So if it's close, the ref will call it where as other teams don't have those calls go against. So IMO, I don't know how a team gets rid of that rep short of not playing hard. I think Dickenson is a real good coach but I don't buy that a team like Calgary is just so much more superior in how they are coached ad they play just this so much more cleaner brand of ball.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  3. #393
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,572
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    598

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I agree. If a player does something stupid then the coach needs to do something about it. So if Maas didn't, I'd have an issue. But as you said, there is a lot of ticky tack stuff that is called and I think part of the Esks problem is somehow they have a "Rep" as a penalty team. So if it's close, the ref will call it where as other teams don't have those calls go against. So IMO, I don't know how a team gets rid of that rep short of not playing hard. I think Dickenson is a real good coach but I don't buy that a team like Calgary is just so much more superior in how they are coached ad they play just this so much more cleaner brand of ball.
    Agreed, its kinds like Brad Marchand in the NHL, he's not going to get ANY borderline calls.
    #PizStrong

  4. #394
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    370
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    i agree Looner... to some extent... just let em play...

    reffing is bad in all leagues, cant be perfect.

  5. #395
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,572
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    598

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    i agree Looner... to some extent... just let em play...

    reffing is bad in all leagues, cant be perfect.
    My bar has always been:

    1. If its dangerous ..... call it
    2. If it directly effected the play...... call it

    Anything else should be let go.
    #PizStrong

  6. #396
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,783
    vCash
    5580
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    ^ Great Mantra, too bad instant replay ruins it. Coaches are challenging things 50 yards away from the ball now.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

    Vince Lombardi

  7. #397
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,572
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    598

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    ^ Great Mantra, too bad instant replay ruins it. Coaches are challenging things 50 yards away from the ball now.
    for sure but common sense should come into play. If a QB takes a 3 step drops and fires the ball to a player on the left side of the field, I don't care if someone on the right got interfered with. Now if he looks off that player and goes back to the right, throw the flag.
    #PizStrong

  8. #398
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,391
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    244

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Problem is, that sets up a whole wealth of grey areas. The ref would have to decide: was that player a possible receiver? Did the QB look off the defender? Did they design a play to "hide" a potential target? No way the officials will have the information and vision of the field to be able to make those calls.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  9. #399
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,572
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    598

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Problem is, that sets up a whole wealth of grey areas. The ref would have to decide: was that player a possible receiver? Did the QB look off the defender? Did they design a play to "hide" a potential target? No way the officials will have the information and vision of the field to be able to make those calls.
    absolutely very tough to call that way but there are WAY to many flags so far this year, which I think happens at the start of every year, makes it tougher to watch IMO
    #PizStrong

  10. #400
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    25,322
    vCash
    2715
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    There is no doubt that while penalties and officiating in the CFL are an issue that affects the product, the Edmonton Eskimos are an undisciplined team.

    But all teams have issues with flags in kick and punt return plays. It's a league wide issue. Same with holding by offensive linemen.

    Either the refs are calling the games too tight or the players aren't good enough to block without blatantly holding.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #401
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,391
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    244

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    The Esks definitely have a problem with penalties this year. They have almost twice as many yards as the next nearest team (or did, until last night).
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  12. #402
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,783
    vCash
    5580
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    There is no doubt that while penalties and officiating in the CFL are an issue that affects the product, the Edmonton Eskimos are an undisciplined team.

    But all teams have issues with flags in kick and punt return plays. It's a league wide issue. Same with holding by offensive linemen.

    Either the refs are calling the games too tight or the players aren't good enough to block without blatantly holding.
    I don't mind a flag, but I want to see the replay of what happened, and I don't want them to take 45 seconds to walk it off. It also needs to be announced properly. Yes we can see a replay before the next play is snapped, before someone jumps me for that comment. And yes I realize part of it is a TSN issue.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

    Vince Lombardi

  13. #403
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,496
    vCash
    15407
    Rep Power
    101

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I don't mind a flag, but I want to see the replay of what happened, and I don't want them to take 45 seconds to walk it off. It also needs to be announced properly. Yes we can see a replay before the next play is snapped, before someone jumps me for that comment. And yes I realize part of it is a TSN issue.
    The eye in the sky is helping with the calls, but man is it ever slowing the game down.

    An example yesterday which never actually got explained but the crews were reviewing something while the clock was running and it wasted almost an entire minute.

    Play 143 was snapped at 7:02 and Hamilton completed a pass to Tasker for 10 yards where he was pushed out of bounds. The officials talked about something, don't know what, but as a result play 144 wasn't snapped until 5:57. This was in the 4th quarter when Hamilton was down 18 points, pretty sure they would have liked to get the play whistled in a lot quicker than that.

  14. #404
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,572
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    598

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    The eye in the sky is helping with the calls, but man is it ever slowing the game down.

    An example yesterday which never actually got explained but the crews were reviewing something while the clock was running and it wasted almost an entire minute.

    Play 143 was snapped at 7:02 and Hamilton completed a pass to Tasker for 10 yards where he was pushed out of bounds. The officials talked about something, don't know what, but as a result play 144 wasn't snapped until 5:57. This was in the 4th quarter when Hamilton was down 18 points, pretty sure they would have liked to get the play whistled in a lot quicker than that.
    wow thats crazy, I never noticed that
    #PizStrong

  15. #405
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,495
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    67

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    The eye in the sky is helping with the calls, but man is it ever slowing the game down.

    An example yesterday which never actually got explained but the crews were reviewing something while the clock was running and it wasted almost an entire minute.

    Play 143 was snapped at 7:02 and Hamilton completed a pass to Tasker for 10 yards where he was pushed out of bounds. The officials talked about something, don't know what, but as a result play 144 wasn't snapped until 5:57. This was in the 4th quarter when Hamilton was down 18 points, pretty sure they would have liked to get the play whistled in a lot quicker than that.
    The clock should stop running while they sort out the play, especially if a flag is shown. Mind you, the referee was Al Barrellbury so anything’s possible....
    Last edited by writfiler; 07-05-2019 at 02:53 PM.

  16. #406
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,496
    vCash
    15407
    Rep Power
    101

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    The click should stop running while they sort out the play, especially if a flag is shown. Mind you, the referee was Al Barrellbury so anything’s possible....
    I agree and fortunately it does stop on a flag. The problem here was that no flag was thrown and they were just discussing something so the clock never stopped.

  17. #407
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,395
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Fun fact:

    Average penalties per game (yards in parentheses) * only includes accepted penalties

    Other reffing crews over 9 games : 17 calls (171 yards)
    Bradbury crew over 3 games : 24 calls (259 yards)

    This league has a Bradbury problem.

  18. #408
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,585
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    161

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Fun fact:

    Average penalties per game (yards in parentheses) * only includes accepted penalties

    Other reffing crews over 9 games : 17 calls (171 yards)
    Bradbury crew over 3 games : 24 calls (259 yards)

    This league has a Bradbury problem.
    I have a bradbury problem.

  19. #409
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    512
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Fun fact:

    Average penalties per game (yards in parentheses) * only includes accepted penalties

    Other reffing crews over 9 games : 17 calls (171 yards)
    Bradbury crew over 3 games : 24 calls (259 yards)

    This league has a Bradbury problem.
    And each one of those calls takes the Bradbury crew over 3 mins to sort out. ITS A NO YARDS CALL WTF IS TAKING SO LONG TO CALL IT !!!
    Is it game day yet?????

  20. #410
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,222
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The Eskimos aren't leading the league by a wide margin (twice as many penalty yards and penalties as the next worst team) because the refs hate the Eskimos. Coaching DOES have something to do with it.
    Exactly. To those who ask what is Maas supposed to do about the penalties isnít that akin to asking what is the foreman supposed to do when the workers donít show up on time or are unproductive?

    IMO pro sports is the same as any other workplace arrangement. Maas is the one that has been put in charge of the players and it therefore falls upon him to correct issues such as a lack of discipline, that arise with the players.

  21. #411
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,253
    vCash
    6028
    Rep Power
    893

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  22. #412
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,495
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    67

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Pretty much an even-up swap with Smith & CMT.

  23. #413
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,844
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    206

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    The Edmonton Eskimos introduce a new $22 general admission pass – marking the lowest cost of entry to Esks home games in nearly a decade.
    “We’ve heard from our fans that affordability is a barrier to more people attending games. We needed to address that and didn’t want to wait until next season,” says Mandy Johnston, Eskimos Interim President and Vice President of Finance and Business Administration.
    “There is no thrill like Eskimos Football when the stadium is energized by tens of thousands of fans cheering on the Green and Gold, both for the fans and for team performance. We hope this adjustment will allow more to be a part of our live game-day environment, which is one of the best in the league.”
    The $22 general admission pass, named the Empire North Pass, is available for each regular-season home game and includes all taxes and fees when purchased before game day. On game day, the price is $25, including all taxes and fees.
    The pass gains fans entry to the stadium to gather as they please. General admission seating for purchasers is now open in the north endzone — located under the scoreboard, in the sections previously covered by sponsor tarps — should they want a seat. Assigned seating in the stadium remains available in all East and West in-bowl sections.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The Eskimos are partnering with the City of Edmonton to provide this free youth admission for our summer home games. Both organizations are thrilled to open our gates to youth to experience and develop a deeper love for Eskimos Football,” says Johnston.
    New pricing and free youth admission is available immediately.
    In Rod we trust

  24. #414
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    City of Champs
    Posts
    17,076
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Definitely a step in the right direction.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

    Superbowl Champs 2013.

  25. #415
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,012
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    163

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    The Edmonton Eskimos introduce a new $22 general admission pass – marking the lowest cost of entry to Esks home games in nearly a decade.
    “We’ve heard from our fans that affordability is a barrier to more people attending games. We needed to address that and didn’t want to wait until next season,” says Mandy Johnston, Eskimos Interim President and Vice President of Finance and Business Administration.
    “There is no thrill like Eskimos Football when the stadium is energized by tens of thousands of fans cheering on the Green and Gold, both for the fans and for team performance. We hope this adjustment will allow more to be a part of our live game-day environment, which is one of the best in the league.”
    The $22 general admission pass, named the Empire North Pass, is available for each regular-season home game and includes all taxes and fees when purchased before game day. On game day, the price is $25, including all taxes and fees.
    The pass gains fans entry to the stadium to gather as they please. General admission seating for purchasers is now open in the north endzone — located under the scoreboard, in the sections previously covered by sponsor tarps — should they want a seat. Assigned seating in the stadium remains available in all East and West in-bowl sections.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The Eskimos are partnering with the City of Edmonton to provide this free youth admission for our summer home games. Both organizations are thrilled to open our gates to youth to experience and develop a deeper love for Eskimos Football,” says Johnston.
    New pricing and free youth admission is available immediately.
    Credit where it’s due.. this seems to be an amazing deal!

  26. #416
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,819
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    99

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Where is my credit!! I think I mentioned that tickets are way too high and they need to introduce cheap tickets to get them in the door 3 or 4 times last year.

    It's a great move by the Esks. When it's 40 or 50 per seat to sit in the highest rows in Commonwealth, that's too much especially for a casual fan who are the people they want to get coming more often. Once you get people in the door, they are going to spend on money on food or drinks. But you have to get them in the door first. Asking someone to pay $50 to sit in row 70 with the selling point you can watch 12 mins of some washed up rapper, doesn't do it. I am glad that are finally figuring out something that I didn't think was hard.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  27. #417
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    512
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    The Edmonton Eskimos introduce a new $22 general admission pass – marking the lowest cost of entry to Esks home games in nearly a decade.
    “We’ve heard from our fans that affordability is a barrier to more people attending games. We needed to address that and didn’t want to wait until next season,” says Mandy Johnston, Eskimos Interim President and Vice President of Finance and Business Administration.
    “There is no thrill like Eskimos Football when the stadium is energized by tens of thousands of fans cheering on the Green and Gold, both for the fans and for team performance. We hope this adjustment will allow more to be a part of our live game-day environment, which is one of the best in the league.”
    The $22 general admission pass, named the Empire North Pass, is available for each regular-season home game and includes all taxes and fees when purchased before game day. On game day, the price is $25, including all taxes and fees.
    The pass gains fans entry to the stadium to gather as they please. General admission seating for purchasers is now open in the north endzone — located under the scoreboard, in the sections previously covered by sponsor tarps — should they want a seat. Assigned seating in the stadium remains available in all East and West in-bowl sections.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The Eskimos are partnering with the City of Edmonton to provide this free youth admission for our summer home games. Both organizations are thrilled to open our gates to youth to experience and develop a deeper love for Eskimos Football,” says Johnston.
    New pricing and free youth admission is available immediately.
    Finally the Esks address what is IMO, the main problem driving the slow decline in attendance. $50 to get in the door is asking too much. I always have to gulp pretty hard whenever I want to bring the family along for a game because I know its going to cost me an extra $200 that game. But, at $22 bucks for the wifey and kids free.... lets just say that our tailgate is going to be much busier this year!

    Now, can the Eskimos actually do this thing right and promote the crap out of it, or is it going to remain an insider secret.
    Is it game day yet?????

  28. #418
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,253
    vCash
    6028
    Rep Power
    893

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    I also like the fact that they are focusing seats in the lower bowl. No offense to upper deck season ticket holders (especially those that have been sitting up there for decades), but unfortunately there will come a day where they will relocate everyone to the lower bowl for regular season games. It just seems inevitable.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  29. #419
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,572
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    598

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Where is my credit!! I think I mentioned that tickets are way too high and they need to introduce cheap tickets to get them in the door 3 or 4 times last year.

    It's a great move by the Esks. When it's 40 or 50 per seat to sit in the highest rows in Commonwealth, that's too much especially for a casual fan who are the people they want to get coming more often. Once you get people in the door, they are going to spend on money on food or drinks. But you have to get them in the door first. Asking someone to pay $50 to sit in row 70 with the selling point you can watch 12 mins of some washed up rapper, doesn't do it. I am glad that are finally figuring out something that I didn't think was hard.
    If you need credit, I'll give it to you as this is something you've been trumpeting for sometime.
    #PizStrong

  30. #420
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,844
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    206

    Re: 2019 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Where is my credit!! I think I mentioned that tickets are way too high and they need to introduce cheap tickets to get them in the door 3 or 4 times last year.

    It's a great move by the Esks. When it's 40 or 50 per seat to sit in the highest rows in Commonwealth, that's too much especially for a casual fan who are the people they want to get coming more often. Once you get people in the door, they are going to spend on money on food or drinks. But you have to get them in the door first. Asking someone to pay $50 to sit in row 70 with the selling point you can watch 12 mins of some washed up rapper, doesn't do it. I am glad that are finally figuring out something that I didn't think was hard.
    Thank you Q Thank you for proving that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then =P
    In Rod we trust

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •