Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    And he played through it! You think a guy would pull himself out of the game when something like that happens in the first quarter but nope, he finished the game!

- - - Updated - - -

What's this all about? She doesn't seem like she was ever actually an Eskimo fan, all she does is troll here nowadays. She's basically just Herveys Rotor.
    While she clearly has an allegiance to Ed, I feel she is respectful in her interactions in here.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Agreed. She has her loyalties, but don't we all? I hope she hangs around.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Yep agreed Glen is the only one I really have beef with....he thinks he's so great being a math prof with all his legions of groupies and paparazzi always hanging around...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Yep agreed Glen is the only one I really have beef with....he thinks he's so great being a math prof with all his legions of groupies and paparazzi always hanging around...
    Glen with all his fancy numbers and stuff, thinking he's all high and mighty

vCash

It's a delicate balance between offering opinion and respecting the home team when you are on an opposing team's fan forum. I know I've crossed the line a couple times on other sites. Smartie123 offers good football insight and I appreciate that. I would think the closest thing to a poop disturber (or troll as you wish to call it) in recent years has been Childress.

By the way, Fred Stamps has just under 8000 yards in his eight seasons with the Esks. Manny Arceneaux had just over 8000 in his eight years as a Lion. I see lots of Lions fans calling Manny a legend as well. I am fine with that.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Glen with all his fancy numbers and stuff, thinking he's all high and mighty
    I know right and then if he wins the pool he'll be UNSUFFERABLE it's like he's Regina George from mean girls...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

You just WISH you had groupies. I can't even get past them to my math department office some mornings.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Why is it that a writer in Winnipeg can produce a better story on the Eskimos than the Edmonton media can?

Really cool article about how Shai Ross and Alex Taylor are actually half-siblings.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...511263032.html
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I did not know that!
    Should listen more to the Eskimo Empire Podcast - we talked about that in a few episodes now.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Should listen more to the Eskimo Empire Podcast - we talked about that in a few episodes now.
    Sorry bro..,..

Been a while since I tuned in.. my bad

vCash

You just WISH you had groupies. I can't even get past them to my math department office some mornings.
    I'm now imagining you looking like your avatar and dealing with Indiana Jones style office meeting requests

https://i.stack.imgur.com/noW3Q.jpg

R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    I'm now imagining you looking like your avatar and dealing with Indiana Jones style office meeting requests

https://i.stack.imgur.com/noW3Q.jpg

Nah he doesn't I on the other hand have been told I have Rod Black's rugged good looks.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Think more George Clooney. With glasses.

vCash

Sorry bro..,..

Been a while since I tuned in.. my bad
    The guests have progressively been going downhill recently.

vCash

While she clearly has an allegiance to Ed, I feel she is respectful in her interactions in here.
    Fred Stamps is going to be in the hall of fame. To many, he was a real bright spot and a talent on a team that went through a lot of struggles. I have no issue with people defending him, his status, etc.

There are instances where I've found myself with contacts that see things up-close and behind the curtain, and paint a different picture of a player, their character, their work ethic, their aptitude for the playbook, etc - and it doesn't always jibe with what one would see publicly. To be clear, I've never heard anything, nor specifically asked anything about Fred Stamps specifically, but I have enough trust in Smartie's connections to believe that she has heard, from someone she trusts, that there were some other sides to the picture. It doesn't mean that people have to share that opinion, but I don't believe for one second that she's making it up. If anything, I'd question the timing of doing it while a guy is in town to be honoured, but I have been faced with the dilemma before of having one narrative out there, and having knowledge of another narrative from insiders, and deciding whether to say anything, stay quiet, or try and walk the line down the middle.

There are lots of people that have had their appreciation/loyalty to the Esks tested, altered, or outright lost as a result of what happened with/to Hervey. That doesn't mean that they weren't ever Eskimo fans. She hasn't been covert about her loyalties having changed and that some of her allegiances to people were stronger to that of the EEFC. To me, there is value added through her contributions, and it is likely hard enough to participate in a forum where the majority do not share one's perspective. My hope is that she isn't chased off... and I have a hunch that she's too tough-minded to be... but it comes down to whether there is value in continuing to post for her if there can't be dialogue around dissenting opinions.

vCash

TRUTH!!
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Winnipeg has placed receivers Chris Matthews and Rasheed Bailey as well as G Patrick Neufeld on the one game injured list for tomorrow's game against the Lions in Vancouver.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Taking in warm-ups from the field level end zone seats. A couple of fun observations:

- Godfrey Onyeka is a real class act. Took time to pass the football back and forth with fans in the stands before going back to the tunnel.

- Scott Hutter, a DB on the practice roster, was taking extra time to talk to defensive assistant Oswalt one-on-one in practice roster walkthroughs. He stood out from his teammates with how much communication he did and how intently he followed Oswalt around. It's one of those "little character things" that will bode well for the future.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Taking in warm-ups from the field level end zone seats. A couple of fun observations:

- Godfrey Onyeka is a real class act. Took time to pass the football back and forth with fans in the stands before going back to the tunnel.

- Scott Hutter, a DB on the practice roster, was taking extra time to talk to defensive assistant Oswalt one-on-one in practice roster walkthroughs. He stood out from his teammates with how much communication he did and how intently he followed Oswalt around. It's one of those "little character things" that will bode well for the future.
    Yeah I saw Onyeka out there doing that I was like that's awesome
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Yeah I saw Onyeka out there doing that I was like that's awesome
    Me too and was going to post on it but OK beat me to it. That type of thing builds fans.

vCash

Holy cow!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Fair point, and I respect you too much to argue with you just because opinions differ, but I think that's part of the point. I think because of individual situations as CFL fans, we are all entitled to our perspectives. One of my heroes is former Eskimo D-lineman Ron Forwick. He played with the Eskimos for 10 seasons, 1965-74 (also during some very bad years). He was a four time all star and always left it all on the field and despite never winning a Cup, or leading the league in sacks, or getting into the hall of fame, he's a legend in my eyes. To me it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about him. If somebody wants to call Fred Stamps, or Adarius Bowman, or Terry Vaughn or Kamau Peterson a legend, it's all in what the player meant to that individual as a CFL fan. My opinion may differ, but I can't deny how a CFL fan feels about their heroes.

...and for the record, I also agree that Terry Vaughn deserves some more love. To me the definition of YAC is Terry Vaughn. No one was better (at least in my opinion )
    Thank you for understanding that we can all have different opinions.

Vaughn retired a stamp..

I can only assume your points are true.. I’ve never heard anyone saying anything about Fred so I’ll assume there true.. and how we changed coaches and ocs every year ( x2 a year ) I’m not surprised lol

But for me there are many factors that go into ‘legend’

And I can hand on heart say that during that rough rough patch from 06-10 where we sucked donkey balls every year..Fred was one of the lone shining lights and really Did things to make u smile on gamedays.. stamps always showed up.. stamps was a great eskimo..

There are many who have many many more accolades and titles and stats than Freddy duece. He’s one of my personal top 5 eskimos of all time.. to me he’s a eskimo legend and THATS all that matters..
    I never said he was a bad player or a bad person. We can disagree about the legend part. I’m stating my opinion just like everyone else does on here - and just like you are doing in this post.

This! As you said he was one of the lone bright spots through a lot of bad years (years in which I doubt smartie even paid attention to the Esks due to Ed not being our GM yet at that point). He routinely made some of the best catches I've ever seen, and at key moments too. His diving catch across the back of the endzone to beat Calgary with 9 seconds left on the clock is still one of my favorite Eskimo memories. The numbers speak for themselves, one of the best ever in Green and Gold, damn shame the guy never got a ring.
    Actually, you’re wrong....but you go ahead & believe whatever narrative makes you feel good.
    For the record, that particular game in August 2009 - I was living in Toronto & forced all my friends to watch it & we took over the lounge at the Keg on Bay & got everyone into it, mainly supporting the Eskimos. Fred had an amazing game. So there you go. Ask me more to test my memory. It’ll be fun.

Respect the heck out of ya Smartie but when the most respected Eskimo employee of all time, has this to say, I think I 'll take his word for it.

Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    The guy literally gave his left nut to help this team win. Even if you forgot about all of this stats, that itself was the stuff of legends.
    Fair point

And he played through it! You think a guy would pull himself out of the game when something like that happens in the first quarter but nope, he finished the game!
    - - - Updated - - -
    What's this all about? She doesn't seem like she was ever actually an Eskimo fan, all she does is troll here nowadays. She's basically just Herveys Rotor.
    You have some nerve & I wonder if you would be so brave to say this to my face as you are willing to type it while you hide behind an electronic device.
    You don’t deserve this explanation but I’m going to give it because you’re so ignorant.

We immigrated to Canada many years ago. My father had lived here already for some time & knew about the dynasty & Warren Moon & loved that a black QB had led that charge & loved what he thought that meant this organization stood for....all contributing to me growing up in Calgary as an Eskimos fan. My loyalty to the Eskimos & my love for CFL football never wavered through that time. Then I moved to Edmonton & happened to move in the same social circles as many of the players. That added another layer to why I supported the team.
    However, I also saw from multiple perspectives what really happened with the different coaching regimes & management regimes (including Brock) & presidents & I see how my friends have been treated & the attempts to vilify some of them & I won’t stand for that.
    Integrity is important to me, and I can’t blindly support any team, especially one that is community owned. I stayed through the Eric years because I thought that would be a blip because he didn’t last long anywhere, but that was tough....and then those blips kept happening even though there were/are multiple opportunities to avoid them. These blips include how some players & staff (no, not just Ed) were treated, and the narratives portrayed in the media that aren’t how I know them to be.

So don’t confuse things & call me a troll when, really, I just happen to say some things with which you disagree. I have just as much right to be on this forum as you or anyone else regardless of which team I support, or whether or not you agree with what I have to say. This forum is usually a good place to chat all things CFL because it’s not usually just fanboys; lots of people know their stuff & I have learned a lot over the years. It just so happens that I now support BC for multiple reasons, but it’s not the same in nature or in degree. So get over yourself & stop trying to vilify me. (That’s the polite version.)

And by the way PLOT TWIST:
    Fred was my friend when he played in Edmonton, even when I was living elsewhere & I know he still has my back & vice-versa. Nothing I said is anything people around him didn’t know or didn’t say. If you read my post, I said he was a really good receiver, but I didn’t think he was a legend - and that I think there are some other people that come to mind first for this honour for various reasons. That’s not trolling - and if you think it is, you need to get a life.

P.S. Mr. Ben
    If you had gone back & looked at my posts through the years, you would have known better than to say these things about me. Maybe do your homework next time before you decide to diss.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 06-16-2019 at 03:50 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    It's a delicate balance between offering opinion and respecting the home team when you are on an opposing team's fan forum. I know I've crossed the line a couple times on other sites. Smartie123 offers good football insight and I appreciate that. I would think the closest thing to a poop disturber (or troll as you wish to call it) in recent years has been Childress.

By the way, Fred Stamps has just under 8000 yards in his eight seasons with the Esks. Manny Arceneaux had just over 8000 in his eight years as a Lion. I see lots of Lions fans calling Manny a legend as well. I am fine with that.
    Just to be clear, I don’t think Manny’s a “legend” either

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Just to be clear, I don’t think Manny’s a “legend” either
    I’m with you on that one. Highly overrated IMO.
    Is it game day yet?????

You have some nerve & I wonder if you would be so brave to say this to my face as you are willing to type it while you hide behind an electronic device.
    You don’t deserve this explanation but I’m going to give it because you’re so ignorant.

We immigrated to Canada many years ago. My father had lived here already for some time & knew about the dynasty & Warren Moon & loved that a black QB had led that charge & loved what he thought that meant this organization stood for....all contributing to me growing up in Calgary as an Eskimos fan. My loyalty to the Eskimos & my love for CFL football never wavered through that time. Then I moved to Edmonton & happened to move in the same social circles as many of the players. That added another layer to why I supported the team.
    However, I also saw from multiple perspectives what really happened with the different coaching regimes & management regimes (including Brock) & presidents & I see how my friends have been treated & the attempts to vilify some of them & I won’t stand for that.
    Integrity is important to me, and I can’t blindly support any team, especially one that is community owned. I stayed through the Eric years because I thought that would be a blip because he didn’t last long anywhere, but that was tough....and then those blips kept happening even though there were/are multiple opportunities to avoid them. These blips include how some players & staff (no, not just Ed) were treated, and the narratives portrayed in the media that aren’t how I know them to be.

So don’t confuse things & call me a troll when, really, I just happen to say some things with which you disagree. I have just as much right to be on this forum as you or anyone else regardless of which team I support, or whether or not you agree with what I have to say. This forum is usually a good place to chat all things CFL because it’s not usually just fanboys; lots of people know their stuff & I have learned a lot over the years. It just so happens that I now support BC for multiple reasons, but it’s not the same in nature or in degree. So get over yourself & stop trying to vilify me. (That’s the polite version.)

And by the way PLOT TWIST:
    Fred was my friend when he played in Edmonton, even when I was living elsewhere & I know he still has my back & vice-versa. Nothing I said is anything people around him didn’t know or didn’t say. If you read my post, I said he was a really good receiver, but I didn’t think he was a legend - and that I think there are some other people that come to mind first for this honour for various reasons. That’s not trolling - and if you think it is, you need to get a life.

P.S. Mr. Ben
    If you had gone back & looked at my posts through the years, you would have known better than to say these things about me. Maybe do your homework next time before you decide to diss.
    Despite your standard internet forum rebuttal, I am certainly not one of these keyboard warriors who forgets how to act civil as soon as I get in front of a computer screen. I've been on this forum for ten years now, and have met a number of posters on this board in person over that time. My reputation is important to me so I have a rule in which I attempt to conduct myself respectfully around here the same way I would in real life, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call it as I see it.

I may disagree with some of your posts but that's neither here nor there really, if everyone agreed with each other all the time there would be no such thing as discussion after all, that's not what I take issue with. Now, I obviously don't know you beyond what I gleam from your posts around here, and there's a good chance that if I met you we'd get along just fine, but from what I've seen your posts come across a little arrogant, and your main objective around here appears to me to be reminding us all of how stupid we were to let Hervey go - as if that was something any of us had control over or wanted.

When that event took place, I went through a period of disillusionment with this club that I have never experienced in my life as an Eskimo fan, that event shook me as a fan, and caused me to do some deep reflecting on what I put into this team emotionally in relation to what I expect to get out of it in return, that was a dark few months for my Eskie fandom. I would probably have been more inclined to give up the game all together before I'd be able to switch allegiances and keep watching, I guess we're different in that way and that's fine. Eventually I decided to pick up the pieces and move on, with the resolution to make the best out of a bad situation, others it appears, seem intent on shaming those of us who prefer to continue to support the organization in hopes that it will right it's course.

It's completely possible that my perception does not align with your intentions, and that I've misread the tone of your posts, I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, and if I am I sincerely apologize, but at this point in time it appears to me that you have a particular agenda.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 06-16-2019 at 08:09 PM.

vCash

Despite your standard internet forum rebuttal, I am certainly not one of these keyboard warriors who forgets how to act civil as soon as I get in front of a computer screen. I've been on this forum for ten years now, and have met a number of posters on this board in person over that time. My reputation is important to me so I have a rule in which I attempt to conduct myself respectfully around here the same way I would in real life, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call a spade a spade when I see one.

I may disagree with some of your posts but that's neither here nor there really, if everyone agreed with each other all the time there would be no such thing as discussion after all, that's not what I take issue with. Now, I obviously don't know you beyond what I gleam from your posts around here, and there's a good chance that if I met you we'd get along just fine, but from what I've seen your posts come across a little arrogant, and your main objective around here appears to me to be reminding us all of how stupid we were to let Hervey go - as if that was something any of us had control over or wanted.

When that event took place, I went through a period of disillusionment with this club that I have never experienced in my life as an Eskimo fan, that event shook me as a fan, and caused me to do some deep reflecting on what I put into this team emotionally in relation to what I expect to get out of it in return, that was a dark few months for my Eskie fandom. I would probably have been more inclined to give up the game all together before I'd be able to switch allegiances and keep watching, I guess we're different in that way and that's fine. Eventually I decided to pick up the pieces and move on, with the resolution to make the best out of a bad situation, others it appears, seem intent on shaming those of us who prefer to continue to support the organization in hopes that it will right it's course.

It's completely possible that my perception does not align with your intentions, and that I've misread the tone of your posts, I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, and if I am I sincerely apologize, but at this point in time it appears to me that you have a particular agenda.
    The problem with social media is that it’s a no win situation. If you decide to take the high road & not engage, people assume their narrative is correct. If you do reply, it gets picked apart.

You have decided your narrative about me & anything I say will be read through that lens. It’s like being an anti-vaxxer; no matter the facts, you will see it how you see it. Calling my response a “standard internet forum rebuttal” says way more about you than it does about me. In the end, it doesn’t matter what you think about me, people that know, know.

I wish you well. Deuces.

The problem with social media is that it’s a no win situation. If you decide to take the high road & not engage, people assume their narrative is correct. If you do reply, it gets picked apart.

You have decided your narrative about me & anything I say will be read through that lens. It’s like being an anti-vaxxer; no matter the facts, you will see it how you see it. Calling my response a “standard internet forum rebuttal” says way more about you than it does about me. In the end, it doesn’t matter what you think about me, people that know, know.

I wish you well. Deuces.
    Sorry, to clarify that part was directed specifically towards your line about me not being brave enough to take an opposing stance to your face. There were parts in the rest of your response that I actually really appreciated given that big parts of these types of interactions are based on assumptions and connecting of dots that may not have been connected correctly.

As for the "no win on social media thing" I totally get that conundrum, so if you have more to say then feel free to send me a PM and tell me how wrong I am
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 06-16-2019 at 08:30 PM.

vCash

The popular segment on the Gregor Show, “Inside the Stripes”, with Bud Steen returns this Tuesday.
    Bud never shies away from giving his version of controversial calls so there should be lots to talk about this time around!

vCash

We re-signed Nick Taylor
    In Rod we trust

vCash

We re-signed Nick Taylor
    He's on the PR for now; we had the extra spot after Roy was poached by the Lions, and with the injury to Unamba, we need some depth there. I hope it's just depth, and Unamba's injury is announced to be minor, but at least Taylor's got some good CFL experience here.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    He's on the PR for now; we had the extra spot after Roy was poached by the Lions, and with the injury to Unamba, we need some depth there. I hope it's just depth, and Unamba's injury is announced to be minor, but at least Taylor's got some good CFL experience here.
    Are we back at practice today? Hoping for an update on don...
    he def felt like the leader of our D when he was out there . High energy on the field and social media!

vCash

Are we back at practice today? Hoping for an update on don...
    he def felt like the leader of our D when he was out there . High energy on the field and social media!
    Doesn't sound good.