Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    What I don't understand, is how we are in the "cap hell" that we appear to be in. Can you imagine if all our expensive free agents actually played full seasons instead of riding the six game IR.
    I know I've been assuming it because of statements made here. Of course, we really don't know.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

What I don't understand, is how we are in the "cap hell" that we appear to be in. Can you imagine if all our expensive free agents actually played full seasons instead of riding the six game IR.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if many teams were there or close, having signed a bunch of free agents before the new CBA was in. If everyone expected the cap to be at one place in February and then the CBA came in May at even a few hundred thousand lower than expected, all of a sudden many teams are in draft-pick-losing territory before the season even starts, especially with signing bonus money already gone.

I’m not keen on going over at all, but if much of the league is in the same situation, I’d be relatively willing to forgive this year - especially if this is what it took to ride out the departure of the franchise QB. (Though it’s becoming apparent that what we really have is some really good players and a franchise OC, IMO.)
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

IMO if Zylstra wants to return to the CFL we should do everything in our power to get him. The type of receiver he is would be stellar with Harris as his QB. Duke would be more of a Reilly type receiver. And I'd much rather have Zylstra than Duke.

Imagine Zylstra and Ellingson in the slot??

vCash

Guessing most of the first round of NFL cuts will sign on practice rosters, or chose to stick around close to a phone in hopes of a call mid season.
    Would be really exciting to see Betts show his stuff in the CFL. A na natural fit on our defense. Justin senior could be a good depth addition on the o line. And with zylstra, you add the best receiver in the league.

vCash

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I bet Brock wasnt counting on getting all of the players he put offers in on and when he did, it pit us in a huge crunch.

With the recent contract renegotiations, I'm guessing we are pushing some of our 2019 cap into 2020, so people better be ready for us to lose some of these vets and not be as active in the free agent market.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing myself. I bet Brock wasnt counting on getting all of the players he put offers in on and when he did, it pit us in a huge crunch.

With the recent contract renegotiations, I'm guessing we are pushing some of our 2019 cap into 2020, so people better be ready for us to lose some of these vets and not be as active in the free agent market.
    Not sure I agree totally with this. No matter how many offers he put in, it was still his choice which ones to ultimately sign & which ones to walk away from.
    Other than Harris, who else has renogiated?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I also wonder if Sean's extra duties are hurting his FG game. Just anecdotal, but it seems like he hasn't been at his usual level lately.
    Most of his misses were before O'Neill 6-gamed. Just the upright hit against Ottawa. That said, in the past it has impacted his kicking so I don't think its something you want to run with if it's looking like Hugh isn't going to be back.

vCash

When was this Harris re-negotiation? Must've been on vacation or somthing.

Or I guess it was reported on 3 down nation? I don't always check that site.

Who else on our roster re-neg'd?

vCash

I do not think there was anything official regarding Harris, but has been eluded to in different social media platforms...

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

Zylstra was picked up by Carolina and Duke Williams made Buffalo’s practice roster. However, it looks like Betts didn’t make Chicago’s practice roster so he might end up being available this season. The idea of starting two non-imports at defensive end is pretty crazy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post

If you.look at the roster transactions on the CFL page, both him and I believe Whyte were deleted and added back into our roster.
    #PizStrong

Pitfall Harry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post

There was no renegotiation of Harris' contract. That's not how contracts work. A new contract where a party gets paid more to do what he was already contractually required to do is not legally enforceable. Both parties would have to give new consideration, such as an extra year on the contract, which is just a contract extension. And the Esks would have announced that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    There was no renegotiation of Harris' contract. That's not how contracts work. A new contract where a party gets paid more to do what he was already contractually required to do is not legally enforceable. Both parties would have to give new consideration, such as an extra year on the contract, which is just a contract extension. And the Esks would have announced that.
    They could release him and resign him, which is what seems to have happened. Why else does he show up on the CFL transaction page as released and resigned.
    #PizStrong

Pitfall Harry Guest

They could release him and resign him, which is what seems to have happened. Why else does he show up on the CFL transaction page as released and resigned.
    If that happened it would constitute a mutual rescission, replaced by a new and seperate conract, not a renegotiation of an existing contract.
    Last edited by Pitfall Harry; 09-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.

vCash

If someone is released would they not have to go on waivers?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    If that happened it would constitute a mutual rescission, replaced by a new and seperate conract, not a renegotiation of an existing contract.
    seems like you are getting stuck on the wording but the end results would be the same thing, a different contract than what he was on.
    #PizStrong

Pitfall Harry Guest

seems like you are getting stuck on the wording but the end results would be the same thing, a different contract than what he was on.
    Not me. It is all the difference in the world in contract law. One is a nullity at law and therefore unenforceable; the other is a brand new contract.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Not sure I agree totally with this. No matter how many offers he put in, it was still his choice which ones to ultimately sign & which ones to walk away from.
    Other than Harris, who else has renogiated?
    Whyte took a sizable pay cut.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Whyte took a sizable pay cut.
    He can still pony up for drinks at the Waskatenau and Lamont bonspiels though.... that west coast boy can pound them back.
    #PizStrong

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Love this show, a lot of great insights to be gained from listening to the coach talk things through.

vCash

Terry Jones has a new article titled "Eskimo's kicker Sean Whyte is having a career year and no one has noticed" In the article he make this statement, "The 33-year-old kicker who has been forced to not only do his own job but also take care of punting duties for Hugh O’Neill, has been damn near perfect and hasn’t exactly been overwhelmed by interview requests."

What is funny about that statement is Jones didn't get any sort of quote from Whyte. He is going on about the lack of interviews Sean is getting, and he didn't even take the time to interview the man himself

I will include a link, only because I quoted the story...
    https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/f...c-5d5e6dff8aa1

vCash

No celebration because the team was stalling in the red zone in both games Large....is he really that daft?

- - - Updated - - -

We are EXTREMELY lucky to have Sean Whyte though....
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    No celebration because the team was stalling in the red zone in both games Large....is he really that daft?

- - - Updated - - -

We are EXTREMELY lucky to have Sean Whyte though....
    Whyte is putting up numbers, but I can also think of a few gimmies he's missed this year that might have put the Esks in a position to win games they lost.

vCash

Anyone have any guesses on this one???

vCash

Fire Truck! (speculation)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Yep, that pattern looks like the side of the front area of the truck (which probably has a term for it haha)

If that is what it is, the question is why did it take so damn long!?

vCash

Anyone have any guesses on this one???
    No more cheap hotdogs and beer. Back to gouging the customers.

Surprise halftime concert with a washed up 90's rapper. Haven't had on of those this season. Maybe Vanilla Ice? Ice T? What's MC Hammer doing these days?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Yep, that pattern looks like the side of the front area of the truck (which probably has a term for it haha)

If that is what it is, the question is why did it take so damn long!?

Possibly...

vCash

I always thought they should have the firetruck in the stadium parked in the corner sw if they couldnt drive it around, with the miniball Gatling gun in the truck bed.