Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I admire what you did to get to games, but I am pretty sure that these promotions won't do much to get you back in CW. I don't sense you're going to go through the investment of time and energy to sit in general admission seats in the endzone. That is part of my point - they're addressing only part of the issue... it's likely a step in the right direction, but it can't be the only step they take.

They need to attract fans like you, but located in Edm and the surrounding area. They can't do anything to shorten the commute/time investment from Red Deer or Grande Prairie or Lloydminster. They can't do anything about the cost of gas. For locals, they offer free transit and now an affordable way to get in the stadium, and a kid-friendly pre-game... and seemingly, a competitive team so far. We'll see if that gets people in the door, we'll see if they can do something to engage them when they get them, and we'll see if they can hook a new generation of fans.

I'm not the target. You're not the target. Most of us here are not the target. We got hooked in a time when the options were different in terms of accessing entertainment - I'm hoping that they are successful in engaging and converting a new group of fans, but if you, an already engaged fan, don't think there is value in a $50 ticket for the game experience, it does beg the question of how likely are they to convert promotional $22 admissions into fans that will pay $50 to sit in what you term "crap seats"? If the whole point is to use this as a way to expose people and give them a taste with the intent of converting them to longer-term customers, they have to figure out how to get from A to B.
    I am a bit more of the extreme case because of my commute. But even if I lived in Edmonton, it would still be close to a $300 touch to get my family of 4 into a game. At $50 a ticket which until this promotion, that's what it cost. I am down $200 just to get in the door. Depending on where I lived in the City, I am driving to an LRT station. So I am probably paying for parking. We used to park at Century Park, the last station at the south for free but we found it took WAY too long to get to the game so we were always late. So we park at a lot near Corona. So it's $12-14 to park. Assuming we ate at home, we are going to need something to drink. Even a water bottle is almost $6. The kids will want a snack. Add it all up, if I lived in Edmonton, I'd be dropping $250 without even trying that's with barely eating or drinking anything for 1 game. For an average person who's entertainment dollars are limited, that's not cheap and you can't tell me it is. You love the Esks and will pay whatever it is to pay. Great. I am speaking as a casual fan now and if it's costing me $250 min maybe more to see 1 game, that's the cost for 3 or 4 movies at least.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 07-09-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Let's be grateful we don't have the expense of Oiler season tickets.
    Wanna talk about needing to take out a loan for a family of four to enjoy a hockey game?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I am a bit more of the extreme case because of my commute. But even if I lived in Edmonton, it would still be close to a $300 touch to get my family of 4 into a game. At $50 a ticket which until this promotion, that's what it cost. I am down $200 just to get in the door. Depending on where I lived in the City, I am driving to an LRT station. So I am probably paying for parking. We used to park at Century Park, the last station at the south for free but we found it took WAY too long to get to the game so we were always late. So we park at a lot near Corona. So it's $12-14 to park. Assuming we ate at home, we are going to need something to drink. Even a water bottle is almost $6. The kids will want a snack. Add it all up, if I lived in Edmonton, I'd be dropping $250 without even trying that's with barely eating or drinking anything for 1 game. For an average person who's entertainment dollars are limited, that's not cheap and you can't tell me it is. You love the Esks and will pay whatever it is to pay. Great. I am speaking as a casual fan now and if it's costing me $250 min maybe more to see 1 game, that's the cost for 3 or 4 movies at least.
    Would this promo get you back in CW with any regularity if you lived in Edm? The $22 seats and the free kids admission cuts your game cost to under $50, but you still have all the other extra costs you mention.

I recognize, for you, it is a) entertainment value, b) overall commitment/time to get there, and c) value for money that has changed your buying decision. With no substantial change to the entertainment value (non-assigned endzone seat) would this promo have any real impact for you?

What people compare it to is always interesting to me. You've compared it to the value of movies, watching in a sports bar, and a junior hockey game. I tend to compare it to concerts. There is no right or wrong as to where we all see value, but most of the time we all use apples and oranges comparisons but entertainment is in the eye of the beholder and it illustrates the challenges the CFL faces in its markets.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteNorth; 07-09-2019 at 09:57 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Why more people don't bring their own food and drinks in is beyond me. We always have a backpack full of munchies and drinks. Just no cans or peanuts... Even brought in a bucket of KFC once! This makes the cost go down pretty quick but I agree that $50 for upper UPPER deck is crazy talk... Especially when the majority of people seat hop anyways. This is a step in the right direction - just hate it took so long for them to do anything like it.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

When/ why did the LDR free kid voucher stop getting handed out?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Would this promo get you back in CW with any regularity if you lived in Edm? The $22 seats and the free kids admission cuts your game cost to under $50, but you still have all the other extra costs you mention.

I recognize, for you, it is a) entertainment value, b) overall commitment/time to get there, and c) value for money that has changed your buying decision. With no substantial change to the entertainment value (non-assigned endzone seat) would this promo have any real impact for you?

What people compare it to is always interesting to me. You've compared it to the value of movies, watching in a sports bar, and a junior hockey game. I tend to compare it to concerts. There is no right or wrong as to where we all see value, but most of the time we all use apples and oranges comparisons but entertainment is in the eye of the beholder and it illustrates the challenges the CFL faces in its markets.
    Honestly, the promo would get me to come more often if I lived in Edmonton. I don't see my family ever buying season tickets again. Over the last few years, we just missed too many games due to other events. Any games on a long weekend were out because we always do things on the long weekend. i.e family reunions, holidays, etc. Then there are other things that just come up where we ended up missing games because we had something on and that won't change as life goes on. At $50 a ticket, even if I lived in Edmonton, it would probably be a 1 time thing a season. I cherry pick a game on a nice day and we go. But at $22 a ticket, all of a sudden, its so much cheaper so I would probably be inclined to go more often. For the cost of 1 normal priced ticket, I can go to 2 games. Much better value.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I would buy season seats again if:

a) Lower ticket prices, not just GA and youth tickets.
    b) Improvements to stadium LRT station (coming over the next 3 years).
    c) A way better in game presentation
    d) The CFL fixes its officiating issues
    e) The players learn how to play football without holding
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I would buy season seats again if:

a) Lower ticket prices, not just GA and youth tickets.
    b) Improvements to stadium LRT station (coming over the next 3 years).
    c) A way better in game presentation
    d) The CFL fixes its officiating issues
    e) The players learn how to play football without holding
    So basically never? Your top 3 could happen but I don't see how the last 2 are fixed.

vCash

The Esks have a good entertaining team this year.

People will always come up with lame ass excuses not to go.

Kudos to the Esks marketing department for these promotions!

vCash

Esks release DL Darius Jackson

vCash

I park near Corona LRT for work I'm going to check to see what the parking costs are for where I park underground see if it's cheaper than that and will let you know.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I park near Corona LRT for work I'm going to check to see what the parking costs are for where I park underground see if it's cheaper than that and will let you know.
    That would be good. We used to park in the open lot behind the Bp's but it was blocked off last season so we were parking in the lot behind Doan's. The station entrance was half a block. I think it was at least $12 for half a day. Typically, from Red Deer with the drive, parking and taking the train, it would take us about 2 hours. So usually we would be walking into the station when they are doing their player announcements and in the concourse for the anthem. When we tried Century for a few years where the parking was free, we never made kick off. The section in the University area is really long and really, really slow. So we went back to driving in.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 07-09-2019 at 11:32 AM.

vCash

So basically never? Your top 3 could happen but I don't see how the last 2 are fixed.
    Hopefully not never. But flags on every play make the product unwatchable. If the CFL doesn't fix its product there won't be a CFL a few years down the line anyway.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

That would be good. We used to park in the open lot behind the Bp's but it was blocked off last season so we were parking in the lot behind Doan's. The station entrance was half a block. I think it was at least $12 for half a day. Typically, from Red Deer with the drive, parking and taking the train, it would take us about 2 hours. So usually we would be walking into the station when they are doing their player announcements and in the concourse for the anthem. When we tried Century for a few years where the parking was free, we never made kick off. The section in the University area is really long and really, really slow. So we went back to driving in.
    Did you ever try going to the Davies lot and taking the bus express park and rides. I've heard they are relatively quick to get in and out, and I know I preferred the Burns lot express park and ride over the LRT until they shut it down this year. I think it means about an additional 5 minutes or so to get to Davies vs. Century Park, but it is free and perhaps the direct bus ride is faster.
    Last edited by bone; 07-09-2019 at 11:46 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Did you ever try going to the Davies lot and taking the bus park and rides. I've heard they are relatively quick to get in and out, and I know I preferred the Burns lot to the LRT until they shut it down this year. I think it means about an additional 5 minutes or so to get to Davies vs. Century Park, but it is free and perhaps the direct bus ride is faster.
    We never tried it. I lived in Edmonton when I was in University in the 90's and lived near Jasper Ave so I know how to get there and know my way around downtown fairly well. So it's easy for me to get in and out. So I just went with what I knew. On the way back, once you get into the train, there aren't a lot of stops from the stadium to Corona and the downtown stations are pretty close together so it's pretty quick once you are on the train. Then to get out, traffic is usually pretty light at 10;30-11 pm so we get out of Edmonton pretty quickly. In reality, when we are driving all that way, the cost of the parking for us wasn't that big of a deal when you it allows us to get to a place that we know how to get to in multiple ways and is easy to get in and out of.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 07-09-2019 at 11:50 AM.

vCash

We never tried it. I lived in Edmonton when I was in University in the 90's and lived near Jasper Ave so I know how to get there and know my way around downtown fairly well. So it's easy for me to get in and out. So I just went with what I knew.
    I will try to ask around about how long it typically takes from Davies to Commonwealth, but I'd guess it's about 20-25 minutes instead of the 35+ from Century Park, plus I believe the bus drops you off at the bottom of the stairs at the South East entrance to the building.

vCash

Yeah that parking lot behind Doan's used to be where I would park for work ( I work for Alberta Blue Cross) they moved me to a new lot because they're turning that into a green zone or whatever it's called. I'll take a peak at where I park it's underground and see what the normal rates are might as well save a couple bucks if you can and not have to worry about some drunk throwing up on your car.
    In Rod we trust

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

I agree that it is a step in the right direction. I just want to ensure that we're not over-simplifying it either. Of course this is something that would've been considered in the recent past, and it was dismissed because there are risks associated with this strategy too. I think that the first two games have shown that now is the time to act - particularly the return of Reilly game drawing what it did.

I've been in businesses where we made decisions to raise our prices, knowing that we'd lose some customers, but ultimately make more profits by doing so. I've also seen instances where we've had enough competition to drive down our margins to the point where you're almost losing money by bringing in new clients - essentially subsidizing them in the hopes that they will recognize the superior service/product, but knowing that, "when you win on price, you'll usually lose on price eventually". If all we are drawing is Groupon fans - those that will come at half-price but never pay retail, then it carries risks that we're alienating those that are paying full price with little upside to the new fans we're bringing in.

To me, this is a move towards an investment in the fanbase, likely at the expense of short-term profits. Just like running a print advertising campaign, you can't place one ad and then wait, you need repetition to create habits. The Esks will likely have to keep up these promotions for a few years, hoping that people get in the habit of bringing their kids on the youth tickets or finding value in endzone GA seats on the cheap, and getting used to the other aspects that people view as sacrifices to get there (transit, traffic, parking, commute, food prices, beer prices, game day experience, etc) so that as the kids age out, traditions have been established that will continue to draw them back even when they're paying for seats. I would contend, particularly with the kid's club post-game opportunities on the field, that there are few opportunities to deliver this level of memory making experience for a young sports fan than $88 for a family of four and getting onto the field to be around players afterward. I would also contend that the highest price ticket in the stadium (outside of suites) remaining under $100 (ticketmaster) including fees is a tremendous value when compared to concerts or other professional sports (and other CFL cities in some cases).

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, will likely be a bust if they don't promote the heck out of it. Speaking in generalizations, the fans drawn to these promotions are more likely to be the ones you have to take the promotion to, rather than relying on them to find you.

I get where you're coming from - I've caught myself refusing to pay $6 for a used paperback at the Wee Book Inn because it didn't feel like a good deal... this for a book that I wanted to read. The money didn't matter to me one way or the other, it just didn't seem to be value. That is why this is only part of the approach. If they're just selling discount football, they're missing the point. If this dilutes the brand and feeds into the NFL-only trolls, that it's a lesser brand of football and poor entertainment (a view that I hear often enough from those that have been devoted fans at some point) then it could cause more erosion longer-term. This might get some more in the doors, but if you don't have some sizzle with their steak, they'll feel like they're getting served eye of round with a day old baked potato.
    The Rhodent era will be known for many negative things. His direction to continually raise prices on everything while continually eroding his BIS ratio (bums in seats) thinking he could simply show ticket increases by increasing freebie tickets to corporate sponsors, was a slow motion car crash waiting to happen, and the sound we are all hearing is screeching and breaking glass. In speaking to some who saw the books up close, they called it a house of cards.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I will try to ask around about how long it typically takes from Davies to Commonwealth, but I'd guess it's about 20-25 minutes instead of the 35+ from Century Park, plus I believe the bus drops you off at the bottom of the stairs at the South East entrance to the building.
    The question I would have is how does it work? Is there continuous buses like the LRT? If we miss a train, there is another maybe 5 mins later. If there is the one bus, you have to factor in how long you are waiting for it to leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that parking lot behind Doan's used to be where I would park for work ( I work for Alberta Blue Cross) they moved me to a new lot because they're turning that into a green zone or whatever it's called. I'll take a peak at where I park it's underground and see what the normal rates are might as well save a couple bucks if you can and not have to worry about some drunk throwing up on your car.
    Awesome, thanks.

vCash

The question I would have is how does it work? Is there continuous buses like the LRT? If we miss a train, there is another maybe 5 mins later. If there is the one bus, you have to factor in how long you are waiting for it to leave.
    As soon as the bus is reasonably full it leaves and there’s another one lined up ready to be filled. Typically only have to wait 2-3 minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    As soon as the bus is reasonably full it leaves and there’s another one lined up ready to be filled. Typically only have to wait 2-3 minutes.
    Good to know. Thanks. So as long as you hit it at the right time and it fills up fast, it's quick. If it takes a while to fill up to a point it's worth going, you might sit for a bit.

vCash

Good to know. Thanks. So as long as you hit it at the right time and it fills up fast, it's quick. If it takes a while to fill up to a point it's worth going, you might sit for a bit.
    I know at Davies and Mill Woods Town Centre there are always a line of busses and people when it’s 45-60 minutes before kickoff so they’re moving really consistently.

vCash

I took the park and rides from kingsway for a few years and never waited more than 5 minutes for the bus to go.
    #PizStrong

vCash

47377260382_7c678605aa.jpg

and barring that there's always this option
    In Rod we trust

vCash

We never tried it. I lived in Edmonton when I was in University in the 90's and lived near Jasper Ave so I know how to get there and know my way around downtown fairly well. So it's easy for me to get in and out. So I just went with what I knew. On the way back, once you get into the train, there aren't a lot of stops from the stadium to Corona and the downtown stations are pretty close together so it's pretty quick once you are on the train. Then to get out, traffic is usually pretty light at 10;30-11 pm so we get out of Edmonton pretty quickly. In reality, when we are driving all that way, the cost of the parking for us wasn't that big of a deal when you it allows us to get to a place that we know how to get to in multiple ways and is easy to get in and out of.

Have you ever tried parking in the residential areas around McKernan station? I usually end up parking along 76 ave or a block further into the residential on either side of 114 st - there are no parking restrictions after 6pm on weekdays or any time on weekends. It's free and it would only be an extra 5-6 minutes on the train compared to Corona; plus you wouldn't have to drive across the river.

You can do the same thing on the west side of Southgate in Malmo, too...longer train ride but it would be pretty quick to get back on Calgary Trail for you.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

You could also take the Henday to the Yellowhead, north on 50th street then west on 129 Avenue to Belvedere Station. That has a total of three traffic signals (one of them being a right hand turn onto 50th street).

You could also get Save-on Tickets for under $30 each. The family of four can go for under $120 you can bring your own cold most drink beverages in the plastic bottles and snacks.
    Last edited by Esks1975; 07-09-2019 at 01:42 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Let's be grateful we don't have the expense of Oiler season tickets.
    Wanna talk about needing to take out a loan for a family of four to enjoy a hockey game?
    110%

9 dollar hotdogs? lol.....
    18 dollar mini ckn tenders?lol...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    110%

I was fortunate enough to have my brother take me to a game against the Lightning when I was home for Christmas this past year. I had been given a tour of the new rink in the past, but had never attended an event before. Considering how much tickets are for a regular season NHL game, I'd call the overall arena experience underwhelming. I expected a lot more.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    110%

next game is 2.25 hot dogs and 5.25 miller lite which excites me cause that's actually my fave beer. (waits for our resident beer snobs to hit me with a hammer....)
    Also halftime will have Jade Eagleson performing!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

next game is 2.25 hot dogs and 5.25 miller lite which excites me cause that's actually my fave beer. (waits for our resident beer snobs to hit me with a hammer....)
    Also halftime will have Jade Eagleson performing!
    im impressed they didnt just do the "cheaper" Canadian and Coors as the deal.

Miller aint bad