Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Maas is here through the end of the season (the coaches cap sees to that, at the very least), and probably at least another year.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Maas is here through the end of the season (the coaches cap sees to that, at the very least), and probably at least another year.
    Could be, but I’m sensing Sunderland is not happy and that message wasn’t just for the players. The point is you’ve got an experienced offensive coordinator and head coach, who has already stepped in mid-season once, available. He is already employed and counting under the football ops cap. Having Bellefeuille gives Sunderland options if he believes the voice is stale.
    Last edited by BeaverSports; 09-08-2019 at 06:27 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

TSN is reporting that the Esks have signed 3rd overall pick Betts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Could be, but I’m sensing Sunderland is not happy and that message wasn’t just for the players. The point is you’ve got an experienced offensive coordinator and head coach, who has already stepped in mid-season once, available. He is already employed and counting under the football ops cap. Having Bellefeuille gives Sunderland options if he believes the voice is stale.
    Man, if Sunderland fires Maas right now and replaces him with Marcel Bellefeuille I would instantly lose all the faith I had in his potential to become a good GM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Gawd I hope not.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Man, if Sunderland fires Maas right now and replaces him with Marcel Bellefeuille I would instantly lose all the faith I had in his potential to become a good GM.
    Marcel is a god awful coach and Oc not only at cfl level but cis

I have no idea why people think this is a good move.

I’m with you on this buddy

Someone shout some bloody names out before guys start calling for maas to go

I back maas.. nothing is changing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Gawd I hope not.

Who u want us to bring in bro?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    TSN is reporting that the Esks have signed 3rd overall pick Betts
    The fallout from this could get interesting. We've been carrying Bazzie all year long even though he did not win a starting position. Someone mentioned that he re- negotiated his contract and is good in the room but this has to hurting us cap wise. Will be expensive to have two starting national DE's , almost as pricey as national Oilnemen. Would possibly be a way to get an import in at safety with Boateng and Betts at DE.

Does this make Usher expendable. Good motor but takes stupid penalties. Likely on a low contract so could be just kept for depth and lost if we tried to put Usher on the PR.

Sunderland has some decisions to make this week.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Marcel is a god awful coach and Oc not only at cfl level but cis

I have no idea why people think this is a good move.

Iím with you on this buddy

Someone shout some bloody names out before guys start calling for maas to go

I back maas.. nothing is changing

- - - Updated - - -

Iím not saying itís a good idea, but rather itís a doable interim move if they lost faith in Maas. Itís one way they could fill one of the roles Maas fills without going outside the cap.

Iím still not sold on Maas, unfortunately, and heís been given lots of rope.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    I’m not saying it’s a good idea, but rather it’s a doable interim move if they lost faith in Maas. It’s one way they could fill one of the roles Maas fills without going outside the cap.

I’m still not sold on Maas, unfortunately, and he’s been given lots of rope.

I’m sure brock will assess this off season.. I think we should stay the course..

But outside of Thorpe and Lapo I can’t see any real candidates.. I’m sure Campbell will return as that ship in otta is starting to sink but ricks reg season record out east is pretty pedestrian.. not sure how that would be an upgrade over maas at this point..

A 9-9 finish in the east prob gets you first or 2nd EVERY YEAR...

vCash

Great question. Maybe somebody that does something other than run it up the middle on first down every series? Maybe someone who isn't in a constant state of tantrum? Maybe somebody who gets a team to perform to their ability, not way below it?

Doesn't matter though. He's not going anywhere. But I'm done watching for this year because I know what will happen.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

I’m sure brock will assess this off season.. I think we should stay the course..

But outside of Thorpe and Lapo I can’t see any real candidates.. I’m sure Campbell will return as that ship in otta is starting to sink but ricks reg season record out east is pretty pedestrian.. not sure how that would be an upgrade over maas at this point..

I don’t want any part of Thorpe or Lapo to be honest.

vCash

Great question. Maybe somebody that does something other than run it up the middle on first down every series? Maybe someone who isn't in a constant state of tantrum? Maybe somebody who gets a team to perform to their ability, not way below it?

Doesn't matter though. He's not going anywhere. But I'm done watching for this year because I know what will happen.
    It is a tough one.. there just ain’t many candidates out there and if you do what bc did.. they a ted clay brooks u would assume for his defensive nouse... but he hired a Dc and isn’t running his defence.. they kinda takes away the meat of the hire
    U would have to hire someone like Thorpe for his d prowess, then U gotta hire a Oc.. and who’s out there? Buck pierce? Dinwiddie? Those are the only 2 guys I see getting groomed at this point..

It’s a very slippy slope down ...

For me I think maas is a young hc who is still learning.. I love him as a Oc and I really like lolley .. let’s imho keep this core together for 2-3 years and see what they do..

- - - Updated - - -

I’d take Thorpe... I think his d is decent

But I wouldn’t sack maas to get him...

vCash

not sure why everyone is clamoring for Campbell, he's had 2 winning seasons, out of 5, as a head coach. Those kind of numbers won't work in the west.
    #PizStrong

vCash

After two last place finishes, Bomber fans were calling for the head of Mike O'Shea half way through his 3rd season. It took him five years to win his first playoff game.

I still believe that stability is the key to this franchise turning the corner, and right now, Jason Maas is my coach. I believe he is the right man for it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    After two last place finishes, Bomber fans were calling for the head of Mike O'Shea half way through his 3rd season. It took him five years to win his first playoff game.

I still believe that stability is the key to this franchise turning the corner, and right now, Jason Maas is my coach. I believe he is the right man for it.
    Couldn't say it better, Hugo. I share the same feeling. Let's see how this plays out.
    #PizStrong

vCash

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    not sure why everyone is clamoring for Campbell, he's had 2 winning seasons, out of 5, as a head coach. Those kind of numbers won't work in the west.
    Correct.. Campbell isn’t on my radar and shouldnt be on the eskimos

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Bang on! Rep this man folx!

vCash

Constant state of tantrum? Okay then.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I also love JM and would give him the rest of the year to right the ship but would reassess during the off season as unfortunately this cant be allowed to go on forever. He's in his 3rd year now and though he has had some success he's also had some disappointments. For me he gets one more season after this one at the most and if its more of the same then it might be time for a change and that's tough for me to say as I know he bleeds green and gold but at the end of the day it's a results orientated business. Curious as to why you wouldn't consider Lapo for a HCing position. He has really impressed me with what he has been able to accomplish on offence in terms of fitting the game plan to his ever changing personnel and still having success. If there are any HC spots open at the of the year I think he's the first one in line to get snapped up.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I also love JM and would give him the rest of the year to right the ship but would reassess during the off season as unfortunately this cant be allowed to go on forever. He's in his 3rd year now and though he has had some success he's also had some disappointments. For me he gets one more season after this one at the most and if its more of the same then it might be time for a change and that's tough for me to say as I know he bleeds green and gold but at the end of the day it's a results orientated business. Curious as to why you wouldn't consider Lapo for a HCing position. He has really impressed me with what he has been able to accomplish on offence in terms of fitting the game plan to his ever changing personnel and still having success. If there are any HC spots open at the of the year I think he's the first one in line to get snapped up.
    I might walk my comment on Lapo back a bit as I do agree that he’s probably the only real decent HC candidate waiting in the wings right now and I’m sure he’d be better in his second go around for the experience he had as a HC prior, but I always thought he was a bit conservative as a HC and I’m not convinced his ceiling of potential would be any higher than Jason’s is so if I’m gonna take a gamble on one of those two then I’m taking Maas all day long rather than starting from square one for 6th time in the last 10 years in hopes that he is able to become more than he was in Winnipeg over the next 3 or 4 seasons. Also I think he’s in a real good spot as the OC in Winnipeg and I believe he lives there with his family year round (or is it Sask?). Either way, I don’t see him as being a good fit for this club.

As for Thorpe, again, good coordinator, but I’m thinking there’s a reason he’s been passed over for HCing jobs so many times, and I have no idea what a Thorpe lead coaching staff would look like, I can imagine it looking a lot like a Claybrooks staff with a bunch of greenhorns and castoffs. Which is another thing that I don’t think the detractors are taking into account, if you kick Maas to the curb, you can say goodbye to Lolly, Miles, Maxie, Gass, Tucker, Gibby, Prinsen, etc. as well, and then any hopes of sustained success get pushed off even further into the future.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 09-09-2019 at 12:28 PM.

vCash

The reality in speaking about Maas right now is that there is still too much track to say what the end of the year brings. 0-5 against Calgary/Winnipeg looks awful, but there are still 6 games on the schedule, and who knows what that brings.

If they ran the table and finished 12-6, I don't think anyone would suggest it would be right to fire him.

If they go 2-4 or worse, I think he's likely gone unless they can get to the Grey Cup game through the East.

If they win 3 or 4 games, then it gets tough to evaluate, and quite possibly would come down to how they do in the playoff.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    The reality in speaking about Maas right now is that there is still too much track to say what the end of the year brings. 0-5 against Calgary/Winnipeg looks awful, but there are still 6 games on the schedule, and who knows what that brings.

If they ran the table and finished 12-6, I don't think anyone would suggest it would be right to fire him.

If they go 2-4 or worse, I think he's likely gone unless they can get to the Grey Cup game through the East.

If they win 3 or 4 games, then it gets tough to evaluate, and quite possibly would come down to how they do in the playoff.
    Ham x2
    Ott
    BC
    Sask x 2

Then they either have to go through Hamilton or Calgary and Winnipeg to get to the Grey Cup. Even if they go 4-2 the rest of the way I won't have confidence that they can win the Grey Cup or even get there.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I might walk my comment on Lapo back a bit as I do agree that heís probably the only real decent HC candidate waiting in the wings right now and Iím sure heíd be better in his second go around for the experience he had as a HC prior, but I always thought he was a bit conservative as a HC and Iím not convinced his ceiling of potential would be any higher than Jasonís is so if Iím gonna take a gamble on one of those two then Iím taking Maas all day long rather than starting from square one for 6th time in the last 10 years in hopes that he is able to become more than he was in Winnipeg over the next 3 or 4 seasons. Also I think heís in a real good spot as the OC in Winnipeg and I believe he lives there with his family year round (or is it Sask?). Either way, I donít see him as being a good fit for this club.

As for Thorpe, again, good coordinator, but Iím thinking thereís a reason heís been passed over for HCing jobs so many times, and I have no idea what a Thorpe lead coaching staff would look like, I can imagine it looking a lot like a Claybrooks staff with a bunch of greenhorns and castoffs. Which is another thing that I donít think the detractors are taking into account, if you kick Maas to the curb, you can say goodbye to Lolly, Miles, Maxie, Gass, Tucker, Gibby, Prinsen, etc. as well, and then any hopes of sustained success get pushed off even further into the future.
    I am too for the rest of this season and maybe the next but even you must have some date in mind where enough is enough. If we get more of the same next year should Jason still be around the year after that or do you go back to square one at that point? If he gets one more season after this then we might be on the same page and saying the same thing in a different way otherwise I guess we'll agree to disagree.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Ham x2
    Ott
    BC
    Sask x 2

Then they either have to go through Hamilton or Calgary and Winnipeg to get to the Grey Cup. Even if they go 4-2 the rest of the way I won't have confidence that they can win the Grey Cup or even get there.
    I don't think I ever suggested that I have any confidence in them winning the Grey Cup. All I was saying is that there is still at least 6 games to go before we can really evaluate Maas' season despite the horrendous 0-5 showing against Winnipeg/Calgary.

Personally I'm expecting 2-4 or 3-3, and a very difficult road to even a final let alone Grey Cup, and if this is the case Maas may very well be done at season's end. I'd even say it's likely.

But if they somehow figure it out and pull off winning season (i.e. greater than 9-9) and a reasonable showing in the playoffs, I'm not sure I'd move on from him just yet. It would depend on how they looked in winning those games, and he'd be given a much shorter leash next year.

And if by some miracle they did the unlikely and went 5-1 or ran the table, there's no way he'd be fired.

vCash

I think we go 2-4 the rest of the way. Nothing suggests to me this team can beat a team above .500 right now. Nothing.

vCash

Are we even discussing this if we hadn't lost so many top notch players right off the bat ?

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I am too for the rest of this season and maybe the next but even you must have some date in mind where enough is enough. If we get more of the same next year should Jason still be around the year after that or do you go back to square one at that point? If he gets one more season after this then we might be on the same page and saying the same thing in a different way otherwise I guess we'll agree to disagree.
    For sure, I’m obviously a Maas fan but at some point the Esks have to turn the corner and become an upper echelon team, but I would argue that the circumstances surrounding the team have not been conducive to that over the last four seasons. Right now, we have a fairly young team and a retooled coaching staff so in my mind, if we can have a good offseason by retaining Lolly and keeping the core players in tact, then a home playoff game should be attainable next year. If there’s no major self-inflicted wounds off the field like this club has been prone to over the last few seasons and he still can’t pull that off in year five, then I’d be extremely disappointed, but I fully believe he is capable.

As for this season, I’ve watched enough CFL to know that a rebound down the stretch from a team that struggled through the mid or early parts of the season is not at all uncommon, so I wouldn’t be counting this team out until we see how they respond against Hamilton after the bye.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 09-09-2019 at 02:57 PM.

vCash