Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1421

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Could be a patriots fan taking about signing ab?

Written word in this format is always hard to get a read.

- - - Updated - - -

Our record and current losing streak has zero to do with brock..

- - - Updated - - -

do u happen to know who’s taken cuts?

- - - Updated - - -

If it’s your number 1 pick and he’s available u gotta sign him right.. doesn’t matter when..

We still see posts on here about pasztor and Charles.. so it’s a no brained for me.. sign him
    I couldn't disagree more with your comment about Brock. The current situation and record the Esks have is a combination of the coaches making mistakes and the players not performing. The GM is the guy who brings in the players and is responsible for bringing in the right ones. To say Brock is completely innocent is IMO 100% wrong. Everyone has blame.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I don't see where Diesel or I are questioning that it was a good idea to sign him.
    I guess I just missed your post saying "Great signing!". My bad.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    The guy hasn't even practiced yet. They picked him high so he's supposed to be good and I hope he is but do you have any evidence that says he's a lock to be good? Please share if you do.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

The guy hasn't even practiced yet. They picked him high so he's supposed to be good and I hope he is but do you have any evidence that says he's a lock to be good? Please share if you do.
    Sounds like you are questioning the signing ....

vCash

Sounds like you are questioning the signing ....
    Maybe we should have just "passed" when our first round pick came up at the draft? Would have saved a lot of grief come September
    Damn that Brock!

vCash

I couldn't disagree more with your comment about Brock. The current situation and record the Esks have is a combination of the coaches making mistakes and the players not performing. The GM is the guy who brings in the players and is responsible for bringing in the right ones. To say Brock is completely innocent is IMO 100% wrong. Everyone has blame.
    My qb threw 4 picks ( 2 pick 6ís ) in our play off loss in August..
    am I blaming my gm for that ?

Or does the blame fall on my qbs and ultimately mine??

Gms can get blamed for a lot of crap but how a teams is playing and being coached.. not in my honest opinion

In season itís about being reactive.. we lost our kr we traded for one. If we yank it and lose our next 6 then brock has a job to do.. not because we canít score in the rz etc etc

If you wanna blame the gm then thatís fine dude..do u

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    My qb threw 4 picks ( 2 pick 6’s ) in our play off loss in August..
    am I blaming my gm for that ?

Or does the blame fall on my qbs and ultimately mine??

Gms can get blamed for a lot of crap but how a teams is playing and being coached.. not in my honest opinion

In season it’s about being reactive.. we lost our kr we traded for one. If we yank it and lose our next 6 then brock has a job to do.. not because we can’t score in the rz etc etc

If you wanna blame the gm then that’s fine dude..do u
    I literally just posted that that IMO everyone on the Esks is to blame. Players have to play, coaches have to coach, GM has to bring in the right guys. But believe what you want buddy.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 09-10-2019 at 12:10 PM.

vCash

Everyone seems a little too worked up right now on either side of this.

Personally, I think it's great that he is signed to get some national depth on the d-line particularly since we have an all-star national at the position, so you need guys to back him up.

But I do think the timing of making a big announcement with press conference is odd as Edmonton doesn't often do that for routine signings and odds are he's nothing but a back-up/special teamer to finish this year.

It smells a little of trying to turn some positive press out of an negative public view that is out there right now. Either that or an indicator that the new president wants to use every opportunity to get us into the press, which is good.

I understand Mondo's comments. He's been here for a long time and if vets are getting frustrated at taking mid-season paycuts due to salary cap and he's not seen this type of press in the past, it likely stings a bit. I do think though he should have kept it private, but sometimes leaking a small amount of frustration publicly when you are a vet like him can help push the decision makers to think more.

All in all, good move, though also a routine move, but the management team needs to take note that some work needs to be done to keep the veterans leading this team on the same page.

vCash

I literally just posted that that IMO everyone on the Esks is to blame. But believe what you want buddy.
    No ur saying brocks portion of fault is for the team he’s assembled in Feb..

Don’t see to many people unhappy with our roster

Could be worse, we could be otta or bc

vCash

It still blows me away how sensitive some of you are when it comes to Sunderland. God forbid anyone saying anything that isn't slapping him on the back. The Esks are 6-6, lost 3 games in a row, the last 2 they got their ass kicked and are 2-4 in their last 6 games and we are supposed to be happy about that and confident in this team?
    Kind of sounds the same as some people were when anyone was the least bit critical about Hervey or any of his shortcomings as a manager.

I do really like Sunderland, but I'll be right there criticizing with others if he and the coaching staff don't find a way to improve the on-field product and if playing games with the salary cap is affecting cohesion. To be fair, though, it sounds like a lot of CFL teams are juggling somewhat due to the new CBA.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    I do really like Sunderland, but I'll be right there criticizing with others if he and the coaching staff don't find a way to improve the on-field product and if playing games with the salary cap is affecting cohesion. To be fair, though, it sounds like a lot of CFL teams are juggling somewhat due to the new CBA.
    I think you touch on a very important point. To sign all your free agents before the CBA is resolved seems like a crazy way to run a league, but we did it. I would not be surprised if multiple clubs are over on SMS this season.

vCash

Great points from both of you!

vCash

^If he wants to be here, you sign him, end of discussion.

If Mondo has an issue maybe he should have gone to talk to BS instead of taking to Twitter first. Maybe he did but either way, keep things in house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Everyone seems a little too worked up right now on either side of this.

Personally, I think it's great that he is signed to get some national depth on the d-line particularly since we have an all-star national at the position, so you need guys to back him up.

But I do think the timing of making a big announcement with press conference is odd as Edmonton doesn't often do that for routine signings and odds are he's nothing but a back-up/special teamer to finish this year.

It smells a little of trying to turn some positive press out of an negative public view that is out there right now. Either that or an indicator that the new president wants to use every opportunity to get us into the press, which is good.

I understand Mondo's comments. He's been here for a long time and if vets are getting frustrated at taking mid-season paycuts due to salary cap and he's not seen this type of press in the past, it likely stings a bit. I do think though he should have kept it private, but sometimes leaking a small amount of frustration publicly when you are a vet like him can help push the decision makers to think more.

All in all, good move, though also a routine move, but the management team needs to take note that some work needs to be done to keep the veterans leading this team on the same page.
    He's a first round pick. There SHOULD be a press conference for him when he signs, doesn't matter what time of year he chooses to come here.

vCash

I like the job Brock has done overall. If we didnt go thru all the injuries I feel our team would be better.

The part I dont get is is how much people bitch about all the exOttawa players he goes after yet Hervey got a free pass for all his ex-Eskimo players he went out and got.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    ^If he wants to be here, you sign him, end of discussion.

If Mondo has an issue maybe he should have gone to talk to BS instead of taking to Twitter first. Maybe he did but either way, keep things in house.

- - - Updated - - -

He's a first round pick. There SHOULD be a press conference for him when he signs, doesn't matter what time of year he chooses to come here.
    I 100% agree with you on both counts here, but I don't recall there being much press for past first round signings. Was there a big press conference for Behar, Smith, Groulx, Bailey, etc?

My comment is more to the fact that it hasn't been portrayed this way in the past so this would be different to someone like Sewell, and if guys are a little sour right now the timing could lead to a small outburst like we saw. Doesn't absolve him of going about it incorrectly, but I kind of understand his sentiment.

vCash

I literally just posted that that IMO everyone on the Esks is to blame. Players have to play, coaches have to coach, GM has to bring in the right guys. But believe what you want buddy.
    you are partially right as when you lose in a team sport, everyone needs to shoulder the blame but at least we aren't in the same position as Hervey and the Lions, they look hopeless.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I don't know what the reason Mondo said what he did. But he's been one hell of an Eskimo. Pretty darn loyal to this organization. I believe he makes Edmonton is fulltime home in the offseason. Maybe I am wrong but he doesn't strike me as the type that would fire out a comment unless there was reasons we don't know about it behind it. But people can believe what they want.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    you are partially right as when you lose in a team sport, everyone needs to shoulder the blame but at least we aren't in the same position as Hervey and the Lions, they look hopeless.
    There is some comfort there. I hope at the end of the season we have more to celebrate than "at least we were better than Hervey's Lions". I still think we can take it to another level.

vCash

Somebody forgot that you build a football team from the lines out, I guess.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

There are some people who see that Brock can do no good while Hervey is the greatest. SO whenever theres comments about Brock from those people here, twitter, fb I read it with a huge grain of salt. I use to be in the " I wish we still had Hervey" group. Now I'd much rather have Brock.

As for the contract restructuring. People act like this doesn't happen for other teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think its just frustration boiling over. Dline isn't a area we really need fixin but Mondo should realize with a new CDN there it will allow an import somewheres else potentially making the team stronger.

But the idea Jason's lost the room is interesting....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    There are some people who see that Brock can do no good while Hervey is the greatest. SO whenever theres comments about Brock from those people here, twitter, fb I read it with a huge grain of salt. I use to be in the " I wish we still had Hervey" group. Now I'd much rather have Brock.

As for the contract restructuring. People act like this doesn't happen for other teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think its just frustration boiling over. Dline isn't a area we really need fixin but Mondo should realize with a new CDN there it will allow an import somewheres else potentially making the team stronger.

This x2
    #PizStrong

vCash

This x2
    Well fortunately (or unfortunately depending which way you look at it), I think that is starting to tame down a bit with the circus in BC this year. I do think it's closer to being real criticisms with a little bit less bias.

Lots of us in the middle always said this year was a real tell one way or the other for what he can do as the Rhodes circus was gone and basically all of the players, coaches and scouts that came here under Ed have moved on, so this is Brock's team and it isn't as rosy as I would have liked. It isn't crap either, but I'd have hoped for something better than we've seen the last two weeks which are often viewed as to the time when the season "really starts", and then now we're seeing preliminary signs of locker room divide again similar to last year.

These next 6 games will be really telling in my opinion.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Well fortunately (or unfortunately depending which way you look at it), I think that is starting to tame down a bit with the circus in BC this year. I do think it's closer to being real criticisms with a little bit less bias.

Lots of us in the middle always said this year was a real tell one way or the other for what he can do as the Rhodes circus was gone and basically all of the players, coaches and scouts that came here under Ed have moved on, so this is Brock's team and it isn't as rosy as I would have liked. It isn't crap either, but I'd have hoped for something better than we've seen the last two weeks which are often viewed as to the time when the season "really starts", and then now we're seeing preliminary signs of locker room divide again similar to last year.

These next 6 games will be really telling in my opinion.
    Good post. I agree. If it was bad luck or all on injuries, then I can accept that but the Esks have not looked good 3 games in a row and coincidentally, they were all against good teams with good defenses. This is a concerning trend. They are going to be going up against Hamilton who has a good defense as well as the Riders for 4 out of their last 6 games. I hope I am wrong but I could easily see a 9-9 record at the end of the year.

vCash

Good post. I agree. If it was bad luck or all on injuries, then I can accept that but the Esks have not looked good 3 games in a row and coincidentally, they were all against good teams with good defenses. This is a concerning trend. They are going to be going up against Hamilton who has a good defense as well as the Riders for 4 out of their last 6 games. I hope I am wrong but I could easily see a 9-9 record at the end of the year.
    you may well be right but 9-9 in a rebuild year isn't anything to scoff at. That being said I still think we end up 10-8 but I could be wrong.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Which is exactly what Brock has done? The fact the OL survived as long as it did with all the injuries was a miracle.

The DL has looked star studded most of the year.

edit:

I derped, thought this was on Brock, not Hervey.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Which is exactly what Brock has done? The fact the OL survived as long as it did with all the injuries was a miracle.

The DL has looked star studded most of the year.

edit:

I derped, thought this was on Brock, not Hervey.
    Rep to you. Yeah. That post was aimed at Ed.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    A friend of mine who is a former Eskimo team-mate of Jason's told me that the guys love playing for him, and that was just a few days ago. He gave me no indication that Maas was losing the room.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    its funny how that played out huh? so ironic. like boldy opposite.

no way it was justified how he got canned. hated it at the time...even admit to reading too much hervey propoganda on here and actually almost going into the hate brock side...but dont think i did... i knew this guy is himself and he had potential. Also knew hervey was not the be all end all... i think i also wasnt willing to fully admit as i looked back on...there was a time with an expiring Pat Watkins and co. on the corner....and guys like marcell young who he just stuck thru thick and thin...good or not.... wasnt able to uncover some defensive side young gems like some folk had said he could do at the flick of a switch.

truth is, nobody is perfect.

also why team chemistry is everything. BC right now is not as bad as Hervey is.
    EDM 2015 GC run is also perhaps not his best.
    Truth probably lies somewhere in between in a competitive as hell league.

Im loving every time BC loses though. like LOVING it

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    A friend of mine who is a former Eskimo team-mate of Jason's told me that the guys love playing for him, and that was just a few days ago. He gave me no indication that Maas was losing the room.
    If I remember correctly that same story about Jason losing the room came out last year too.