Thread: 2019 Season Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Games 2019 Season Thread

Swing away
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

When are they going to announce a new President?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    The BOD just went through some changes, so they can likely start moving the process along soon, one would think.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Spoke to a well connected individual after the game and there has been little chatter at all about the new person. A name was expected to surface at the AGM but that did not happen. What was more interesting is the quiet admission by the interim person doing the Prez job now that in hindsight, airlifting the Rhodent into that job was a "big mistake"

Duh...
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Spoke to a well connected individual after the game and there has been little chatter at all about the new person. A name was expected to surface at the AGM but that did not happen. What was more interesting is the quiet admission by the interim person doing the Prez job now that in hindsight, airlifting the Rhodent into that job was a "big mistake"

Duh...
    It's shocking it took them as long as it did to figure that out. Many of us fans figured it out almost immediately.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Duh...
    Here's another shock...water is wet
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Here's another shock...water is wet
    WHAAAAAAAATTTTTT???????? Since when???
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Duh...
    Meaning Fleming is no longer interested in the job so they don't know what to do now?

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Rhodes had planted the seeds of discontent since his surprise firing of Hervey. It's soured a lot of us.
    I can only hope that having to endure watching Calgary win the Grey Cup on our home turf was atonement enough to the football gods. Watching them win on our field; in our locker room; parading their horse on our field. There was no way for Rhodes to salvage his botched decision after that; he had to go.

So far this off season that disillusionment has me pessimistic with our 2019 season prospects.
    Pessimistically:
    Harris < Reilly
    Daniels, Ellingson, Collins < Walker, Williams, Mitchell
    Dean < Sherritt
    Orange < Grymes
    However, hope springs eternal. In the excitement of training camp I'm coming around and willing to believe we have as good a shot as anyone in the West - which I don't think anyone can accurately predict at this point.
    Optimistically:
    Lolley D > Bene D
    Gass ST > McDiamird ST
    Unamba > Edwards
    Additionally they have clearly custom built a roster around Harris' strengths, and with CJ Gable still in fold I don't expect a drop off in our offensive production.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Rhodes had planted the seeds of discontent since his surprise firing of Hervey. It's soured a lot of us.
    I can only hope that having to endure watching Calgary win the Grey Cup on our home turf was atonement enough to the football gods. Watching them win on our field; in our locker room; parading their horse on our field. There was no way for Rhodes to salvage his botched decision after that; he had to go.

So far this off season that disillusionment has me pessimistic with our 2019 season prospects.
    Pessimistically:
    Harris < Reilly
    Dean < Sherritt
    Orange < Grymes
    However, hope springs eternal. In the excitement of training camp I'm coming around and willing to believe we have as good a shot as anyone in the West - which I don't think anyone can accurately predict at this point.
    Optimistically:
    Lolley D > Bene D
    Gass ST > McDiamird ST
    Unamba > Edwards
    Additionally they have clearly custom built a roster around Harris' strengths, and with CJ Gable still in fold I don't expect a drop off in our offensive production.
    Love me some JC Sherritt but at this stage in his career Dean is an upgrade over JC. I would also suggest our linebacking as a whole is significantly upgraded from last year but the biggest upgrade, in my eyes, is a a scheme change that Lolley brings.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Love me some JC Sherritt but at this stage in his career Dean is an upgrade over JC. I would also suggest our linebacking as a whole is significantly upgraded from last year but the biggest upgrade, in my eyes, is a a scheme change that Lolley brings.
    LB is the only area where one could argue we have improved our talent overall. Every other area we have been erroded

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Meaning Fleming is no longer interested in the job so they don't know what to do now?
    I wouldn't say that. But there hasn't been any names bubble to the surface as a leading candidate as of yet. When you have the BOD as a semi incestuous spinoff of the Edm Chamber of Commerce, usually leaks in that circle jerk are inevitable
    - Dan Kepley

vCash
    Blog Entries

LB is the only area where one could argue we have improved our talent overall. Every other area we have been erroded
    I wouldn't have said that the oline had erroded before the SirV injury which was beyond Brock's control.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Another HUGE upgrade, at least in my eyes, is Lolley. This change will make our backfield considerably better. Just for curiosity sake I compared our 2018 pre season to 2019

(2019 stats in brackets)
    • 786 total yards (511 in 2019)
    • 38 completions on 75 attempts or 50.7% (29 completions on 62 attempts or 46.8%)
    • 507 passing yards or 6.76 yards per attempt (331 passing yards or 5.34 per attempt)
    • 218 YAC yards (102 in 2019)
    • 3 INTs (2 in 2019)
    • 2 TD's (1 in 2019)

Last year Streveler went 10 for 10 for 140 yards, this year he went 2 for 6 for 15 yards.

Looking at the same numbers for our offence:

• 540 total yards (492 in 2019)
    • 33 completions on 57 attempts or 57.9% (44 completions on 78 attempts or 56.4%)
    • 353 passing yards or 6.19 yards per attempt (370 passing yards or 4.74 yards per attempt)
    • 125 YAC yards (91 in 2019)
    • 2 INTs (0 in 2019)
    • 1 TD (1 in 2019)
    #PizStrong

vCash

The new QB, Troy Williams, looks intriguing. He apparently had some good looks in NFL camps this past year. I wonder how long he'd take to get acclimated to the Canadian game and whether he might surpass Briscoe on the depth chart. Maybe that signing was in the works before O'Brien's release.

Some of the releases today surprised me. The Eskimos really talked up Charland coming in and competing for the safety spot. Dupuis and Spooner were both decent Canadian depth, too - and Dupuis with some time served in the organization, so they must really believe they have better or can find better.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    The new QB, Troy Williams, looks intriguing. He apparently had some good looks in NFL camps this past year. I wonder how long he'd take to get acclimated to the Canadian game and whether he might surpass Briscoe on the depth chart. Maybe that signing was in the works before O'Brien's release.

Some of the releases today surprised me. The Eskimos really talked up Charland coming in and competing for the safety spot. Dupuis and Spooner were both decent Canadian depth, too - and Dupuis with some time served in the organization, so they must really believe they have better or can find better.
    I agree that it would have been in the works as part of the O'Brien decision, as would have been salary cap room.

As mentioned in another post, Charland was likely a case of Hutter playing well enough to surpass him, and hopes pinning on Beaulieu's development. Spooner was a PR guy I though, but was playing with the 3's at LG with too many guys playing ahead of him. Dupuis is the one that most surprised me, but I presume that's the return of Tuck claiming that roster spot.

LB is the only area where one could argue we have improved our talent overall. Every other area we have been erroded.
    I disagree with this.

There are some areas where we have arguably not improved, but I think it's a stretch to say that we've been eroded when it comes to the offensive line - upgraded significantly with SirV when healthy, upgraded somewhat with a healthy Draheim compared to MoD playing out of position, upgraded Cdn depth with Saxelid based on early eyeball test, and Rby seems to have progressed to the point where he may be capable of starting at LG as needed for the ratio. I don't believe we have lost anyone from last year that would create erosion.

The Runningbacks are stronger now than last year - Returning Gable, adding Martese Jackson later last year, and having apparent development in Jordan Robinson with Shaq Cooper in the wings. Again, don't see any losses that would erode the talent.

D-line is somewhat of an unknown, with the notable loss being Ceresna, a guy that, if I remember correct, you weren't overly high on due to lateral quickness, etc. Still retain the other three starters, and Mike Moore, with a crop of contenders looking to push for the one job. Not like we went out and signed a Micah Johnson, but I don't see this as an area where we were hurt a lot either.

Receiver is a downgrade, imo, no matter who you bring in to replace Walker, Williams and Mitchell, but adding Ellingson, Daniels, Collins and Tevaun Smith addresses that about as well as you can hope to. I can acknowledge this as starting worse off than last year. QB is pretty much exactly the same - a loss, even when mitigated as well as possible, is still a small step back. That said, I don't have any problem believing that Trevor Harris will be more effective this year than Mike Reilly was in the last 9 games of the season last year when things were sputtering and inconsistent.

ST - I believe we've upgraded this - both due to coaching, as well as the return of Tuck and the additions of Stangby/Robinson/Jackson. Retained our 90% FG kicker, and O'Neill has looked good early.

Secondary - Lost Grymes and Maston, added Orange. Yet to play out, but if we see a healthy Colquhoun, that immediately affects the caliber of the starters. Hightower is essentially a holdover, though fully healthy now, and Glass/Walker/Johnson/Taylor all look capable of playing roles as needed if Hunter doesn't progress. The change at Safety is a TBD - there are few on this board that acknowledge King as being useful (I liked him more than most), but I think it's an unknown, yet potentially positive position for Beaulieu and Hutter to grow into, with Hoover potentially as the placeholder for now - and before people think that they know all about Hoover, 95% of what they've seen of him was playing on the corner, not as a Safety. One can choose to see the loss of Grymes as bigger than the gain of Orange, but that's close to even, and I don't see a lot of erosion elsewhere on the back end.

Tough to argue that we haven't improved our talent when we're not yet fully sure how some of the pieces we've added will fit together and perform.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteNorth; 06-03-2019 at 04:28 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I agree that it would have been in the works as part of the O'Brien decision, as would have been salary cap room.

As mentioned in another post, Charland was likely a case of Hutter playing well enough to surpass him, and hopes pinning on Beaulieu's development. Spooner was a PR guy I though, but was playing with the 3's at LG with too many guys playing ahead of him. Dupuis is the one that most surprised me, but I presume that's the return of Tuck claiming that roster spot.

I disagree with this.

There are some areas where we have arguably not improved, but I think it's a stretch to say that we've been eroded when it comes to the offensive line - upgraded significantly with SirV when healthy, upgraded somewhat with a healthy Draheim compared to MoD playing out of position, upgraded Cdn depth with Saxelid based on early eyeball test, and Rby seems to have progressed to the point where he may be capable of starting at LG as needed for the ratio. I don't believe we have lost anyone from last year that would create erosion.

The Runningbacks are stronger now than last year - Returning Gable, adding Martese Jackson later last year, and having apparent development in Jordan Robinson with Shaq Cooper in the wings. Again, don't see any losses that would erode the talent.

D-line is somewhat of an unknown, with the notable loss being Ceresna, a guy that, if I remember correct, you weren't overly high on due to lateral quickness, etc. Still retain the other three starters, and Mike Moore, with a crop of contenders looking to push for the one job. Not like we went out and signed a Micah Johnson, but I don't see this as an area where we were hurt a lot either.

Receiver is a downgrade, imo, no matter who you bring in to replace Walker, Williams and Mitchell, but adding Ellingson, Daniels, Collins and Tevaun Smith addresses that about as well as you can hope to. I can acknowledge this as starting worse off than last year. QB is pretty much exactly the same - a loss, even when mitigated as well as possible, is still a small step back. That said, I don't have any problem believing that Trevor Harris will be more effective this year than Mike Reilly was in the last 9 games of the season last year when things were sputtering and inconsistent.

ST - I believe we've upgraded this - both due to coaching, as well as the return of Tuck and the additions of Stangby/Robinson/Jackson. Retained our 90% FG kicker, and O'Neill has looked good early.

Secondary - Lost Grymes and Maston, added Orange. Yet to play out, but if we see a healthy Colquhoun, that immediately affects the caliber of the starters. Hightower is essentially a holdover, though fully healthy now, and Glass/Walker/Johnson/Taylor all look capable of playing roles as needed if Hunter doesn't progress. The change at Safety is a TBD - there are few on this board that acknowledge King as being useful (I liked him more than most), but I think it's an unknown, yet potentially positive position for Beaulieu and Hutter to grow into, with Hoover potentially as the placeholder for now - and before people think that they know all about Hoover, 95% of what they've seen of him was playing on the corner, not as a Safety. One can choose to see the loss of Grymes as bigger than the gain of Orange, but that's close to even, and I don't see a lot of erosion elsewhere on the back end.

Tough to argue that we haven't improved our talent when we're not yet fully sure how some of the pieces we've added will fit together and perform.
    Can't say that they are just as good when there are a lot of question marks that haven't proven themselves one iota yet. You hope they are but until the bullets fly for real, they simply arent. Regardless of how, we now have no prize LT. Saxelid and Ruby are still the square root of zero until proven otherwise.

Dl and DB have too many ??? until you can say we are at least even so I'll take the Parcells philosophy again and say until they show, they're a no
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I disagree with this.

I don't really see how you can think they improved.

Oline. I was a big fan of Rogers signing but he lasted what 2 days and he's out for 3/4 of the season at best. So the Esks are most likely going into the season with the exact same Oline as last year. I am not even sure they can afford to start Bond at guard because of the ration. They turned a Canadian linebacker spot into an American so ratio wise something has to give. So for most of the season, the Esks Oline hasn't improved. You listed off Saxelid with increasing the Canadian depth. Hopefully he works out but he hasn't played a down yet of regular season ball. Mason Woods was the big piece in the Franklin trade and supposed to be a Canadian starter. He spent the season on the practice roster and they cut him this year. No guarantees. So right now the Oline hasn't improved.

Runningbacks: I don't think they downgraded but they are the same as last year. Gable is 1 yr older. So they are at least equal.

Dline: I don't think it improved. We will end up with the same starters as I think Moore was on the team last year was he not and played. Maybe someone steps up to be an impact but they are at best the same right now.

Recivers: Downgraded a lot. Williams was the best receiver in the CFL. Walker wasn't far behind and Mitchell is pretty darn good. None of them are back.

St: They haven't played yet so it's hard to say what will happen.

Secondary: Was a weak point last year. They swapped out Gyrmes at Half for Orange at the corner so that's a wash talent wise. OTher than that, we could see the exact same starters as last year. Colquhoun is already hurt and we aren't out of camp yet.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I'm really hoping we see some tweaking to involve the RB's (all of them) in some more of the short passing game. Our RB's combined for just over 400 receiving yards last year. Andrew Harris did that on his own with Winnipeg.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post

Pessimistically:
    Harris < Reilly
    Dean < Sherritt
    Orange < Grymes
    Optimistically:
    Lolley D > Bene D
    Gass ST > McDiamird ST
    Unamba > Edwards
    I agree with most of what you said.

I think there is a drop off at the QB position because I think Reilly is the best QB in the league. But Harris is a good QB so I am not negative on him. I think Harris is definitely a different style of QB. He is more of a quick throw, accurate QB where as Reilly is a more power, big play QB. The pro with Harris is there is more potential for longer drives to give the defense more rest, the potential for less pick but when he has an off game, it probably won't be pretty. With Reilly, he could struggle but because of the big arm and big play capability, they could still win on a few big plays.

I think they are definitely weaker at receiver. I think Walker is one of the best receivers in the league and Williams last year WAS the best receiver in the league. I am not saying the receivers the Esks have aren't good but the Esks had 2 of the best ones last year. That's hard to replace.

I think the linebackers are better. Losing Edwards is an addition by subtraction. They upgraded at the WIL & SAM linebackers. Sherritt was a really good player, so is Dean. At worse Dean is on par, he might be better but I don't know much about him.

The areas I felt the Esks needed to upgrade the most was on the Oline. The loss of Rogers really, really hurts them. Hopefully someone can step up.

I also felt the secondary needed to be improved. I think the addition of Orange but the loss of Grymes makes it a wash between them. Orange is a corner, Grymes a half but both really good. We won't know who all makes the team but there are lots of faces from last year. We will see how it shakes out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post

I think there is a drop off at the QB position because I think Reilly is the best QB in the league. But Harris is a good QB so I am not negative on him. I think Harris is definitely a different style of QB. He is more of a quick throw, accurate QB where as Reilly is a more power, big play QB. The pro with Harris is there is more potential for longer drives to give the defense more rest, the potential for less pick but when he has an off game, it probably won't be pretty. With Reilly, he could struggle but because of the big arm and big play capability, they could still win on a few big plays.

I think they are definitely weaker at receiver. I think Walker is one of the best receivers in the league and Williams last year WAS the best receiver in the league. I am not saying the receivers the Esks have aren't good but the Esks had 2 of the best ones last year. That's hard to replace.

I think the linebackers are better. Losing Edwards is an addition by subtraction. They upgraded at the WIL & SAM linebackers. Sherritt was a really good player, so is Dean. At worse Dean is on par, he might be better but I don't know much about him.

The areas I felt the Esks needed to upgrade the most was on the Oline. The loss of Rogers really, really hurts them. Hopefully someone can step up.

I also felt the secondary needed to be improved. I think the addition of Orange but the loss of Grymes makes it a wash between them. Orange is a corner, Grymes a half but both really good. We won't know who all makes the team but there are lots of faces from last year. We will see how it shakes out.
    Great post Q!

vCash

Nice breakdown, will be interesting to see for sure.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I agree with that especially with Edwards being gone. oy.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I agree with that especially with Edwards being gone. oy.
    added bonus..... he's in BC so hopefully we befit from his lack of discipline.
    #PizStrong

vCash

added bonus..... he's in BC so hopefully we befit from his lack of discipline.
    Yeah good point, he took a lot of awful penalties...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I think Dean will be just as good as Sherritt was for us. We won't be disappointed by his play.

vCash

It will be interesting to see who ends up starting in the secondary. Lolley wants a more aggressive defense so I assume that means he will be bringing more pressure. When you bring more guys, that means there are less guys dropping back into coverage i/e linebackers. I believe I also read he wants to do more man on man coverage. To do that, you need DB's that are good cover guys. I didn't think the Esks last season where strong coverage wise. Now maybe the scheme had something to do with it but IMO some of the guys just weren't good in coverage. So I will be curious to see who makes the starters role as they have a lot of returning guys fighting for jobs.

vCash

It will be interesting to see who ends up starting in the secondary. Lolley wants a more aggressive defense so I assume that means he will be bringing more pressure. When you bring more guys, that means there are less guys dropping back into coverage i/e linebackers. I believe I also read he wants to do more man on man coverage. To do that, you need DB's that are good cover guys. I didn't think the Esks last season where strong coverage wise. Now maybe the scheme had something to do with it but IMO some of the guys just weren't good in coverage. So I will be curious to see who makes the starters role as they have a lot of returning guys fighting for jobs.
    The biggest unknown in my eyes is our secondary and how they are going to be used. Lolley likes speed and aggressiveness from his secondary and when you are hearing things like "rally to the ball" you can get a little excited for what we may be in store for. Bene was more of a keep the play in front of you kind of coordinator, where guys would sit a fair distance off the line. I'm expecting us to give up more big plays this year but significantly less yards and points.
    #PizStrong

vCash

The biggest unknown in my eyes is our secondary and how they are going to be used. Lolley likes speed and aggressiveness from his secondary and when you are hearing things like "rally to the ball" you can get a little excited for what we may be in store for. Bene was more of a keep the play in front of you kind of coordinator, where guys would sit a fair distance off the line. I'm expecting us to give up more big plays this year but significantly less yards and points.
    I'm expecting more splash plays i.e. sacks and turnovers they have a few players too they can use as hybrids lb/safety like a Nick Taylor who has secondary speed but can also play the SAM
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Bombers live streaming their game tomorrow!

Not sure we will fair much better than our second preseason game last year when all the starters stayed home.. But at least we can have a look at guys like Bobo etc