Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I don't know what happened to him but there aren't too many injuries that take 10 months to recover from
    Huh? There are lots of injuries that take that long to recover from.

What is your point? Do you think he is being hidden on the IR?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    The physical talent of Duke is undeniable, but he's not a guy that I would see giving up on the NFL dream easily (and maybe he shouldn't). I'm also not sure that he's the type of guy you're going to want to introduce into the locker room mid-season coming off an unsuccessful NFL tryout. I don't know that he was part of the problem culturally last year, and I'm not claiming that he is, but it's a little easier to see that possibility given the public persona he has. Would have to be deemed a fit for the team in terms of cap, culture and football, and it's only the last one that seems fully obvious to me.

I think I agree that it's more likely that he would follow Mike to BC, and I could see them jettisoning Carter to free up some money to sign him if need be.
    The culture thing is a good point. That seems to be a focus this year and it is working.

But you can't mention the importance of having the right team-first fit and then suggest signing me-first Carter.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    The culture thing is a good point. That seems to be a focus this year and it is working.

But you can't mention the importance of having the right team-first fit and then suggest signing me-first Carter.
    I don't think GWN was suggesting that we sign Carter...? I'm actually not sure why Carter's still employed, unless he's warming a spot for an NFL cut. On GWN's three points of culture, cap, and football, I see Carter as 0-for-3 right now.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

They might have the money if that made some cuts to guys that don't play. Now don't get mad and I am not picking on him but having Bazzie on the roster and basically not play at all while a nice luxury to have is a pretty expensive back up. They have Knox who was injured in the playoffs because he played all 18 regular season games and was one of their big free agents and who was supposed to play this season. He hasn't played yet, is he even practicing? He got injured 10 months ago. I don't know what happened to him but there aren't too many injuries that take 10 months to recover from and Diggs, his replacement has been excellent. I would assume Knox is making decent money because I think he was an all star.

I have zero issues with either of those guys and if they keep them, great but that's a lot of money tied up in 2 guys who don't play and the guys playing ahead of them are doing a very good job. So maybe you only sign Williams as their Dline has been pretty darn good.
    As pointed out Knox isn't counting against the cap right now but trading or cutting him will have potential future cap savings implications so that could be an option for sure. As far as him being stashed, if that were the case he would have been practicing the last few weeks as he's allowed to without costing the team a dime towards their cap but he hasn't been. Brocks value find in Diggs has allowed us to not push JSK into action.

As far as Bazzie goes, rumor has it that he took a paycut this year so he could be part of what we are doing. Him floating on and off the roster would solidify this rumor as he would be stashed, cut or traded if his value was too high.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    As pointed out Knox isn't counting against the cap right now but trading or cutting him will have potential future cap savings implications so that could be an option for sure. As far as him being stashed, if that were the case he would have been practicing the last few weeks as he's allowed to without costing the team a dime towards their cap but he hasn't been. Brocks value find in Diggs has allowed us to not push JSK into action.

As far as Bazzie goes, rumor has it that he took a paycut this year so he could be part of what we are doing. Him floating on and off the roster would solidify this rumor as he would be stashed, cut or traded if his value was too high.
    All I did was comment on how the Esks could maybe free up some money to go after say a Williams. That's it. I wasn't bashing Brock nor the players.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I don't think GWN was suggesting that we sign Carter...? I'm actually not sure why Carter's still employed, unless he's warming a spot for an NFL cut. On GWN's three points of culture, cap, and football, I see Carter as 0-for-3 right now.
    Correct - I don't want any part of Carter - no way, no how.

I was just suggesting that if BC is needing to make a move to free up some money to afford adding a guy like Duke, to me, Carter would be the one that is expendable. Like Glen, I'm not sure how he's deemed to be the best option that they've got for the roster spot right now.

vCash

I have a feeling that both Duke and Ceresna will shake lose from the NFL... the EE are a better team with both those players in the line-up....agreed that Ceresna seems like a more team first type player.... but Duke many games last year was our best receiver and we never questioned his effort.

If it meant cutting Santos-Knox who has yet to play for us for the ability to sign one or both these players for last 6-8 games of season I do it 10/10 times... would Duke want to join that tire fire that Hervey has assembled over in B.C.? We must also have saved a bunch of money with OL Rodgers on the shelve..... he must be one of the highest paid OL in the league or have we already used it up?

vCash

Saskatchewan could probably free up some cash to sign Duke as well if they waved good bye to Manny. I'm sure he's getting paid way too much for those 5 catches in 4 games.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I was just suggesting that if BC is needing to make a move to free up some money to afford adding a guy like Duke, to me, Carter would be the one that is expendable. Like Glen, I'm not sure how he's deemed to be the best option that they've got for the roster spot right now.
    That was my bad. I read that incorrectly. I got it now!

vCash

Makes sense, except I don't think BC is truly in contention to sign any NFL cast-offs for just the balance of the season right now. If someone is coming up, they want to be on a team with a shot at playoff games which means more money and likely better opportunity to add to their highlight packages.

As for Carter, it still shocks me anyone is willing to try him out anymore. Too much of a distraction for not enough production. He seems a little less obnoxious this year, but he's producing less as well.

vCash

All I did was comment on how the Esks could maybe free up some money to go after say a Williams. That's it. I wasn't bashing Brock nor the players.
    Never said you did, was just having a conversation with you about it, in fact if you re-read what I said, you'll find that I agreed with you on JSK.
    #PizStrong

vCash

If money were the only issue, wouldn't he have been practicing for the 2 weeks he was allowed to, before we put him back on the IR?
    No your right...

I donít think heís healthy otherwise he would be practicing

I just know we have zero cap room

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    No your right...

I don’t think he’s healthy otherwise he would be practicing

I just know we have zero cap room
    not surprised at all
    #PizStrong

vCash

think a lot of teams are outta cap room

vCash

Never said you did, was just having a conversation with you about it, in fact if you re-read what I said, you'll find that I agreed with you on JSK.
    Yes I read what you said as much as that might surprise you.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I have a feeling that both Duke and Ceresna will shake lose from the NFL... the EE are a better team with both those players in the line-up....agreed that Ceresna seems like a more team first type player.... but Duke many games last year was our best receiver and we never questioned his effort.

If it meant cutting Santos-Knox who has yet to play for us for the ability to sign one or both these players for last 6-8 games of season I do it 10/10 times... would Duke want to join that tire fire that Hervey has assembled over in B.C.? We must also have saved a bunch of money with OL Rodgers on the shelve..... he must be one of the highest paid OL in the league or have we already used it up?
    Not looking to revise history, or change my stance on a player now that he's no longer here, but there has been some stuff that has leaked out a bit about the culture of the club last year and the efforts to improve it this year. Again, I don't know that he was a problem, but I think it's clear that "fit" is a priority with this team right now. I don't think Duke is as automatic to come back to Edmonton, nor do I think that Edmonton is as automatic to pony up a top-shelf offer. If it were Brandon Zylstra, I think you break the bank, as you likely check all the boxes there.

To me, as others have suggested, JsK is irrelevant to the discussion so long as he's 6-gamed and not counting toward the cap. Even though he's not practicing, he's active in the film room and in assisting with the development of guys like Diggs and Walton. He, like Dean and Unamba, were chosen as much for their character as their on-field ability, and if anything, given the emergence of Diggs, JSK has been another coach/mentor that isn't counting against either the player cap or the football ops cap. No way do you cut him unless it comes to a point where we can't keep him on the 6 game and need to make a decision - we're one injury to Diggs away from a challenging situation... and if you decide to trade him, it will have to be for something that makes your team better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Saskatchewan could probably free up some cash to sign Duke as well if they waved good bye to Manny. I'm sure he's getting paid way too much for those 5 catches in 4 games.
    Manny, as a veteran, is likely savvy enough to have gotten a lot of his money up front. He's also going to have been brought in for leadership and mentorship, and is likely on a one-and-done contract at this point. I take the point that the on-field production hasn't been good enough, but part of the measure for guys like him are how the younger receivers (Shaq Evans, Kyran Moore, etc) are developing. It's much easier to justify that role when he's on the 6-game and not counting a roster spot or cap room, but I'm guessing that as he works back from his knee injury, that anything they got from him prior to Labour Day was a bit of a bonus. Will be interested to see if Stafford ends up taking on some of that role in the second half of the season and into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Makes sense, except I don't think BC is truly in contention to sign any NFL cast-offs for just the balance of the season right now. If someone is coming up, they want to be on a team with a shot at playoff games which means more money and likely better opportunity to add to their highlight packages.

As for Carter, it still shocks me anyone is willing to try him out anymore. Too much of a distraction for not enough production. He seems a little less obnoxious this year, but he's producing less as well.
    You could be right - if a guy's looking for a 1-year deal and then trying the NFL again afterwards, the criteria could vary dramatically. You'd think that he'd want an offence that he knows reasonably well and a QB that he trusts and who trusts in him to get him the targets. If he's giving up on the NFL dream at all or putting it off for a bit, then he may be looking longer term than just where a club is at right now and talk to them about how he fits into future plans. Building a corps around Burnham and Williams with Durant and Johnson there too would be a nice step forward for them. If he's looking for a placeholder deal in the CFL and then potentially hitting CFL free agency to try and have more clubs in on a bidding war, then perhaps he's looking at the chances of playoff money, as an extra $25,000 can make a difference much more so when you're signing for only half a season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Knox's salary would not have counted against the cap to date.
    Well it did for the first 2 games when he was on the 1-game IR....
    Last edited by writfiler; 08-14-2019 at 05:24 PM.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, those were the dulcet tones of none other than EmpireAndrew conducting the interview. Busy guy - works, parents, carries 56Parkies on the podcasts and still finds time to get down to practice.

vCash

Depth chart is up—in are CMT, Glass & Taylor.
    Out are Cooper, Asare & Green.....

vCash

#PizStrong

vCash

Who he?

vCash

Weird. Apparently has been on the 6 game all season but never showed up on the roster as on the 6-game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Weird. Apparently has been on the 6 game all season but never showed up on the roster as on the 6-game.
    A FA signing from Ottawa. Had a few seasons with the R B's and was a good special team player.

vCash

If I'm not mistaken, those were the dulcet tones of none other than EmpireAndrew conducting the interview. Busy guy - works, parents, carries 56Parkies on the podcasts and still finds time to get down to practice.
    Unfortunately you are mistaken. Pretty much across the board in some cases there.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Right now I would wager the esks don't have cap room to buy a large double double at the moment
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

So...after all this criticism of Trevor Harris's offense and the so-called dink-and-dunk...

Guess who's second place in the league after Mike Reilly for throws over 20 yards?

So...after all this criticism of Trevor Harris's offense and the so-called dink-and-dunk...

Guess who's second place in the league after Mike Reilly for throws over 20 yards?
    Yeah I just saw that too lol, just goes to show how some fans perception doesn’t always jive with reality.

vCash

Nichols.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Nichols.
    Just passed him, and has played most of an extra game

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Nichols.
    He is now with a game in hand but Harris was second coming into the week.