Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Looks like BLM could be available for the LD game...https://www.cfl.ca/2019/08/29/stamps...ell-6-game-il/
    He's practising today apparently. Actually might be to our advantage to have him play because he should be a bit rusty. Just hoping that horseshoe he has up his butt most of the time has fallen out.

vCash

I'd rather play a rusty BLM than a game ready Arbuckle.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Anyone have any insights into what available options are out there should the need arise? Can't think of any off the top of my head. I do recall someone mentioning in an earlier post that Grant Shaw would probably not be interested considering his current gig.
    The only guy on a current roster that would be worth going after would be Zack Medeiros in Toronto. Now that Ronnie Pfeffer is healthy, Medeiros is probably expendable. Zach's punting average has been down this year, and I don't think he does kickoff duties, so that might be what we need.
    Looking at guys currently not on rosters, the only two that stand out for me are Quinn Van Gylswyk (National) and Swayze Waters (International). Both are out of football, so I'm not sure what their availability and performance/health levels would be at. I'd lean toward Van Gylswyk as he is a National and younger.
    Of course there are probably a bunch of guys I've missed, but those are the only names I can come up with.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    The only guy on a current roster that would be worth going after would be Zack Medeiros in Toronto. Now that Ronnie Pfeffer is healthy, Medeiros is probably expendable. Zach's punting average has been down this year, and I don't think he does kickoff duties, so that might be what we need.
    Looking at guys currently not on rosters, the only two that stand out for me are Quinn Van Gylswyk (National) and Swayze Waters (International). Both are out of football, so I'm not sure what their availability and performance/health levels would be at. I'd lean toward Van Gylswyk as he is a National and younger.
    Of course there are probably a bunch of guys I've missed, but those are the only names I can come up with.
    We also have Gregory Hutchings on our PR, who had a 68 yard kickoff and 4 punts for an average of 38.2 in preseason
    #PizStrong

vCash

Yup, I think Hutchins is a fine place kicker, but I don't think punting is where he excels. I think he's a lot like Sean Whyte.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 08-29-2019 at 02:37 PM.

vCash

Yup, I think Hutchins is a fine place kicker, but I don't think punting is where he excels. I think he's a lot like Sean Whyte.
    ya his punting average isn't good enough to put in the lineup IMO
    #PizStrong

vCash

i think we seem to take for granted the job Hugh has done on punts and kickoffs. very consistent this season.

His initial season after grant shaw he was shaky, but he has shown to be very reliable.

IIRC whytey hurt himself last season doing both duties.
    pulled something.

and then we brought in swayze waters?

vCash

I do like this kids leg strength...was at practice last week and watched him kicking for the speaker hanging over the field (spoiler alert, he did not hit it).

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    whos the threat to run more? tats the one i dont want to see

vCash

I also wonder if Sean's extra duties are hurting his FG game. Just anecdotal, but it seems like he hasn't been at his usual level lately.
    He went 7/7 in FGs last game. His performance dip came before and during when Hugh went down; if anything, maybe keeping him "in the game" has sharpened him.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

Pitfall Harry Guest

I'm betting the Stamps start Arbuckle and have Mitchell ready to come in if Arbuckle struggles. However, they already proved they can beat the Esks without Mitchell. I'm hoping they rush Mitchell to start, but I doubt it.

vCash

The Stamps have already beat the Esks with Arbuckle. If Mitchell is close, I would still play Arbuckle and save Mitchell for Edmonton. For whatever reason, the Stamps have had the Esks number on labour day. There have been years where I thought the Esks would win and the Stamps pulled it out.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I just don't think Calgary is that good. And I think the Eskimos will have a serious chip on their shoulders this week.

Calgary is 3-2 at home which isn't stellar. Edmonton is 4-1 at home.

Edmonton is 2nd in the league in PPG with 25.5. Calgary is 6th with 22.0.

Edmonton is 1st in the league in yards per play at 5.6. Calgary is 6th with 4.9.

Edmonton has allowed 6 sacks tis year. Calgary has allowed 26.

The Eskimos desfense has a league best 33 sacks. Calgary is 5th at 17.

Opposing offenses complete 58.9% of passes against Edmonton (best in the league) and a whopping 72.8% against Calgary, a league worst.

Very good chance the Eskimos take both games and I think they will. Not based on homerism, but on stats. It's science!
    I'm a bit late to this conversation. Science and stats are great but they don't take into account, the mental part of the game.
    3 thoughts:
    - The issues with the red zone appear to be more mental than there being a missing piece to the puzzle, Albeit, the injuries to the Oline doesn't help. New team, new QB and new plays for many on that side of the ball. They have been struggling in the red zone and you could see everyone tighten up when they get there. They may be thinking about it all too much. If they can let that go, look out.
    - Calgary's dominance the last few years. At the start of the game and at key time's that get's into player's heads. Yeah, this is a new Stamps team and the D is getting older but if players get caught waiting for the big Stamps play that will change the game, they will make mistakes.
    - Penalties. I don't think the Esks will play any less agressive but if they are expecting the calls, or lack of calls on the Calgary D, it can mess with them once that first, inevitable, bad call comes in.

Having said that, these guys are pros and should be able to stay focussed, but the Calgary will be doing everything they can to get in their heads.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    I'm a bit late to this conversation. Science and stats are great but they don't take into account, the mental part of the game.
    3 thoughts:
    - The issues with the red zone appear to be more mental than there being a missing piece to the puzzle, Albeit, the injuries to the Oline doesn't help. New team, new QB and new plays for many on that side of the ball. They have been struggling in the red zone and you could see everyone tighten up when they get there. They may be thinking about it all too much. If they can let that go, look out.
    - Calgary's dominance the last few years. At the start of the game and at key time's that get's into player's heads. Yeah, this is a new Stamps team and the D is getting older but if players get caught waiting for the big Stamps play that will change the game, they will make mistakes.
    - Penalties. I don't think the Esks will play any less agressive but if they are expecting the calls, or lack of calls on the Calgary D, it can mess with them once that first, inevitable, bad call comes in.

Having said that, these guys are pros and should be able to stay focussed, but the Calgary will be doing everything they can to get in their heads.
    Sanchez from the TSN Panel would appear to agree with you...https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/why-isn...d-zone~1766239
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Sanchez from the TSN Panel would appear to agree with you...https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/why-isn...d-zone~1766239
    I guess I will defer to his expertise and agree with him. He doesn't seem to think the changes on the Oline are worth mentioning though. It could be a factor.

I'm amazed by how many athletes and teams struggle because they cannot get out of their own heads and just go. It was always my Achilles heel.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

I would add that we are a bit predictable in the red zone also. First down a Gable run into a run blitz D. Then a pass with an all out blitz coming. Last game on 2nd down I saw Gable looping to the right wide open & Harris not even looking his way. Threw to the end line of the end zone instead.

Very frustrating for an armchair QB.

vCash

Betts and Duke Williams were just cut. It sounds like Williams might stick around on a practice roster, but we will see with Betts.

vCash

According to TSN the Bills have released Duke Williams and Matthieu Betts was also cut by the Bears. Other notable players that were released were Alex Singleton and Marken Michel.

I know we have very little cap space but I would love it if we could sign Betts or Duke. Singleton is a game changer especially because he is Canadian, but I expect that he goes back to Calgary.

vCash

A
    Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    According to TSN the Bills have released Duke Williams and Matthieu Betts was also cut by the Bears. Other notable players that were released were Alex Singleton and Marken Michel.

I know we have very little cap space but I would love it if we could sign Betts or Duke. Singleton is a game changer especially because he is Canadian, but I expect that he goes back to Calgary.
    A big no to Williams but yes to Betts.
    Who would Duke replace in our current import receiver stable? Ellingson, Collins & Daniels aren’t going anywhere....
    Betts could slide in nicely on our D-line & wouldn’t cost an arm & a leg.
    I think Singleton sticks around with the Eagles on their PR.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    A
    A big no to Williams but yes to Betts.
    Who would Duke replace in our current import receiver stable? Ellingson, Collins & Daniels aren’t going anywhere....
    Betts could slide in nicely on our D-line & wouldn’t cost an arm & a leg.
    I think Singleton sticks around with the Eagles on their PR.....
    I could see us signing Betts at a fairly minimal contract for the rest of the year, then he'll leave his NFL options open for next year
    #PizStrong

vCash

If Duke comes back to the CFL I believe it would be BC. Though he should take notice how many sacks BC gives up meaning Reilly wont have time to find him deep

I would love to get a wr to stretch the D like Duke ... but after we see what Daniels can do now that he's healthy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post

pretty good names out there for sure.. i'd suspect majority of teams are right up against the cap right now

I think Singleton will be down in the NFL in some capacity.

vCash

Brandon Zylstra released by Minnesota. Hope BS has enough to get him signed if he wants to come back to CFL...Receivers are a plenty in the NFL. If not offered practice roster position with the Vikings he may not find other work. If we could get Zylstra and Ceresna for the stretch that be huge....

I release both these players will be expensive....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Brandon Zylstra released by Minnesota. Hope BS has enough to get him signed if he wants to come back to CFL...Receivers are a plenty in the NFL. If not offered practice roster position with the Vikings he may not find other work. If we could get Zylstra and Ceresna for the stretch that be huge....

I release both these players will be expensive....
    Zylstra yes, Ceresna not so much....

vCash

Gonna be real hard for any of these players to return home. We don't have the cap space, and receiver isn't exactly a position of need at the moment. Even cutting Collins outright wouldn't get it done.

vCash

Could we not go back to starting 4 American receivers with Zylstra? I’m kinda on the fence with the salary cap situation. On one hand, glad we spent money in off season to make team better. On other hand, wish we had some in the bank to grab some of these players. Not sure what Zylstra plans are, but kill me to see him other teams uniform. Best receiver in league...

vCash

Gonna be real hard for any of these players to return home. We don't have the cap space, and receiver isn't exactly a position of need at the moment. Even cutting Collins outright wouldn't get it done.
    We could create some cap space by releasing Santos-Knox who has yet to play & may not for awhile....
    Not sure if his contract would be guaranteed if released now?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    We could create some cap space by releasing Santos-Knox who has yet to play & may not for awhile....
    Not sure if his contract would be guaranteed if released now?
    If he hasn't yet played, doesn't that mean that he hasn't affected our cap (thereby not freeing up cap money if he's released)?

vCash

If memory serves, he was on the 1-game IR for the first 2 games of the season & has been on the 6-game IR since then.
    So the cap savings is minimal....

vCash

What I don't understand, is how we are in the "cap hell" that we appear to be in. Can you imagine if all our expensive free agents actually played full seasons instead of riding the six game IR.

vCash

What I don't understand, is how we are in the "cap hell" that we appear to be in. Can you imagine if all our expensive free agents actually played full seasons instead of riding the six game IR.
    Maybe we used Saskatchewan's style of bookkeeping. I seem to recall it worked so well for them a couple of years ago that they had a whole spare team.