Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1449

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Whoa...was starting to think that would never happen!
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Whoa...was starting to think that would never happen!
    At this rate, could we boast an all-canadian D-line but all amercian O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Wow!

Great news!

vCash

He’s been on our radar for a long time!
    Kudos getting him.. let’s hope he’s still got some miles in the tank

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    He’s been on our radar for a long time!
    Kudos getting him.. let’s hope he’s still got some miles in the tank
    Hopefully he adjusts to the CFL game better than Vaughn Martin did. I thought Martin was going to be a big asset for the Als. We had some good Cdn D linemen before signing Charles. Both Joseph and Mackie have looked decent when given a chance. DT is certainly not a weakness for us, wonder if we are looking to trade.

IMO the DL is the key to our whole team, nice to have an injection of fresh talent there going down the stretch.

vCash

Confirmed... with some additional signings.

Clarke played DT in college; Nickelson is another big O-lineman at 6'10" and 315 lbs (experience at RG and both tackle positions); Priester spent some time on the Bombers roster.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 09-16-2019 at 10:51 AM.

vCash

Some guys have to be going out right for cap reasons? They signed Betts last week who I assume wasn't cheap and now they signed Charles who I assume wouldn't be cheap.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Some guys have to be going out right for cap reasons? They signed Betts last week who I assume wasn't cheap and now they signed Charles who I assume wouldn't be cheap.
    I would think so but according to the Sunderland interview after the Betts signing, we had some room. (1:30 mark)

#PizStrong

vCash

Once Betts and Charles get up to speed, it will be interesting to see who they line up. They have a ton of Dlinemen.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Could we possibly look to be starting two Nationals on the DL with Boetang and Charles. I would assume Charles was not cheap as he has been in NFL for 6 years... Betts could rotate with Boetang. Not sure who would rotate with Charles though. Would free international spot elsewhere. Maybe extra REC or international at S....

vCash

Hey Mondo, the real saviour is here now.... Just kidding Just kidding.

I bet we see a fairly generous rotation game to game to keep that DL fresh. Sewell and Charles aren't spring chickens.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Tyquan Glass seems to me to be the new Bryant Mitchell.
    I agree with you. I've thought that Glass has been pretty decent when he is in yet he seems to be the one that gets yanked in and out of the line up. When I watch the games, you hear Hunter's name a fair bit with penalties or see him getting targeted and lit up. I think Calgary had a bit of a field day with him a few times yet he's in there game after game.

vCash

I agree with you. I've thought that Glass has been pretty decent when he is in yet he seems to be the one that gets yanked in and out of the line up. When I watch the games, you hear Hunter's name a fair bit with penalties or see him getting targeted and lit up. I think Calgary had a bit of a field day with him a few times yet he's in there game after game.
    I do agree with you on this too, I really liked Glass's game early in the year.

vCash

Quick talley on Hunter's penalties based on my quick calculations from cfl.ca game tracker.
    3 penalties in the last six games (that includes 3 games against the Stampeders)
    2 of them were last game (1 for PI - 13 yards; 1 for rough play - 15 yards); he had a 10 yarder 3 games ago to round things out

Two big plays I noticed from Hunter in the last game were the interception and the smart decision to go for the ball on a short kick to get a 15 yard penalty for no yards against Calgary.

vCash

Quick talley on Hunter's penalties based on my quick calculations from cfl.ca game tracker.
    3 penalties in the last six games (that includes 3 games against the Stampeders)
    2 of them were last game (1 for PI - 13 yards; 1 for rough play - 15 yards); he had a 10 yarder 3 games ago to round things out

Two big plays I noticed from Hunter in the last game were the interception and the smart decision to go for the ball on a short kick to get a 15 yard penalty for no yards against Calgary.
    and the PI in the Calgary game was total bunk IMO. Might we see him move back to safety?

- - - Updated - - -

Once Betts and Charles get up to speed, it will be interesting to see who they line up. They have a ton of Dlinemen.
    The easy moves would be to bring in Betts and Charles and remove Joseph and Mackie but I'm not sure what this would do to your special teams as I think Mackie was playing there.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Wow! I am super excited to have Charles and Betts on the roster!!

Justin Senior next please.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post

The easy moves would be to bring in Betts and Charles and remove Joseph and Mackie but I'm not sure what this would do to your special teams as I think Mackie was playing there.
    Tough roster juggling. I suspect one or two people may stub toes at practice this week

vCash

I would like to see Walker or Hunter at the Safety position if possible. With Hightower coming back (who I thought was one of our best DB's prior to injury) and hopefully CB Colquhoun returning at some point, we should have the flexibility. No disrespect to Hoover, just think that is a position we can improve due to our National depth and recent signings.

Question..... If Charles is not a starter or 1 of the 7 designated National starters, but rotates in on the Dline to replace Moore, are we able then to replace a designated National starter aka Hoover with an international? If so, I could see us utilizing this down the stretch if Charles is ready to step in...

My 3 cents...

vCash

#PizStrong

vCash

Tough call on what to do. I don't know exactly what the injury is but I assume it's just something that needs some rest. I'd almost rest him for this week. The last thing they need is to play him when he isn't healthy and he get hurt and is out long term. The Esks are firmly in 4th in the West. Calgary is 4 pts up and plays Toronto this week so that should be a win so it will be hard to make up ground on them. The Esks are firmly in the cross over, a full 6 pts ahead of Ottawa. The Hamilton game will be a physical, probably defensive game. So I'd be tempted to rest Harris and save him for the Sept 28th game where they play Ottawa.

vCash

It seems like a little thing, but a healthy Hugh booming punts can really help us with field position. Hoping he's 100% for the road trip.

vCash

It seems like a little thing, but a healthy Hugh booming punts can really help us with field position. Hoping he's 100% for the road trip.
    Although Whyte has done a decent job of punting, OíNeill is better & has better length on his kickoffs.
    That said, his return will mean another roster spot having to be used....

vCash

Will definitely be interesting to see how they line-up come Thursday morning when the depth chart comes out.

I'll be flying to Edmonton Friday morning for this game and Ricky's celebration. Can't wait!

vCash

If Kilgore has to play I’m confident he can get the job done..

It’s a bit like Freddys night, we have to win Friday.. it’s Ricky’s night

vCash

[QUOTE=Hugoagogo;871774
    It seems like a little thing, but a healthy Hugh booming punts can really help us with field position. Hoping he's 100% for the road trip.[/QUOTE]

We will be ready for them to come to Ottawa. We'll be behind the players bench and flashing our colours.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Tough call on what to do. I don't know exactly what the injury is but I assume it's just something that needs some rest. I'd almost rest him for this week. The last thing they need is to play him when he isn't healthy and he get hurt and is out long term. The Esks are firmly in 4th in the West. Calgary is 4 pts up and plays Toronto this week so that should be a win so it will be hard to make up ground on them. The Esks are firmly in the cross over, a full 6 pts ahead of Ottawa. The Hamilton game will be a physical, probably defensive game. So I'd be tempted to rest Harris and save him for the Sept 28th game where they play Ottawa.
    I hate to pull the chute on any game, but makes sense. They need to make up 3 games to catch Calgary or 4 against Winnipeg which is basically impossible in six weeks. So a home playoff game is no longer realistically in play.

They also need to make up 2 games against Saskatchewan though that is at least doable with the end of year head to head.

To guarantee playoffs, next week's game is likely the clincher to secure at least a spot and therefore likely more important. So I wouldn't risk him unless he's 100% or very close to it.

The only caveat is that the team needs some good vibes and needs them now, winning this week could really start that turn they need.

vCash

I don't think it's just the penalties that raise people's ire with Hunter - it's also that he's been getting beat and missing tackles more than others, IIRC. Every good play he makes - and there are some - seems to be undone in short order.

That being said, I think he's better suited at certain positions over others - he has moved around a bunch - and safety might work out better. Also, during the first game at Calgary where he had Josh Johnson coaching him up (the only time the live mics ever gave us anything constructive), that side of the field gave up very little. If we could go back to that configuration, I think it could work out well.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I hate to pull the chute on any game, but makes sense. They need to make up 3 games to catch Calgary or 4 against Winnipeg which is basically impossible in six weeks. So a home playoff game is no longer realistically in play.

They also need to make up 2 games against Saskatchewan though that is at least doable with the end of year head to head.

To guarantee playoffs, next week's game is likely the clincher to secure at least a spot and therefore likely more important. So I wouldn't risk him unless he's 100% or very close to it.

The only caveat is that the team needs some good vibes and needs them now, winning this week could really start that turn they need.
    I don't like giving up on games either but if he's banged up, the last thing the Esks need is for him to be borderline in being able to play, decide to go like he did against Calgary and aggravate it. If he aggravates it, there is no bye week to fall back on for rest. Then they could be in real trouble.

Unless Harris is truly healthy, I would start Kilgore, hope your defense can keep it real close and maybe you can pull it out. Hamilton with Evans hasn't exactly been torching teams offensively.