"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    They're very good, thank goodness
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Have to say that Hoover has really surprised me this year, seems to be well respected in the locker room.

https://www.esks.com/2019/08/12/hoov...e-saving-play/
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Have to say that Hoover has really surprised me this year, seems to be well respected in the locker room.

Hoover has been playing hard. Hope it continues.

vCash

CMT has twice been on the 6-game IR this season & both times has been pulled off early....

vCash

Intellectually, I've been confident that Hoover has the football IQ to understand the game.

Emotionally, it's good to hear him talk about the ability to overcome a mistake, flush it and move on rather than letting himself get distracted and having the other team get in his head (easier said than done).

Physically, I think it's fair to say that the jury is still out as to what he is, and more so, what he will be as he continues to get experience.

Mistakes will happen for virtually any DB going up against a pro receiver with a QB and offensive coordinator designing things to trick them and capitalize on tendencies, weaknesses, etc. You just want to see those minimized and when then happen, to see guys bounce back rather than take a PI the next time someone throws at them. Compared to the general expectation - which all too often gets set based on the rookie season and first appearances - I think Hoover has exceeded for most people. Not yet a regular difference maker, but neither has he been a liability, and he's playing a role on the top-rated pass defence that has seen multiple guys in and out of the lineup, challenging both the depth and the continuity. I'm really curious to see how he continues to grow into the role.

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    CMT has twice been on the 6-game IR this season & both times has been pulled off early....
    I think this is reflective of the EEFC's approach to injuries this year - use the 6-game rather than the 1-game if there is a chance that it will be 2 games or more, knowing you can always pull the guy back if the roster needs dictate. Only real downside is the guy's ability to actively practice with the team during that time, but the upside of the cap relief would seem worth it.

Speaking of injuries, it's worth noting that Arjen Colquhoun has played in all 8 Eskimo game so far, starting the past 5. Not wanting to jinx anything, but so far, there are seeming to be some positives from the off-season work and changes in his training. Hope that it continues to last over the next 8 games too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Intellectually, I've been confident that Hoover has the football IQ to understand the game.

Emotionally, it's good to hear him talk about the ability to overcome a mistake, flush it and move on rather than letting himself get distracted and having the other team get in his head (easier said than done).

Physically, I think it's fair to say that the jury is still out as to what he is, and more so, what he will be as he continues to get experience.

Mistakes will happen for virtually any DB going up against a pro receiver with a QB and offensive coordinator designing things to trick them and capitalize on tendencies, weaknesses, etc. You just want to see those minimized and when then happen, to see guys bounce back rather than take a PI the next time someone throws at them. Compared to the general expectation - which all too often gets set based on the rookie season and first appearances - I think Hoover has exceeded for most people. Not yet a regular difference maker, but neither has he been a liability, and he's playing a role on the top-rated pass defence that has seen multiple guys in and out of the lineup, challenging both the depth and the continuity. I'm really curious to see how he continues to grow into the role.

I think this is reflective of the EEFC's approach to injuries this year - use the 6-game rather than the 1-game if there is a chance that it will be 2 games or more, knowing you can always pull the guy back if the roster needs dictate. Only real downside is the guy's ability to actively practice with the team during that time, but the upside of the cap relief would seem worth it.

Speaking of injuries, it's worth noting that Arjen Colquhoun has played in all 8 Eskimo game so far, starting the past 5. Not wanting to jinx anything, but so far, there are seeming to be some positives from the off-season work and changes in his training. Hope that it continues to last over the next 8 games too.
    please delete this now

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    please delete this now

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    please delete this now
    Please, before Sectionq sees it!

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Please, before Sectionq sees it!
    Too late. I saw it.

I am pleasantly surprised by Colquhoun as he's been able to keep healthy so far. That probably means he's due to go down with a hang nail pretty quick.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Too late. I saw it.

I am pleasantly surprised by Colquhoun as he's been able to keep healthy so far. That probably means he's due to go down with a hang nail pretty quick.
    Nah, he spent most of his off-season strengthening his nails, all good. https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...rengthen-nails

vCash

vCash

Interesting, I thought he was ready and just not being rushed as Diggs has filled in admirably but if hes not even practicing, he must have tweaked something
    #PizStrong

vCash

Interesting, I thought he was ready and just not being rushed as Diggs has filled in admirably but if hes not even practicing, he must have tweaked something
    Like you said, the good news is Diggs is playing at a really high level. He's becoming a favourite of mine on the D - but there's a long list to choose from.

vCash

Cap room could be an issue as well.. we have a lot of bodies and not much room left... ( I have been told none )

That and diggs has been a revelation.. u ain’t gonna pull him out now..

I’m sure Knox might be up for trade bait before the years out

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Too late. I saw it.

I know that I was also skeptical about Colquhoun to the point of wondering if we shouldn't release him given his injury history, the rumours about his fragility, and the fact that he again started the year banged up. That said, I have been really impressed with his play so far and I am happy to have been served with a large helping of crow.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Cap room could be an issue as well.. we have a lot of bodies and not much room left... ( I have been told none )

That and diggs has been a revelation.. u ain’t gonna pull him out now..

I’m sure Knox might be up for trade bait before the years out
    If money were the only issue, wouldn't he have been practicing for the 2 weeks he was allowed to, before we put him back on the IR?
    #PizStrong

vCash

I hope we have enough money to resign WR Duke Williams and DL Jake Ceresna...

Duke is that big bodied REC we are missing.... I think I (we) forget how good he was last season. If he shakes loose he needs to be BS #1 priority. Plus I don’t want to see him or Jake in BC uniform. They both former Esks so you know Hervey will want them regardless of skill...

My 3 cents...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post

Duke is that big bodied REC we are missing.... I think I (we) forget how good he was last season. If he shakes loose he needs to be BS #1 priority. Plus I don’t want to see him or Jake in BC uniform. They both former Esks so you know Hervey will want them regardless of skill...

My 3 cents...
    Yeah, we don't have any receivers who could do this.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1053501058306043906

vCash

My 3 cents...
    I'm betting that Williams winds up in BC if he comes back to Canada. He had a huge highlight reel because of the throws that Mike Reilly lofted up to him. He'll want more of the same. He's only 26 so I'm sure he'll be looking for another shot at the NFL. Ed will give him the half year contract he wants. Reilly will throw him the deep ball.

vCash

I'm betting that Williams winds up in BC if he comes back to Canada. He had a huge highlight reel because of the throws that Mike Reilly lofted up to him. He'll want more of the same. He's only 26 so I'm sure he'll be looking for another shot at the NFL. Ed will give him the half year contract he wants. Reilly will throw him the deep ball.
    You mean if Reilly gets time.

vCash

Just in time to miss the playoffs.

vCash

My 3 cents...
    Can't see us having the money to sign those guys, unless we make some trades
    #PizStrong

vCash

My 3 cents...
    Do we really need to change up the DL considering how well it’s played so far?
    And I’m not sure about Williams & his me-first attitude.....

vCash

Is that Weston Dressler in the back ground

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I know that I was also skeptical about Colquhoun to the point of wondering if we shouldn't release him given his injury history, the rumours about his fragility, and the fact that he again started the year banged up. That said, I have been really impressed with his play so far and I am happy to have been served with a large helping of crow.
    I think we all have a tendency to make up our mind on guys too quickly at times rather than letting the development play out. Not only for how they learn and perform, but also how they mature, learn to prepare and take care of their bodies, etc. The grind of a pro schedule, and the types of opponents they're facing are very different than what they've seen, even at a big school like he attended. They won't all pan out, but when it comes to a potential ratio-breaking starter, they need one heck of a long leash and you live with those that don't pan out in the hopes of keeping the ones that do.

If money were the only issue, wouldn't he have been practicing for the 2 weeks he was allowed to, before we put him back on the IR?
    Excellent point. I could see a trade as an option down the line if the value returning were right, but otherwise, if we believe that we're a contender, I think you keep the valuable depth so long as he isn't costing you cap space.

My 3 cents...
    The physical talent of Duke is undeniable, but he's not a guy that I would see giving up on the NFL dream easily (and maybe he shouldn't). I'm also not sure that he's the type of guy you're going to want to introduce into the locker room mid-season coming off an unsuccessful NFL tryout. I don't know that he was part of the problem culturally last year, and I'm not claiming that he is, but it's a little easier to see that possibility given the public persona he has. Would have to be deemed a fit for the team in terms of cap, culture and football, and it's only the last one that seems fully obvious to me.

I think I agree that it's more likely that he would follow Mike to BC, and I could see them jettisoning Carter to free up some money to sign him if need be.

As for Jake, I think he'd be a fit for the culture, he's one of Brock's guys and definitely one of D-Max's guys, he admires the heck out of Mondo and we're not exactly locked in on Vickers, so there could be roster room. For a half-season, the cap hit wouldn't be unmanageable and it's at a position where I don't think his NFL experience would hurt at all (bulking up, etc). Could be a good rotational addition with Moore and Sewell without disrupting things much. This is a guy that is used to battling the odds, having come up through Div II and Div III college ball and just works and works. While it's an uphill climb to make the Giants PR even, if he can get a foothold, he's young enough and relentless enough to get there. To me, a priority re-signing if he shakes loose.

vCash

This week's show

vCash

Can't see us having the money to sign those guys, unless we make some trades
    They might have the money if that made some cuts to guys that don't play. Now don't get mad and I am not picking on him but having Bazzie on the roster and basically not play at all while a nice luxury to have is a pretty expensive back up. They have Knox who was injured in the playoffs because he played all 18 regular season games and was one of their big free agents and who was supposed to play this season. He hasn't played yet, is he even practicing? He got injured 10 months ago. I don't know what happened to him but there aren't too many injuries that take 10 months to recover from and Diggs, his replacement has been excellent. I would assume Knox is making decent money because I think he was an all star.

I have zero issues with either of those guys and if they keep them, great but that's a lot of money tied up in 2 guys who don't play and the guys playing ahead of them are doing a very good job. So maybe you only sign Williams as their Dline has been pretty darn good.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 08-14-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Knox's salary would not have counted against the cap to date.