Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1421

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    So a jump ball receiver then, see big play receiver means to me a guy that can get open deep that's what Daniels brings so I think we lost something in the translation in that case no we don't really have a receiver to throw a fade route jump ball to.
    I know Duke Williams was a beast when it came to those jump balls, but I wonder about Kevin Elliott? I realize it was a number of years ago, but Elliott's NFL combine results produced a much faster 40 and a vertical that was 4 inches more than Duke. Perhaps when they tried to squeeze him into the lineup earlier in the season, he was projected to be that jump ball guy and it didn't pan out? Don't know, but I guess we need a QB who can put the ball on the target as well right now.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    They couldn't stop Chris Streveler to save their lives...ran roughshod over our run defense like Forrest Gump through the Tennessee Volunteers...
    See that's the thing, Last week was the first time this year that we have given up over 300 yard through the air. In fact we've held teams to 200 yards or less passing in 8 of 13 games. As far as our run D we've given up 100 yards or more 5 times with one of those being over 200. We are ranked 5th in yards per game against the run and 7th on opponents average rush.
    #PizStrong

vCash

So a jump ball receiver then, see big play receiver means to me a guy that can get open deep that's what Daniels brings so I think we lost something in the translation in that case no we don't really have a receiver to throw a fade route jump ball to.
    A jump ball receiver yes but also a guy who when you absolutely need a guy to make a big catch, he's that guy. I am having a hard time explaining it I realize. I also don't want it to come across that I think there is anything wrong with the Esks receivers. I think the Esks have lots of good receivers, I just don't see that guy who in a big situation more times than not somehow makes a catch. Maybe I was just spoiled when the Esks had Walker and Williams. When the Esks absolutely needed a catch whether it was a jump ball, stretching out, tight coverage, etc. More times than not Walker or Williams made a big play. I just don't see that in the Esks receivers this year.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    A jump ball receiver yes but also a guy who when you absolutely need a guy to make a big catch, he's that guy. I am having a hard time explaining it I realize. I also don't want it to come across that I think there is anything wrong with the Esks receivers. I think the Esks have lots of good receivers, I just don't see that guy who in a big situation more times than not somehow makes a catch. Maybe I was just spoiled when the Esks had Walker and Williams. When the Esks absolutely needed a catch whether it was a jump ball, stretching out, tight coverage, etc. More times than not Walker or Williams made a big play. I just don't see that in the Esks receivers this year.
    I honestly thought at the start of the year that clutch guy was going to be Ellingson and so far I'm pretty luke warm on him tbh.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I honestly thought at the start of the year that clutch guy was going to be Ellingson and so far I'm pretty luke warm on him tbh.
    Ya he's killer one game, then disappears for a few
    #PizStrong

vCash

I feel the same. He's been fine, I just expected more. Maybe my expectations were too high. I think part of the Esks scoring problems can be pinned on the play calling but IMO, I think a big part of it is the Esks receivers just don't get open enough. The defensive guys are being paid to stop you, they aren't going to gift you a TD. So find away to get open. IMO I don't see a lot of guys doing that enough and when the ball is there, make the catch. We see receivers on other teams all the time make tough catches in coverage, I don't think the Esks guys do that enough. Find a way to make a play.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    See thats the thing, on paper this team looks good but on the field something is missing. As much as I'm is Maas's corner, I'm starting to take notice and how we finish this year will color my off season opinion of him.

I would agree with you but I think this is something that gets solved with some continuity going forward. There was lots of change. i think the addition of Charles is underrated. Moore is a great rusher from the tackle position, but what we have been missing is that big hole plugger which I think Charles can be. As far as our coverage goes, there were many times last year where I had no faith that our defence could stop the opponents. This year, when we get beat it seems more like a misread or a little mental mistake. I have a lot more faith in our player's ability. I think more time together would iron that out.

penalties would be another one that I would add, forgot about that one.
    Five penalties for 25 yards last week is pretty good, hopefully not just an anomaly.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wildwest View Post
    I would agree with you but I think this is something that gets solved with some continuity going forward. There was lots of change. i think the addition of Charles is underrated. Moore is a great rusher from the tackle position, but what we have been missing is that big hole plugger which I think Charles can be. As far as our coverage goes, there were many times last year where I had no faith that our defence could stop the opponents. This year, when we get beat it seems more like a misread or a little mental mistake. I have a lot more faith in our player's ability. I think more time together would iron that out.
    Hopefully Charles can eventually come in and be a good, Canadian D tackle. Hopefully Betts can be a good D End. Then you could potentially start Boateq, Betts and Charles on the D Line, not lose anything because you have those Canadians which would free up a few American spots. Maybe you can start an American at safety instead of Hoover so you get more coverage help. I think Hoover does OK at times but I don't think he's great. Maybe that frees up a receiver spot so instead of Adjei who I am not knocking because he's just fine as a complimentary, Canadian receiver but maybe you could dress an American who has more upside. Maybe moving forward, instead of having Gable as your running back, you have Gable as your "fullback" because he's good at blocking and has decent size but it also allows you to dress more of a speed, scat back like Cooper to give you a different look at the same time. I believe the biggest knock on Cooper is you lose big time blocking wise when he is in for Gable. The offense would look a lot more dangerous if you had Gable to be able to bruise it up or Cooper to take it wide and get a homerun and both of these guys were on the field at the same time.

vCash

You actually think the Esks got screwed out of the game and think the Esks were in those games when they lost by 16 points. Good gawd!!
    Did I say that? Calgary scored three touchdowns. One was after the fake PI and another was on an interception. Their offence wasn't scoring touchdowns at will. That said the Eskimo offence failed to finish. Again.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Did I say that? Calgary scored three touchdowns. One was after the fake PI and another was on an interception. Their offence wasn't scoring touchdowns at will. That said the Eskimo offence failed to finish. Again.
    The Esks have given up 34, 25, 33, 30 points in the last 4 games. Guess what, they didn't win any of them. It really doesn't matter how you give up points, it's just an excuse. When you are giving up that many points, you aren't going to win very many games.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 09-27-2019 at 08:30 AM.

vCash

Cooper!!!
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

Cooper!!!
    Note that Draheim & Smith are both on the 6-game IR & Harris has been moved there from the 1-game list.
    Is it possible that Harris is done for the year?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Note that Draheim & Smith are both on the 6-game IR & Harris has been moved there from the 1-game list.
    Is it possible that Harris is done for the year?
    Wow. I was focused on the fact that Cooper was added until you mentioned that. Yikes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Cooper!!!
    Wow...I guess he's been so off the RADAR that he isn't even available as a TSN fantasy pick...LOL
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if this is more of a cost saving measure for the next few weeks. Keeping the possibility to have him pulled of the 6 early?
    #PizStrong

vCash

Well that's about as bad of news as the Esks can get. Harris being done. Bye bye season.

vCash

I've heard about what an amazing QB mentor/coach Jason Maas is now we're going to pick the gnat **** from the pepper if he can turn Kilgore into a half decent QB I'll be impressed. Hopefully they can concentrate on whatever Kilgore's strengths are and having Cooper out of the backfield will add some spark.
    After the Rams lost Trent Green and Kurt Warner became their QB I never throw a season away cause anything can happen but no it doesn't look good.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Well that's about as bad of news as the Esks can get. Harris being done. Bye bye season.
    Well, they should still have the horses to pull it out tomorrow. From there it's on Maas to see what he can accomplish in 4 weeks to turn a non-starter into someone that can win a playoff game (or games). They'd only need to find one win or have someone else lose just a single game if they take care of business this week, so they can likely focus on development down the stretch.

Their odds of winning a playoff game are now basically zero, but who knows what can happen over the next few weeks.

vCash
    Blog Entries

That's what I love about you Q...always so optimistic...
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    That's what I love about you Q...always so optimistic...
    Can they make the playoffs? Sure they can thanks to Ottawa and Toronto being so bad. But do you actually think they can win a playoff game on the road in the East? I am not being negative, it's freaking hard to do. They haven't done it yet with Reilly at QB, you expect them to do it with a back up who's barely played for 2 years.

I hope they can beat Ottawa, they should.
    Do you expect them to beat Hamilton in Hamilton? I don't. The Esks in general don't win a lot of games in Hamilton.
    Do you expect it's a lock to beat BC? I sure don't. The Esks whipped the Lions early primarily because the Lions Oline couldn't stop a senior. They are a lot better and I don't for a second think Reilly will be cool with losing 3 times to his old team.
    Then they have the Riders twice. Even with Harris, I didn't expect them to win both.

They have to win 3 out of the next 5 games just to get to .500.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 09-27-2019 at 10:00 AM.

vCash

Ya he's killer one game, then disappears for a few
    It's tough to make the catches in that mid-range zone when the D is playing short and tight because they don't feel a deep ball threat.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if this is more of a cost saving measure for the next few weeks. Keeping the possibility to have him pulled of the 6 early?
    There’s no cost-saving unless he’s on for the whole 6 games & there are only 5 games left....

vCash

Can they make the playoffs? Sure they can thanks to Ottawa and Toronto being so bad. But do you actually think they can win a playoff game on the road in the East? I am not being negative, it's freaking hard to do. They haven't done it yet with Reilly at QB, you expect them to do it with a back up who's barely played for 2 years.

I hope they can beat Ottawa, they should.
    Do you expect them to beat Hamilton in Hamilton? I don't. The Esks in general don't win a lot of games in Hamilton.
    Do you expect it's a lock to beat BC? I sure don't. The Esks whipped the Lions early primarily because the Lions Oline couldn't stop a senior. They are a lot better and I don't for a second think Reilly will be cool with losing 3 times to his old team.
    Then they have the Riders twice. Even with Harris, I didn't expect them to win both.

They have to win 3 out of the next 5 games just to get to .500.
    I don't think anyone's expecting .500 anymore. The likely record is either 7-11 or 8-10. If they win tomorrow, they are very close to clinched, so it's almost like they'd need to treat the next four games as a sort of training camp building towards the eventual matchup against Montreal. The opportunity is there as they know exactly who'd they'd play Week 22 and hopefully Week 23 so everything down the stretch has to be aimed at being ready to beat Montreal and if they pull that off, Hamilton.

That means early morning practices to prepare for the early starting times in the Eastern Time Zone. Essentially, the players would need to start living their routines as if they lived in the Eastern Time Zone. It means practicing schemes designed to be successful against those styles of offense/defense.

It's extremely unlikely, but we can't stop cheering on the best possible result.
    Last edited by bone; 09-27-2019 at 10:49 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Well, they should still have the horses to pull it out tomorrow. From there it's on Maas to see what he can accomplish in 4 weeks to turn a non-starter into someone that can win a playoff game (or games). They'd only need to find one win or have someone else lose just a single game if they take care of business this week, so they can likely focus on development down the stretch.

Their odds of winning a playoff game are now basically zero, but who knows what can happen over the next few weeks.
    Wonder if they bring someone in like a Brandon Bridge or try to trade for Franklin who is a FA next season. Argos might be willing to trade him if they are officially eliminated before the trade deadline...not sure if the timing would work out on that scenario. They are basically one injury away from going with a raw rookie in Briscoe. If I were the Bombers or Esks I would definitely be looking for another guy with experience to bring in. I guess the Ticats and Riders would be in the same boat if their starter got hurt. At least with the other teams in the league they still have some experience in the backup QB role.
    Last edited by adb; 09-27-2019 at 11:01 AM.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

There’s 21 imports listed—so who sits? Bazzie perhaps?

vCash

Wow.. this season sure went left after July...

God damn..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    There’s 21 imports listed—so who sits? Bazzie perhaps?
    Prob bloody cooper

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anyone's expecting .500 anymore. The likely record is either 7-11 or 8-10. If they win tomorrow, they are very close to clinched, so it's almost like they'd need to treat the next four games as a sort of training camp building towards the eventual matchup against Montreal. The opportunity is there as they know exactly who'd they'd play Week 22 and hopefully Week 23 so everything down the stretch has to be aimed at being ready to beat Montreal and if they pull that off, Hamilton.

That means early morning practices to prepare for the early starting times in the Eastern Time Zone. Essentially, the players would need to start living their routines as if they lived in the Eastern Time Zone. It means practicing schemes designed to be successful against those styles of offense/defense.

It's extremely unlikely, but we can't stop cheering on the best possible result.
    Just make the playoffs.. anyhow anyway at this point.. that is all we can hope for really..

Hope we catch fire like the 17 Argos..

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Wow.. this season sure went left after July...

God damn..

- - - Updated - - -

Prob bloody cooper

- - - Updated - - -

Just make the playoffs.. anyhow anyway at this point.. that is all we can hope for really..

Hope we catch fire like the 17 Argos..
    They had Ricky Ray.

vCash

Well if we can sneak in Harris will be hopefully healthy and u just never know! Still gotta sneak in though.. that’s the scary part!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    They had Ricky Ray.

Hopefully harris will be back for playoffs should we make it