Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1463

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

So essentially we just have to win one game to be in the playoffs right? (or hope that bc and Ott lose one).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    So essentially we just have to win one game to be in the playoffs right? (or hope that bc and Ott lose one).
    That is correct, our magic number in both cases is 1 game. A win by the Esks or a loss by both B.C. and Ottawa over the remainder of the season clinches a spot.

vCash

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Would a missed (potential) playoff game count as the sixth game?
    Sorry, I don't know the implications of playoffs in terms of cap management with the 6-game list. I'd assume it does though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    That is correct, our magic number in both cases is 1 game. A win by the Esks or a loss by both B.C. and Ottawa over the remainder of the season clinches a spot.
    Add Toronto in there as well, if they won out they'd have 7 wins and the tiebreaker by virtue of being an Eastern team. However, Toronto and Ottawa play each other twice, so no matter what only one of them could get to 7 wins.

So Edmonton's Magic Number is 1 against all 3 non-playoff teams. If Edmonton can fluke a win against Hamilton, they clinch. If they lose as most expect, one of Toronto or BC will be the first team eliminated this week when they play each other (a tie eliminates Toronto, but not BC). Ottawa has a bye this week so they get to live for another week unless Edmonton wins.
    Last edited by bone; 09-30-2019 at 01:23 PM.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Wonder what the problem in BC was wiith Danny V ? Seems they gave up on a # 1 pick rather quickly. Has size and a good career at McMaster. Wonder if one of our national receivers got injured in the Ottawa game.

Noticing we also released national punter Greg Hutchins on Sept. 27 th.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Wonder what the problem in BC was wiith Danny V ? Seems they gave up on a # 1 pick rather quickly. Has size and a good career at McMaster. Wonder if one of our national receivers got injured in the Ottawa game.

Hutchins was expendable with O’Neill returning from the 6-game IR.
    I didn’t notice either Adjey, Smith or McMaster getting injured, so perhaps this is just a depth move for the future....

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Hutchins was expendable with O’Neill returning from the 6-game IR.
    I didn’t notice either Adjey, Smith or McMaster getting injured, so perhaps this is just a depth move for the future....
    In the post game on 630 CHED when asked about Smith's play Maas complimented him especially on the fact that he was nicked up going in and had to really work hard in practice to get himself ready so that he could play.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Without Harris:

Expectations: 0/10
    Faith: 10/10
    Faith wins last week!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Add Toronto in there as well, if they won out they'd have 7 wins and the tiebreaker by virtue of being an Eastern team. However, Toronto and Ottawa play each other twice, so no matter what only one of them could get to 7 wins.

So Edmonton's Magic Number is 1 against all 3 non-playoff teams. If Edmonton can fluke a win against Hamilton, they clinch. If they lose as most expect, one of Toronto or BC will be the first team eliminated this week when they play each other (a tie eliminates Toronto, but not BC). Ottawa has a bye this week so they get to live for another week unless Edmonton wins.
    I made like the city of Toronto and forgot about the Argos!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I made like the city of Toronto and forgot about the Argos!
    #PizStrong

vCash

If Edmonton losses this week @ Hamilton and BC wins at home vs Toronto (which i see happening). That will make for a very interesting home game the following week vs BC. You have to think that BC is itching to get another game vs Edmonton and possibly ramp up the pressure on the Eskimos possibly losing the crossover. I do think edm will get the crossover, but I think that it will become very interesting. Not a stretch that we lose next two games and BC wins next two games. After that we play SASK twice. You know for a fact that they would love nothing else then knock us out of playoffs. Sask could very well want to win both those games as they may be fighting for 1st in the WEST.

My 3 cents...

Does Charles get into line-up this week?
    Still want Cooper to get another start? May maintenance day for Gable in Hamilton?

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm not saying...I'm just sayin here...
    Word around the campfire is Coop is someone who interprets the playbook a little and doesn't do the routes he's told to. For better or for worse, he doesn't follow the blocking scheme that's set out and just does his thing. Instead of doing the run up the gut, he'll bounce to the outside or vice versa and that rubs some coaches the wrong way.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Word around the campfire is Coop is someone who interprets the playbook a little and doesn't do the routes he's told to. For better or for worse, he doesn't follow the blocking scheme that's set out and just does his thing. Instead of doing the run up the gut, he'll bounce to the outside or vice versa and that rubs some coaches the wrong way.
    Not to be the smart ass, but then is the coaching game plan not to hit the line with speed, but rather shuffle back and forth before going up the gut? That's become Gable's mojo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Not to be the smart ass, but then is the coaching game plan not to hit the line with speed, but rather shuffle back and forth before going up the gut? That's become Gable's mojo.
    I agree. I like Gable but he seems to be a lot more dancing than he has been running.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    If Edmonton losses this week @ Hamilton and BC wins at home vs Toronto (which i see happening). That will make for a very interesting home game the following week vs BC. You have to think that BC is itching to get another game vs Edmonton and possibly ramp up the pressure on the Eskimos possibly losing the crossover. I do think edm will get the crossover, but I think that it will become very interesting. Not a stretch that we lose next two games and BC wins next two games. After that we play SASK twice. You know for a fact that they would love nothing else then knock us out of playoffs. Sask could very well want to win both those games as they may be fighting for 1st in the WEST.

My 3 cents...

Does Charles get into line-up this week?
    Still want Cooper to get another start? May maintenance day for Gable in Hamilton?
    Lions last 2 games are versus Riders and Stampeders (who likewise might need to win those games because of playoff ramifications) so I do agree that the Esks should get the crossover.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Lions last 2 games are versus Riders and Stampeders (who likewise might need to win those games because of playoff ramifications) so I do agree that the Esks should get the crossover.
    Certainly. We complain that the Esks record has been built on the back on non-playoff teams, but BCs wins are exactly against the same teams as us. A win vs. Montreal without Adams as the starter, 2 vs. Ottawa and 1 vs. Toronto. They may have blown out Ottawa who we barely beat, but we also blew out Toronto who they only beat off a rouge error by the returner on a missed field goal. The difference is that we beat BC twice which is why we are where we are.

If Calgary is willing to lay down vs. BC due to having playoff spot cinched in the final week, odds are that similar will be in play for at least one of our games vs. Saskatchewan, especially considering Saskatchewan has no more byes down the stretch.

There's no chance Saskatchewan will lay down for BC as they'd still have two more games to go after the game and odds are that they will still be in contention for one of the two home playoff games.

As for theories that Saskatchewan would like nothing better than to eliminate Edmonton, I doubt the players give a single damn about whether Edmonton or BC get the last spot. I mean the same could be said that they would want to knock out the best QB in the league. Edmonton and BC should very well be a non-factors in the riders eyes by the time they meet as the odds of seeing them in the playoffs are so distant.
    Last edited by bone; 10-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.

vCash

Dutifully running to the hole as planned is high school.

Improvising and finding daylight when the hole is blocked is Barry freakin Sanders.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I agree. I like Gable but he seems to be a lot more dancing than he has been running.
    Gable's whole dance routine is driving me nuts. He's not a burner or a scat back, he's a bruiser. Take the ball at full speed, hit the hole, get your 5 yards. Every game he's doing that stop and go or stutter step and as soon as that happens, he's done.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Gable's whole dance routine is driving me nuts. He's not a burner or a scat back, he's a bruiser. Take the ball at full speed, hit the hole, get your 5 yards. Every game he's doing that stop and go or stutter step and as soon as that happens, he's done.
    We agree on this one. Some guys have a knack for delaying a split second to let blocks develop but his split second has turned into a dancing with the stars routine.
    #PizStrong

vCash

We agree on this one. Some guys have a knack for delaying a split second to let blocks develop but his split second has turned into a dancing with the stars routine.
    The whole stop and go works if you are a back that has great acceleration and speed. Gable doesn't at all. He's better when he gets moving and drags guys. It's pretty rare to see Gable just flat out outrun guys.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I played organized football 10 years if I didn't do what the coach wanted I would be sitting. CMBUK is a coach and I am sure would feel the same. Changing holes based on vision etc is fine but blocking assignments and playing on the fly is not ever allowed and going to get you in the coaches good graces.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Dutifully running to the hole as planned is high school.

Improvising and finding daylight when the hole is blocked is Barry freakin Sanders.
    That’s the rub. No coach wants to be proven wrong by a player. I know I hate having my players do something they’re not supposed to do no matter what the results are. Nobody will outright say that’s why he’s not playing though. I know when I played I did what I was told or I didn’t play. If I missed my assigned route or deviated it was suicide sprints the next practice...
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

no dissing DWTS
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I call this a luxury back.. nice to have but frustrating.. I can tell u one thing,if I called iz and he kept bouncing it outside he wouldn’t play for me...

Run how it’s drawn. It’s blocked tthos way for a reason..

- - - Updated - - -

That’s the rub. No coach wants to be proven wrong by a player. I know I hate having my players do something they’re not supposed to do no matter what the results are. Nobody will outright say that’s why he’s not playing though. I know when I played I did what I was told or I didn’t play. If I missed my assigned route or deviated it was suicide sprints the next practice...

Bingo!
    If you can’t trust your players u won’t play em..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    I played organized football 10 years if I didn't do what the coach wanted I would be sitting. CMBUK is a coach and I am sure would feel the same. Changing holes based on vision etc is fine but blocking assignments and playing on the fly is not ever allowed and going to get you in the coaches good graces.

U are spot on..... vision is a great thing.. but u have backs... I have em here that bounce everything outside.. regardless of what’s called.. I pretty much stick to inside zone outside zone and dive .. those are my staples... we don’t pull linemen we keep it simple.. but this one back bounces EVERY run outside, even dives... that kid is fast any talented but he won’t play unless we’re up big or down big.. can’t trust him.. and when he is in.. u end up callongoutside ru just to appease his talents.. and after the first couple.. defences are not stupid they adjust..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The whole stop and go works if you are a back that has great acceleration and speed. Gable doesn't at all. He's better when he gets moving and drags guys. It's pretty rare to see Gable just flat out outrun guys.

Blame the play.. the hole isn’t there..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post

Van der vort was fantastic for McMaster .... can’t hurt to have him..

vCash

That’s the rub. No coach wants to be proven wrong by a player. I know I hate having my players do something they’re not supposed to do no matter what the results are.
    Sometimes coaches just need to let the talent speak for itself.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Can't wait to see Cooper get his HOF blazer.....
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Can't wait to see Cooper get his HOF blazer.....
    Can't wait to see him block. Thats the major difference. 2 knows the assignment and gets dirty.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi