Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 391

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,458
    vCash
    1625
    Rep Power
    67

    Discussion Around the CFL - 2019

    I guess it's time to start a thread for the new season.

    And with that in mind, what is up with Toronto having a game at 11 am on a Thursday? I know it's only pre-season, but don't they have enough troubles with attendance without scheduling a midweek game in the middle of the day?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    9,850
    vCash
    36387
    Rep Power
    276

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I guess it's time to start a thread for the new season.

    And with that in mind, what is up with Toronto having a game at 11 am on a Thursday? I know it's only pre-season, but don't they have enough troubles with attendance without scheduling a midweek game in the middle of the day?
    They apparently have thousands of school kids out attending the game.

    If the game was tonight, there would be nobody there, with the Raps Game 1 happening.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,791
    vCash
    2164
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    5,000 school kids at the game right now. You want to build a future fan base, this is one way to go about doing just that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,679
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    177

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    5,000 school kids at the game right now. You want to build a future fan base, this is one way to go about doing just that.
    and a current base too cause frankly that's more than they get for most Argos games.
    In Rod we trust

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,057
    vCash
    9100
    Rep Power
    797

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Argos easily beat the Als 45-20. QB's for the Argos combined for 6 TD throws - Brandon Bridge (2), Bethel Thompson (2), James Franklin (1), Michael O'Conner (1)
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,791
    vCash
    2164
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    and a current base too cause frankly that's more than they get for most Argos games.
    Haha! Very true.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,679
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    177

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Argos easily beat the Als 45-20. QB's for the Argos combined for 6 TD throws - Brandon Bridge (2), Bethel Thompson (2), James Franklin (1), Michael O'Conner (1)
    I know it's pre-season but when Brandon Bridge throws 2 tds on you....yikes!!
    In Rod we trust

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,981
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    156

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I know it's pre-season but when Brandon Bridge throws 2 tds on you....yikes!!
    Half the defence didn’t travel..

    Take that with a Pinch of salt.. but if true... makes sense

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,679
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    177

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Half the defence didn’t travel..

    Take that with a Pinch of salt.. but if true... makes sense
    I still stand by my statement....
    In Rod we trust

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,503
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I guess it's time to start a thread for the new season.

    And with that in mind, what is up with Toronto having a game at 11 am on a Thursday? I know it's only pre-season, but don't they have enough troubles with attendance without scheduling a midweek game in the middle of the day?
    They’ve been doing this for a few years now. All school kids. Pretty smart if you ask me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,981
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    156

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I still stand by my statement....
    lol

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,503
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    The funniest part of that game was when Rodney Smith threw the ball into the crowd after scoring a TD.....except “the crowd” was Bloor West.
    To be fair, he’s lucky he didn’t hit a person or a vehicle. Then it wouldn’t have been as funny.

    Also, too bad Toronto doesn’t play all their games there.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,057
    vCash
    9100
    Rep Power
    797

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    The funniest part of that game was when Rodney Smith threw the ball into the crowd after scoring a TD.....except “the crowd” was Bloor West.
    To be fair, he’s lucky he didn’t hit a person or a vehicle. Then it wouldn’t have been as funny.

    Also, too bad Toronto doesn’t play all their games there.
    Yeah, when they were originally designing the reno's for that park, I was hoping the Argos were gonna jump on board. By design it's far too small now (with no way to expand). I went to a couple of UofT games there way back around 2000-2001. The stadium sucked back then but the location was perfect for accessing from any part of the city.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,057
    vCash
    9100
    Rep Power
    797

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    This is awesome!


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,679
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    177

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    This is awesome!


    lucky for her thanks to Andre Proulx the quality bar is set pretty low
    In Rod we trust

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,503
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    lucky for her thanks to Andre Proulx the quality bar is set pretty low
    It probably wasn’t your intent, but that was a diss to her & her abilities as a CFL on field official.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,412
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    491

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    It probably wasn’t your intent, but that was a diss to her & her abilities as a CFL on field official.
    nah I think he was slamming Proulx but I could be wrong. I think its fantastic and I see no reason why there shouldn't be more female officials.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,679
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    177

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    nah I think he was slamming Proulx but I could be wrong. I think its fantastic and I see no reason why there shouldn't be more female officials.
    He was definately not slamming her I already like her better than Proulx...my language of education isn't english so sometimes my grammar is garbage
    In Rod we trust

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,321
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    444

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    After looking at Dave Campbell's tweets , just wondering how the air quality in Calgary will be for the televised game tonight. At 2300 hrs it was at 7, which is high risk. Would be a disaster if the game is cancelled. Likely even less chance if cancelled if they could switch to the Wpg- Edm game . Just wondering.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,287
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    After looking at Dave Campbell's tweets , just wondering how the air quality in Calgary will be for the televised game tonight. At 2300 hrs it was at 7, which is high risk. Would be a disaster if the game is cancelled. Likely even less chance if cancelled if they could switch to the Wpg- Edm game . Just wondering.
    They’ve pushed kickoff to 730, apparently the quality is improving but they want to give it a little extra time.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,503
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    nah I think he was slamming Proulx but I could be wrong. I think its fantastic and I see no reason why there shouldn't be more female officials.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    He was definately not slamming her I already like her better than Proulx...my language of education isn't english so sometimes my grammar is garbage
    No, I know - that’s why I said I didn’t think it was your intent.
    It’s just that if you say it’s lucky for her that André Proulx set the bar low, though, then it implies that expectations for her are low...when it’s actually the opposite. As a female being “the first” in a traditionally male space, you have to be 10X better (& that wasn’t even enough for Hillary) because you’re under the microscope at a higher magnification AND you’re also laying the groundwork for the future.
    It’s very similar to being an example for your ethnicity/culture race. That’s why I think there’s a true explanation for the Ed/Kenny thing - because Ed is also very conscious of that....just like the Obamas - it’s mind boggling how much thought they had to/still have to put into things. (Hearing the forever first lady talk about it at her tour blew my mind.)

    I agree, it’s awesome that there are female officials in the CFL. So hoping they show well today & get to do regular season games.

    But we’re cool *high five*

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,464
    vCash
    1737
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    They’ve pushed kickoff to 730, apparently the quality is improving but they want to give it a little extra time.
    Yeah it was crazy how quickly the smoke dissipated once the wind hit here....still a bit of haze but not as bad as earlier today.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,057
    vCash
    9100
    Rep Power
    797

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,057
    vCash
    9100
    Rep Power
    797

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019




    Dustin did a great job calling his first CFL game... I'll reserve judgement on the singing
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,259
    vCash
    2500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    I loved it too. Not too boring, but not over the top either.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,057
    vCash
    9100
    Rep Power
    797

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    25,283
    vCash
    2215
    Rep Power
    136

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    This is awesome!


    I see no reason whatsoever why there should not be women officials.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,057
    vCash
    9100
    Rep Power
    797

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019


    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    9,850
    vCash
    36387
    Rep Power
    276

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

    Wow...

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,412
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    491

    Re: Around the CFL - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

    Was wondering why they made little effort to sign Harris, I guess they believe Davis is ready to go.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •