Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Thanks for this, the only argument I would have is that Hamilton at 7-2 team is a contender. They have a killer D and Evans has proven capable.
    Sure they're at 7-2 on the season and if they had Masoli they're probably top 3 - but in recent history that killer defence gave up 34 points to BC with little to no non-offensive scoring and HAM only won because of yet another ST TD (which shouldn't be this repeatable although maybe they can do it).

I don't think Evans is a bad QB, and I don't think they're a bad team at all - but I don't think they're on our level. At least not yet. I may be proven wrong, and as they play more games they, and Evans, will probably get better.

edit: I completely forgot they just beat Ottawa in a snoozer. Good signs for them, certainly.
    Last edited by gizmo fan 2; Yesterday at 10:26 AM.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Yeah, their only losses were a trap game on the road vs. Montreal after pounding them the week before, and on the road in Saskatchewan where it was Evans' first game as a starter after Masoli was hurt. Granted, Evans' two wins were against what is being considered non-contenders (Ott, BC), but he was also able to finish off with a win against the first place Bombers in relief after Masoli was hurt early in the game.

They could quite possibly lose their road games against Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg (what a dreadful three game road trip to put an eastern team through), but they are looking solid to win 12+ games this year. Which in the East is very much a contender.

I'd also contend that Ottawa is still at least a partial threat. They have beaten Calgary and Saskatchewan and only lost to Calgary the second time by a bad coaching call and had a chance to beat Edmonton on their last play of the game.

They also split the first two games against Montreal. Ottawa's issue is just that they are inconsistent, but they have the ability to beat almost anyone in any individual game.
    Ottawa and specifically Davis, are a weird one for me. Sometimes they look decent, then the next game they look like the worst team in the league.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Yeah, their only losses were a trap game on the road vs. Montreal after pounding them the week before, and on the road in Saskatchewan where it was Evans' first game as a starter after Masoli was hurt. Granted, Evans' two wins were against what is being considered non-contenders (Ott, BC), but he was also able to finish off with a win against the first place Bombers in relief after Masoli was hurt early in the game.

They could quite possibly lose their road games against Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg (what a dreadful three game road trip to put an eastern team through), but they are looking solid to win 12+ games this year. Which in the East is very much a contender.

I'd also contend that Ottawa is still at least a partial threat. They have beaten Calgary and Saskatchewan and only lost to Calgary the second time by a bad coaching call and had a chance to beat Edmonton on their last play of the game.

They also split the first two games against Montreal. Ottawa's issue is just that they are inconsistent, but they have the ability to beat almost anyone in any individual game.
    For me Evans hasn't shown me the promise that Fajardo, Arbuckle, and Adams has. I know the Ticats are 7 and 2 but if I'm them I'd be nervous with the Als coming up on them in the rear view mirror. They should be ok to make the playoffs but 1st place isn't a given based on what Evans has shown me so far. Also Davis lately hasn't shown me anything either which makes me wonder if he was more lucky than good in the first couple of games or maybe he just needs more time which may also be the case with Evans. Anyways me 2 cents.
    Last edited by adb; Yesterday at 10:37 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    For me Evans hasn't shown me the promise that Fajardo, Arbuckle, and Adams has. I know the Ticats are 7 and 2 but if I'm them I'd be nervous with the Als coming up on them in the rear view mirror. They should be ok to make the playoffs but 1st place isn't a given based on what Evans has shown me so far. Anyways me 2 cents.
    Certainly, Montreal (when Adams is healthy) is a threat. I'd just contend that if Montreal is considered a contender, certainly Hamilton is as well.

That BC game, I'm not sure what to say about it. BC played very hungry that game and laid it all out trying to win that one. The fact the Hamilton came back though in that one suggests to me the team is still there. Granted, it was aided by Special Teams, but Evans still got them to the endzone twice in the final five minutes and the first drive of those two drives was backed up to their 5 before marching the field.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    For me Evans hasn't shown me the promise that Fajardo, Arbuckle, and Adams has. I know the Ticats are 7 and 2 but if I'm them I'd be nervous with the Als coming up on them in the rear view mirror. They should be ok to make the playoffs but 1st place isn't a given based on what Evans has shown me so far. Also Davis lately hasn't shown me anything either which makes me wonder if he was more lucky than good in the first couple of games or maybe he just needs more time which may also be the case with Evans. Anyways me 2 cents.
    Davis is a very good QB Prospect but he is not able to follow through and is throwing lame ducks (Injury may be a issue) also he is being pressured like mad Ala Mike Reilly and is not making good decisions based on fear of major contact.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Davis is a very good QB Prospect but he is not able to follow through and is throwing lame ducks (Injury may be a issue) also he is being pressured like mad Ala Mike Reilly and is not making good decisions based on fear of major contact.
    Davis is somewhat beyond being a prospect. He's already 30 and has been in the CFL since 2015.