Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2019

The BC Lions Football Club today announced that offensive line coach Bryan Chiu has been relieved of his coaching duties.

The club also announced that Kelly Bates has been added to the staff as offensive line coach.

Bates began his career with the Lions as a player in 2001 after being selected by the club in the 4th round of the CFL Draft. The former Vanier Cup champion from the University of Saskatchewan played seven seasons for the Lions before moving on to stints with Edmonton and Winnipeg in 2009 and 2010.

He returned to the Lions in 2011 as an offensive assistant and coached the team’s stable of running backs through the 2014 season before being named head coach at Simon Fraser University, a post he held through 2017. Bates most recently served as quality control coach with the Edmonton Eskimos in 2018.

https://www.bclions.com/2019/08/31/l...aching-duties/
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Damn ... I really do not want their Oline to get better...Well ok maybe after we plant Reilly on CW's turf in Oct.

vCash

Switching coaches mid-season doesn't often lead to much of an improvement.

I hope they do improve (other than the CW game)...I've found it hard to see Mike get pummeled week after week. We may not like his move to BC, but the guy's a warrior, a beast, and a leader. To see him in a completely untenable position with little hope for improvement hasn't been fun to watch.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Switching coaches mid-season doesn't often lead to much of an improvement.

I hope they do improve (other than the CW game)...I've found it hard to see Mike get pummeled week after week. We may not like his move to BC, but the guy's a warrior, a beast, and a leader. To see him in a completely untenable position with little hope for improvement hasn't been fun to watch.
    I've enjoyed watching it

vCash

Wow it’s been a long wait with no Thursday, Friday or Saturday games this week!! Looking forward to the game today at 1, and I hope the bombers really lay the boots to the Greenwhites today!

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Wow it’s been a long wait with no Thursday, Friday or Saturday games this week!! Looking forward to the game today at 1, and I hope the bombers really lay the boots to the Greenwhites today!
    I think they will. The riders have been way overachieving lately, and I expect the Bombers to bring them back down to earth.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I think they will. The riders have been way overachieving lately, and I expect the Bombers to bring them back down to earth.
    Fajardo hasn't seen pressure like Jefferson all year. He's going to make him make some bad decisions early. Hopefully takes the crowd out fast.
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Fajardo hasn't seen pressure like Jefferson all year. He's going to make him make some bad decisions early. Hopefully takes the crowd out fast.
    Yeah, Jefferson’s a beast.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Damn ... I really do not want their Oline to get better...Well ok maybe after we plant Reilly on CW's turf in Oct.
    At the pace they've been going he may not live that long. When I watch BC's OL and the abuse Reilly has been taking I can't help but think how polar opposite things are compared to when Calvillo operated in Montreal. BC's OL is getting lampooned for the abuse Reilly is enduring. Montreal's OL used to get heavy praise for protecting AC. IMO AC made the Larks' OL look a lot better than they may have been. A big difference between the two QBs is that AC believed that discretion was the better part of valour. He believed in living to play another down or series. He saved a lot of sacks by quickly deciding nothing is the so toss the ball OB. Reilly on the other hand wants to play the game like every play or series might be the last so he has to make something happen on it even if it means taking a big hit or sack. It's one of those things that endears himselftoall fans. I'd be willing to wager BC's OL would have 10 to 12 fewer sacks against if Reilly used a bit of AC's discretion.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    At the pace they've been going he may not live that long. When I watch BC's OL and the abuse Reilly has been taking I can't help but think how polar opposite things are compared to when Calvillo operated in Montreal. BC's OL is getting lampooned for the abuse Reilly is enduring. Montreal's OL used to get heavy praise for protecting AC. IMO AC made the Larks' OL look a lot better than they may have been. A big difference between the two QBs is that AC believed that discretion was the better part of valour. He believed in living to play another down or series. He saved a lot of sacks by quickly deciding nothing is the so toss the ball OB. Reilly on the other hand wants to play the game like every play or series might be the last so he has to make something happen on it even if it means taking a big hit or sack. It's one of those things that endears himselftoall fans. I'd be willing to wager BC's OL would have 10 to 12 fewer sacks against if Reilly used a bit of AC's discretion.
    Agreed, Reilly doesn't throw the ball away very often, waiting those couple of extra seconds for something to open up.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I still think they should throw a late round draft pick out there and try to acquire James Franklin. Argos season is lost - he probably won't be back next year - why not get something for him - especially if they aren't going to use him?

vCash

vCash

https://3downnation.com/2019/09/04/e...yed-this-game/

This the Hervey i loved here?

Talk about just ripping a guy to shreds on the way out.

Whether its true or not, just shut your mouth eh? lol

Surely some blame has got to be on OC Jackson too.
    Last edited by Maas_12; 09-04-2019 at 05:51 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post

Wow.. throw that coach under the bus..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post

That's not a good look for him this quote reeks of it's not my fault,

“We’re not talking about players who are first year players, we’re talking about guys who are all-star level players and guys who have multiple years experience playing in this league and over the course of the season were looking like they’ve never played this game before.”
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

interesting discussion regarding the league logo on 3downnation...I personally like the Maple Leaf version from 2003 - 15 which finished second in the poll...I likewise don't like the current version...https://3downnation.com/2019/09/05/c...ith-fans-poll/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Those type of quotes will come back to haunt Hervey in the long run. He did the same thing with releasing LB Elmineon. Hervey stated something to the effect that he knows when a player is best past his prime and was not able to contribute as much as he would want. I will say he looks like a pretty good MLB in SASK.

Coaches and Players will take notice....

vCash

Just noticed that cfl.ca is using the vintage logo today, not the current logo (or even the one from a few years back). What's up with that?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Just noticed that cfl.ca is using the vintage logo today, not the current logo (or even the one from a few years back). What's up with that?
    I also noticed that the Esks' instagram had vintage logos for both Stamps and Eskimos on their score update pics.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I think it's all part of the marketing promo of the New Era "retro" Turf Traditions caps that were launched last week.

vCash

Those old logos had such a touch of class to them...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

That logo was on the back of the retro t-shirts that people on the sidelines were wearing this past weekend.

vCash

Mtl prevent D. 3 on 5. Still sacks Reilly.

How's that Oline with the new coach? Lol

Sad sack lions

vCash

1-10 not sad to see that at all.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    1-10 not sad to see that at all.
    As time goes...the attachment to these folk is gone..the more and more I'm lovin seein em lose big time.

vCash

I haven’t seen it posted anywhere but TSN has extended its ownershi.....oh, excuse me, it’s television rights deal with the CFL through 2025.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I haven’t seen it posted anywhere but TSN has extended its ownershi.....oh, excuse me, it’s television rights deal with the CFL through 2025.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I really hoped the league has managed to get some games simulcast on CTV - especially the Grey Cup.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I really hoped the league has managed to get some games simulcast on CTV - especially the Grey Cup.
    For sure. Though I still have a hard time ragging on TSN as this league would no longer be here in my opinion if TSN hadn't stepped up in the mid-to-late 90s...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    For sure. Though I still have a hard time ragging on TSN as this league would no longer be here in my opinion if TSN hadn't stepped up in the mid-to-late 90s...
    Agreed. I nitpick about some of the broadcast crew, and the split screens and stuff, but their coverage overall is awesome. If you would have told most fans twenty years ago that we would have CFL coverage almost 24/7 during Grey Cup week, they'd have scoffed at the idea.