Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Montreal Gazette saying the Als could have new owners by the end of the month. Peter and Jeffery Lenkov, who grew up in Chomedy, and now reside in California. one is a lawyer and the other a Hollywood producer/ writer.
    Take the 'h' out of that town and what do you have?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Take the 'h' out of that town and what do you have?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Somehow he'll probably find a job in the league again....
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

I can understand firing Reed (particularly if that tweet from Didier is true) put please tell me that Joe Mack is only a temp interim hire. Because when it comes to putting talent on a team, Reed is probably better at it than Mack, and that ain't saying much. If Montreal wants to turn a corner and get back to respectability, Joe Mack is not the answer.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    I can understand firing Reed (particularly if that tweet from Didier is true) put please tell me that Joe Mack is only a temp interim hire. Because when it comes to putting talent on a team, Reed is probably better at it than Mack, and that ain't saying much. If Montreal wants to turn a corner and get back to respectability, Joe Mack is not the answer.
    The way I understood things, Khari Jones will have final say on all roster decisions; Mack will be managing the financial side of the GM duties. I suspect this will be status quo until new owners are in place. Don't be surprised if the league waives any penalty if adding a new GM puts the Als over the football ops cap. It is in the best interests of the entire CFL to get things as close to normal as soon as possible in Montreal.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Those are pretty dramatic charges. For Kavis's sake I hope they're not true. Certainly it's time for something new in Montreal, starting after Saturday.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Khari doing what he's done in the past couple of weeks is pretty impressive considering the big picture. I hope any/ all new owners pay attention.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Montreal Gazette reported that Kavis was evicted from his home in January for owing an outstanding $6,200 in rent.
    There were reports earlier in the year that speculated the Als had lost as much as $12 million dollars last year.
    https://3downnation.com/2019/05/28/a...n-2018-report/
    The number seems hugely inflated, but considering all the crazy rumours that are being discussed, one has to wonder wtf was going on behind the scenes in Montreal.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Khari doing what he's done in the past couple of weeks is pretty impressive considering the big picture. I hope any/ all new owners pay attention.
    I like their gameplan the last couple weeks pound that rock over and over then use Adams ability to roll out and hit some very fast receivers. They can go with any team in the East imho
    In Rod we trust

vCash

What the hell is going on in Montreal???
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

The salary cap last year was what 5.5 mill or something in that range? How did the Al's lose over twice the salary cap amount. That seems insanely inflated.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Those are pretty dramatic charges. For Kavis's sake I hope they're not true. Certainly it's time for something new in Montreal, starting after Saturday.
    I hope so too.

Would've been easy enough, if they wanted to stay vague, to say that there were a number of factors - performance, stability, new ownership potential, difference in philosophy, etc. By starting to say some of the things it wasn't, that really starts to focus the attention on what they're not saying and can cause imaginations to fill the void in the absence of a narrative. Sometimes, it is the first to get the narrative out there that can create the most lasting explanation.

I felt that there were some good personnel moves this year... on the heels of some disastrous moves and blunders over time. That the Als are more competitive doesn't surprise me, but there are so many areas still to address as an organization, not the least of which is the professionalism of how they do their football operations, essentially operating as a homeless football team all too often.

I don't know Kavis at all, but have wanted to believe that he's a good man with high character that has inherited some bad situations and tried to make the best of it. Very disturbing if the allegations that some have reported have a lot of truth behind them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I like their gameplan the last couple weeks pound that rock over and over then use Adams ability to roll out and hit some very fast receivers. They can go with any team in the East imho
    Stanback reminds me of a slightly bigger Mike Pringle. Used right he could challenge for the rushing title.

vCash

Wpg. Free Press saying the Bombers have signed LB Korey Jones.

vCash

Rumor has it that Kavis was paying some of the players that had their own companies, then having them distribute envelopes of money to other players. Is this true or not? Tough to say but there was something major going on as it clearly wasn't performance related as they are playing better then they have in years.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Rumor has it that Kavis was paying some of the players that had their own companies, then having them distribute envelopes of money to other players. Is this true or not? Tough to say but there was something major going on as it clearly wasn't performance related as they are playing better then they have in years.
    First I heard of this. Was wondering what was going on in Mtl. Doesn't really sound " hi- tech" like a Bernie Madoff scheme. Players have buddies on other teams and get released , so it's not like this could be kept quiet. You have to wonder what the heck he was thinking.

Just wondering if Kavis gets cut a deal just to get rid of this mess. Starting to sound like a laywer's dream with all kinds of litigation possible.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    First I heard of this. Was wondering what was going on in Mtl. Doesn't really sound " hi- tech" like a Bernie Madoff scheme. Players have buddies on other teams and get released , so it's not like this could be kept quiet. You have to wonder what the heck he was thinking.

Just wondering if Kavis gets cut a deal just to get rid of this mess. Starting to sound like a laywer's dream with all kinds of litigation possible.
    Certainly if it was going on, the owners knew about it as well. No wonder they lost over 10 million dollars last year. I think it's safe to assume that a community owned team like Edmonton would have a tougher time hiding that sort of cash. Makes you wonder if some of the longstanding rumours about Calgary players getting money on the side are valid too...

Hopefully the league cleans this up and takes care of everybody involved in this mess.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-16-2019 at 10:12 AM.

vCash

Was reported on TSN 690.

vCash

vCash

vCash

that should have been dealt with weeks ago....

vCash

Good. See ya, Simoni.

vCash

vCash

what a mess, hopefully this starts to get stuff sorted out over there.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Gregor had Mattieu Proulx on his show yesterday & the former Alouette alluded to exactly this taking place.
    If true, Reed will never again find work in the CFL....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Good. See ya, Simoni.

It was widely thought that the arbitrator would reduce it to 1 game as he was not a repeat offender.
    The bar has now been set for future such episodes & could even go higher if a repeat offender was involved.
    Last edited by writfiler; 07-16-2019 at 11:17 AM.

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-16-2019 at 01:13 PM.

vCash

Davis was awful but I don't think much of Jennings, losing Pruneau and Rose though ouch ouch ouch
    In Rod we trust

vCash

this is some hella ugly goin down in MTL if true...
    what a gong show like the GLIEBERMANS were for OTT? i recall they did some sleazy as heck promos and whatnot if i remember correctly watching as a child...

not sure i fully understand these allegations, but essentially paying a cheque out to a business that a player owns listing it as expenses for ???.... and then turning around into "dirty money" to pay players to circumvent listing the dollars as cap money? am i right

Kenny Stafford might know a thing or two yeah? was he not there for Kavis' first yr

what a ugly look for the league
    Last edited by Maas_12; 07-16-2019 at 04:32 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    this is some hella ugly goin down in MTL if true...
    what a gong show like the GLIEBERMANS were for OTT? i recall they did some sleazy as heck promos and whatnot if i remember correctly watching as a child...

not sure i fully understand these allegations, but essentially paying a cheque out to a business that a player owns listing it as expenses for ???.... and then turning around into "dirty money" to pay players to circumvent listing the dollars as cap money? am i right

Kenny Stafford might know a thing or two yeah? was he not there for Kavis' first yr

what a ugly look for the league
    There is a 3downnation article, since removed, but still visible in a google search, that says that "Montreal has fired two front office staffers who were working closely with former general manager Kavis Read on skirting the rules". This is one of those things that cannot happen in isolation and would require the collusive behaviour from others in the organization. It's always a bit of a moral struggle (I believe) to try and assess who went along with it willingly, and who felt pressured into it. This sort of thing is why whistle-blower protection is important.

I think you're essentially right on the basics, other than, I'm not sure I'd consider it "dirty money" - it wasn't actually the proceeds of crime. What it did was, on the surface, have the organization show expenses for other things when the money was actually being used for employee compensation. This circumvents the salary cap and is a clear violation - will be interesting to see if the Als are punished with draft picks for this or if that's deemed to be piling on. The deeper issue that could cause legal trouble, in my opinion, is the tax evasion. If players were being compensated, that is income, and if it wasn't being disclosed/reported, then both the employer (payroll taxes) and the employee (outright tax evasion) could both be in trouble.

Kenny's Montreal stint would have been done by then. He was released on Oct 17, 2016 and Reed was named the GM on Dec 14, 2016, two months later. Presumably, he didn't start this sort of scheme right away... but it also begs the question, did he come up with it or had he seen variants of it elsewhere in the CFL? I would suggest that teams have, for a long-time, compensated players with additional perks... car leases, off-season jobs, sponsorship deals, etc, that were all somewhat of a variant on this in terms of getting around the cap... and the league had taken steps to curb this by counting appropriate income against the cap. The other big difference with those, while getting around the cap potentially, they were not likely to be cash under the table that avoided taxation.

Like you say, this is an ugly look. My hope is that the owners (past and present) didn't look the other way and show willful blindness on this. If they are proven to have had knowledge of this, even if it were reasonable suspicion that they didn't act upon, there could be further carnage here.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Davis was awful but I don't think much of Jennings, losing Pruneau and Rose though ouch ouch ouch
    I thought Davis acquitted himself pretty well considering the situation. Putting up 32 on Calgary (in Calgary) and 44 on Sask in the first two weeks, before losing to Wpg and then Mtl... not saying it was all pretty, but 2-2 for a team that got gutted in the off-season isn't a bad start. Going to be some big challenges in terms of overcoming the losses of Pruneau and Rose in particular, but I'm interested to see what Jennings can do in this system. He is physically talented, hard to deny that based on what he's shown in this league already, to me, it's a case of whether he can mentally handle the challenge... not only having picked up the system, but decision making in-game. Time to put to work the lessons learned and the preparation and see what they can come up with.