Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I thought Davis acquitted himself pretty well considering the situation. Putting up 32 on Calgary (in Calgary) and 44 on Sask in the first two weeks, before losing to Wpg and then Mtl... not saying it was all pretty, but 2-2 for a team that got gutted in the off-season isn't a bad start. Going to be some big challenges in terms of overcoming the losses of Pruneau and Rose in particular, but I'm interested to see what Jennings can do in this system. He is physically talented, hard to deny that based on what he's shown in this league already, to me, it's a case of whether he can mentally handle the challenge... not only having picked up the system, but decision making in-game. Time to put to work the lessons learned and the preparation and see what they can come up with.
    yeah but he turned the ball over in Calgary a bunch if Calgary hadn't played one of the worst games ever they would have lost he played well against Sask but dude's been a turnover machine
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    yeah but he turned the ball over in Calgary a bunch if Calgary hadn't played one of the worst games ever they would have lost he played well against Sask but dude's been a turnover machine
    Agreed for sure - I tend to see it as glass half full... he got Roberson'd, but he stuck with it, overcame the turnovers and churned out enough offence to win. Turnovers are definitely an issue for him and the team, but I'm impressed by a guy that doesn't fold in the face of mistakes and seems to continue to inspire confidence from his team. Will be interesting to see the learning curve, and if an injury-induced stint on the sidelines yields the benefit of a different perspective without the confidence hit of a benching.

I think, in some ways, we're still trying to figure out the measuring sticks this year. We obviously know that Winnipeg is upper echelon, and I think it's fair to put Edmonton in that same group, but I am not yet sure how bad a loss to Mtl is, or how big a win over Cgy is, as it is hard to fully get a grasp on what those teams are. Is BC mostly a product of facing Wpg/Edm/Cgy/Tor/Edm, or have they made those teams look stronger than they are? There are some trends emerging, but much like Davis and Fajardo personally, I'm looking for larger sample sizes before measuring anyone for a hall of fame jacket. I am impressed by how both have handled themselves though.

vCash

Agreed for sure - I tend to see it as glass half full... he got Roberson'd, but he stuck with it, overcame the turnovers and churned out enough offence to win. Turnovers are definitely an issue for him and the team, but I'm impressed by a guy that doesn't fold in the face of mistakes and seems to continue to inspire confidence from his team. Will be interesting to see the learning curve, and if an injury-induced stint on the sidelines yields the benefit of a different perspective without the confidence hit of a benching.

I think, in some ways, we're still trying to figure out the measuring sticks this year. We obviously know that Winnipeg is upper echelon, and I think it's fair to put Edmonton in that same group, but I am not yet sure how bad a loss to Mtl is, or how big a win over Cgy is, as it is hard to fully get a grasp on what those teams are. Is BC mostly a product of facing Wpg/Edm/Cgy/Tor/Edm, or have they made those teams look stronger than they are? There are some trends emerging, but much like Davis and Fajardo personally, I'm looking for larger sample sizes before measuring anyone for a hall of fame jacket. I am impressed by how both have handled themselves though.
    I respect what you're saying but I just don't see Davis a ft starter in the league back up sure but his mechanics look kinda messed up. I think Montreal has found their formula and it includes a big does of Stanback.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that it means much but Edmonton will be a 5 point fave in Montreal to open
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Als release Stefan Logan. Curious timing...one wonders. One less threat to worry about this week, I guess.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

So if the scuttlebutt is true and Kavis was paying players under the table and that faucet is now shut off...are the players in question going to be released or have themselves a little "strike"? Wonder if this is why Logan was released? Who knows. Makes the last couple years of SMS Audits seem like a farce now though. Not saying Reed isn't a smart guy, but come on...if he figured out a way, surely less than reputable guys have also thought of it and perhaps put it into play? (cough...Jones...ahem...Tillman (hock tooie!)...looking at Barker...) Hope that's not the case.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Als release Stefan Logan. Curious timing...one wonders. One less threat to worry about this week, I guess.
    I imagine this has something to do with their cap situation as, you would think, the league would be motivated to right Kavis's wrongs.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I imagine this has something to do with their cap situation as, you would think, the league would be motivated to right Kavis's wrongs.
    He was fined last week for using some very inappropriate language when verbally attacking someone on twitter. Not sure if that ties in, but the conversation was interesting - something about his bio saying he was playing his last game in week four followed by a lol - that's when Stefan went ballistic on him. Unfortunately the other party doesn't appear to be on twitter any longer. I'll post a link to a screen shot of some of the text but HUGE WARNING - don't click if you are offended by 4 letter words or don't have your mommy or daddy's permission.
    https://twitter.com/DoritoHMA/status...019840/photo/1

Mods - not sure if this is okay; if not, please pull link
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    He was fined last week for using some very inappropriate language when verbally attacking someone on twitter. Not sure if that ties in, but the conversation was interesting - something about his bio saying he was playing his last game in week four followed by a lol - that's when Stefan went ballistic on him. Unfortunately the other party doesn't appear to be on twitter any longer. I'll post a link to a screen shot of some of the text but HUGE WARNING - don't click if you are offended by 4 letter words or don't have your mommy or daddy's permission.
    https://twitter.com/DoritoHMA/status...019840/photo/1

Mods - not sure if this is okay; if not, please pull link
    wow, a bit of an overreaction.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Holy smokes!!! That escalated quickly. I'd have to suspect that this guy has been trolling him and/or his team mates for a while to warrant a blow up like that.

vCash

Word out of Montreal was that the coaching staff wanted to cut Logan back in training camp, but Kavis refused to release him. Logan was supposedly bragging and calling himself untouchable. Read what you want into that considering some of the recent rumours about Kavis.

On the flip side of the Logan thing, the coaching staff supposedly were against cutting National receiver Felix Faubert-Lussier two weeks ago when Kavis released him. Faubert-Laussier is back with the Als this week.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-17-2019 at 12:10 PM.

vCash

I heard about Logan's fine but never saw what it was about...geez that was something else. I'm frankly shocked Logan has stuck around this long...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Word out of Montreal was that the coaching staff wanted to cut Logan back in training camp, but Kavis refused to release him. Logan was supposedly bragging and calling himself untouchable. Read what you want into that considering some of the recent rumours about Kavis.

On the flip side of the Logan thing, the coaching staff supposedly were against cutting National receiver Felix Faubert-Lussier two weeks ago when Kavis released him. Faubert-Laussier is back with the Als this week.
    I'd read that it was LAST preseason that the coaches wanted him gone...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I'd read that it was LAST preseason that the coaches wanted him gone...
    Yes, I believe you are correct.
    This is a good listen.
    The Montreal Gazette's Stu Cowan joined the show to talk the continued fallout of the Montreal Alouettes firing GM Kavis Reed over the weekend.
    https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-69...goat-1.1338562

vCash

It's crazy to hear that interview...and I can't disagree. This definitely goes deeper than just Kavis...

vCash

They can say all the right things but it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, this week of distractions has on the Als.

vCash

Having listened to that interview, I can't see how there wouldn't be an effect. There are accusations that certain players were setting up shell companies, being paid, and passing the money on to other players. One veteran is suddenly cut today. Even if it's not true, thousands of eyes are going to be on those players all week. Questions will be all over the place. Were players involved? If so, who were the conduits? Who's just lost a source of income, and who else might be cut for their involvement?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    They can say all the right things but it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, this week of distractions has on the Als.
    something about playing us makes them want to make big changes leading up.

vCash

Suddenly it begins to make sense how a team can lose $12 Million in a single season when the salary cap is only $5 million.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Suddenly it begins to make sense how a team can lose $12 Million in a single season when the salary cap is only $5 million.
    Just looking at Winnipeg's financials from last year (public), they had operating expenses of $30,819,350. Roughly speaking, a little more than 1/3 was on football ops, just slightly less on marketing, administration and game day, and less than 1/3 on things like the stadium lease, subsidizing transit and community events.

If the Als were even moderately aggressive with circumventing the cap, instead of $5.5 million, maybe they were at $7 - 7.5 million. There is definitely a pathway to a sizable loss if there were not the revenues from tickets, sponsorship, etc, but any overages on the salary side would only account for a small percentage of it.

I'm just spit-balling here, and not going off of any specific information, but looking back to their roster last year, the logical target that they would've been over-spending to keep happy would have seemingly been Manziel... yet he was the one guy that seemed least interested in being there or going above and beyond for the team.

I sense that there will be a lot of layers to peel back on this onion.

vCash

I sense that there will be a lot of layers to peel back on this onion.
    My eyes are watering already. Urgh.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

Speedy B is gonna be lighter in the wallet after going after Ambrosie like that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    For many teams, the distractions create a bubble with an atmosphere of us vs the world. Montréal has some very well-respected vets who are steadying forces (hi John Bowman, I heart you) & Khari from what I’ve heard has been really good at keeping the focus.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 07-17-2019 at 07:02 PM.

vCash

CJOB reporting Bomber receiver Chris Matthews was stabbed at a downtown Winnipeg restaurant on Saturday. Was taken to hospital and released. Bob Irving also tweeted that Matthews was at practice today.

vCash

vCash

I suspect former Esk/Lion Mike Benson will be activated from the PR to fill at long snapper for the next couple weeks. Damn those over the counter supplements that don't tell you what are in them
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-23-2019 at 12:45 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I suspect former Esk/Lion Mike Benson will be activated from the PR to fill at long snapper for the next couple weeks. Damn those over the counter supplements that don't tell you what are in them
    SHAME...... (ding)
    SHAME......... (ding)

vCash

Benson was just recently added, as was former Esk (and a guy that caught my eye in training camp), Darius Jackson. Benson's a good locker room guy and a very convenient addition for them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    SHAME...... (ding)
    SHAME......... (ding)
    Ha I get the reference as I just watched that episode on Sunday !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

soo what has happened with this, or is this something else the league "swept under the rug" ??

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Ha I get the reference as I just watched that episode on Sunday !

- - - Updated - - -

soo what has happened with this, or is this something else the league "swept under the rug" ??
    The CFL fined him for violating the league's social media policy . The amount was not disclosed as per league policy.
    Last edited by turftoe27; 07-23-2019 at 09:00 PM.