Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2019

I thought at the moment it happened that it looked like a dislocated shoulder. That could be a while. If Streveler's in for a while, teams will get film on him. Given the limited role of the QB in the Peg it's not a death blow, but it's not like the Bombers were dominating the league either. There are three teams nipping at their heels who could catch them in one game.

Bombers could easily be in 4th in the West when Nichols returns.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I thought at the moment it happened that it looked like a dislocated shoulder. That could be a while. If Streveler's in for a while, teams will get film on him. Given the limited role of the QB in the Peg it's not a death blow, but it's not like the Bombers were dominating the league either. There are three teams nipping at their heels who could catch them in one game.

Bombers could easily be in 4th in the West when Nichols returns.
    Will be curious to see if you're right.

Imo, part of what has made Harris effective is that teams cannot fully key on him because they have to be aware of the potential of explosion plays - they were certainly the difference against us last time. The decision making that Nichols makes and his ability to avoid turnovers will be challenging for Streveler to match, though obviously he brings some different skills to the table as well and he's seemingly a very bright guy.

There is a shorter term, and potentially a longer term strategy necessary to deal with any loss of Nichols. They'll have to replace him on the field, and also ensure that they are taking any steps they need to in order to maintain belief/confidence of the team in their chances.

vCash

Some interesting mid-season QB stats.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Is he going to give hair care tips? Cause I can't imagine he has much to teach...
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Crompton has run his own QB coaching clinic for the past three years, but has no experience coaching on a team that I can find any record of. Unusual signing, but we'll see how this plays out.

-------------

Speculation on twitter that Drew Willy is a consideration for the Bombers at backup QB.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 08-19-2019 at 08:59 AM.

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Some interesting mid-season QB stats.
    Have really been impressed with the play of Fajardo, Adams, and Arbuckle. Wonder how that will impact the QB landscape next year as Arbuckle and perhaps Streveler might be looking for starting jobs elsewhere. It's a good problem for the CFL to have as it seemed like not all clubs could come up with a legit starter the last few years.
    Last edited by adb; 08-19-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I wonder if it's not Arbuckle, but Bo looking for a new job this offseason. Bo is not worth the difference in salary. Arbuckle is cheaper, younger, and has more upside. Huff isn't afraid to make the big moves.

vCash

vCash

Wow thats a long list of absentees, I bet as the week goes it gets considerably smaller. Will be interesting to see what the Bombers gameplan is with Streveler under center. I'm guessing we are going to be seeing a steady dose of play action but is Chris going to be lowering the shoulder as much as he has in the past? Now that he's the main man are they going to pull the reins back on that part of his game or let it play out?
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Wow thats a long list of absentees, I bet as the week goes it gets considerably smaller. Will be interesting to see what the Bombers gameplan is with Streveler under center. I'm guessing we are going to be seeing a steady dose of play action but is Chris going to be lowering the shoulder as much as he has in the past? Now that he's the main man are they going to pull the reins back on that part of his game or let it play out?
    lots of misdirection fly sweeps to keep the ends from crashing down on harris
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    lots of misdirection fly sweeps to keep the ends from crashing down on harris
    Makes me wonder what we've got planned on the other side of the ball. Are we gonna throw a lot of stunts at him? I have a feeling it's gonna be a lot of blitzing the backfield with a dedicated spy on Streveler.

vCash

Makes me wonder what we've got planned on the other side of the ball. Are we gonna throw a lot of stunts at him? I have a feeling it's gonna be a lot of blitzing the backfield with a dedicated spy on Streveler.
    They're going to have to Streveler is very dangerous with his feet, his arm so-so but his feet make him dangerous.
    Fortunately I have alot of confidence in our DC
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I see a lot of screens in our defense's future. They'll try to use our aggressiveness against us. But if I can see this, I'm sure Lolley's about 100 steps ahead of it.

vCash

I see a lot of screens in our defense's future. They'll try to use our aggressiveness against us. But if I can see this, I'm sure Lolley's about 100 steps ahead of it.
    isn't that nice to be able to say tho? I have confidence in our DC instead of oh crap it's gonna be rush four and soft zone
    In Rod we trust

vCash

isn't that nice to be able to say tho? I have confidence in our DC instead of oh crap it's gonna be rush four and soft zone
    haha... so very true.

vCash

The only part of our game that makes me nervous right now is our kick cover teams. Other than that, I've really enjoyed watching this team play, even on D.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Good news for Matt.

vCash

Good news for Matt.
    #PizStrong

vCash

That would seem to be about the best news possible after what we saw.

As an amateur armchair physician, I would deduce that the shoulder popped out and back in, a subluxation I believe. That no surgery is being required likely means that it wasn't a full dislocation and that there wasn't a lot of damage to the nerves, ligaments and blood vessels around it.

Anything worse, and I think there would be some dramatic affects to the Bomber's season as contenders, but with a 4-6 game time frame, I think it's likely that they get through it reasonably well with Streveler. IIRC, the Bombers have the toughest schedule remaining based on opponents records to date, and I think the Esks are supposed to have the next hardest, so getting Nichols back for a stretch run and to get ready for the playoffs is pretty big news for them.

vCash

They're going to have to Streveler is very dangerous with his feet, his arm so-so but his feet make him dangerous.
    Fortunately I have alot of confidence in our DC
    Esks have shown a little vulnerability to running QBs, but to your point, have also shown the ability to adjust and adapt pretty well.

I expect that pressure will remain very much a part of our scheme, but it may well be less to do with sacking, and more to do with keeping him contained and forcing things to have to come out quicker than he would like. Obviously, a lot of scheming to take away Harris, both as a running and a check-down threat meaning that we'll have to have disciplined pass rush and likely pressure coming from blitzing DBs to avoid taking LBs out of the box too often.

I predict that Streveler will be more aggressive in trying to push the ball deep, whereas Nichols picks his spots a bit more.
    Life is Good.

#PizStrong

vCash

I wonder if it's not Arbuckle, but Bo looking for a new job this offseason. Bo is not worth the difference in salary. Arbuckle is cheaper, younger, and has more upside. Huff isn't afraid to make the big moves.
    Especially considering how Huff sounded pretty reluctant to spend as much as he did on BLM...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Is he going to give hair care tips? Cause I can't imagine he has much to teach...
    Likely somewhat more than Mike Reilly is getting from QB coach, Drew Tate though?
    Life is Good.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    That would seem to be about the best news possible after what we saw.

As an amateur armchair physician, I would deduce that the shoulder popped out and back in, a subluxation I believe. That no surgery is being required likely means that it wasn't a full dislocation and that there wasn't a lot of damage to the nerves, ligaments and blood vessels around it.

Anything worse, and I think there would be some dramatic affects to the Bomber's season as contenders, but with a 4-6 game time frame, I think it's likely that they get through it reasonably well with Streveler. IIRC, the Bombers have the toughest schedule remaining based on opponents records to date, and I think the Esks are supposed to have the next hardest, so getting Nichols back for a stretch run and to get ready for the playoffs is pretty big news for them.
    did a quick analysis of the schedules remaining and found the following (in order of opponents winning percentage)

1. Winnipeg has 4 home and 5 away and an opponents winning % of 60.53
    2. Edmonton has 5 home and 4 away and an opponents winning % of 56.96
    3. Calgary has 4 home and 5 away and an opponents winning % of 56.41
    4. Sask has 5 home and 5 away and an opponents winning % of 53.41
    5. BC has 6 home and 3 away and an opponents winning % of 49.35
    6. Toronto has 5 home and 5 away and an opponents winning % of 48.28
    7. Montreal has 5 home and 5 away and an opponents winning % of 43.68
    8. Hamilton has 4 home and 5 away and an opponents winning % of 43.59
    9. Ottawa has 4 home and 5 away and an opponents winning % of 35.53
    #PizStrong

vCash

My guess is that what we're seeing here is simply that there are a lot more games within divisions in the 2nd half of the season. Notice that all five western teams are ranked 1-5 on this list.

vCash

My guess is that what we're seeing here is simply that there are a lot more games within divisions in the 2nd half of the season. Notice that all five western teams are ranked 1-5 on this list.
    I was musing about this yesterday, along with strength of schedule.

Winnipeg (7-2): has no games left against the non-threats; 8 of 9 against contenders with only 3 of those at home
    Contenders: @ EDM, @ SSK, SSK, @ MTL, @ SSK, MTL, @ CGY, CGY
    Hamilton: home
    Non-threats:

Edmonton (6-3): only 5 of 9 against contenders with 3 at home
    Contenders: WPG, @ CGY, CGY, SSK, @ SSK
    Hamilton: home, away
    Non-threats: @ OTT, BC

Saskatchewan (5-3): 7 of 10 against contenders
    Contenders: WPG, @ WPG, MTL, WPG, @ CGY, @ EDM, EDM
    Hamilton:
    Non-threats: OTT, @ TOR, @ BC

Calgary (5-4): 6 of 9 against contenders
    Contenders: EDM, @ EDM, @ MTL, SSK, WPG, @ WPG
    Hamilton: Home
    Non-threats: @ TOR, @ BC

My rationale is that Montreal, with Adams at QB, has looked awfully good against good teams. If he gets hurt again or goes cold, they drop into the middle tier or lower. I don't know what to make of Hamilton yet with no Masoli - I don't think they're terrible and they certainly won't drop too many games to East teams, but I'm not sure they're at the contender level still. I'm not 100% on Sask yet either, but they just won at MTL, so I'll include them in the top tier for now.

Anyways, overall, it's looking pretty good from our end comparatively. Lots of things can change, but the stretch run is kinder to us. If we can win all of our season series (save Calgary as long as we beat them at least once), we'll be in really good shape, I think.
    Last edited by gizmo fan 2; 08-20-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    I was musing about this yesterday, along with strength of schedule.

Winnipeg (7-2): has no games left against the non-threats; 8 of 9 against contenders with only 3 of those at home
    Contenders: @ EDM, @ SSK, SSK, @ MTL, @ SSK, MTL, @ CGY, CGY
    Hamilton: home
    Non-threats:

Edmonton (6-3): only 5 of 9 against contenders with 3 at home
    Contenders: WPG, @ CGY, CGY, SSK, @ SSK
    Hamilton: home, away
    Non-threats: @ OTT, BC

Saskatchewan (6-3): 7 of 10 against contenders
    Contenders: WPG, @ WPG, MTL, WPG, @ CGY, @ EDM, EDM
    Hamilton:
    Non-threats: OTT, @ TOR, @ BC

Calgary (5-4): 6 of 9 against contenders
    Contenders: EDM, @ EDM, @ MTL, SSK, WPG, @ WPG
    Hamilton: Home
    Non-threats: @ TOR, @ BC

My rationale is that Montreal, with Adams at QB, has looked awfully good against good teams. If he gets hurt again or goes cold, they drop into the middle tier or lower. I don't know what to make of Hamilton yet with no Masoli - I don't think they're terrible and they certainly won't drop too many games to East teams, but I'm not sure they're at the contender level still. I'm not 100% on Sask yet either, but they just won at MTL, so I'll include them in the top tier for now.

Anyways, overall, it's looking pretty good from our end comparatively. Lots of things can change, but the stretch run is kinder to us. If we can win all of our season series (save Calgary as long as we beat them at least once), we'll be in really good shape, I think.
    Thanks for this, the only argument I would have is that Hamilton at 7-2 team is a contender. They have a killer D and Evans has proven capable.
    #PizStrong

vCash

vCash

Thanks for this, the only argument I would have is that Hamilton at 7-2 team is a contender. They have a killer D and Evans has proven capable.
    Yeah, their only losses were a trap game on the road vs. Montreal after pounding them the week before, and on the road in Saskatchewan where it was Evans' first game as a starter after Masoli was hurt. Granted, Evans' two wins were against what is being considered non-contenders (Ott, BC), but he was also able to finish off with a win against the first place Bombers in relief after Masoli was hurt early in the game.

They could quite possibly lose their road games against Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg (what a dreadful three game road trip to put an eastern team through), but they are looking solid to win 12+ games this year. Which in the East is very much a contender.

I'd also contend that Ottawa is still at least a partial threat. They have beaten Calgary and Saskatchewan and only lost to Calgary the second time by a bad coaching call and had a chance to beat Edmonton on their last play of the game.

They also split the first two games against Montreal. Ottawa's issue is just that they are inconsistent, but they have the ability to beat almost anyone in any individual game (kind of like Montreal).
    Last edited by bone; 08-20-2019 at 10:23 AM.