Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I really thought the would shop Bethel Thompson. I guess that means they aren't sure about Franklin and want to keep MBT around... or they're completely sure about Bridge's inability and want to keep MBT around.
    IIRC, Franklin is in the last year of his contract. After last off-season, one cannot get too complacent about assuming that he'll be back in double Blue beyond the shadow of a doubt, so they have to plan for the now and also the next few years.

I've been banging the drum that teams look for different things in the backups depending on their philosophy, their cap situation, who their starter is, etc. To me, if the rumour is true, it says more about their confidence on O'Connor than it does about what they think about MBT. With the CBA change, I believe that they were hoping for a rising value in the market for Cdn QBs, and are now putting to the test whether it is there. With Bridge having the experience and athleticism, I expect that there would be some interest, but if his contract is somewhere higher than a normal number two, it could be tough to get an asset in return at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    That is funny stuff. Seriously, it probably speaks to Reilly’s comfort with him as a set of eyes on the sideline. It was often said he was good at knowing systems and breaking things down.
    I think you're 100% correct - more than anything else, this speaks to what Mike thinks of him as a teammate. I'm not saying that there isn't a time and a place for the rubber to meet the road on being able to physically execute things, but there are other measures of people/players that have a high degree of influence in decisions.

With a raw QB coach in Drew Tate, and an offence that's new for Reilly, the signing of O'Brien makes a lot of sense to me.

vCash

Well....Ricky Lloyd has a concussion so itís Mike & then nothing (based on 1st pre-season game vs Edm). Even if Lloyd was healthy, though I think he has potential, heís still really inexperienced, so it is also helpful for his growth to have a more experienced QB alongside that isnít the starter.

Note: I have never been an OíBrien detractor, and am super excited for the choreography which may now occur

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Well....Ricky Lloyd has a concussion so it’s Mike & then nothing (based on 1st pre-season game vs Edm). Even if Lloyd was healthy, though I think he has potential, he’s still really inexperienced, so it is also helpful for his growth to have a more experienced QB alongside that isn’t the starter.

Note: I have never been an O’Brien detractor, and am super excited for the choreography which may now occur
    Ricky stepping into the #3 role this year would be progress, after being behind Lulay/Jennings/Fajardo when they were healthy last year. I would expect that O'Brien would be beneficial for Ricky's development too... both as a backup QB in the league, but also in developing for a possible bigger role down the line.

With Danny's dancing and Mike's singing, it's going to be an extravaganza!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Argos are shopping Brandon Bridge....thoughts?
    The guy can't even complete a screen pass he's a school yard qb run around hope someone gets open and throw is down field works out once in a while......not too interested
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    The guy can't even complete a screen pass he's a school yard qb run around hope someone gets open and throw is down field works out once in a while......not too interested
    The only success he had was when he had the no-holds-called outstanding Rider O-Line in front of him.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I really thought the would shop Bethel Thompson. I guess that means they aren't sure about Franklin and want to keep MBT around... or they're completely sure about Bridge's inability and want to keep MBT around.
    Yeah, even i am sure of Bridge's inability, and im just an armchair GM lol... With their other Canadian QB O'Connor on roster, makes tons of sense.

IMO, even vernon adams seems better than bridge

vCash

Man is the Stamps/Lions game hard to watch with both teams wearing their darks! I’m surprised the league allowed them to wear such similar uniforms in a game!

vCash

Who wants to bet that now all those late hits, low hits, head shots etc on Reilly will be called all the fooking time now that Reilly is out of Edmonton ? Already one questionable headshot called tonight -where I'd bet if this was edmonton it wouldn't be...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Man is the Stamps/Lions game hard to watch with both teams wearing their darks! I’m surprised the league allowed them to wear such similar uniforms in a game!
    BC's are fugly really fuuuuuugly

vCash
    Blog Entries

^Definitely agree re: the headshots.

Also, the fact that the command centre can call headshots now... How many times will we see that abused in the name of "game management"?
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    The only success he had was when he had the no-holds-called outstanding Rider O-Line in front of him.
    yeah and it was sandlot football run around and hope someone gets uncovered. I'm all for supporting Canadian QBs but I'd rather roll the dice on what we have now
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Each team has only one set of uni's with enough numbers for the pre-season, IIRC.

There are five players in this game wearing number 71
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Lions win in a thriller. Reilly generates two TD drives, and one of the TD's went to John White.

Regardless of what happens with the Esks this year...I think we're never going to fully realize how much we took Mike (and Ed) for granted.

That June 22nd game is going to be hard.

vCash

Lions win in a thriller. Reilly generates two TD drives, and one of the TD's went to John White.

Regardless of what happens with the Esks this year...I think we're never going to fully realize how much we took Mike (and Ed) for granted.

Mike doing Mike things. Pre-season or not, it’s still Mike.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

The Montreal organization is such a cluster****. I can’t imagine trying to be a fan of theirs right now (oh wait, now that I think of it, it’s a lot like being an Oilers fan).
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

I guess with the new football ops cap, Khari Jones will probably have to stay as both head coach and OC for the whole season... unless of course Kavis wants to take on double duty

vCash
    Blog Entries

...Kavis, Kavis, Kavis...

This is a new level of bizarre, even for him.

Unless it was sexual misconduct or some other kind of serious misdemeanor, there is no reason to fire a head coach one week before the season opener. None.

vCash

...Kavis, Kavis, Kavis...

This is a new level of bizarre, even for him.

Unless it was sexual misconduct or some other kind of serious misdemeanor, there is no reason to fire a head coach one week before the season opener. None.
    From what I know this is for the greater good of the team..

I’m met mike and when I met him he was a dinosaur...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 06-08-2019 at 10:16 AM.

vCash

As a fan of the CFL, you have to be very concerned with what is going on in Montreal. To think they were a model franchise for the league 10 years ago.

To have this happen after doing a full rebrand to try and win back some interest is gutting.

I am however salivating at what Lolley will have in store for them on Friday.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    As a fan of the CFL, you have to be very concerned with what is going on in Montreal. To think they were a model franchise for the league 10 years ago.

To have this happen after doing a full rebrand to try and win back some interest is gutting.

I am however salivating at what Lolley will have in store for them on Friday.
    Then let's have a positive thought for Montreal to beat Saskatchewan twice this year, beat Calgary twice, BC twice and Winnipeg twice. See how nice that is of us to hope for their success?

- - - Updated - - -

Even harder considering the game is on the 21st? =P
    Sorry not being a smart ass just wanted to make sure you knew in case you were taking the night off work to go or something
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

I don’t think much will be for the greater good of the team until they replace Kavis.

vCash

I don’t think much will be for the greater good of the team until they replace Kavis.
    This has to be kavis’ last throw of the dice... and I have a ton of time or kavis.. the man loved the eskimos..

But his head is firmly on the block now

vCash

Well Kavis has been even worse than I thought he would be when I heard he got hired and that is saying something. The disaster is total cringe worthy.

vCash
    Blog Entries

According to 3DN, the Blue Bombers cut QB Bryan Bennett.

If I'm Brock, I'm all over that... Get Briscoe on the PR and have Bennett and Kilgore as a 2 + 3 option.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Well Kavis has been even worse than I thought he would be when I heard he got hired and that is saying something. The disaster is total cringe worthy.
    I’m betting that more (cringing) will probably come to light in the next few weeks/months now that the league is overseeing things there.

vCash

According to 3DN, the Blue Bombers cut QB Bryan Bennett.

If I'm Brock, I'm all over that... Get Briscoe on the PR and have Bennett and Kilgore as a 2 + 3 option.
    hmmm.... I'm liking Briscoe/Williams as our 3/4; Bennett looked good in pre-season, but I'm thinking there has to be a reason why the Bombers are keeping Sean McGuire ahead of him. Maybe some of the Bomber fans who hang out here can offer some local perspective?
    Bombers only have six listed on their PR (no QB's). I'm guessing Bennett wants to see if anyone picks him up before he agrees to a PR position. My guess anyway. I have a feeling he will stay a Bomber.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Ricky stepping into the #3 role this year would be progress, after being behind Lulay/Jennings/Fajardo when they were healthy last year. I would expect that O'Brien would be beneficial for Ricky's development too... both as a backup QB in the league, but also in developing for a possible bigger role down the line.

With Danny's dancing and Mike's singing, it's going to be an extravaganza!!
    ....and now there’s Kraemer! He showed really well last night, especially considering he was only signed part way thru training camp. The way he kept his composure on that game-winning drive....(which I will admit I only saw after the fact because last night was ALL about the Raptors )

vCash

The most surprising cut I have seen so far today was Grif Whalen out of Cgy. Looked good in pre-season, NFL pedigree and seemed to be well thought of by coaches and media.

For the Mtl thing, I don't know anything about how deep the rot goes, but it seems like there aren't many in the organization that are mourning the departure of Sherman. While it isn't the only step that has to be taken, and it is way later than it seems like it should have been done, those don't nullify that it seems to be the right move.

Saw it highlighted that last year saw 3 of the 4 eastern teams headed by ex-NFL coaches. All of them gone now. With all due respect to Trestman and Jones, both of whom have shown some CFL chops, the moves to Chamblin, Steinauer and Jones are ones that model closer to what the western teams have done. When we see a continued difference between the caliber of East and West, could that direction have anything to do with it? Even if it is more of a symptom of orgs chasing the perceived need for NFL validation in their hires.

Not claiming that Mtl isn't a hot mess, but it sounds like they realized they were on the wrong path and made a move to course correct - again, not that they've done enough at this point.

vCash

....and now there’s Kraemer! He showed really well last night, especially considering he was only signed part way thru training camp. The way he kept his composure on that game-winning drive....(which I will admit I only saw after the fact because last night was ALL about the Raptors )
    Kraemer​ reminded me a lot of Kline last night. A rookie coming in with obvious excitement and love of the game and not knowing he wasn't supposed to succeed. Agreed that he was impressive, and beyond that, he sure seemed likable/marketable. Have to think he sticks in some way, and how May depend on Lloyd's health.

I watched the starters in the CFL game, switched to the Raps in the 2nd half, then back to the recorded football after. Yes - I record and watch pre-season football when my team isn't in it. I may have a problem.