Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

Re: Around the CFL - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    that's a nice way of saying he acts like a jackass sometimes =)
    yep he does.
    I have a soft spot for him cause I was a big fan of his dad's during the tecmo super bowl days but no he's not exactly a difference maker.
    Yep exactly

I'm just always hesitant to draw conclusions on the character of people I've never actually met and had a chance to get to know, but from the little bit I HAVE seen of the guy, my read is that he may be a bit of a jackass lol.

vCash
    Blog Entries

ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    According to Justin Dunk, the Argos are trying to move James Wilder Jr.

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/16/a...mes-wilder-jr/
    A little too much Messam-like in my opinion. Gable is a consummate professional and teammate, so I'd rather stay with what we have.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Wow.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Sounds like he was practicing with the 1st team, then suddenly didn't finish practice and hasn't practiced since. Sounds like he came back a little early and re-injured himself.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Wow. With all of Bo's talk of coming back, this couldn't have been in their plans. Of course, he may not stay on the 6-game the whole time; we may still see him in the double-header.

Not that I'm worried...there's not a big gap between Bo and Arbuckle.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Wow. With all of Bo's talk of coming back, this couldn't have been in their plans. Of course, he may not stay on the 6-game the whole time; we may still see him in the double-header.

I actually feel the same way
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Wow the Lions Oline is bad. Early in the season maybe you can sluff it off as a new line not yet gelled, not used to Reily, etc. But it's week 10 and they haven't improved. Reilly got sacked 6 times, pressured or hit who knows how many other times. He got the ball swatted out of his hand multiple times and but was able to get them back. The one Hecht sack. He didn't disguise it, he was literally standing on the line waiting to go. No one even put a single hand on him and he was allowed to drill Reilly full speed from the blindside. A less tough QB wouldn't have gotten up. The Oline for a lot of when Reilly was in Edmonton wasn't always the greatest but it was never that bad. There is rarely a series where he gets time to do much. There were a lot of times the Bombers only rushed 4, the Lions had the 5 Olineman AND the running back and the Bombers still got pressure. When you out number the defense, they shouldn't be getting pressure on you consistently.
    It's absolutely stunning.

Like you say, early in the season, you could chalk some of it up to a new group having to gel, and there have been a few injury issues along the way, but it's starting to feel like it is a combination of virtually every factor imaginable.

Injuries/Retirement - They were without Figueroa for a few games, and have been without Godber (a high draft pick last year, but hardly a centrepiece likely). The lost Olayfioye to retirement in the off-season, but it kind of felt that they were prepared for it.

Starting of other teams' PR guys - both JS Roy and their RT, Renfrow were not on the active roster of other teams and thrust into duty in BC as starters (I'm pretty sure I'm right on this with Renfrow). I know that other teams are not going to want to trade proven starters on the O-line, but it's tough to make chicken salad out of... well, you know.

Which leads to the talent evaluation question... It would seem that they over-estimated Boyko's readiness to step in as a former high draft pick with some NFL and AAF seasoning (though not much in games). I'm not sure that Chungh has been a flop, but I do think it's fair to suggest that he hasn't been the difference maker they paid for in making him one of the highest paid O-Linemen in the league. In the off-season, I think many would have ranked Figeuroa in the 2nd tier of LTs, just behind SirV, Bryant and Dennis, but I'm not sure that is the case any more... and I would think that my guy, Tommie Draheim has moved up those rankings nicely given the chance to prove himself.

Coaching - I liked Brian Chiu as a player, and I think he's made good strides as a coach, but taking over from a fairly legendary O-Line coach in BC (Dorazio) are some sizeable shoes to fill, and being part of a coaching staff with virtually no continuity or history will exacerbate things. I'm not laying this all on him, but as they continue to move the players around, you've got to start looking at the constants. It has to be a wider look at the coaching in general though - the OC, Jackson, hasn't done a good enough job of scheming to take the pressure off - screens, quick hitters, double-TE sets, rolling out your mobile QB, etc.

Which brings up continuity - as in, they've had virtually none. Foucault was pretty successful at RG last year and is now pushed over to LG this year (and some RT I believe) and has struggled. I understand when you're not going down the right path, you shouldn't necessarily keep putting one foot in front of the other, but I'm not sure that there have been more than a few instances where the lineup and positions have been the same two weeks in a row. TSN has been beating the drum in their narratives in recent weeks that you have to have continuity and chemistry in the secondary and on the o-line, and the Lions have had anything but that on the O-line.

The Reilly factor. There have been some counter arguments that he's not holding the ball any longer than other QBs do (statistically) but it's sure hard to believe. We all know Mike's toughness and willingness to stand in the pocket and take a hit to make a play, but the transition the Esks offence has had this year and the difference that it makes to what we're asking an O-line to do seem to be part of the situation in BC.

As to the play with Hecht's safety blitz last night - I think it was symptomatic of a lot of the above. While it felt like it was from the blind-side, it was actually from Mike's front, but he didn't see him pre-snap, and didn't see him after he received the snap either - a QB needs to make that read. John White was in the backfield on the play, looking to pass-protect, but was on the wrong side of Reilly (and he is a very capable pass-protecting back) - like you say, it wasn't a disguised blitz, and while I love Hecht, he's not the fastest cheetah out there - should have been picked up once the play was underway if not before. Lack of communication, lack of scheme, lack of QB awareness, lack of reaction, lack of execution, and potentially, lack of preparation from a coaching perspective.

vCash

Right now, I'd almost rather he came back for the double-header. This is their last game before the Labour Day Classic, and I'd rather face a rusty, returning to the lineup BLM than a QB who is comfortable out there right now like Arbuckle.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Sounds like he was practicing with the 1st team, then suddenly didn't finish practice and hasn't practiced since. Sounds like he came back a little early and re-injured himself.
    He should have waited for Mr. Miyagi to rub his hands together and fix it!
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It's absolutely stunning.

Like you say, early in the season, you could chalk some of it up to a new group having to gel, and there have been a few injury issues along the way, but it's starting to feel like it is a combination of virtually every factor imaginable.

Injuries/Retirement - They were without Figueroa for a few games, and have been without Godber (a high draft pick last year, but hardly a centrepiece likely). The lost Olayfioye to retirement in the off-season, but it kind of felt that they were prepared for it.

Starting of other teams' PR guys - both JS Roy and their RT, Renfrow were not on the active roster of other teams and thrust into duty in BC as starters (I'm pretty sure I'm right on this with Renfrow). I know that other teams are not going to want to trade proven starters on the O-line, but it's tough to make chicken salad out of... well, you know.

Which leads to the talent evaluation question... It would seem that they over-estimated Boyko's readiness to step in as a former high draft pick with some NFL and AAF seasoning (though not much in games). I'm not sure that Chungh has been a flop, but I do think it's fair to suggest that he hasn't been the difference maker they paid for in making him one of the highest paid O-Linemen in the league. In the off-season, I think many would have ranked Figeuroa in the 2nd tier of LTs, just behind SirV, Bryant and Dennis, but I'm not sure that is the case any more... and I would think that my guy, Tommie Draheim has moved up those rankings nicely given the chance to prove himself.

Coaching - I liked Brian Chiu as a player, and I think he's made good strides as a coach, but taking over from a fairly legendary O-Line coach in BC (Dorazio) are some sizeable shoes to fill, and being part of a coaching staff with virtually no continuity or history will exacerbate things. I'm not laying this all on him, but as they continue to move the players around, you've got to start looking at the constants. It has to be a wider look at the coaching in general though - the OC, Jackson, hasn't done a good enough job of scheming to take the pressure off - screens, quick hitters, double-TE sets, rolling out your mobile QB, etc.

Which brings up continuity - as in, they've had virtually none. Foucault was pretty successful at RG last year and is now pushed over to LG this year (and some RT I believe) and has struggled. I understand when you're not going down the right path, you shouldn't necessarily keep putting one foot in front of the other, but I'm not sure that there have been more than a few instances where the lineup and positions have been the same two weeks in a row. TSN has been beating the drum in their narratives in recent weeks that you have to have continuity and chemistry in the secondary and on the o-line, and the Lions have had anything but that on the O-line.

The Reilly factor. There have been some counter arguments that he's not holding the ball any longer than other QBs do (statistically) but it's sure hard to believe. We all know Mike's toughness and willingness to stand in the pocket and take a hit to make a play, but the transition the Esks offence has had this year and the difference that it makes to what we're asking an O-line to do seem to be part of the situation in BC.

As to the play with Hecht's safety blitz last night - I think it was symptomatic of a lot of the above. While it felt like it was from the blind-side, it was actually from Mike's front, but he didn't see him pre-snap, and didn't see him after he received the snap either - a QB needs to make that read. John White was in the backfield on the play, looking to pass-protect, but was on the wrong side of Reilly (and he is a very capable pass-protecting back) - like you say, it wasn't a disguised blitz, and while I love Hecht, he's not the fastest cheetah out there - should have been picked up once the play was underway if not before. Lack of communication, lack of scheme, lack of QB awareness, lack of reaction, lack of execution, and potentially, lack of preparation from a coaching perspective.
    Their Oline issues have been an absolute shock to me as I had 100% faith in Ed's ability to build a team, starting on both lines.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Wow the Lions Oline is bad. Early in the season maybe you can sluff it off as a new line not yet gelled, not used to Reily, etc. But it's week 10 and they haven't improved. Reilly got sacked 6 times, pressured or hit who knows how many other times. He got the ball swatted out of his hand multiple times and but was able to get them back. The one Hecht sack. He didn't disguise it, he was literally standing on the line waiting to go. No one even put a single hand on him and he was allowed to drill Reilly full speed from the blindside. A less tough QB wouldn't have gotten up. The Oline for a lot of when Reilly was in Edmonton wasn't always the greatest but it was never that bad. There is rarely a series where he gets time to do much. There were a lot of times the Bombers only rushed 4, the Lions had the 5 Olineman AND the running back and the Bombers still got pressure. When you out number the defense, they shouldn't be getting pressure on you consistently.
    I think Reilly needs to wear some of this as well as I would suggest the Oline we are throwing out there the last few weeks is worse, at least on paper, than what we had the years prior.

Draheim/Ruby/Beard/Bond/ Kelly is who we are rolling with right now, which is not as good as we finished 2018 with as Matt O'Donnell was playing in front of Ruby.
    #PizStrong

Can't remember how many sacks the Esks had given up after eight games last year but I know it was significantly more than 3. This with the same coaches, same system, same OL personnel, same RB etc, only major change being at QB....

And certain people on here went on endlessly last year about how bad our OL was.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 08-16-2019 at 03:11 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Can't remember how many sacks the Esks had given up after eight games last year but I know it was significantly more than 3. This with the same coaches, same system, same OL personnel, same RB etc, only major change being at QB....

And certain people on here went on endlessly last year about how bad this our OL was.
    We had given up 11 sacks after 8 games last year.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Montreal will start Vernon Adams Jr. at QB this week. Running back Will Stanback is out and will not play according to cfl.ca

vCash

And certain people on here went on endlessly last year about how bad this our OL was.
    On the surface, QB is the main change.

Peel it back a little bit, and you've got a healthy Tommie Draheim, rather than MOD playing out of position. You've got Jacob Ruby progressing in his development to the point where he's made Bond a bit more of an insurance policy, allowing us to take advantage of his versatility. You've got that much more progression and experience in David Beard growing into his role as a starter after taking over from Sorenson during the season last year. I think most would suggest that Colin Kelly has had much improved play this year too... whether it is progression or what is being asked of him or a combination of factors.

I also think that there has been more evolution in Maas' offence and that continued continuity with this group under Gibby that has allowed for better communication and intuition for handling switches and recognizing what teams are bringing at them.

There is also the factor of having a technician like SirV around the team, essentially being somewhat of another coach, similar to Sherritt in the year he ruptured his Achilles.

I think the QB change, and the way the offence is executed as a result, is the biggest of the factors, but I do believe that there is a lot more that is contributing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Their Oline issues have been an absolute shock to me as I had 100% faith in Ed's ability to build a team, starting on both lines.
    I haven't seen enough of BC to know...but I wonder how much of the sack problem has to do with the receiving corps, or with Mike himself. He just seems to hang on to the ball for so long. Many of them seem like coverage sacks.

On the surface, QB is the main change.

Peel it back a little bit, and you've got a healthy Tommie Draheim, rather than MOD playing out of position. You've got Jacob Ruby progressing in his development to the point where he's made Bond a bit more of an insurance policy, allowing us to take advantage of his versatility. You've got that much more progression and experience in David Beard growing into his role as a starter after taking over from Sorenson during the season last year. I think most would suggest that Colin Kelly has had much improved play this year too... whether it is progression or what is being asked of him or a combination of factors.

I also think that there has been more evolution in Maas' offence and that continued continuity with this group under Gibby that has allowed for better communication and intuition for handling switches and recognizing what teams are bringing at them.

There is also the factor of having a technician like SirV around the team, essentially being somewhat of another coach, similar to Sherritt in the year he ruptured his Achilles.

I think the QB change, and the way the offence is executed as a result, is the biggest of the factors, but I do believe that there is a lot more that is contributing.
    I agree, and I think it's a perfect illustration of why knee jerk fans who want just want to say "this guys sucks, or that group sucks" are often oversimplifying to an almost unforgivable degree by totally dismissing all the other factors that go into the final product that we see on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen enough of BC to know...but I wonder how much of the sack problem has to do with the receiving corps, or with Mike himself. He just seems to hang on to the ball for so long. Many of them seem like coverage sacks.
    It's hard to say but on paper BC's receiving core doesn't look all that bad.

vCash

They are the only team that I am aware of that only plays 2 American receivers. And Carter hasn’t provided nearly enough production in 1 of those spots.

vCash

It's hard to say but on paper BC's receiving core doesn't look all that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    They are the only team that I am aware of that only plays 2 American receivers. And Carter hasn’t provided nearly enough production in 1 of those spots.
    I think it's a big part of the problem.

I don't believe that Carter scares teams as a deep threat right now, and hasn't given teams reason to respect him as a threat that they have to gameplan for. Burnham is, imo, an elite receiver in this league, but not your over the middle possession guy or someone you're hitting with quick routes hoping for YAC.

Durant has exceeded all expectations I had for him and has been a good addition, but I see him a bit more as a consistent threat rather than a gamebreaker. Johnson has been fine, and Cottoy, for whatever promise he shows, is probably more like Tevaun Smith in that he's capable of being out there, but isn't likely to take on a big role yet. I think they need a legitimate 3rd option that teams have to plan for (behind Burnham and Durant), and without that, I don't believe that defences are having enough to have to scheme for.

vCash

This could make things real interesting for next week, although their offence is less about him and more about Andrew Harris IMO

#PizStrong

vCash

BC is in a world of hurt...

1. The front 7 is the weakest in the CFL. Can’t get any sustained pressure and the LB core is well below average.
    2. REC group is weakest is league. Outside of Burnham who I have a ton of respect for, they have nothing in the way that scares the opposition. Other high profile WR Carter is a over-rated, lazy player who brings more issues to a team then benefits.
    3. OL is a joke. As mentioned signing or trading for other teams practice players to be starters is a recipe for disaster.
    4. Claybrooks looks over his head. Yes a rookie head coach, but the group of coaches have been assembled in B.C. may be weakest in CFL.
    5. Hervey’s absolute desire to stick it to his old team has caused some bad business decisions. One of many examples is signing LB Konar to I assume a decent salary to be a third string special teamer. He also decided to not resign Lemon in off season to only trade for him later in season is another head scratcher...

Maybe BS knew he had no shot of resigning Reilly and publicly said that he would match any offer from another team in order to drive up his salary... Hervey May have got played.

My 3 cents...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    When you look at it though what has changed?

Last year's OL was Figueroa, Steward, Husband, Foucault and Olafioye. Of those Husband and Olafioye were the initial subtractions requiring replacement and as far as that went they already had to deal with life without Husband for the second half of 2018. Godber was the initial replacement but was lost for the season a few games later and remains out. Pierson finished off the season. What I did find out later was that for either Pierson or Godber or both Hunter Steward had been calling the blocking assignments from his LG spot. My gut feel is that they intended to go with Godber this year but that plan got scuttled when he still hadn't recovered from last year's injury. This year it has been a turnstile at C. First Pierson, then Steward, then Roy, then back to Pierson and now Norman.

Chungh was signed in what would be considered an upgrade over Foucault. The fact Hervey spent $250K/year on him dispels any accusations of Hervey not spending money on the OL.

It leaves the main change on OL being at RT and they initially opted to slide Foucault over there. It's also been a fevolving door there with Foucault, Boyko and now Renfrow getting starts.

On the DL they came to camp with 3 of the 4 incumbents returning. Last year the DL was fairly ineffective until Lemon arrived and Louis was promoted from the PR. I think they led the league in sacks over the final 2/3 of the season. Willis' numbers early last year were contradicting. Stats wise he looked solid but in terms of effectiveness he was anything but. I thought he was virtually invisible just like he has been this year. It was like every 60 or so plays he'd finally do something that had you reaching for the program to see who this #11 was. Oh yeah. Odell. I forgot we had him. Question is how does a DL go from fairly effective at pressuring QBs to invisible in one off season with only 1 departure? One can only surmise coaching is a factor. Is the combination of Stubler's scheme which every OC now knows as well as their own scheme and a new DLC a factor?

vCash

One of the things that has started to raise concerns for me about Reilly is that he seems so indecisive or slow to make a decision. He seems so hell bent to make a play that he flatly refuses to pull an AC and toss the ball into the 3rd row when nothing is there. He's been known to win games with his legs but seems unwilling to tuck the ball in and run until it's too late. On some of the sacks last night he also seemed oblivious to the oncoming rush like he was totally zoned in on his first read and waiting to see if it developed. It's like he's not even recognizing the potential danger when making his pre-snap reads.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    One of the things that has started to raise concerns for me about Reilly is that he seems so indecisive or slow to make a decision. He seems so hell bent to make a play that he flatly refuses to pull an AC and toss the ball into the 3rd row when nothing is there. He's been known to win games with his legs but seems unwilling to tuck the ball in and run until it's too late. On some of the sacks last night he also seemed oblivious to the oncoming rush like he was totally zoned in on his first read and waiting to see if it developed. It's like he's not even recognizing the potential danger when making his pre-snap reads.
    And even when he's clearly hurt, or when the game is out of reach, he insists on absolutely staying in - even if he's not being effective as a QB. (As per his interview on TSN several weeks ago.)

Toughness is one thing, but stubbornness is another...and at the risk of getting flamed, I think Mike's refusal to sit may be more selfish than it is heroic, especially in light of his play this season.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Nice analysis hammer. Reilly plays a factor in your oline issues for sure, as we can attest in EE land. Like someone else pointed out it's likely a combination of a bunch of things that has them scrambling to keep Reilly upright.
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    BC is in a world of hurt...

1. The front 7 is the weakest in the CFL. Can’t get any sustained pressure and the LB core is well below average.
    2. REC group is weakest is league. Outside of Burnham who I have a ton of respect for, they have nothing in the way that scares the opposition. Other high profile WR Carter is a over-rated, lazy player who brings more issues to a team then benefits.
    3. OL is a joke. As mentioned signing or trading for other teams practice players to be starters is a recipe for disaster.
    4. Claybrooks looks over his head. Yes a rookie head coach, but the group of coaches have been assembled in B.C. may be weakest in CFL.
    5. Hervey’s absolute desire to stick it to his old team has caused some bad business decisions. One of many examples is signing LB Konar to I assume a decent salary to be a third string special teamer. He also decided to not resign Lemon in off season to only trade for him later in season is another head scratcher...

Maybe BS knew he had no shot of resigning Reilly and publicly said that he would match any offer from another team in order to drive up his salary... Hervey May have got played.

My 3 cents...
    I know Brock said publicly that he'd match any offer, but I'm actually also starting to wonder if he decided behind closed doors that 725K was a no go...
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 08-16-2019 at 11:31 PM.

vCash

I know Brock said publicly that he'd match any offer, but I'm actually also starting to wonder if he decided behind closed doors that 725K was a no go...
    I'm guessing that his upper end on Reilly was in inverse proportion to his estimation of his chances to get Harris.

vCash

3 down nation is reporting that the Bombers reached out to Glenn to return from retirement but he declined. Certainly suggests they are expecting to be without Nichols for a great length of time.

As long as Streveler doesn’t turnover the ball and they utilize Harris a lot, i honestly don’t expect much drop off.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    3 down nation is reporting that the Bombers reached out to Glenn to return from retirement but he declined. Certainly suggests they are expecting to be without Nichols for a great length of time.

As long as Streveler doesn’t turnover the ball and they utilize Harris a lot, i honestly don’t expect much drop off.
    Someone in Toronto may be squeezed out with both Franklin & Collaros due back soon. I know the Argos tried to extend James through 2020 back in January, but he passed on the offer. With his contract due to expire at the end of the season, I could see them moving him for a draft pick. Question is, does his body of work fit into a Bomber offense?