Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2019

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2019

Jennings has fallen off the map.

vCash

I have a sneaking suspicion that OTT QB Dominique Davis will have a break out year.....

Agree on Jennings.... signs with OTT I’m sure thinking he would win the QB battle and cones up short. With Ottawa declaiming starting QB with training camp only half done...

Full disclosure I was in the camp that the Esks should look at Jennings in FA as I thought he would be a good replacement for Reilly. Never thought Harris was going to leave Ott....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Jennings has fallen off the map.
    I'd still take him as a backup here.

vCash

I still think that with the right coaching/situation Jennings could be a good starter in this league. No denying Davis' talent, but he did have a year up on the system in Ottawa. Davis looked good in that game against Hamilton. He seemed very confident and in command.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    I'd still take him as a backup here.
    absolutely.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Love love LOVE this!!! So important to have role models that you can relate to!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I see no reason whatsoever why there should not be women officials.
    Whatever increases the available pool of talent in the field, I say bring it on. Best of luck to any women wanting to get into officiating.

vCash

I still think that with the right coaching/situation Jennings could be a good starter in this league. No denying Davis' talent, but he did have a year up on the system in Ottawa. Davis looked good in that game against Hamilton. He seemed very confident and in command.
    Agree with you. He needs a QB whisperer that can get him out of his head. He definitely has the physical skills - and at one point had the right instincts.

I think Jarious as OC last season probably set him back. From what I gather, Jarious is not overly patient, and it seemed to me like Jennings was playing as though trying not to make a mistake. You could see him over-thinking it as the play progressed. That, combined with a complicated offense, is a recipe for disaster.

However, the one game last year where he seemed to shed that was the come from behind OT victory vs Hamilton. It was so obvious that he was feeling it & he looked more like the pre-injury Jennings. Thatís why I think itís still in there somewhere; he just needs the right coach to draw it out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Whatever increases the available pool of talent in the field, I say bring it on. Best of luck to any women wanting to get into officiating.
    Funny story.... a few years ago I met with the Edm football officials people because I was wondering about becoming an official. They were so nice & were excited because they really want to “expand their borders” so to speak. I was aiming for line judge. Didn’t know they train you for all - which means lots of running & training sessions that involve running. So that was the end of that. Even with all my crazy working out, there’s no running involved!
    #whyrunifyoucanwalk

vCash

Is he done now?

vCash

Is he done now?
    I was just thinking that with Parker out for the season, do they Esks kick the tires. I'm assuming that the Esks are going with 2 Canadian receivers to allow an extra american on the O line, so for the right price, do you grab Chambers as a replacement for Parker?
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    I was just thinking that with Parker out for the season, do they Esks kick the tires. I'm assuming that the Esks are going with 2 Canadian receivers to allow an extra american on the O line, so for the right price, do you grab Chambers as a replacement for Parker?
    It would have to be the right price. Like real cheap.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Someone will pick him up...he's been productive enough IMO...injury issues would be the only question.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

BC just released 13 players
    I can't get the image to save from twitter but if you care enough you can check it out
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    I also see that the ticats have released LT Avery Jordan from last season...any thoughts on him and if he might be a fit for us with SirV hurt?

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/04/b...milton-ticats/
    Last edited by adb; 06-04-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I can't get the image to save from twitter but if you care enough you can check it out

vCash
    Blog Entries

EDIT: AAARRRRRRGGGH, Hugo beat me to it.

Former Esks' camp cut Shaq Hill among the releases this time around. Allegedly had injury issues according to TC observations at Lionbackers.com.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I think we should sign Lakalaka...just cause that name is fun to say
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Lee Bennett surprised me a little bit. With the changes in the LB corps (Elimimian, Foster, Awe and Davis all moved on), being a holdover from last year, I expected that he would be more central to their plans.

Shaq Hill was the EWU receiver that we had brought to camp last year - a former teammate of Cooper Kupp. Have wanted him to succeed, as I have a soft spot for the Eags with so many CFL connections through there (Nichols, Sherritt, Peach, Bo-Levi, Ryan Phillips, etc).

Shaun Wick was the guy stretchered from the bench in Edmonton (concussion I believe). Still feels wrong to release rookies that get hurt in camp, but I know that everyone does it and its the business.

Keiler Cherry is the kid from Lloydminster that was a fairly well-regarded prospect in 2017 (I believe) but sustained an injury. There were some speculating that he could be a steal if he could recapture his form.

With rosters being still relatively full, it's hard to imagine that, unless there's a specific need or natural fit (ie Chambers for Parker) that any teams would be quick to jump on guys that are among the first cuts on other teams.

vCash

I think we should sign Lakalaka...just cause that name is fun to say
    Only if his first name is boomshaka

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Only if his first name is boomshaka
    Reminds me NBA Jam
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post

EDIT: AAARRRRRRGGGH, Hugo beat me to it.

Former Esks' camp cut Shaq Hill among the releases this time around. Allegedly had injury issues according to TC observations at Lionbackers.com.
    "Issues" might be an understatement. Achilles apparently and has already undergone surgery. Done for the year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    "Issues" might be an understatement. Achilles apparently and has already undergone surgery. Done for the year.
    Thanks for the info hammer
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Our infamous injury bug must've followed him out west.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Lee Bennett surprised me a little bit. With the changes in the LB corps (Elimimian, Foster, Awe and Davis all moved on), being a holdover from last year, I expected that he would be more central to their plans.

Shaq Hill was the EWU receiver that we had brought to camp last year - a former teammate of Cooper Kupp. Have wanted him to succeed, as I have a soft spot for the Eags with so many CFL connections through there (Nichols, Sherritt, Peach, Bo-Levi, Ryan Phillips, etc).

Shaun Wick was the guy stretchered from the bench in Edmonton (concussion I believe). Still feels wrong to release rookies that get hurt in camp, but I know that everyone does it and its the business.

Keiler Cherry is the kid from Lloydminster that was a fairly well-regarded prospect in 2017 (I believe) but sustained an injury. There were some speculating that he could be a steal if he could recapture his form.

With rosters being still relatively full, it's hard to imagine that, unless there's a specific need or natural fit (ie Chambers for Parker) that any teams would be quick to jump on guys that are among the first cuts on other teams.
    Bennett was one of those expanded PR roster additions last year. They signed him in mid-September. Guys like that are typically brought in mostly to see if they are worthy of being brought back to compete at training camp the following year. However he did suit up for 1 game in mid-October recording a special teams tackle.

As mentioned Hill is gone for the season. I was looking at the camp roster handout on the weekend. At that time BC had 6 EWU grads listed on the roster as well as new DB Coach Ryan Phillips. Torey Hunter also coached there for a couple of years. They are now down to 4. The players were OL Cassidy Curtis and DBs TJ Lee, D-Londo Tucker and Victor Gamboa along with yesterday's cuts Shaq Hill and Albert Havili. BC does benefit from Vancouver being in close proximity to Washington state as it becomes an attractive option for guys who either grew up there or played collegiately there.

It may feel wrong to release rookies that get hurt into camp but where does the line get drawn. Keeping them to put them on the 6G could entail paying them full salary even if odds are high they would've been cut anyways. I assume teams will still be on the hook for the medical coverages and treatment, just not the salary. Wick is one who was going to be in tough to stick. At best I would have given him only a 50/50 shot at a PR spot.

vCash

Anthony Coombs released from T.O. Not sure there’s a spot for him here, but he’ll make some team better.

vCash

Anthony Coombs released from T.O. Not sure thereís a spot for him here, but heíll make some team better.
    We had a spot open with Parkerís injury and Coombs is the right passport to make up for that loss...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    We had a spot open with Parker’s injury and Coombs is the right passport to make up for that loss...
    The only potential problem I can see is that Coombs has injury woes of his own. He played 10 games in 2017 and only 2 all of last year; his rookie season was also cut short by injury.

vCash

Anthony Coombs released from T.O. Not sure there’s a spot for him here, but he’ll make some team better.
    Bring him in! Perfect for us!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    The only potential problem I can see is that Coombs has injury woes of his own. He played 10 games in 2017 and only 2 all of last year; his rookie season was also cut short by injury.
    This is the question mark..

But if he’s fit.. we should be looking at him right now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    We had a spot open with Parker’s injury and Coombs is the right passport to make up for that loss...

Correct and not just a passport.. he can effect a game.. good player if he is fit

vCash

- - - Updated - - -
    Good for Davis. A guy who Winnipeg deemed not good enough to be a backup for Matt Nichols...
    Davis played ok in relief duty last year, by all reports had a good camp, and certainly looked capable in the pre-season game. Ottawa treated him as the incumbent for the role, and he has done nothing to lose the job. We will see how he manages the regular season.
    None of that should reflect on Jennings too much. Davis didn't surrender the starter role to him, but Jennings also looked good in pre-season. With an opportunity he may yet takeover as starter later this season.

vCash

I'd much rather see the Esks take a flyer on Coombs more than Chambers.