Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Predict the standings thread

vCash

Games 2019 Predict the standings thread

Alright, training camp cutdowns have happened, and in four days it's time for the season to begin. Time to show what you think is going to happen this year. Who's going to win each division? The Grey Cup? If we're hopelessly wrong by the end of the season, I promise not to make a big deal of it...much.

My predictions:

West

1. Calgary (12-6) - They've lost some players, but continuity where it counts and they just seem to be able to make all-stars out of thin air.
    2. Winnipeg (12-6) - They'll start strong (also with continuity), but won't quite knock Calgary off their perch. Nichols looks good most of the season but some wobbles.
    3. Saskatchewan (10-8) - A team that needs to find its identity with Jones gone. Doesn't quite have the horses to pull it off, but better than people seem to give them credit.
    4. Edmonton (10-8) - Biggest transition in the western division. They do have the players to succeed, but will start slow. Possible playoff contender, if they make it.
    5. BC (10-8) - A lot of transition, could be strong, but that's true of every team in the west this year. Mike wasn't able to pull us out of trouble last year; he's the best player in the league but still needs a supporting cast.

East

1. Hamilton (9-9) - Best of a weakened division. Stability will give them enough of an edge early to take the division.
    2. Ottawa (7-11) - Who will they be this year? No one knows. Certainly not who they were last year.
    3. Toronto (6-12) - Pulling together will require some stability and identity. Might start slow, and win a few near the end if some players assert themselves.
    4. Montreal (5-13) - Might start slow, might end slow. Not as bad as people think, but not as good as anyone else. Man, I hope the franchise survives.

I'll pick Calgary over Hamilton in the Grey Cup. Not what I want, but the most likely IMHO.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2019 Predict the standings thread

West

1. Calgary - The Stamps finding all-stars is like the Oilers losing hockey games. Against all odds, they'll always make it happen.

2. Winnipeg - Nichols starts to struggle after early success, and Streveler will take over as starter a la James Franklin from 2015.

3. Edmonton - The lack of star-power on offense is counterbalanced by a wholly revamped defense. Harris hits his stride under Maas, and while not as flashy as Reilly, he gets the job done. Successful tie-breakers with B.C. and Sask allows the Esks to grab the 3rd place spot.

4. B.C. - Mike starts off very strong, but like last year, the offense isn't quite the juggernaut that everyone assumes it will be.

5. Saskatchewan - A mediocre Collaros gets injured, paving the way for Isaac Harker to come in half-way through the season. The Riders miss out on virtue of lost tie-breakers with Edmonton and B.C., but there's hope for the future.

East

1. Hamilton - No Manziel, a confident Masoli, and the leadership of Steinauer add up to a solid bounce-back year for the Ti-Cats.

2. Ottawa - Dom Davis surprises. In spite of some rough patches, it's good enough to boost the Redblacks to a 2nd place finish and a home playoff game.

3. Toronto - Franklin finally gets his footing under a new coach; there's still plenty of issues, but it's tracking in the right direction again.

4. Halifax Franchise - They haven't even been inaugurated yet, but their nonexistence makes them better than Montreal.

5. Montreal - If the Oilers are gonna Oiler, the Als are gonna Al...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Cal
    Edm
    Win
    BC
    Sask

Ham
    TOR
    Ott
    Mont

vCash

West
    1. Edm
    2. Calgary
    3. BC
    4. Wpg
    5. Sask

East
    1. Hamilton
    2. Toronto
    3. Ottawa
    4. Montréal

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    West
    1. Edm
    2. Calgary
    3. BC
    4. Wpg
    5. Sask

East
    1. Hamilton
    2. Toronto
    3. Ottawa
    4. Montréal
    western standings.....good weed.

- - - Updated - - -

wpg cal edm bc sask

ham...ott...tor...raptors...piz...als
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Calgary
    BC
    Winnipeg
    Edmonton
    Sask

Ham
    Tor
    Mtl
    Ott
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    western standings.....good weed.

- - - Updated - - -

wpg cal edm bc sask

ham...ott...tor...raptors...piz...als
    I can share. It’ll help you feel better!
    Last edited by Smartie123; 06-09-2019 at 07:46 PM.

vCash

1 Calgary
    2 Edmonton
    3 Winnipeg
    4 B.C.
    5 Saskatchewan

1 Hamilton
    2 Toronto
    3 Ottawa
    4 Montreal

Wsf
    Edmonton beats Winnipeg
    Esf
    B.C. beats Toronto
    WF
    Edmonton beats Calgary
    EF
    B.C. beats Hamilton
    GC
    Edmonton beats B.C.

vCash

West
    1. Calgary
    2. Edmonton
    3. Winnipeg
    4. BC
    5. Greenwhites

East
    1. Hamilton
    2. Toronto
    3. Ottawa
    4. Montreal

WSF - Esks beats Winnipeg
    ESF - BC beats Toronto

WF - Calgary beats Esks
    EF - Hamilton beats BC

GC - Hamilton beats Calgary
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

West:

1- Winnipeg
    2- Edmonton
    3- Calgary
    4- BC
    5- Saskatchewan

East:

1- Toronto
    2- Hamilton
    3- Ottawa
    4- Montreal

Grey Cup: Winnipeg over Toronto.

vCash

West

WPG
    CAL
    BC
    EDM
    SASK

East

HAM
    TOR
    MTL
    OTT

GC; WPG
    Last edited by Section N; 06-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.

vCash

A very exciting time of year, my predictions are:

West

1. Winnipeg (12-6) - Continuity is the name of the game with the Bombers. Everyone else seems to have some sort of upheaval.
    2. Calgary (11-7) - I keep thinking Calgary is going to fall off but until they do, I'm going to pick them to at least challenge for first.
    3. Edmonton (10-8) - Going to get better and better as the season goes but the amount of off season changes leads us to a bit of slow start
    4. BC (9-9) - Reilly wills them into some wins but rookie coaching mistakes and a new offensive scheme for Mike, takes some time to get going.
    5. Sask (8-10) - The loss of Jones and Willie Jefferson are bigger than originally thought.

East

1. Hamilton (11-7) - Best QB in the East = top position
    2. Toronto (8-10) - Who is going to be under center and will they be able to keep the job? I suspect they are going to be bouncing around the bottom end of the standing before settling in to the middle of the pack.
    3. Ottawa (7-11) - Biggest unknown in my eyes, they could be anywhere from 1st to last in the east.
    4. Montreal (6-12) - Controversy spills onto the field and they finish last again.
    #PizStrong

vCash

WEST

1. WINNIPEG - Nichols losses the starter job to Strevlar and blows a gasket on the sideline. Combination of Strevlar and Harris in back field causes headache for opposition D and and Willie Jefferson has an MVP type season. Again could finish 1st -4th....
    2. EDMONTON - improved D and special teams gets edm over the hump. Harris surprises with a solid season and finished second in CFL passing yards. Yes, Harris has more passing yards then Reilly. Mass continues his growth as a coach and gets 2nd in tie breaker.
    3. Calgary - cant ignore the mass loss of talent on the roster. At some point it has to catch up to you. This will be the year that Calgary takes a slight step backwards in the west. BLM continues his strong play and Don Jackson emerges as a top CFL RB.
    4. SASK - gets the crossover. Collaros gets hurt/concussion and forced to play with 2nd and 3rd stringers for majority of year. Will lose many close low scoring games and makes crossover in the east.
    5. BC - Reilly is Reilly and continues to show leadership and strong play. BC is a mystery team to me. Could finish 1st - 5th in the west. Love Reilly, but will be cheering against him this season.

EAST

1. TOR - A ton of talent for Franklin/Bethol-Thompson to work with. Wilder gets back to elite RB status. Walker and Green become the leagues most dangerous REC combo. Chamberlin get the D back on track after a train wreck season a year ago.
    2. HAM - Masoli plays at a elite level. They continue to improve as season progresses. The loss of Dean/Umamba is felt early in the season.
    3. OTT - Davis impresses and cements himself as a starting QB in this league. They start off slow and catch fire at end of season only to lose the final spot to SASK.
    4. MTL - train wreck start of a season. Team takes half the season to get ride of all the bad that Sherman and company brought to MTL. Become a very respectable team second half of season. They have talent, just need a respectable coach and a leader. Kavis gets the boot once team sold and MTL starts to put good people in power positions.

vCash

Let's give this a shot

West:
    1. Calgary - Every year they lose talent, and just replace it with other unknown talent.
    2. Winnipeg - Continuity puts them back in a familiar spot
    3. Edmonton - Much better defense with the same offensive output
    4. BC - Rookie coaching staff contributes to a few losses and Reilly really misses Maas' offensive systems contributing to a drop in production
    5. Sask - Same putrid offense, defense takes a step back without Jones

East
    1. Ham - Masoli develops into a star QB this year
    2. Tor - Franklin begins to show why he was so coveted 2 years ago, much stronger defensive play with Chamblin back
    3. Ott - They lose a lot of games, but coaching alone puts them ahead of the Als.
    4. Mtl - Still a tire fire
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

West:

Calgary
    Winnipeg
    BC
    Edmonton
    Sask

East:

Ham
    Tor
    Ott
    Mon

I could see no one in the East being above 9-9.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-10-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

West
    Esks - Everyone thinks we were a one trick pony with Reilly. Harris and co. are going to show them all it's system system system to get the most out of your QB. New life and schemes on ST and D are going to make a world of difference along with some Eskimo way being taught by AJ, Tuck, Maas and McCarty. Stars will align and we will bring the Cup back from Calgary in November.
    Bombers - If we don't get to the dance it's going to be these guys. They're due for a breakout no holds barred season.
    Stumps - Bobo the Wunderkid is going to get knocked around early and happy feet will hamper the pivot all season. Lots of changes on both sides of the ball with some new coaching changes as well. We will see if their bottomless supply of "Next Man Up" runs out this year or not.
    Whiners - They will try to lose games in the most creative and undisciplined way as they can and their record will show it.
    Lions - Reilly is going to get knocked around early and the o-line won't be able to adjust to a different style of qb than they're used to. Mike will try to win the game with every long bomb on second down. Their lines on both sides of the ball are suspect. Between new system, new team mates, new coaches etc. Mike just won't be able to lead the pride to the promised land.

East
    Hamilton - We'll be playing them for the Cup in November.
    Toronto - A championship by the Raptors will renew sports interest in TO. Some of the players will start talking about the Argos and how they're a great team and the trickle down effect will result in increased attendance and revenue. Team is still not that great but hey...they could be the Als.
    Ottawa - Lost a ton of guys to FA as well as some coaching changes. Not really showing great at QB yet but they're still better than the Als.
    Montreal - Well the new uniforms are fugly and the team itself is shaping up to look the same. From the top all the way down it looks like a circus clown fireman show. So much knowledge but it's just being wasted on this once great franchise. (On the last pre-season game with them one of the commentator said they still have no succession plan after losing Calvillo...)
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

West:
    Calgary 14-4
    Winnipeg 12-6
    Edmonton 11-7
    BC 10-8
    Saskatchewan 6-12

West
    Hamilton 11-7
    Ottawa 9-9
    Toronto 6-12
    Montreal 2-16

Lopsided west over east again.

Edmonton over Winnipeg in West Semi
    BC Over Ottawa in East Semi

Calgary over Edmonton in the West Final
    BC over Hamilton in the East Final

BC over Calgary in the Grey Cup.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

In the west, I'm going to say Winnipeg-Edmonton-Calgary-B.C.-Saskatchewan in a tight race.

- I think Winnipeg has a lot of continuity and depth on both sides of the ball.

- To me, the Eskimos really improved themselves defensively and I think they did a good job matching personnel offensively. Special teams, with Gass coaching and Jackson from Day 1, should also improve.

- It seems like Calgary lost more this year than in the past. Will be interesting to see if they replaced it well.

- B.C. has a lot of new faces and new coaches, too, and I'll be interested to see how Reilly's cap hit impacts their ability to fill their other holes.

- Sask doesn't really have QBing and I don't think you can lose a coach like Jones and not hurt a bit.

In the east, I think the consensus makes sense. Hamilton-Ottawa-Toronto-Montreal. Hamilton has a bit more of a core group together. Ottawa got hit hard, but I really like Campbell as a coach. Toronto could surprise. Montreal just doesn't seem to get it.

vCash

I am curious as to why people think having Gass on the special teams will make so much of a difference? I am not knocking him at all. I hope he does but the Esks have switched out special teams coordinators before and nothing has changed much. It comes down to the players in my mind. So we will see what happens personnel wise.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I am curious as to why people think having Gass on the special teams will make so much of a difference? I am not knocking him at all. I hope he does but the Esks have switched out special teams coordinators before and nothing has changed much. It comes down to the players in my mind. So we will see what happens personnel wise.
    I think Jed can answer this question well. I seem to recall him saying something to the tune of "Special teams was all about passion" and I fully expect AJ to instill this passion in the team.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I think Jed can answer this question well. I seem to recall him saying something to the tune of "Special teams was all about passion" and I fully expect AJ to instill this passion in the team.
    But that proves my point. Over the years, while some of it may have been scheme, I don't know if it was so much the coordinators vs the players either not being good enough or not wanting to do it. Maas is about as passionate as it gets. So much so that some of press who were Rhodes buddies- Jones- was calling for Maas to get fired over being too fired up. So if Maas couldn't get those guys fired up, maybe it was more on who the organization provided talent wise.

vCash

From what I've read about his coaching in California, he seems to be a very well-prepared, detail-oriented coach who gets good buy-in from his players. On special teams, that motivation can be a huge factor. Even in his playing career, too, he always appeared to be a team first guy who would go through the wall for his team. That rubs off. You also wonder if he's better relating to the young guys coming in given where he's come from.

As I said above, I also think having a proven return guy like Martese Jackson all season is only going to be a bonus. There's a lot you can do schematically when you have a proven threat lining up.

vCash

I'm usually way off, so here goes,

WEST
    1. Calgary - 11-7: Losses to defense will hurt another strong Stampeder roster.
    2. Edmonton - 10-8: Staying healthy will be the key to a successful season. Balance between O & D should help win those close games.
    3. Winnipeg - 10-8: Andrew Harris the key. I think he's slowing down.
    4. BC - 10-8: I think Claybrooks will make the biggest difference to this club - and it will be a huge difference from Wally. If Reilly stays upright, they could challenge for 1st place.
    5. Saskatchewan - 7-11: Chris Jones got out at the right time.

EAST
    1. Hamilton - 11-7: The team to beat in the East. Nice balance on offense and defense. Will be curious to see if their added free agents provide more than the free agents they lost.
    2. Toronto - 10-8: Tons of talent in the backfield and and at receiver. James Franklin is going into free agency in 2020. It's put up or shut up time for his career.
    3. Ottawa - 7-11: Too many losses in the off-season. I think it's gonna be a tough year for the Redblacks.
    4. Montreal - 4-14: This team won't start to turn things around until Kavis is removed. Simple as that.

WSF - Winnipeg 13 @ Edmonton 38
    ESF - BC 26 @ Toronto 28

WF - Edmonton 31 @ Calgary 28
    EF - Toronto 26 @ Hamilton 22

Grey Cup - Toronto 28 Edmonton 23

That's about as wild a collection of guesses as I'm gonna give you
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Your right, they changed from Dickenson in 2015 who was running one of the most dominant ST's units in the league, to Mcdirmid in 2016 who promptly ran that unit into the ground. I don't really count the late season switch to Jackson last year as it was essentially a lateral move for us to go from CM to his protege in DJ for a few games.

Gass brings the right attitude now we just have to wait and see if his schemes hold up. If preseason was any indication the blocking and the lanes that were being created were already a vast improvement over the continual wall of opposing player our returners have been faced with in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Calgary - Huffnagle, what's more to say? lol
    Edmonton - Esks are more well rounded than they have been in years, should FINALLY have a dominant offence and dominant defense at the same time (Jones D>McAdoo’s O/Maas' O>Bene's D).
    Winnipeg - Continuity is their biggest asset early on.
    BC - So much change (like us) but less experienced guys coming in than we have, they’ll need a bit of time.
    Sask - Worst QB in the west and D won’t be THAT much better than everyone else’s to be able to make up for it.

Hamilton
    Toronto
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 06-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.

vCash

But that proves my point. Over the years, while some of it may have been scheme, I don't know if it was so much the coordinators vs the players either not being good enough or not wanting to do it. Maas is about as passionate as it gets. So much so that some of press who were Rhodes buddies- Jones- was calling for Maas to get fired over being too fired up. So if Maas couldn't get those guys fired up, maybe it was more on who the organization provided talent wise.
    Not really, as Maas isn't the special teams coordinator. A good boss or leader will give his team the tools they want to succeed and then get out of their way, whereas a bad boss will do exactly the opposite. Could it be the talent that the organization was giving them? Possibly but ALL of these guys are athletes so I highly doubt that they couldn't forma decent special teams unit out of the 46 players given to them.

Again I will defer to Jed as he knows a hell of a lot more about this than I do.
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    West
    Esks - Everyone thinks we were a one trick pony with Reilly. Harris and co. are going to show them all it's system system system to get the most out of your QB. New life and schemes on ST and D are going to make a world of difference along with some Eskimo way being taught by AJ, Tuck, Maas and McCarty. Stars will align and we will bring the Cup back from Calgary in November.
    Bombers - If we don't get to the dance it's going to be these guys. They're due for a breakout no holds barred season.
    Stumps - Bobo the Wunderkid is going to get knocked around early and happy feet will hamper the pivot all season. Lots of changes on both sides of the ball with some new coaching changes as well. We will see if their bottomless supply of "Next Man Up" runs out this year or not.
    Whiners - They will try to lose games in the most creative and undisciplined way as they can and their record will show it.
    Lions - Reilly is going to get knocked around early and the o-line won't be able to adjust to a different style of qb than they're used to. Mike will try to win the game with every long bomb on second down. Their lines on both sides of the ball are suspect. Between new system, new team mates, new coaches etc. Mike just won't be able to lead the pride to the promised land.

East
    Hamilton - We'll be playing them for the Cup in November.
    Toronto - A championship by the Raptors will renew sports interest in TO. Some of the players will start talking about the Argos and how they're a great team and the trickle down effect will result in increased attendance and revenue. Team is still not that great but hey...they could be the Als.
    Ottawa - Lost a ton of guys to FA as well as some coaching changes. Not really showing great at QB yet but they're still better than the Als.
    Montreal - Well the new uniforms are fugly and the team itself is shaping up to look the same. From the top all the way down it looks like a circus clown fireman show. So much knowledge but it's just being wasted on this once great franchise. (On the last pre-season game with them one of the commentator said they still have no succession plan after losing Calvillo...)
    I really think that everyone counting the Esks out because of the loss of Reilly are in for a big surprise, I can’t wait!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I really think that everyone counting the Esks out because of the loss of Reilly are in for a big surprise, I can’t wait!
    I suspect that a lot of the attention, at least early in the year, is going to be how much our D has improved but I expect our O to continue to get better as the season goes and to be hitting our stride well before the playoffs roll around.
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I suspect that a lot of the attention, at least early in the year, is going to be how much our D has improved but I expect our O to continue to get better as the season goes and to be hitting our stride well before the playoffs roll around.
    One thing I thought about the other day is that I would argue that Harris is a much more polished QB at this point than Reilly was at the beginning of his time working with Maas, and look where he ended up, MOP and perennial league leading passer, I think Harris has every opportunity to enjoy a similar career boost from JM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    One thing I thought about the other day is that I would argue that Harris is a much more polished QB at this point than Reilly was at the beginning of his time working with Maas, and look where he ended up, MOP and perennial league leading passer, I think Harris has every opportunity to enjoy a similar career boost from JM.
    The major advantage Reilly has is that I see him as being much more mobile and able to get out of trouble faster. From the highlights of Harris that I've seen, he's nowhere near as cool under pressure.

(Mind you, perhaps Reilly had moments where he was almost too cool and tried too hard to extend the play...)
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    The major advantage Reilly has is that I see him as being much more mobile and able to get out of trouble faster. From the highlights of Harris that I've seen, he's nowhere near as cool under pressure.

(Mind you, perhaps Reilly had moments where he was almost too cool and tried too hard to extend the play...)
    I think with Harris we are going to get a quicker release which means less onus on the Oline leading to less sacks as well as him being a slightly more accurate passer in the short/intermediate routes. On the other side of the coin we are going to lose Reilly's ability to extend a play with his feet/will to stay on them and his near 3rd down sneak perfection.
    #PizStrong