Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Predict the standings thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Predict the standings thread

West
    1. Calgary (13-5): every year I expect a step back and it never happens
    2. Winnipeg (13-5): good last year so continuity should make them good again. Lose tiebreaker to Calgary
    3. Edmonton (10-8): defence will be improved and I think the O while not spectacular will be decent
    4. BC (9-9): They are my biggest ? but I’m not seeing the talent on D that Claybrooks worked with in Calgary
    5. Sask (7-11): same crappy offence and no more Jones swagger

East
    1. Hamilton (11-7): only good team in the East this year
    2. Toronto (7-11): tie with Ottawa but win the tiebreaker
    3. Ottawa (7-11): way too much top talent gone and I don’t see the replacements as good enough
    4. Montreal (4-14): gong show

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I think with Harris we are going to get a quicker release which means less onus on the Oline leading to less sacks as well as him being a slightly more accurate passer in the short/intermediate routes. On the other side of the coin we are going to lose Reilly's ability to extend a play with his feet/will to stay on them and his near 3rd down sneak perfection.
    I think the Esks with Harris will lose the play extending ability that Reilly had with his feet as well as they lost the big play ability of Reilly. Harris is a quick release, timing QB. When he is on, he looks good. But as I have noticed when he played, when his timing is off, he's brutal. We saw the Esks and their pretty porus, poor covering defense shut Harris down pretty easily when he was off. When Reilly has an off game, he could still get first downs with his feet and had the ability to turn the game around with a few big plays.

Hopefully the defense has improved enough that they won't have to rely on the offense to carry them.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I think the Esks with Harris will lose the play extending ability that Reilly had with his feet as well as they lost the big play ability of Reilly. Harris is a quick release, timing QB. When he is on, he looks good. But as I have noticed when he played, when his timing is off, he's brutal. We saw the Esks and their pretty porus, poor covering defense shut Harris down pretty easily when he was off. When Reilly has an off game, he could still get first downs with his feet and had the ability to turn the game around with a few big plays.

Hopefully the defense has improved enough that they won't have to rely on the offense to carry them.
    Harris completed 44 of 56 passes (79%) for 604 yards with 2 TDs and 2 Ints in a win and a loss last year against the Esks.

That is 10.8 yards per attempt, a far cry from being shut down.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I watched the same Ottawa / Edmonton highlights and had that same worry...but in fairness to Harris, Reilly has had his share of terribad games too. The 2017 embarrassment against the Riders and last year's losses to Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa come to mind.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

We agree on Reillys ability to extend the play, we don't agree on Harris's ability. Harris has the ability to put up big plays as well and we never really shut him down last year. In 2 games against us last year, Trevor passed for 604 yards or an average of 302 yards per game. Take out those 2 games and our defence gave up an average of 264 yards per game or 38 less yards per game then we did against Trevor Harris led teams.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Esks #1 in the west and win the Grey Cup this is the only expectation I have for my team.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

On Reilly versus Harris:

Here are their yards per season totals, all pro-rated over 18 games, since they became starters:

Reilly:
    2013: 4207
    2014: 3992
    2015: 4408
    2016: 5881
    2017: 5830
    2018: 5562

Harris:
    2015: 4610
    2016: 4952
    2017: 5615
    2018: 5417

Both have precisely the same 8.4 yards per attempt over their careers. There isn't nearly as much difference between these two as their reputations suggest. Two things: you look up leadership in the dictionary, there's a picture of Mike. And he has the running ability; Harris doesn't.

The major thing that hits you in the face: Jason Maas started as the Eskimos' HC in 2016. Look at Mike's numbers, before and after. It's about system, as much as about player.

Trevor will out-throw Mike this year. Mike will out-run Trevor. There won't be a big difference between them, all told.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    On Reilly versus Harris:

Here are their yards per season totals, all pro-rated over 18 games, since they became starters:

Reilly:
    2013: 4207
    2014: 3992
    2015: 4408
    2016: 5881
    2017: 5830
    2018: 5562

Harris:
    2015: 4610
    2016: 4952
    2017: 5615
    2018: 5417

Both have precisely the same 8.4 yards per attempt over their careers. There isn't nearly as much difference between these two as their reputations suggest. Two things: you look up leadership in the dictionary, there's a picture of Mike. And he has the running ability; Harris doesn't.

The major thing that hits you in the face: Jason Maas started as the Eskimos' HC in 2016. Look at Mike's numbers, before and after. It's about system, as much as about player.

Trevor will out-throw Mike this year. Mike will out-run Trevor. There won't be a big difference between them, all told.
    I think the narrative that was initially created - Mike is a deep-throwing gunslinger, and Trevor is a check-down ball control guy - has become too entrenched. There may be games when it totally plays out, but I think more often than not, it is going to be somewhere in between.

Ottawa had a few years of having back-to-back 4 x 1000 yard receivers, and those weren't all screen passes by any means... and now he's going to be in a Jason Maas system. Yes - timing is important to him, and he's not going to be the scrambler that Mike was, or to likely hang onto the ball and tempt fate by taking the big hits to make a play, but statistically, their average pass (attempt or completion) doesn't look a lot different.

I'm really intrigued by two key differences - what we're going to look like in short-yardage this year, and the yields coming from Trevor's personal leadership style. While they're big shoes to fill, as has been well-publicized, this is a guy that followed Ricky Ray and Henry Burris already in his CFL career, so knows a thing or two about the position he's in that way. From my observations, Mike leadership is almost cult of personality - he's got a charisma and a presence that he's developed that people want to be around and follow. Trevor's style is more about caring for people and earning trust by demonstrating that authentically and consistently over and over in his daily life - he's a guy that is so easy to like and follow because you know he has your back too. It's not my intent to knock one down to build the other up, and both styles have proven effective for them, but part of the test will be how that translates to new surroundings, new situations, new coaching staffs, new cultures and new teammates.

-----------

I think there will be more parity this year than recent years, and I don't foresee any western teams getting out to a big lead in the standings.

Winnipeg - as mentioned, continuity of personnel and continuity of coaching should allow them to keep building off of last year
    Edmonton - defensive improvements should be bigger than offensive losses
    Calgary - defensive losses should be bigger than offensive consistency - No Claybrooks, no Singleton, no Micah Johnson, no Junior Thurman, no Ciante Evans, and no Ja'Gared Davis.
    BC - new staff and new personnel, but good building blocks
    Sask - defense takes a step back (Jones/Jefferson) and offence takes a step forward (healthy Collaros/Powell), but it was defence that won them their games last year

Toronto - I've been impressed by their offence in pre-season, and I know it's difficult to trust that, but Franklin, a big stable of RBs and Walker/Green/Edwards - could be explosive
    Hamilton - most people's pick for front-runner
    Montreal - More talent on the roster if they can get out of their own way in terms of coaching/ownership/operations
    Ottawa - too many losses set them back this year

vCash

We agree on Reillys ability to extend the play, we don't agree on Harris's ability. Harris has the ability to put up big plays as well and we never really shut him down last year. In 2 games against us last year, Trevor passed for 604 yards or an average of 302 yards per game. Take out those 2 games and our defence gave up an average of 264 yards per game or 38 less yards per game then we did against Trevor Harris led teams.
    I don't quite understand where you think I said I was questioning Harris's ability as a QB. I think he is a good QB, he's just a different style of QB. Harris is a ball control QB. Quick, accurate throws. When he's on, he can move the ball. But he's not a gun slinger like Reilly is. Reilly is the type of QB who when things aren't clicking, he can still get you some scores on a few plays. Can Harris get the odd big play, sure he can. Do you expect it? I would say the answer is no you don't.

Harris did put up some good numbers against the Esks. In their last game on Oct 13, Harris was 21-26, 291 yards, 1 TD, 1 int. He put up 16 pts in the first half. ZERO in the second half. The Esks beat Ottawa 34-16 outscoring Ottawa 20-0 in the second half. If I am not mistaken, that was an important game for Ottawa.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Harris did put up some good numbers against the Esks. In their last game on Oct 13, Harris was 21-26, 291 yards, 1 TD, 1 int. He put up 16 pts in the first half. ZERO in the second half. The Esks beat Ottawa 34-16 outscoring Ottawa 20-0 in the second half. If I am not mistaken, that was an important game for Ottawa.
    Perhaps the Redblacks were thinking too far ahead to the home and home series against Hamilton the next couple weeks? Not an excuse, just spitballing. They did wind up beating Hamilton in both games to clinch first place in the East. If only they could have saved some of that for the Grey Cup
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I don't quite understand where you think I said I was questioning Harris's ability as a QB. I think he is a good QB, he's just a different style of QB. Harris is a ball control QB. Quick, accurate throws. When he's on, he can move the ball. But he's not a gun slinger like Reilly is. Reilly is the type of QB who when things aren't clicking, he can still get you some scores on a few plays. Can Harris get the odd big play, sure he can. Do you expect it? I would say the answer is no you don't.

Maybe I was mistaken but you did say that we lost the big play ability of Reilly. Last year Mike Reilly had 33 completions over 30 yards, Harris had 23 so there is a bit of a difference but they didn't lose that ability.

#PizStrong

vCash

Maybe I was mistaken but you did say that we lost the big play ability of Reilly. Last year Mike Reilly had 33 completions over 30 yards, Harris had 23 so there is a bit of a difference but they didn't lose that ability.
    Good lord dude. I give up with you. All you do is spin what I say and put words in my mouth. I fully admit, I like Reilly as a QB because I like the style of game he plays. He's a big, punch you in the mouth, drag 3 guys across the line, try to throw the ball through a wall, throw it a mile QB. I find his risk/reward game exciting to watch. I didn't want the Esks to lose him. But they did. They tried to resign him, they gave it their best shot, it didn't work out. So they went and got Harris. All I have said I don't know how many times how I felt Harris was a good QB. If they were going to lose Reilly, then I was happy they went out and got Harris because he was the best available option. He's a good QB and I have sung his praises. So good on Sunderland. BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT QB'S. That's not knock, that is not me bashing Harris or Brock or who whoever the hell else you are getting your back up about. They play a different style. From what I have seen of Harris over the years when he was in Ottawa, I expect the Esks to march the ball up the field and play a more ball control style. More of the 5-7 yards range. I do not expect him to stretch the field as much as I would expect a Reilly offense to do. It doesn't mean Harris can't throw a 30 yard pass. It doesn't mean he won't throw some longer passes, I just don't expect to see as many because that is not his style from what I have seen. When I hear other people outside of this site talk about Harris terms like "GUN SLINGER and BIG PLAY QB" do not come up.

Regardless, I am done arguing about this with you. Even when I praise a guy, you still twist my words to try to make me wrong so you win.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-11-2019 at 09:40 AM.

vCash

Good lord dude. I give up with you. All you do is spin what I say and put words in my mouth. I fully admit, I like Reilly as a QB because I like the style of game he plays. He's a big, punch you in the mouth, drag 3 guys across the line, try to throw the ball through a wall, throw it a mile QB. I find his risk/reward game exciting to watch. I didn't want the Esks to lose him. But they did. They tried to resign him, they gave it their best shot, it didn't work out. So they went and got Harris. All I have said I don't know how many times how I felt Harris was a good QB. If they were going to lose Reilly, then I was happy they went out and got Harris because he was the best available option. He's a good QB and I have sung his praises. So good on Sunderland. BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT QB'S. That's not knock, that is not me bashing Harris or Brock or who whoever the hell else you are getting your back up about. They play a different style. From what I have seen of Harris over the years when he was in Ottawa, I expect the Esks to march the ball up the field and play a more ball control style. More of the 5-7 yards range. I do not expect him to stretch the field as much as I would expect a Reilly offense to do. It doesn't mean Harris can't throw a 30 yard pass. It doesn't mean he won't throw some longer passes, I just don't expect to see as many because that is not his style from what I have seen. When I hear other people outside of this site talk about Harris terms like "GUN SLINGER and BIG PLAY QB" do not come up.

Regardless, I am don't arguing about this with you. Even when I praise a guy, you still twist my words to try to make me wrong so you win.
    I wasn't twisting your words at all, in fact I QUOTED you, which you seemed to have glossed over. The toughest part of any text related communication is getting tone out of it, I actually thought we were having a decent conversation here but of course you put up a fit when someone doesn't fully agree with what you say. There isn't a score board in this chat room and I have absolutely no need to "win" our conversation but if that's how you feel, then I apologize to you as that wasn't my intent, just want to discuss our team.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I wasn't twisting your words at all, in fact I QUOTED you, which you seemed to have glossed over. The toughest part of any text related communication is getting tone out of it, I actually thought we were having a decent conversation here but of course you put up a fit when someone doesn't fully agree with what you say. There isn't a score board in this chat room and I have absolutely no need to "win" our conversation but if that's how you feel, then I apologize to you as that wasn't my intent, just want to discuss our team.
    I didn't gloss over what I said. I know exactly what I said. All I said is they are 2 different styles of QB. Reilly typically plays a more push the ball down the field, risk/reward, throw it up style, Harris doesn't. There isn't one thing wrong with the style of game that Harris usually plays. We had Ricky Ray maybe one of the best ever at playing that style and the Esks had a ton of success with it. Ricky could also throw the deep ball when needed and he did. Just like Harris can. All I said was when you swap out Reilly for Harris, you lose that style of game and we will most likely not see Harris tying to push the ball down the field like Reilly did. It will be more of a ball control, march it down the field style in smaller chunks style of offense. It doesn't mean Harris is not a good QB, it doesn't mean the Esks can't win lots of games with Harris at QB, it doesn't mean he can't stretch the field if he wanted too or needed too, just means we probably won't see it as often as we did with Reilly.

vCash

I didn't gloss over what I said. I know exactly what I said. All I said is they are 2 different styles of QB. Reilly typically plays a more push the ball down the field, risk/reward, throw it up style, Harris doesn't. There isn't one thing wrong with the style of game that Harris usually plays. We had Ricky Ray maybe one of the best ever at playing that style and the Esks had a ton of success with it. Ricky could also throw the deep ball when needed and he did. Just like Harris can. All I said was when you swap out Reilly for Harris, you lose that style of game and we will most likely not see Harris tying to push the ball down the field like Reilly did. It will be more of a ball control, march it down the field style in smaller chunks style of offense. It doesn't mean Harris is not a good QB, it doesn't mean the Esks can't win lots of games with Harris at QB, it doesn't mean he can't stretch the field if he wanted too or needed too, just means we probably won't see it as often as we did with Reilly.
    Misunderstood what you were saying as I thought you said we lost the big play ability of Reilly, not that it will happen less (which I agree with)

- - - Updated - - -

Misunderstood what you were saying as I thought you said we lost the big play ability of Reilly, not that it will happen less (which I agree with) my bad.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Well, nice to see a few people coming around this year to realize the Bombers are amazing!

West:
    1) Blue Bombers. Nichols changed to a Milt-ish diet and is faster, Harris has a worthy back up, Receivers are improved, O-Line downgraded (more comfort together than individual talent in my view). DBs slightly downgraded, D-Line the best in the league (Man, you guys need to see Richardson!) I'm predicting Jeffcoat as the league Sack Leader.

2) Edmonton. Solid roster up and down means you win more of the odd games. Sunderland really worked hard. Caveat: If Mass can't inspire discipline with a new group, there is a real problem with him, and it will leak to things beside's penalties.

3) Calgary. Dear Huff-Huffers, finding a new guy to replace an all-star is easy when you only need two new starters a year. Replacing 28 Sacks 6 INT 10 Forced Fumbles and a #$% tonne of tackles is not "Plug and PLay" especially with a new DC.

4) I'm going to put BC here, but realistically they could be almost anywhere. They have no depth and if injuries happen they are done. For example, they are starting two american receivers in Burnham and Carter and are backing them up with literal rookies.

5) Nope. Defence won't hold without Jones. Powell is great, Collaros isn't, adn Dickenson Jr (or Sr) didn't really want the job.

East:

1) Hamilton: Actual team, actual coach.

2) Ottawa, no team, actual coach (hard as it is for me to believe)

3) Toronto, bit of a team, fake coach.

4) Montreal, no team no coach.
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

If the Bombers are ever going to take that step this would be the year. I believe they had the most continuity on their team in the West. I picked Calgary as being first just because they have Mitchell back. Dickenson is a good coach and Huff just seems to be able to find guys but maybe this is the year they finally take a step back.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    2) Edmonton. Solid roster up and down means you win more of the odd games. Sunderland really worked hard. Caveat: If Mass can't inspire discipline with a new group, there is a real problem with him, and it will leak to things beside's penalties.
    I saw a stat on Twitter (@UncleBD) that the Esks have had less than 10 penalties in 10 consecutive regular season games. My hope is that the progress that was evidenced in the second half of the season, and that, despite a frustrating stretch where they weren't playing well, will continue to play out. For those that want to/choose to see it, there was a point where Maas held himself accountable last year and seemed to change elements of his behaviour in terms of how much he let himself show on the sidelines, and it seemed to filter through the team. Of course, like with many that have had meme-worthy moments in their career, it's going to take awhile to change some people's minds and there are others that will never change their opinions, but ultimately I agree - discipline will be key for the Esks to have some success this year as they're dealing with a lot of roster changes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

If the Bombers are ever going to take that step this would be the year. I believe they had the most continuity on their team in the West. I picked Calgary as being first just because they have Mitchell back. Dickenson is a good coach and Huff just seems to be able to find guys but maybe this is the year they finally take a step back.
    As much as I hate to say it, the year the Stamps step back is probably going to be the same year the Patriots step back.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

We said the same about the Als for about 5-10 years...every year they were weakened, and were going to take a step back. They finally did (boy, did they ever), but not until a long series of failed predictions had come and gone.

vCash

Yup, and I've said it before about the Stamps but..... Singleton, Thurman, Micah Johnson, Davis, Evans...... (I feel like I'm missing someone) is a lot of talented Vets not helping the new DC break in. Then no Davaris Daniels, Marken Michal, Even if Breakfast and Rogers are solid. My point is that when a GM needs to plug a couple holes on a good team, you can flood TC with that role, pick the best, and be in a good position. Even Huff can't flood TC with DBs, LBs, D-Line, and Receivers. Two Starting O-line not back either....
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Yup, and I've said it before about the Stamps but..... Singleton, Thurman, Micah Johnson, Davis, Evans...... (I feel like I'm missing someone) is a lot of talented Vets not helping the new DC break in. Then no Davaris Daniels, Marken Michal, Even if Breakfast and Rogers are solid. My point is that when a GM needs to plug a couple holes on a good team, you can flood TC with that role, pick the best, and be in a good position. Even Huff can't flood TC with DBs, LBs, D-Line, and Receivers. Two Starting O-line not back either....
    11 starters out of 24 changed this year. Two of them were likely in the top 5 defensive players in the league. Reading today that they're still unsettled on two spots in their secondary where they're turning to newcomers to the CFL. Kamar Jorden, from what I understand, is likely more of a mid-season return.

There's benefit of the doubt, and the idea that you're the champs until someone knocks you off, but that is one steep hill to climb, even with a potent offence.

vCash

Well, nice to see a few people coming around this year to realize the Bombers are amazing!

West:
    1) Blue Bombers. Nichols changed to a Milt-ish diet and is faster, Harris has a worthy back up, Receivers are improved, O-Line downgraded (more comfort together than individual talent in my view). DBs slightly downgraded, D-Line the best in the league (Man, you guys need to see Richardson!) I'm predicting Jeffcoat as the league Sack Leader.

3) Calgary. Dear Huff-Huffers, finding a new guy to replace an all-star is easy when you only need two new starters a year. Replacing 28 Sacks 6 INT 10 Forced Fumbles and a #$% tonne of tackles is not "Plug and PLay" especially with a new DC.

4) I'm going to put BC here, but realistically they could be almost anywhere. They have no depth and if injuries happen they are done. For example, they are starting two american receivers in Burnham and Carter and are backing them up with literal rookies.

5) Nope. Defence won't hold without Jones. Powell is great, Collaros isn't, adn Dickenson Jr (or Sr) didn't really want the job.

East:

1) Hamilton: Actual team, actual coach.

2) Ottawa, no team, actual coach (hard as it is for me to believe)

3) Toronto, bit of a team, fake coach.

4) Montreal, no team no coach.
    Coach Maxie disagrees...

vCash

I really can't wait for y'all to see our bowling ball! Check out the size of those thighs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7GM4dspkQA
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

I really can't wait for y'all to see our bowling ball! Check out the size of those thighs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7GM4dspkQA
    Looks like Mondo, could be a nice find for ya.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Brandin Bryant was starting next to Nevis on the interior at the end of last season, he was released in the cuts because of Richardson's play. With the push up the middle and the Jeffs on the outside, I'm expecting great things (especially against a Lions line with a centre who played guard all pre-season!)
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

See folxs on twitter having Edmonton down as 5th in the West..

Come on now...

vCash

I came close to that...but also two games out of first, and ahead of every eastern team.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    See folxs on twitter having Edmonton down as 5th in the West..

Come on now...
    No one seems to be giving us a chance, I'm actually excited about that though because I think we're gonna surprise people in a big way this year.

I'm expecting more or less the same level of production from the O but with a giant leap forward from the D and potentially better ST play as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    No one seems to be giving us a chance, I'm actually excited about that though because I think we're gonna surprise people in a big way this year.

I'm expecting more or less the same level of production from the O but with a giant leap forward from the D and potentially better ST play as well.
    Yeah, it really baffles me how groupthink seems to suggest that Saskatchewan keeping Collaros was enough, when their offense was terrible with or without him last year. Then you lose the swagger of Jones' defense and you'd think that costs them a couple games remembering that even though they were 12-6 last year, they were only +6 in scoring differential due to timely scoring plays by the defense. Any drop in that defense at all, likely is a 3 win or more swing. They likely perform better than I expect them to, but I have them as challenged to even achieve 9-9.