Thread: Cancer is gone from the locker room

vCash

Article Cancer is gone from the locker room

Re: Cancer is gone from the locker room

Wow, that's quite a story.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Gum Guy View Post
    I know a well respected staff member was not a fan of Chris Edwards and his attitude but it also could be a mix of players as Duke Williams had a bit of a reputation coming in (not saying it was him)
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

I really don't like it when a player says something like this but doesn't name names. All it does is spur speculation and someone will inevitably get thrown under the bus unfairly.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I really don't like it when a player says something like this but doesn't name names. All it does is spur speculation and someone will inevitably get thrown under the bus unfairly.
    very true.

vCash

Agreed. Already, we see lots of speculation and, "I never really liked that guy" stuff, and there is a danger that it gets repeated enough that it feels like fact.

I don't particularly blame the reporter (I refuse to use the word journalist for Mod) when he smells a story that will generate clicks, but I am disappointed that Whyte took the bait and gave him that quote.

vCash

It would have been better left unsaid even if it was true.

vCash

For anyone blaming Mod for this story, why? He's doing his job. He's a reporter.

Why is Sean Whyte saying these things? How does that help future team chemistry when you have one of your teammates spouting off to the media?

Like some have said, I don't like that he's said these things and didn't back it up with names. If those guys are gone, they aren't here to defend themselves. Kind of a coward thing to do if you ask me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    For anyone blaming Mod for this story, why? He's doing his job. He's a reporter.

Why is Sean Whyte saying these things? How does that help future team chemistry when you have one of your teammates spouting off to the media?

Like some have said, I don't like that he's said these things and didn't back it up with names. If those guys are gone, they aren't here to defend themselves. Kind of a coward thing to do if you ask me.
    I agree with you in that I think it's sort of cowardly when you say something as harsh as a guy or guys were cancers but don't want to name who. If you are scared to name names when talking about someone as a cancer, then word it differently. Just say a particular few guys with names didn't fit well personality wise. There is the 46 man roster, plus however many guys on the practice plus a few guys who are on the "1 game injury" plus other injured guys plus I am sure every team has a few guys hanging around you aren't listed who magically show up at practice the next day when an injury happens. So there might be 60+ players around the team, all with different personalities, from different places in North America and different backgrounds. So not every guy is going fit in perfectly and everyone be this giant, happy family.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-11-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Agreed hundrend percent. Whyte would be part of the problem.
    Met him at fan day, funny guy but came across a little arrogant. IMO.

And yeah, I don't blame MOD. It's his job. Even though he not that great at it

vCash

Benevides maybe?

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Speaks more to the collective leadership in the room last year that allowed distractions and factions to fester if true. I maintain every good football team needs a couple of pricks on the roster but the leadership needs to work to keep that energy focused and not become a distraction.

That said, SW now has left himself open to some shots of his own if he doesn't come out with a good start to the year.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Benevides maybe?
    can't see that, have never heard any character issues with him, in fact I've heard the opposite.

vCash

Or the specs team coaches who were booted.

Remember, its the kicker who is talking (best Peyton Manning drawl). They don't usually have the pulse of the entire team. But he'd know if the specs team coach was disrespecting other coaches or players.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

I think Maas has been underwhelming in terms of setting a culture his entire tenure as Eskimos coach so far. I'm glad he's made it a priority this season. Hopefully he continues that now that we're into the season.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Whatever or whoever it was, it's not worth speculating over anymore. 2018 is behind us. A number of old players are gone, for better or worse. A number of new players have come, for better or worse.

Time to make like Frozen and "let it go"...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    I think Maas has been underwhelming in terms of setting a culture his entire tenure as Eskimos coach so far. I'm glad he's made it a priority this season. Hopefully he continues that now that we're into the season.
    The thing that impressed me the most with this tactic is that Maas seems willing and able to learn from his mistakes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    The thing that impressed me the most with this tactic is that Maas seems willing and able to learn from his mistakes.
    Agreed.
    I like that he's been growing in all aspects as a coach. I think he's become more comfortable in a lot of his day to day stuff and can now focus a bit more energy on the team dynamics. I'm sure Jason would be the first to admit that there have been some big challenges along the way that may not have received the attention he wanted to give.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

This.

....and this....

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Speaks more to the collective leadership in the room last year that allowed distractions and factions to fester if true. I maintain every good football team needs a couple of pricks on the roster but the leadership needs to work to keep that energy focused and not become a distraction.

That said, SW now has left himself open to some shots of his own if he doesn't come out with a good start to the year.
    ....and this....it’s not like everybody loves him either....

vCash

Perhaps Mod spun what Whyte said to him in a different way ? That would not shock me one bit.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Perhaps Mod spun what Whyte said to him in a different way ? That would not shock me one bit.
    Are you suggesting Mod would stretch the truth in a story simply for clicks on his twitter feed in an effort to save his job in the ever declining world of print media???

Perhaps...
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I highly doubt it.

If he did, not one guy from the Eskimos should be talking to him going forward if his M.O is to railroad every player on this team.

I have a feeling Whyte said what he said and like the reporter that he is, he ran with the story because it, like has been said, would create click bait for people like us who love the Eskimos.

vCash

Interesting that Vidal Hazelton, Kevin Elliott and Tori Gurley were all cut from the Argonaut roster in the middle of the 2016 season for I've heard constituting a divisive element in the team's locker room.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    Interesting that Vidal Hazelton, Kevin Elliott and Tori Gurley were all cut from the Argonaut roster in the middle of the 2016 season for I've heard constituting a divisive element in the team's locker room.

We had Vidal on the pr during 16 on the roster all of 17 and after the injury a part of 18

I can honestly say from the people I speak to his character has never once been questioned!

Iíve heard nothing on Elliot either but for sure Vidal was all in whilst he was here..

vCash

Though I've never been anywhere near their locker room, there was definitely something off last year. Undisciplined penalties, very inconsistent play, even the matter that when the offense would be clicking the defense rolled over and vice versa. Something was off.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a more general observation as even at the scouting level there has been reported divides between guys still loyal to Hervey and the guys trying to move on with the new regime. Perhaps the cutting out of the cancer was simply a referral to officially moving on completely from that group at all levels and removing Rhodes who started the whole mess. When you also consider they had some edgier personality like Williams or Edwards, if there is a cultural issues still rooted in the Hervey vs. Rhodes fiasco, the leadership group wasn't well positioned to manage those personalities.

This year it appears to be all about establishing a new identity and culture and hearing the verbal from Maas about this training camp, team building appears to be a top priority to start this year and so it supports that perhaps there was divide going on last year.

Mod's article wants to point out individuals, but perhaps it was moreso a group that simply hadn't moved on.
    Last edited by bone; 06-12-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Though I've never been anywhere near their locker room, there was definitely something off last year. Undisciplined penalties, very inconsistent play, even the matter that when the offense would be clicking the defense rolled over and vice versa. Something was off.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a more general observation as even at the scouting level there has been reported divides between guys still loyal to Hervey and the guys trying to move on with the new regime. Perhaps the cutting out of the cancer was simply a referral to officially moving on completely from that group at all levels and removing Rhodes who started the whole mess. When you also consider they had some edgier personality like Williams or Edwards, if there is a cultural issues still rooted in the Hervey vs. Rhodes fiasco, the leadership group wasn't well positioned to manage those personalities.

This year it appears to be all about establishing a new identity and culture and hearing the verbal from Maas about this training camp, team building appears to be a top priority to start this year and so it supports that perhaps there was divide going on last year.

Mod's article wants to point out individuals, but perhaps it was moreso a group that simply hadn't moved on.
    That's kinda how I read it too. I don't think this was a simple case of it all coming down to one or two guys in particular, but more of a rift that started with Rhodes decision and rippled outward creating a cancerous environment. As much as I loved guys like Reilly, Grymes, Walker etc. in green and gold, I think it's healthy for the club to turn the page on the Hervey era and start fresh like they have this season.

vCash

Absolutely. Without specifics, story about the “cancer” becomes the cancer.

It was quite evident last year that the ESKS had trouble with some of these "all-star" receivers. We were loaded with talent in that department (so we were told) With all that supposed talent, ESKS didn't generate much. 1/2 way through the year, the receiving core seemed like they didn't give a **** if they caught the ball or not. Hell, I commented several times how some of them were smiling or laughing after not making a catch...they were a cocky bunch with talent but NO heart..NFL can have them.

vCash

Hopefully they will not have that issue this season.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by coach_ditka View Post
    It was quite evident last year that the ESKS had trouble with some of these "all-star" receivers. We were loaded with talent in that department (so we were told) With all that supposed talent, ESKS didn't generate much. 1/2 way through the year, the receiving core seemed like they didn't give a **** if they caught the ball or not. Hell, I commented several times how some of them were smiling or laughing after not making a catch...they were a cocky bunch with talent but NO heart..NFL can have them.
    I would take Zylstra, Duke and Mitchell back in a heartbeat. I don't know what happened to that Offense in the second half of last season but something did. IMO Reilly looked checked out for a lot of it. The offense had no rhythm just lets go Deep over and over again.