Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Eskimos vs. Alouettes; 2019 Home Opener

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs. Alouettes; 2019 Home Opener

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    To be fair, at the game last Friday Punter was up in the crowd in our section in the second half. There were a pile of pictures taken and my kids were hoping he’d make his way over to us. There were also cheer leaders up in the stands selling pins who stopped to high 5 my little guys and chat with them and they loved it. Little things that might be going in the right direction. I go to a number of Rebels games as well and I agree that Wully Bully has a very active role at the games. Hell during the Memorial Cup year watching playoff games (for the WHL) on tv, my oldest got excited anytime we spotted him on tv.
    That's great that Punter did that. Where was that years ago? Like I said, this is the first year in 25 yrs we didn't renew. I have been taking my oldest son who's 8 1/2 to a few games each year for the last couple of years and none of that happened. The Esks could have spent a few thousand dollars on mini footballs and letting the fire truck drive around and got way more to the overall entertainment value of the game vs spending I don't even want to know how much it cost to bring in the washed up rappers that have played 12 mins at half time. They got more of a increase in fans and a better atmosphere on $2 hot dog night than on any game they brought in a band.

Go hire a local band to play music at half time, have $2 hotdogs and $5 beer and I would almost guarantee you would get more people and a better atmosphere in that place than hiring Flor Rida or whoever the hell the guy in the fast and furious movies was.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

You didn't need to have entertainment for your kids for three hours 25 years ago. The games were closer to 2.5 hours than 3. If a game is scheduled to start at 7:00 it should start at 7:01 not 7:08.

vCash

I'd prefer to see a hard, set in stone kickoff at 7:05. Do all the pregame stuff, coin toss, anthem, etc before the TV broadcast starts.

When I watch a sports event on TV, who cares about the anthem. I want to turn on the TV and see the game start. If you had a standard 5 minutes after the hour as the kickoff, then if fans want to go early to see the pregame stuff, they can. Right now, you show up before 7:00 and you never know exactly what time kickoff will be - depends on pregame ceremonies, etc.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    I'd prefer to see a hard, set in stone kickoff at 7:05. Do all the pregame stuff, coin toss, anthem, etc before the TV broadcast starts.

When I watch a sports event on TV, who cares about the anthem. I want to turn on the TV and see the game start. If you had a standard 5 minutes after the hour as the kickoff, then if fans want to go early to see the pregame stuff, they can. Right now, you show up before 7:00 and you never know exactly what time kickoff will be - depends on pregame ceremonies, etc.
    The TSN deal did some good things for the league but I think TSN is dictating the late start times.

They put the game in 3 hour slots and they want it to last that long so they don’t typically do kickoff until around 15 minutes past the start time.

I got a kick out of the season opener in Hamilton which started at 5:03 because TSN wanted the game done as fast as possible to lessen the overlap with the Raptors at 7:00.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    You didn't need to have entertainment for your kids for three hours 25 years ago. The games were closer to 2.5 hours than 3. If a game is scheduled to start at 7:00 it should start at 7:01 not 7:08.
    Can we ditch the anthem too?
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Can we ditch the anthem too?
    I've been in favour of this for years. It's worse at hockey games obviously when they do the US anthem as well.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden