Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 CFL Gameday Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 CFL Gameday Thread

This isn't good. If Toronto, Montreal, and BC are really as bad as they appear to be this early, that does not bode well for the league. Those are three cities currently with attendance problems, and with the most other attractions competing against them for entertainment dollars. As fun as it is to poke fun of the Argos, we need them.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

It's hard to believe that Franklin was the heir apparent to Reilly at one point. I wonder what happened...dude has potential...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

We put way too much faith into the apparent on-field performance of QB's as an independent measure of their quality. Reilly became a star when Maas brought his system over from Ottawa. It's early days yet, but so far after he left that system, Reilly isn't nearly the QB he was. Franklin was part of that system too, as were Bowman, Walker, Duke, etc. Outside of that system, maybe they're genuinely top talents...or maybe the rising water was floating all the boats.

It's what cmbuk's been saying...trust the system.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    This isn't good. If Toronto, Montreal, and BC are really as bad as they appear to be this early, that does not bode well for the league. Those are three cities currently with attendance problems, and with the most other attractions competing against them for entertainment dollars. As fun as it is to poke fun of the Argos, we need them.
    It’s like you read my mind.

vCash

I'm not yet sure if Mtl belongs in the concerning list yet - we've only seen them in week 1, and they held their own, for the most part, with the Esks.

One of the commonalities to BC, Toronto, and Mtl is a fairly significant change to the coaching staffs. To Glen's (and cmbuk's) point, while players can be enhanced by a system, they can be held back when adjusting to one. Depends on one's patience how long you give to determine if it is just an adjustment period, whether the system isn't a fit for the personnel, or whether the personnel isn't deep enough/talented enough... or whether the coaching staff isn't up to snuff.

I agree with the point that we need success in those markets, and it's tough to expect patience from markets already struggling... but that is football. I questioned from early on why BC was shown so much favour from the oddsmakers - I believe in Hervey's ability to build out a winner, and I think that Claybrooks is likely to be a very good HC, but coaching changes upon personnel changes upon culture changes - it has to take time!

I expected much more from the Argos in their first appearance and want to see how they bounce back against the Riders next week.

vCash

Why isn't Masoli getting a penalty for giving a head shot?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Why isn't Masoli getting a penalty for giving a head shot?
    I wonder the same... hell he was even praised for the hit by tsn

vCash

When an offensive player does it, they are being tough. But when a defensive player does it, they are playing dirty.

It’s never been harder to play defence in football then it is today, North or south of the border.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I'm not yet sure if Mtl belongs in the concerning list yet - we've only seen them in week 1, and they held their own, for the most part, with the Esks.

One of the commonalities to BC, Toronto, and Mtl is a fairly significant change to the coaching staffs. To Glen's (and cmbuk's) point, while players can be enhanced by a system, they can be held back when adjusting to one. Depends on one's patience how long you give to determine if it is just an adjustment period, whether the system isn't a fit for the personnel, or whether the personnel isn't deep enough/talented enough... or whether the coaching staff isn't up to snuff.

I agree with the point that we need success in those markets, and it's tough to expect patience from markets already struggling... but that is football. I questioned from early on why BC was shown so much favour from the oddsmakers - I believe in Hervey's ability to build out a winner, and I think that Claybrooks is likely to be a very good HC, but coaching changes upon personnel changes upon culture changes - it has to take time!

I expected much more from the Argos in their first appearance and want to see how they bounce back against the Riders next week.
    We had like 200 yds in penalties and turned it over multiple times. We should have killed montreal. they get killed by hamilton and hamilton turned it over as well. Montreal is awful.

vCash

Montreal is bad, but there is potential there. They've got playmakers on O they just need a legit QB. Perhaps a couple people on D will help. I admit i haven't studied their defensive roster but I feel theres some good players on there.

I feel Toronto may be worse.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Montreal is bad, but there is potential there. They've got playmakers on O they just need a legit QB. Perhaps a couple people on D will help. I admit i haven't studied their defensive roster but I feel theres some good players on there.

I feel Toronto may be worse.
    Who? Other than their running back whom is pretty good who on their offence scares a team?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

BJ Cunningham.
    DeVier Posey.
    Stanback maybe? He was alright last year for them.

Edit: oopsies just realized you’re probably talking about Stanback in your post. So, yes, him!

vCash

lol what a phantom PI call on cgy to setup BC on the 1yd line.

at a certain point I just want to let em play sometimes...…..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    BJ Cunningham.
    DeVier Posey.
    Stanback maybe? He was alright last year for them.

Edit: oopsies just realized you’re probably talking about Stanback in your post. So, yes, him!
    yeah Cunningham and Posey are ok I'll give you that. I really like Stanback
    In Rod we trust

vCash

am i the only one that wants Reilly to lose even though its vs CGY?

vCash

nonononononono!!!!!!!!! love it.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

and I thought I was so smart changing my pool pick to BC winning an hour before kick off...oy
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Alright, partly tongue in cheek, but I'll say it:

Arbuckle's at least as good as Mitchell.

vCash

0-3 looks good on Reilly & Hervey....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Mike looked a little frustrated out there (and especially during the half-time interview). The Lions are certainly a work in progress. Just like the Eskimos a couple nights earlier, the Lions shot themselves in the foot. Should have been a win for them.

BC plays at Toronto next week. Depending on how things go with the Argos on Canada Day, that could be two very hungry football clubs.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Couldn’t help but notice that the Stamps were in a very similar situation as the Esks were on Thursday. They went the conventional route and they won the game.

They went for the touchdown, knowing that it would take extra time forcing an onside kick. They made a play on the onside kick. And just like that, they were in position to possibly win the game instead of just tie it and go to overtime. And they did just that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Lucky for them they have Toronto next

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, partly tongue in cheek, but I'll say it:

Arbuckle's at least as good as Mitchell.
    Has their been a update on Mitchell? Wasn’t he still in uniform at the end of the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    am i the only one that wants Reilly to lose even though its vs CGY?

One of these games where whomever wins it’s gonna suck!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Couldn’t help but notice that the Stamps were in a very similar situation as the Esks were on Thursday. They went the conventional route and they won the game.

They went for the touchdown, knowing that it would take extra time forcing an onside kick. They made a play on the onside kick. And just like that, they were in position to possibly win the game instead of just tie it and go to overtime. And they did just that.
    Any time you choose an option that requires you to win an onside kick over one that doesn't, you're going to lose more often than you win. Stamps got very lucky last night.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Has their been a update on Mitchell? Wasn’t he still in uniform at the end of the game?
    I'd like to hear about this too. Would have taken wild horses to drag Reilly out of the game in a similar situation; Bo came out pretty quick. Not sure which is better.

vCash

Any time you choose an option that requires you to win an onside kick over one that doesn't, you're going to lose more often than you win. Stamps got very lucky last night.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to hear about this too. Would have taken wild horses to drag Reilly out of the game in a similar situation; Bo came out pretty quick. Not sure which is better.
    And yet, Maas has tried this ploy twice now and is 0-2. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that the Stamps chose the aggressive path and then their players made a bunch of plays, while the Esks chose the passive path and then their receivers all got the dropsies at the same time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Who? Other than their running back whom is pretty good who on their offence scares a team?
    Posey, Logan, Lewis ( I think he has huge potential) and a lesser extent BJ cunningham

vCash

And yet, Maas has tried this ploy twice now and is 0-2. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that the Stamps chose the aggressive path and then their players made a bunch of plays, while the Esks chose the passive path and then their receivers all got the dropsies at the same time.
    I think it is a coincidence. You need a lot more than n=1 to make the case based on the Stamps result. And the reason the Esks lost was the receiver dropsies for sure. That had nothing to do with the playcalling. Maas put them in a position to pull the game out, and they blew it. They're professionals, that's on them.

Do you think, with our "special" teams, that we would have recovered an onside kick? I'd put our chances at 1 in 20. (Stamps, maybe 1 in 10.)

vCash

So the receivers dropped the ball - how is this Maas' fault ?? They hold on to the ball I think we win. Still not Maas' fault.

vCash

So the receivers dropped the ball - how is this Maas' fault ?? They hold on to the ball I think we win. Still not Maas' fault.
    Exactly...

vCash

Coach's job is to put their players in a position to win - whether by gut feel, playing the percentages or a combination. Maas, like you say, did that. I don't believe for one moment that he messed with the psyche of his players with the moves he made - unfortunately, they were unable to execute physically.

Credit to the Cgy coaching staff - both for the play-calling with Arbuckle down the stretch, keeping the players believing when it was a two-score game late, the calls they made strategically, and to Killam for the onside kick call (going 20 yds + downfield was bold). Even with everything they did, the Lions are likely looking at this as a total collapse - both with the late drives and with defending the onside kick.

vCash

I think it is a coincidence. You need a lot more than n=1 to make the case based on the Stamps result. And the reason the Esks lost was the receiver dropsies for sure. That had nothing to do with the playcalling. Maas put them in a position to pull the game out, and they blew it. They're professionals, that's on them.

Do you think, with our "special" teams, that we would have recovered an onside kick? I'd put our chances at 1 in 20. (Stamps, maybe 1 in 10.)
    Maas put them into a position to go to overtime. Unless you believe they would have gone for 2.

Esks could’ve taken two shots at the end zone and only burned 15 seconds off. Still plenty of time to kick it deep.