Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 CFL Gameday Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 CFL Gameday Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    and remember when we thought James Franklin was going to be a dynamic QB? Not saying he can't be but...
    WE never thought that. I said he was over rated from the start. He did nothing to earn all the hype EE fans had for him.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I would always go for 2, on every TD, except in unique situations near the end of a game (like Calgary going ahead by 4 on their last TD last night). I can't believe most coaches haven't figured this out. I'll take a 60% chance to get 2 points over an 85% chance to get 1 every time!
    Shouldn't even be a second thought. Go for the two.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    WE never thought that. I said he was over rated from the start. He did nothing to earn all the hype EE fans had for him.
    He threw 12 TD passes and had one interception when he was with the Eskimos. The team had a winning record with him as the starting QB in 2015. His career completion rate with the Eskimos was 68%. I would hardly call that nothing.

vCash

I seem to recall some on this site suggesting that we should have traded Reilly and extended Franklin when he was set to become a free agent. It was a small group of people, but that speaks volumes about the potential people saw in him. I still think he has it in him, but I think it needs to be the right situation for him to get his mojo back; same thing with Johnathon Jennings. Having said that, if Bethel-Thompson steps in and takes control of that Argo offense, we all may have over-valued Franklin, myself included.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I seem to recall some on this site suggesting that we should have traded Reilly and extended Franklin when he was set to become a free agent. It was a small group of people, but that speaks volumes about the potential people saw in him. I still think he has it in him, but I think it needs to be the right situation for him to get his mojo back; same thing with Johnathon Jennings. Having said that, if Bethel-Thompson steps in and takes control of that Argo offense, we all may have over-valued Franklin, myself included.
    I’d take him back tomorrow...
    Jason works magic... he’s the qb whisperer.. franklin seems to work just fine in our system..

I would take him back in a heartbeat

vCash
    Blog Entries

System or no the sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while. Franklin hasn't thrown a TD in his last 10 starts? (Not sure if that's correct or not, but heard something like that on the broadcast last night) Surely he'd have been able to find SOMEone in the endzone? All of his TD's are rushing. I don't think I'd want him back. As much as I liked Mike here...the way things went down it feels like karma is biting his ass right now.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Credit to the Cgy coaching staff - both for the play-calling with Arbuckle down the stretch, keeping the players believing when it was a two-score game late, the calls they made strategically, and to Killam for the onside kick call (going 20 yds + downfield was bold). Even with everything they did, the Lions are likely looking at this as a total collapse - both with the late drives and with defending the onside kick.
    IMO, Killam is the best ST coach in the league and that was a stellar call to go downfield as far as they did.

Also wanted to mention that it was nice to see John White looking a bit more like the John White of old but wow was it disappointing to see his effort on the last fumble by Reilly in the final minute...
    Last edited by stamphater; 07-02-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

I would say they were able to take advantage of the wind on that kick as well. Hanging the ball in the air.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    It just seems like his confidence is shot to me. I get a deer in the headlights feel from watching him play sometimes. He has no swagger like a Reilly or a Mitchell but that's just a product of his personality. He's a lot more laid back which reminds me more of Ricky Ray so that personality type can work in a leadership role but it just seems rare in a QB. The take charge personalities seem a lot more successful. He has all the physical tools that's for sure it's just a question of whether he'll find a situation to put it all together. I wouldn't give up on him just yet as some QBs take a few years. Calvillo and Masoli jump quickly to mind.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    IMO, Killam is the best ST coach in the league and that was a stellar call to go downfield as far as they did.

Also wanted to mention that it was nice to see John White looking a bit more like the John White of old but wow was it disappointing to see his effort on the last fumble by Reilly in the final minute...
    I’ll give bc coaching staff a ton of credit.. (I didn’t google the stats ) but bcs plan to hit white on swing pass after swing pass as the hot to avoid the pressure from Calgary was bloody good. And u would think that was put in place mainly for our matchup .. as u can see them using that same method to spare reilly more poundage in next weekend..

Getting white in space and at speed is always a good plan.. I’m impressed with how he’s really running hard after his injury..
    as I said I didn’t see the stats for bc game but he must have had 60 yards rec

Eskimos will have to be conscious of that swing next week

vCash

White had 14 carries for 64 yards, 9 catches for 87 yards.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    It just seems like his confidence is shot to me. I get a deer in the headlights feel from watching him play sometimes. He has no swagger like a Reilly or a Mitchell but that's just a product of his personality. He's a lot more laid back which reminds me more of Ricky Ray so that personality type can work in a leadership role but it just seems rare in a QB. The take charge personalities seem a lot more successful. He has all the physical tools that's for sure it's just a question of whether he'll find a situation to put it all together. I wouldn't give up on him just yet as some QBs take a few years. Calvillo and Masoli jump quickly to mind.
    I was amazed at the number of plays where Argo players were asking JF to repeat the play call or what their pattern was. How can that be a winning mind set?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I’ll give bc coaching staff a ton of credit.. (I didn’t google the stats ) but bcs plan to hit white on swing pass after swing pass as the hot to avoid the pressure from Calgary was bloody good. And u would think that was put in place mainly for our matchup .. as u can see them using that same method to spare reilly more poundage in next weekend..

Getting white in space and at speed is always a good plan.. I’m impressed with how he’s really running hard after his injury..
    as I said I didn’t see the stats for bc game but he must have had 60 yards rec

Eskimos will have to be conscious of that swing next week
    I'll give their offensive coaching staff credit but their defence? How many times did Rogers burn Grymes when there was no safety help on the same pattern

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    With his college pedigree no you don't give up on him but I think they might need to simplify the offence if possible. Honestly that whole Toronto team just looks...off
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    He threw 12 TD passes and had one interception when he was with the Eskimos. The team had a winning record with him as the starting QB in 2015. His career completion rate with the Eskimos was 68%. I would hardly call that nothing.
    Does anyone subscribe to the concept that sometime physically gifted newcomers start off on fire because they don't know any better? They're essentially going in with very little pressure, they're not over-thinking things, and they're just letting it rip. The more they get into it, the more the responsibility grows and the pressure mounts, and the more they have to understand, while taking on off-field leadership duties at the same time, which might not come naturally.

I would kind of put Streveler in the same boat for now (smaller sample size, but impressive early results based on physical skill and intellect), and there were plenty, this off-season, that had him high on the list of targets the Esks should be eyeing. I expect that he'll have a solid CFL career if he has patience, but it won't likely be without some bumps along the road.

Fajardo, Davis and Arbuckle have all flashed very well in recent weeks. It's a little easier to believe it in Fajardo and Davis, that have put in the dues learning the game, but in a very small sample size, Arbuckle certainly looks legit. That's not to ordain anyone, but more so to illustrate that there can be a real difference between stepping in to fill a void and being handed the reigns and told that the team is yours, good luck.

With JF, I don't feel he was given too much too soon. I do think he had the wrong coach - which is surprising, as Trestman has been known as the right coach for a lot of QBs over the years - and that his confidence was sapped. I think he's still working to get it back fully, and like an athlete returning from injury, I don't think it's something you trust in for quite awhile.

vCash

Masoli with his 5th pick thrown already this year. Tried to force that one.

vCash

Thomas Erlington and his 1 rush for 0 yards isn’t quite what I was looking for in fantasy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Thomas Erlington and his 1 rush for 0 yards isn’t quite what I was looking for in fantasy
    misery loves company
    In Rod we trust

vCash

that Quan Bray has been very impressive tonight
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Oh my gosh, want Montréal to win so badly!!! Not going to feel good about this until they’re up by 5 possessions though....

vCash

Just turned it on and almost fell over when I saw the score! Really glad this is in Montreal.

vCash
    Blog Entries

What is up with whatshisbutt retiring tonight? If you were going to retire you probably knew before the season started. Why waste someone else’s chance to go in? Just seems weird.

vCash

Stanback, this week's CFL player of the week. 200 yards on the ground, 50 in the air...still 7 minutes left.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    What is up with whatshisbutt retiring tonight? If you were going to retire you probably knew before the season started. Why waste someone else’s chance to go in? Just seems weird.
    think he was an emergency back up...but what do i know

- - - Updated - - -

Stanback, this week's CFL player of the week. 200 yards on the ground, 50 in the air...still 7 minutes left.
    I had him on my fantasy team... till i got cold feet and put Hammys RB in - who promptly got injured

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    think he was an emergency back up...but what do i know

- - - Updated - - -

I had him on my fantasy team... till i got cold feet and put Hammys RB in - who promptly got injured
    OMG I did the exact same thing lolol
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Nooooo!! 43 fantasy points so far if my math is correct....

vCash

Over 300 yards in penalties in this game... really hard for this game to keep any momentum.

And BTW, no one will notice because of the "conventional choice", but Hamilton was down by ten points, driving with a couple of minutes left, did NOT take the "Maas quick field goal" strategy. Kept trying to drive, got stuck. Ran the clock down to 1:02 left before they had to kick a FG anyway. They were forced into an onside kick, and missed it of course. Result: Hamilton never gave themselves a chance to win.

The result is so familiar, happens so often, we just never notice it's a bad choice.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Wondering if the rest of the week's games are going to be as unpredictable as this one. Other than the slow downs due to penalties it was a fun one to watch.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Over 300 yards in penalties in this game... really hard for this game to keep any momentum.

And BTW, no one will notice because of the "conventional choice", but Hamilton was down by ten points, driving with a couple of minutes left, did NOT take the "Maas quick field goal" strategy. Kept trying to drive, got stuck. Ran the clock down to 1:02 left before they had to kick a FG anyway. They were forced into an onside kick, and missed it of course. Result: Hamilton never gave themselves a chance to win.

The result is so familiar, happens so often, we just never notice it's a bad choice.
    179 penalty yds for Hammy tonight. Wonder how their fans will react to that?
    Also, the Erlington injury looks to be fairly serious....

vCash

I'm not sure why the Ticats were going nuts on the short kick recovery attempt. It was pretty clear that after contacting the ball Frey landed out of bounds. As per the CFL Rule Book 2019:

Article 8 — Gaining Possession On A Kickoff
    On a kickoff, a player who catches the ball must come down in bounds to gain possession. If the player was the last to touch the ball, either he or the ball must come down in bounds for possession to be awarded.

vCash

I was unaware that the CFL had changed the roughing the kicker rules where now you can’t touch the punter even if you do block the kick.

Won’t that make it damn near impossible to block a punt? If you’re in a position to get your hands on the ball, your momentum will almost always take you through the kicker.