Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 CFL Gameday Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 CFL Gameday Thread

Yup, pretty much. Was thinking the same thing. You'd have to come from the side, and you'd never get there in time.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Over 300 yards in penalties in this game... really hard for this game to keep any momentum.

And BTW, no one will notice because of the "conventional choice", but Hamilton was down by ten points, driving with a couple of minutes left, did NOT take the "Maas quick field goal" strategy. Kept trying to drive, got stuck. Ran the clock down to 1:02 left before they had to kick a FG anyway. They were forced into an onside kick, and missed it of course. Result: Hamilton never gave themselves a chance to win.

The result is so familiar, happens so often, we just never notice it's a bad choice.
    I noticed that as well and was curious to see how it was going to play out. The Als winning at home was good for the league, it seemed like the atmosphere was pretty cool in there at the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I was unaware that the CFL had changed the roughing the kicker rules where now you can’t touch the punter even if you do block the kick.

Won’t that make it damn near impossible to block a punt? If you’re in a position to get your hands on the ball, your momentum will almost always take you through the kicker.
    Only way to block a kick now is to have the kicker fumble the ball or to dive cross body...... very tough to do.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I can see why a change would be made for player safety. The kicker is still vulnerable to injury if you take his knees out whether you touch the ball or not.

I was unaware of that change as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I noticed that as well and was curious to see how it was going to play out. The Als winning at home was good for the league, it seemed like the atmosphere was pretty cool in there at the end of the game.

Only way to block a kick now is to have the kicker fumble the ball or to dive cross body...... very tough to do.
    Not to mention I think they've found the player people can rally around in Stanback

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I can see why a change would be made for player safety. The kicker is still vulnerable to injury if you take his knees out whether you touch the ball or not.

I was unaware of that change as well.
    I was too and I get it but it's going to make blocking a kick nearly impossible
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Over 300 yards in penalties in this game... really hard for this game to keep any momentum.

And BTW, no one will notice because of the "conventional choice", but Hamilton was down by ten points, driving with a couple of minutes left, did NOT take the "Maas quick field goal" strategy. Kept trying to drive, got stuck. Ran the clock down to 1:02 left before they had to kick a FG anyway. They were forced into an onside kick, and missed it of course. Result: Hamilton never gave themselves a chance to win.

The result is so familiar, happens so often, we just never notice it's a bad choice.
    I was watching for the same thing as it was going down. I think a factor though was that they weren't into real high FG percentage range (ie less than 40) until they were already inside two minutes, but it was really close.

I think Maas theory is basically kick the field goal before the 2 minute mark as long as it is less than 40 yards, though I suspect if they are 20 yards of a score he may take one shot at the end zone. Last week's situation had the danger of if they went for the one shot and sack or holding call happens, then they burn 20 seconds or or may be out of field goal range (or at least difficult field goal range).

Ironically in this Hamilton game we saw just that. They tried to force, got a bit closer than got a holding call and basically killed the drive. Their best shot at it was likely was a 43 yard attempt at 1:57 or a 36 yard attempt at 1:45. Instead they kicked it at 1:03. Considering Montreal was punting at mid-field with 53 seconds to go, had they just went for the field goal from 43 or 36, they wouldn't have had to go onside, they could very well have been facing an opportunity to have Montreal kicking from around their 30 instead with about 90 seconds on the clock. I like those odds much better than the odds that they needed getting an onside kick or a punt block without contact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Wondering if the rest of the week's games are going to be as unpredictable as this one. Other than the slow downs due to penalties it was a fun one to watch.
    It was a perfect PVR game as I could skip all that crap, but I would have been frustrated watching that live as it took forever to call in the penalties. I'm detecting a trend with this Al Bradbury games.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Not to mention I think they've found the player people can rally around in Stanback
    That last TD of his, where he hurdles the defender, may go down as the play of the year.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Wondering if the rest of the week's games are going to be as unpredictable as this one. Other than the slow downs due to penalties it was a fun one to watch.
    It was an Al Bradbury-reffed game; you already knew there were going to be a ton of penalties before it started.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I'm not sure why the Ticats were going nuts on the short kick recovery attempt. It was pretty clear that after contacting the ball Frey landed out of bounds. As per the CFL Rule Book 2019:

Article 8 Gaining Possession On A Kickoff
    On a kickoff, a player who catches the ball must come down in bounds to gain possession. If the player was the last to touch the ball, either he or the ball must come down in bounds for possession to be awarded.
    When I saw the replay it looked as though the Hamilton player was already out of bounds when he touched the ball....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    When I saw the replay it looked as though the Hamilton player was already out of bounds when he touched the ball....
    He actually stepped out before he touched the ball
    #PizStrong

vCash

I agree that he did appear to step out before touching the ball. The Hamilton sideline was going ballistic and if they knew the rule they should have know there was no way that he got possession of the ball.

vCash

I agree that he did appear to step out before touching the ball. The Hamilton sideline was going ballistic and if they knew the rule they should have know there was no way that he got possession of the ball.
    Yeah, it was obviously not their ball on several accounts. Kudos to the effort as he almost got there on both that play and the block two plays later, but as they say close only counts in horseshoes or hand grenades.

I think it is a coincidence. You need a lot more than n=1 to make the case based on the Stamps result. And the reason the Esks lost was the receiver dropsies for sure. That had nothing to do with the playcalling. Maas put them in a position to pull the game out, and they blew it. They're professionals, that's on them.

Do you think, with our "special" teams, that we would have recovered an onside kick? I'd put our chances at 1 in 20. (Stamps, maybe 1 in 10.)
    In addition to having to defy the odds and win an onside kick, T-BONE's strategy would also have required the Esks to find a way to score two TD's in two minutes in a game where the Bombers had held them out of the end-zone all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post

I noticed that too, it looked like a ton of fun in there last night.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    In addition to having to defy the odds and win an onside kick, T-BONE's strategy would also have required the Esks to find a way to score two TD's in two minutes in a game where the Bombers had held them out of the end-zone all night.
    As much as I would love to take credit for my strategy, it’s actually the strategy that every single coach in the history of football has done except for Maas. I’ve also said numerous times that “my” strategy has no onside kick. It was first down with over 2 minutes left, only takes 15 seconds to take two shots at the end zone.

Maas’s strategy only would’ve got them to overtime. So they likely would’ve still needed to score 2 touchdowns against the Bombers D anyway.
    Last edited by T-BONE; 07-05-2019 at 05:33 PM.

vCash

As much as I would love to take credit for my strategy, it’s actually the strategy that every single coach in the history of football has done except for Maas. I’ve also said numerous times that “my” strategy has no onside kick. It was first down with over 2 minutes left, only takes 15 seconds to take two shots at the end zone.

Maas’s strategy only would’ve got them to overtime. So they likely would’ve still needed to score 2 touchdowns against the Bombers D anyway.
    Certainly it's the traditional approach, but I don't think many have considered Maas' approach until recent times. 100 % I disagreed with it when he did it in the Western Final, but the last two times he did, it makes a little sense.

Yes Calgary pulled it off last week, but what are the percentages on onside kick recovery (when the other team expects it). Maybe 10%, 20% at most. Then if you recover, you still need to move the ball for at least one or two first downs to try the field goal. So the odds are even less.

Whereas what are the odds of making a team go 2 and out or even with the amount of time he goes for it, holding a team to just one first down gives enough time to give it a try.

Maas hasn't pulled it off yet, but really the play calls last week were good enough that it probably should have worked.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be upset if he went back to the conventional approach as going for the win installs a certain killer instinct into a team that you want, but I can totally understand why he's trying it.

I'd venture to say that if they were down by 9 instead of 10, it is probably the better idea, as it still allows them to "go for the win". But I can see the argument both ways when down 10.

But the "conventional strategy" isn't always the best one just because it's conventional, the 2 point convert is a good example of that. You say it would only take 15 seconds off the clock, but that's best case scenario and assumes you don't get picked, sacked, fumble take a penalty etc. With the way Whyte was kicking, and the way the D was playing, I liked our chances of getting the points and the ball back with plenty of time and sure enough, that's how it played out.

To be clear I probably wouldn't have been upset if he decided to go the conventional route, but in that situation I have no problem with going outside the box a little.

vCash

It’s calls like that that feed the Canadian Mafia narrative. Offensive PI my ass.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I noticed that too, it looked like a ton of fun in there last night.
    a pretty good looking crowd i might add... heh

vCash

Missed the first half of the Friday nighter - Bombers up 15-4, so I guess Ottawa is still in it.
    Go Redblacks.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Missed the first half of the Friday nighter - Bombers up 15-4, so I guess Ottawa is still in it.
    Go Redblacks.
    They've got Davis confused
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Welp, I’m checking out. Was expecting a good game tonight but this ones a dud.

vCash

Welp, I’m checking out. Was expecting a good game tonight but this ones a dud.
    Double header tomorrow - should be fun!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    They've got Davis confused
    Maybe Jennings gets in if they can't move the ball?

vCash

Why the delay on a play that is already reviewed?

vCash

didn't think that was a fumble
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Langford is awful. At football.

I should say based on this game and his decision making.
    Last edited by Esks1975; 07-06-2019 at 09:58 AM.

vCash

Why did Ottawa not challenge that play, it was close enough that the returner may have touched the ball last rather than the punter.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Why did Ottawa not challenge that play, it was close enough that the returner may have touched the ball last rather than the punter.
    I believe all turnovers are automatically reviewed by the command centre, so to challenge it would be redundant.

vCash

I believe all turnovers are automatically reviewed by the command centre, so to challenge it would be redundant.
    didnt stop O'shea.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    didnt stop O'shea.
    Yes. If my interpretation of the review system is correct, it was a wasted challenge on his part - since they would have automatically reviewed it for both the turnover and the score.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-06-2019 at 02:06 PM.