Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 2019 CFL Gameday Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 CFL Gameday Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    In all fairness to him, at least he’s into the game & showing some ?passion, unlike Duron who is so obviously apathetic & couldn’t care less. Notice how he is not really an active part of the O.

That missed FG at the end was so anti-climactic. 71 that got the penalty on the first (made) attempt was completely devastated. Rainey - who always steps back when he fields a kick/punt - shouldn’t have done it that time!
    I didn’t even realize it was Rainey out there - because what it looked like was that the player didn’t know he had to run forward & thought he could go backwards out of the end zone.
    Since the league has different rules on kicks inside the three minute warning, does anyone else think teams should be able to decline giving the rouge inside the three minute warning in exchange for fielding the ball somewhere prohibitive such as the 5 yard line. Or perhaps make that an option at any point in the game.

vCash

In all fairness to him, at least he’s into the game & showing some ?passion, unlike Duron who is so obviously apathetic & couldn’t care less. Notice how he is not really an active part of the O.

That missed FG at the end was so anti-climactic. 71 that got the penalty on the first (made) attempt was completely devastated. Rainey - who always steps back when he fields a kick/punt - shouldn’t have done it that time!
    I didn’t even realize it was Rainey out there - because what it looked like was that the player didn’t know he had to run forward & thought he could go backwards out of the end zone.
    I presume that most folks were, like me, between skeptical and outright non-believers in Carter, despite saying all the right things in the off-season about being excited to play with Reilly. Even with Burnham being out, and Reilly loving to throw the deep balls, there seemed to be no trust for throwing up 50/50 balls - you've got to believe that the guy will be there and well-positioned, but also that he'll go up and make the play. Carter seems ideally suited for that physically - don't know if it's a 10 cent head or what. Ironic that on the mic'd up from the prior week, he was smack-talking the Stamps guys about being system players.

I guess it would be a consolation that Edwards is caring about things, but from the outside, his behaviour has worn thin for me. That SAM/Nickle position is a tough one to hold if you're not consistently bringing more positives than negatives, and I'm not convinced that his ledger is consistent enough that way longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Since the league has different rules on kicks inside the three minute warning, does anyone else think teams should be able to decline giving the rouge inside the three minute warning in exchange for fielding the ball somewhere prohibitive such as the 5 yard line. Or perhaps make that an option at any point in the game.
    I kind of like the concept. It's always been the great white whale of the CFL... what if a team wins on a missed FG - for all the talk, it rarely happens. As much as it can lead to very exciting, unique CFL plays like the kick-in-kick-out, and I'd hate to see those end, it is unfulfilling to see a game winning rouge that way. I would propose the amendment that you just can't score a rouge in the last three minutes by kicking the ball out of the endzone. It would force an element like the coffin corner, where you're trying to essentially pin the returner in the endzone. I can see rewarding the cover team for not letting the return out across the goal-line, even with the missed kick, but kicking it through he endzone, by a foot or 20 rows, doesn't really allow the kicking team to succeed in any element of the play to earn the point.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I presume that most folks were, like me, between skeptical and outright non-believers in Carter, despite saying all the right things in the off-season about being excited to play with Reilly. Even with Burnham being out, and Reilly loving to throw the deep balls, there seemed to be no trust for throwing up 50/50 balls - you've got to believe that the guy will be there and well-positioned, but also that he'll go up and make the play. Carter seems ideally suited for that physically - don't know if it's a 10 cent head or what. Ironic that on the mic'd up from the prior week, he was smack-talking the Stamps guys about being system players.

I guess it would be a consolation that Edwards is caring about things, but from the outside, his behaviour has worn thin for me. That SAM/Nickle position is a tough one to hold if you're not consistently bringing more positives than negatives, and I'm not convinced that his ledger is consistent enough that way longer term.

I kind of like the concept. It's always been the great white whale of the CFL... what if a team wins on a missed FG - for all the talk, it rarely happens. As much as it can lead to very exciting, unique CFL plays like the kick-in-kick-out, and I'd hate to see those end, it is unfulfilling to see a game winning rouge that way. I would propose the amendment that you just can't score a rouge in the last three minutes by kicking the ball out of the endzone. It would force an element like the coffin corner, where you're trying to essentially pin the returner in the endzone. I can see rewarding the cover team for not letting the return out across the goal-line, even with the missed kick, but kicking it through he endzone, by a foot or 20 rows, doesn't really allow the kicking team to succeed in any element of the play to earn the point.
    Your proposal has my blessing (not that its needed) as it could still create a potential entertaining end to the game as the return team does what they can to get out of the endzone.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

Question: I thought if the mussed FG went through the endzone that it is zero points. Is that not the case?

vCash

Question: I thought if the mussed FG went through the endzone that it is zero points. Is that not the case?
    no just kickoffs
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    no just kickoffs
    Correct.

We've seen teams try to hammer it to get it out of the back of the endzone, debate whether to punt for the single rather than line up for a FG, angle to try and get it out of bounds on the side of the endzone... a few years ago now, I think we even lined up in FG formation with the intent of trying to kick it out of bounds at the side of the endzone and there was a debate whether that qualified as a missed FG attempt as obviously there was no real attempt to make it.

vCash

Thanks guys!

vCash

I'd love to see #6 happen tonight!
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Bombers get a KR return for a TD to start the game.
    Who is the Argos ST Coordinator again?
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-13-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

This is getting bloody... 21-0 in the first quarter.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

How does Cory McDiarmid I’ve a job? Me oh my...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

28-0, four minutes into the second quarter.

I can't watch, but I can't turn away either.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    28-0, four minutes into the second quarter.

I can't watch, but I can't turn away either.
    they got them right where they want them....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Man when do we get to play Toronto....

vCash

Argos leading in time of possession...the Bombers can't keep their offense on the field, they just score too quickly

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    How does Cory McDiarmid I’ve a job? Me oh my...
    What a useless tit of a coach. I don’t understand how this clown keeps getting hired in this league.....

vCash

37-6. At halftime.

That's a wrap for me.

Third game in a row with a margin of 27+ points.

vCash

East is garbage again.

vCash

Honestly, other than Esks, Bombers, and maybe Stamps, who isn't? Hammy?

vCash

McDiarmid and Chamblin are such a mess in Toronto. Yikes on many levels there.

vCash

wtf was that O'Shea running up the score is classless in any league
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Stay Klassy Bombers.

vCash

Did it look like there was no head coaches shaking hands at the end?

vCash

You don't want your opponent to run up the score on you, then stop them.

vCash

Exactly!!!! I always told my athletes that if you dont like the feeling of losing or how they act when they win, then work a little harder as your effort and attitude is the only thing you can control.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    wtf was that O'Shea running up the score is classless in any league
    Except weren’t they running plays for pretty much the rest of the game? What should Strevler have done there? Go down?
    I’d agree with you if the Bombers kept throwing for TD’s but they ran that last one in. Toronto’s D just had given up at that point.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I have to say I really liked how Edwards acted after getting his TD. No showboating, just tossed the ball to the ref and came back to line up for point after.
    And there was much rejoicing... yaayyy....

Yeah, these are grown men playing a professional sport, if they get hurt feelings that easily, they should probably find a different profession.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Except weren’t they running plays for pretty much the rest of the game? What should Strevler have done there? Go down?
    I’d agree with you if the Bombers kept throwing for TD’s but they ran that last one in. Toronto’s D just had given up at that point.
    38 seconds left run a dive or take a knee I don't blame Streveler I blame the coach for calling that play
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I don't think you would have seen Hugh Campbell running that play with 38 seconds left.