Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos vs. Lions; The Return of Mike

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Eskimos vs. Lions; The Return of Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    With phantom injuries to guys like Daniels, Bazzie and Orange, I believe this has to partly be a result of roster games and trying to make all the salaries fit under the cap.

Like the O going in this week, but didn't get any of the help on D I was hoping for. Oh well, lets see what these guys are made of.
    I agree with all these phantom injuries ,it just doesn't seem possible for all these so called injuries year after year after year and we continue to lead the CFfL in man games lost ,that or there is something wrong with our training or fiel.Its actually getting a little sickening

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    With phantom injuries to guys like Daniels, Bazzie and Orange, I believe this has to partly be a result of roster games and trying to make all the salaries fit under the cap.

Like the O going in this week, but didn't get any of the help on D I was hoping for. Oh well, lets see what these guys are made of.
    Orange is six gamed. That must be some phantom injury!

vCash

might be some truth to SMS dealings.......

and lol@ Colquhoun .

i dont get it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Were there ever any reports of him missing or leaving practice this week? I haven't heard any.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    might be some truth to SMS dealings.......

and lol@ Colquhoun .

i dont get it lol.
    Colquhoun is on the roster, just behind Onyeka. Does this speak to Arjen injury issues or Onyekas progression? Without the game film its tough to tell.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Colquhoun is on the roster, just behind Onyeka. Does this speak to Arjen injury issues or Onyekas progression? Without the game film its tough to tell.
    yes, i guess im assuming a little... but i would err on the side of a combination of both...could play if needed, so hes not on IL, but hes a little nicked (as usual) and Onyeka didnt disappoint.

vCash

Yeah exactly. Gets the game clinching interception, so six-game him to save cap. I'm pretty sure they'd rather field the team that gives them the best chance to win.

I could see the games with some lesser players to have some depth, but Orange and Unamba are likely real injuries.
    Last edited by bone; 06-20-2019 at 01:59 PM.

vCash

Certainly six-game IR players help with the SMS, but one-game players (like Bazzie) do not. Perhaps with all the math involved in running a team nowadays, glenvb can get a job as a GM

Didn't Calgary have more man games lost to injury than us last year? Or was it just their receivers that took a huge hit on the IR?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Certainly six-game IR players help with the SMS, but one-game players (like Bazzie) do not. Perhaps with all the math involved in running a team nowadays, glenvb can get a job as a GM

Didn't Calgary have more man games lost to injury than us last year? Or was it just their receivers that took a huge hit on the IR?
    Don't remember the exact numbers but the second half was much better for the Esks last year than the first half.

vCash

I hate to say it but I was excited a fair amount for this season but these rash of injuries to people I wanted to see has really zapped my excitement. Combined with the less than stellar game day it makes my couch look better and better.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    I kind of understand the idea behind this - i.e. raise fan interest, but is this really going to move the needle one bit? 80% of the people in the stadium won't even know who he is. And does anyone really pay attention to the coin toss?

Anyways, cudos for trying new things I suppose, but this seems like a waste of time and money.
    If you're a football fan you probably have a very good idea of who Shannon Sharpe is, if not from his playing days then from his time on CBS or Undisputed.

I agree with Looner, bring more NFL analysts/personalities up, they could help the exposure of the CFL down south.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

vCash

That secondary has me a bit concerned going in. Correct me if I’m wrong but was it not Glass who had to step in for Johnson when the spotters yanked him, then got beat by Cunningham for a long TD the very first play? Tough situation for him to be fair but with Burnham lined up opposite him, could be a long night.

vCash

What the hell happened to Orange?
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    That secondary has me a bit concerned going in. Correct me if I’m wrong but was it not Glass who had to step in for Johnson when the spotters yanked him, then got beat by Cunningham for a long TD the very first play? Tough situation for him to be fair but with Burnham lined up opposite him, could be a long night.
    I think Hoover came in for Johnson but it was Glass who got beat on the next play but he was all over Cunningham. It is going to be harder without our A lineup out there but the guys we are throwing out there should be able to get the job done.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I heard on the radio that he supposedly got hurt in practice on Monday.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blogger Avry View Post
    If you're a football fan you probably have a very good idea of who Shannon Sharpe is, if not from his playing days then from his time on CBS or Undisputed.

I agree with Looner, bring more NFL analysts/personalities up, they could help the exposure of the CFL down south.
    I recognize the name. I am not an NFL guy so it really means nothing to me. But I get others might have some interest in him.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Essentially down 4 starters on defense. Santos-Knox, Unamba, Orange and Bazzie. Had huge expectations for these four this season. I guess or depth will be tested early this season. I expect Brian Walker to have a very good game tonight. He really impressed me in pre-season.

Hope the D can hold up against Reilly. We all know that he is going to test them through the air... Could be a high scoring game tonight as not sold on BC defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Also has thoughts that this be the year that Colquhoun takes a huge step forward. Apparently he is a back-up at this point. Onekya i'm sure will be tested tonight...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blogger Avry View Post

I know most will disagree with me but if I was Commissioner one of my long term goals (and I would only pursue this idea if and when all the rival leagues down south failed including the upcoming XFL) would be to try and add a CFL team in the US. I know expansion failed there miserably in previous attempts but IMO they did it all wrong. Trying to place a team in a large southern US market that doesn't even know where Canada is was a mistake. Pick a northern US location that knows the CFL and I believe it would have a much better chance of succeeding and if it did would raise the profile of the league in the US. Anyways my 2 cents.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Good thing they went hard and probably paid a lot to get so far:
    - Zero games, not even preseason of Knox so far.
    - 3/4 of a game of Unamba
    - 1 game of Orange
    - Zero games of Rogers

I don't know what goes on with this team but they sure have issues with injuries.

With Bazzie, I have heard absolutely nothing about him getting hurt. Was it last week that the Dline coach posted a picture saying "best dline in the league" and Bazzie was in it in pads looking normal. Is he just not good enough or his he actually hurt?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I know most will disagree with me but if I was Commissioner one of my long term goals (and I would only pursue this idea if and when all the rival leagues down south failed including the upcoming XFL) would be to try and add a CFL team in the US. I know expansion failed there miserably in previous attempts but IMO they did it all wrong. Trying to place a team in a large southern US market that doesn't even know where Canada is was a mistake. Pick a northern US location that knows the CFL and I believe it would have a much better chance of succeeding and if it did would raise the profile of the league in the US. Anyways my 2 cents.
    One big challenge is that US labour laws prevent the use of the ratio for American employers. That will affect the competitive balance once the learning curve flattens out.

Last time, in the mid-90's, it was a 'have-to' more than a 'want-to'. Curious as to your reasoning as to why you'd want to go this route, and also what you would expect the longer-term goal to be.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Hey guys just curious if this game gets played tonight as the forecast on weather network show thundershowers and lightning at game time ,I really hope this game gets played even though I am super worried about our D against Reilly.Any predictions for the score tonight?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Hey guys just curious if this game gets played tonight as the forecast on weather network show thundershowers and lightning at game time ,I really hope this game gets played even though I am super worried about our D against Reilly.Any predictions for the score tonight?
    It's only a chance of thunderstorms. Typical summertime weather. It will get played.

This one has me nervous. Key will be getting pressure on Benedict Reilly. He'll be fired up for sure.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    - 1 game of Orange
    - Zero games of Rogers

I don't know what goes on with this team but they sure have issues with injuries.

With Bazzie, I have heard absolutely nothing about him getting hurt. Was it last week that the Dline coach posted a picture saying "best dline in the league" and Bazzie was in it in pads looking normal. Is he just not good enough or his he actually hurt?
    I'm wondering how many of our injuries are actually injuries as this seems to be a thing every year. Are these moved cap related? Is Brock massaging the cap to allow us to have room for additions and to be our best team at the end of the year? I don't know the answer to any of these questions but it has one thinking.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Eskimos 77 BC 1 =)
    Seriously tho if it doesn't rain could be a high scoring game, if it rains might be better for us I like our oline against their Dline when it comes to running the ball
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm wondering how many of our injuries are actually injuries as this seems to be a thing every year. Are these moved cap related? Is Brock massaging the cap to allow us to have room for additions and to be our best team at the end of the year? I don't know the answer to any of these questions but it has one thinking.
    After week one you think he is stashing guys on injury reserve? Don't you think you want to get some wins in the bank first before you do that if that's the case. Plus the guys I listed, Unamba, Orange and Knox where all brought in to be impact players on your defense. I don't see it. The only guy I could see it with is Bazzie. He was the big free agent signing last year. He was alright last year but for what they reportedly paid vs the production they got out of him, doesn't match.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-21-2019 at 10:04 AM.

vCash

After week one you think he is stashing guys on injury reserve? Don't you think you want to get some wins in the bank first before you do that is that's the case. Plus the guys I listed, Unamba, Orange and Knox where all brought in to be impact players on your defense. I don't see it. The only guy I could see it with is Bazzie. He was the big free agent signing last year. He was alright last year but for what they reportedly paid vs the production they got out of him, doesn't match.
    I doubt it too it wouldn't make sense, even Bazzie I doubt they're stashing
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I doubt it too it wouldn't make sense, even Bazzie I doubt they're stashing
    Me three, at least for the most part. Looking at the injuries:

Anyone on the 1-game doesn't create a salary cap benefit so why stash. Going by the individuals:
    - Bazzie is replaced by an American, so he must be injured or viewed as not good enough.
    - Knox is also replaced by an American and he was a major signing so he's a legit injury.
    - Cooper may be a stash just to keep him available, but no salary cap benefit. With him being 6-gamed originally now 1-game, maybe there is some gamesmanship on this player.
    - Bond likely a victim of ratio

6-game players do create salary cap benefit but:
    - Unamba obviously isn't a stash, as he may be the best player in the backfield. We can hope he recovers quickly and comes off early, but with his cap hit, if you aren't certain you may as well 6-game until he can practice.
    - Orange is exactly the same scenario as Unamba, plus he had the game clinching interception. They'd definitely prefer him in the lineup, but with large salary, you 6-game him and if he heals quickly remove him early, but if not at least you get cap relief.
    - SVR could be the most "important" player to the offense and we know he had surgery, so he's not a stash.
    - Parker was obviously out when the achilles goes.
    - Mulumba is a capable National so I doubt they'd be sitting him for cap purposes, but maybe. I think he was injured to end last year though.
    - The remaining Cender, Marshall and Stangby, it is possible they are stashed, but with them being back end of roster players, I doubt there is much benefit to doing so vs. releasing them or sending them to PR.
    Last edited by bone; 06-21-2019 at 10:19 AM.

vCash

What Mike Reilly needs most in life is a very close shave. Hopefully the Eskimos' Defence is up to providing him with one tonight.

Radically Canadian!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    One big challenge is that US labour laws prevent the use of the ratio for American employers. That will affect the competitive balance once the learning curve flattens out.

Last time, in the mid-90's, it was a 'have-to' more than a 'want-to'. Curious as to your reasoning as to why you'd want to go this route, and also what you would expect the longer-term goal to be.
    It's a long term plan to provide additional stability for the league which I believe is what Ambrosie is trying to achieve with CFL 2.0. Over the long haul I think it will be difficult to thrive with just 9 teams in the league with a number of the clubs not making money and you want to generate additional revenue streams which I believe should be a long term goal as the CFL appears to be operating on a razor thin edge profit wise. As far as the ratio is concerned when this idea has been floated in the past my thoughts were to have the US based team not have Canadians as part of the ratio but instead local players to be determined on an individual team by team basis. This would also help generate interest for the team as there would be a significant local content. For example if a team were to be placed in Portland then the ratio would be for players from the state of Washington with the rest of the roster made up from other US players and Global players. If they were to place a team in Wyoming then perhaps we would have to allow them to have the ratio made up of additional nearby states as they might not have enough local players in Wyoming ( I always thought it was interesting when Brock Sunderland has said in the past that he knew the CFL very well growing up and that his favorite player was Gizmo Williams which to me serves as an indicator that there is some knowledge of the CFL in the northern states). Not sure if this would appease US labor laws but I'm sure there would be a way to figure it out. Anyways my pie in the sky 2 cents.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

- 1 game of Orange
    - Zero games of Rogers

Damn that Brock... signing good FA's to help the team..