Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Eskimos/Bombers @ IG field

Re: GDT: Eskimos/Bombers @ IG field

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Did you see Smiths effort on that one deep ball earlier in the game? Sure looked like he gave up on the play.

- - - Updated - - -

They also needed a TD at some point and were only 26 yards away from one.

Again, by kicking that field goal, you are settling for a tie and a chance at winning in overtime. They could’ve been in a position to win on that last drive instead of just forcing overtime.
    Moving the ball down into the redzone wasn’t an issue, they’d been doing it all game, just couldn’t punch it in, at that point it sure didn’t feel like we were all of a sudden gonna be able to get in the endzone twice.

vCash

Pretty disappointing game. Bombers gave the Esks multiple times to win, all they had to do was take it they couldn't do it.

My thoughts on the game.
    Against a good Dline, the Oline looked like it did last year. Not good enough. Kelly was getting beat for fun fairly regularly and the run game struggled because there were no holes. Harris got to experience last night what Reilly went through last season. Getting hit and getting rushed. Guess what, he struggled.

Harris from the start of the game was off. If you look at his stats, I am sure people will say he was good and will use the receivers dropping a few as an excuse. 34-54, 345 yards. But in the passes he missed, there was a lot of bad throws. He missed a lot of throws. He was off last night. What I don't like is his yards per throw. 6.4 yards. Not long enough because that means you are not throwing for first downs. The worst ZERO TD's. You can't win if you don't score TD's. In comparison, 13-21, 200 yards, 9.5 yards, 3 TD's 1 INT but that INT was deflected. Harris's numbers for the most part are superior but their QB scored TD's, the Esks didn't.

The receivers. Catch the f-ing ball. When Maas made the call for the field goal, I wasn't sure but they needed 2 scores. Their defense had been playing pretty well so he put his faith in the defense. It worked. They got the 2 and out they needed with decent field position. Harris hits Smith in the hands with maybe the easiest catch he ever had. He drops it. Ellingson drops a ball. By some miracle, the defense gets a turn over to give the offense another chance. More drops. Catch the f-ing ball. Can anyone explain to me why Daniels isn't in the line up? You signed the guy to be an impact player and he hasn't played a down. I had GWN telling me yesterday that Hoover is a capable starting safety. I have Looner challenging me about the Canadians on the team and how they are good enough and the Esks are just loaded with depth. So if both those guys are right, then it makes absolutely no sense to start Adjei over Daniels.

The return game once again was non existent. Surprise surprise.

The offense. I do like the balance. The run game wasn't going well but they stuck to it so that is a positive. It can put up a lot of yards between the 20's. It can make Harris's numbers look real good. When Harris is on, the Esks can do lots of great things. When he is OFF like he was last night, they are in trouble in my opinion because they do not seem to have big play capability. The Esks almost double the Bombers in plays. They have over 13 mins more of time. They almost double them in first downs. Their QB was grossly out yardage, out thrown yet he had 3 TD's to zero and he was throwing for first downs, our guy is throwing almost 4 yards less. The most telling thing to me is they are trailing by 13 in the 4th. Time is ticking away. The Esks get the ball at their 36 so not bad field position. It takes them 11 PLAYS to go a grand total of 44 yards to get to the Bombers 30 to kick yet another field goal. I think they burned off almost 6 mins of time. The commentators were commenting on that and how much time the Esks were taking and how the Bombers must have loved that. I looked at the logs, Harris's longest throw was for 6 yards. He had a 4 yard pass and a 1 yard pass. Time is ticking away in the 4th, you need 2 TD's to win and you do an 11 play, 44 yr, almost 6 min drive to score a freaking field goal!!! They were still 30 yards away. What would it have taken them to score a TD, the rest of the quarter. Where the hell is the urgency! How about you throw a ball for a first down once in a while rather than take 2-3 plays to get 10 yards.

Do I think the sky is falling? No I don't.
    Is it just 1 game? Yes it is.
    But as I said yesterday, this was the true test. Beating the ALs who have no QB meant very little. Beating the Lions last week while better, still wasn't a true indication to me. They have work to do.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

First of all I'm not calling anyone out as emotions are high in a game day thread, I know if I had posted during the game I would have disagreed with myself this morning LOL

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    The constant lack of discipline is baffling and as much as I like Maas this falls squarely on him.
    Not sure what Jason is supposed to do about this as he's not on the field but you are right, something needs to be done. The Usher RTP penalty on 2nd and 20 was the most boneheaded play I've seen in a LONG time. Maybe he shouldn't have seen the field for the rest of the quarter (did I just answer my own question)

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    If you guys agree that was defensive PI on the Esks, Winnipeg was all over Stanford on play 13 in the game. The contact was longer and sooner.

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    If that hit by usher was a late hit on the qb so was that hit on Trevor right there
    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Some consistency in the calls would be great. Definitely late on Harris...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkie12 View Post
    You know, calling holding on a punt that went out of bounds is simple ignorance by whoever threw the flag. No situational awareness there.
    Consistency and quantity of flags makes the games frustrating to watch, I can see how a border line fan would tune out as it seemed like there was a flag on every play. The league needs to look at these flags and decide which ones affect the play or are a player safety issue and call those, leave the ticky tacky borderline flags in their pockets. In the second half the Bombers had a good return followed by the Screen to Whitehead, there were borderline holds on both of those plays. Normally I would say let those go but when your team has been called on similar plays already, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4thewin View Post
    Shotgun on 3rd and 1 is almost a guaranteed turnover EVERY TIME.
    One of a few boneheaded plays that cost us the game. Take this one and the Usher RTP out and I think we win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Hope Esk scouting department out looking for a better kick returner.
    Not sure its the kick returner as he's had success elsewhere. Always seems like our strategy is for our kick return team to head to the end zone and wait for the retuner to hopefully show up LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    Our receivers aren’t good enough

No speed

Why not use Martese Jackson for a few plays on a sweep or hitch

Daniels will help
    We have a few of the top receivers in the league but the dropsies tonight cost us for sure. I thought they were going to sneak some plays for Jackson into our offence, so I took him on my fantasy team, he got me a grand total of 5 points

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    If not we would have to count on an onside kick now we have time for a stop
    I actually really like that call this year as our D is good, I would be willing to bet that the percentage of success on getting a 2 and out is higher than recovering an onside kick. The decision to kick had us in a position to win but for some reason our receivers didn't want it bad enough, time for Daniels to draw in.

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Esks wasted 10 seconds getting that play off.
    One thing I've noticed this year is that our hurry up offence is actually a hurry up offence. Last year it seemed like Reilly still took up the whole play clock before getting the snap off.

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Inefficient? Nichols had 116 of his 200 yards on two plays. Nichols played pretty subpar in my opinion. I personally thought Harris played pretty damn good and was saddled with some terrible play calling in the red zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, talk about shooting themselves in the foot tonight with the penalties and drops.
    We have one of the most accurate passers in league history but they chose to hand off the ball on 2nd and goal from the 3. Normally I wouldn't mind this but CJ was having to fight through tacklers right at the line of scrimmage ALL game.

Now that I've had a chance to cool off I'm actually ok with the way we played against a very tough bomber team. We are missing 3 (JSK, Orange and Unamba) possibly 4 (Bazzie) starters on D and still limited them to under 300 yards of total offence. we are going to have to get used to giving up the odd big play as thats what happens to an aggressive D and I'm ok with that. The only adjustment we need on D is to limit the drive extending penalties (I'm looking at you Usher).

As far as offence goes, I thought our playcalling left something to desire. The 3rd and one hand off and the hand off on the 3 where two plays that I was frustrated with. I understand that you need balance but sometimes you need to use your weapons properly and Harris's quick release and accuracy along with the size of our Oline left me scratching my head at those 2 calls.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Not sure what Jason is supposed to do about this as he's not on the field but you are right, something needs to be done. The Usher RTP penalty on 2nd and 20 was the most boneheaded play I've seen in a LONG time. Maybe he shouldn't have seen the field for the rest of the quarter (did I just answer my own question)
    You do have the answer.

Usher is showing a big upside. But he needs to keep his emotions in check. On the second last play of the game, he went full speed at the Bomber line who was in victory formation. Uncalled for. He was pulled for the final play. Too little, too late.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Pretty disappointing game. Bombers gave the Esks multiple times to win, all they had to do was take it they couldn't do it.

My thoughts on the game.
    Against a good Dline, the Oline looked like it did last year. Not good enough. Kelly was getting beat for fun fairly regularly and the run game struggled because there were no holes. Harris got to experience last night what Reilly went through last season. Getting hit and getting rushed. Guess what, he struggled.

Harris from the start of the game was off. If you look at his stats, I am sure people will say he was good and will use the receivers dropping a few as an excuse. 34-54, 345 yards. But in the passes he missed, there was a lot of bad throws. He missed a lot of throws. He was off last night. What I don't like is his yards per throw. 6.4 yards. Not long enough because that means you are not throwing for first downs. The worst ZERO TD's. You can't win if you don't score TD's. In comparison, 13-21, 200 yards, 9.5 yards, 3 TD's 1 INT but that INT was deflected. Harris's numbers for the most part are superior but their QB scored TD's, the Esks didn't.

The receivers. Catch the f-ing ball. When Maas made the call for the field goal, I wasn't sure but they needed 2 scores. Their defense had been playing pretty well so he put his faith in the defense. It worked. They got the 2 and out they needed with decent field position. Harris hits Smith in the hands with maybe the easiest catch he ever had. He drops it. Ellingson drops a ball. By some miracle, the defense gets a turn over to give the offense another chance. More drops. Catch the f-ing ball. Can anyone explain to me why Daniels isn't in the line up? You signed the guy to be an impact player and he hasn't played a down. I had GWN telling me yesterday that Hoover is a capable starting safety. I have Looner challenging me about the Canadians on the team and how they are good enough and the Esks are just loaded with depth. So if both those guys are right, then it makes absolutely no sense to start Adjei over Daniels.

The return game once again was non existent. Surprise surprise.

The offense. I do like the balance. The run game wasn't going well but they stuck to it so that is a positive. It can put up a lot of yards between the 20's. It can make Harris's numbers look real good. When Harris is on, the Esks can do lots of great things. When he is OFF like he was last night, they are in trouble in my opinion because they do not seem to have big play capability. The Esks almost double the Bombers in plays. They have over 13 mins more of time. They almost double them in first downs. Their QB was grossly out yardage, out thrown yet he had 3 TD's to zero and he was throwing for first downs, our guy is throwing almost 4 yards less. The most telling thing to me is they are trailing by 13 in the 4th. Time is ticking away. The Esks get the ball at their 36 so not bad field position. It takes them 11 PLAYS to go a grand total of 44 yards to get to the Bombers 30 to kick yet another field goal. I think they burned off almost 6 mins of time. The commentators were commenting on that and how much time the Esks were taking and how the Bombers must have loved that. I looked at the logs, Harris's longest throw was for 6 yards. He had a 4 yard pass and a 1 yard pass. Time is ticking away in the 4th, you need 2 TD's to win and you do an 11 play, 44 yr, almost 6 min drive to score a freaking field goal!!! They were still 30 yards away. What would it have taken them to score a TD, the rest of the quarter. Where the hell is the urgency! How about you throw a ball for a first down once in a while rather than take 2-3 plays to get 10 yards.

Do I think the sky is falling? No I don't.
    Is it just 1 game? Yes it is.
    But as I said yesterday, this was the true test. Beating the ALs who have no QB meant very little. Beating the Lions last week while better, still wasn't a true indication to me. They have work to do.
    Never change Q, never change. In one sentence you say that Harris had an off night, then in the next you say that the receivers dropped balls (which is actually correct). Take away those drops and his yardage would have been over 400 and I'm sure he would have had at least one TD, if thats an off night, I can't wait to see when he's on.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Besides the inopportune penalties for me one of the things that really killed them last night was their starting field position when compared to Winnipeg. Not sure what the exact statistic is but I'm pretty sure the Esks average starting position on drives was something like their own 15 yard line while the Bombers average was somewhere between their own 35 and 40 yard line. The field was tilted Winnipeg's way all night and it sure makes it difficult to score TDs when you are having to drive the length of the field every time . Alternatively it helps your opponent score them when all they have to do is drive half the field and is a definite contributor to being able to score touchdowns even when they only pass for 200 yards and their run game is for the most part contained. It's not just about the returner (who did suck by the way) but the penalties they took when returning as well as their blocking also sucked. As much as I love AJ Gass he has to find a way to get the teams $%!t together. Not sure how as they've gone though a ton of ST coordinators and players over the years and I can't remember the last time I actually was okay with the play of our STs never mind considered it a strength but something has to get done here. Definitely a wasted opportunity to get a win on the road against a tough opponent.
    Last edited by adb; 06-28-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Besides the inopportune penalties for me one of the things that really killed them last night was their starting field position when compared to Winnipeg. Not sure what the exact statistic is but I'm pretty sure the Esks average starting position on drives was something like their own 15 yard line while the Bombers average was somewhere between their own 35 and 40 yard line. The field was tilted Winnipeg's way all night and it sure makes it difficult to score TDs when you are having to drive the length of the field every time and alternatively it helps your opponent score them when all you have to do is drive half the field and is a definite contributor to being able to score touchdowns even though you pass for only 200 yards. It's not just about the returner (who did suck by the way) but the penalties they took when returning as well as their blocking also sucked. As much as I love AJ Gass he has to find a way to get the teams $%!t together. Not sure how as they've gone though a ton of ST coordinators and players over the years and I can't remember the last time I actually was ok with the play of our STs never mind considered it a strength but something has to get done here.
    Dickenson's special teams were decent.

vCash

Never change Q, never change. In one sentence you say that Harris had an off night, then in the next you say that the receivers dropped balls (which is actually correct). Take away those drops and his yardage would have been over 400 and I'm sure he would have had at least one TD, if thats an off night, I can't wait to see when he's on.
    Never change either dude. Just keep glossing over the truths. The receivers dropped some balls, no doubt about that. They didn't drop 20 balls last night. 34- 54 means he had 20 incompletions. Harris missed a lot of open receivers. Thank you for pointing out that Harris could have probably had 400 yards. Wonderful.

WHO CARES!!

Unless I am missing something, do you get points for yardage? ANYONE? They scored ZERO TD's. Does throwing for 345 of 400 yards look great for Harris individual stats? Absolutely, looks great. Who won the game? Nichols had 200 yard but had 3 TD's, Harris almost doubled him in yards and had zero TD's. Guess who won the game? Not Harris. I bet the Bombers give 2 sh!ts that Harris threw for more yards. Their QB scored 3 TD's, the Esks didn't. As a defensive coordinator, while I always want to stop the opposition, I am not freaking out if the Esks drive up and down the field all they want. Go ahead, drive the ball all you want between the 20's. Go ahead and go 4- 5 yards at a time. Take 4, 5, 6, 7, 10 mins if you want then end up with a field goal. Then my offense goes out and scores a TD. So let me know when the league changes the rules and you get bonus points for putting up more yardage than the opposition.

Last time I checked, the score is the only stat that truly matters. Bombers 4 TD's, Esks and all their yardage, ZERO. YAY YARDAGE!!!
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-28-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Never change either dude. Just keep glossing over the truths. The receivers dropped some balls, no doubt about that. They didn't drop 20 balls last night. 34- 54 means he had 20 incompletions. Harris missed a lot of open receivers. Thank you for pointing out that Harris could have probably had 400 yards. Wonderful.

WHO CARES!!

Unless I am missing something, do you get points for yardage? ANYONE? They scored ZERO TD's. Does throwing for 345 of 400 yards look great for Harris individual stats? Absolutely, looks great. Who won the game? Nichols had 200 yard but had 3 TD's, Harris almost doubled him in yards and had zero TD's. Guess who won the game? Not Harris. I bet the Bombers give 2 sh!ts that Harris threw for more yards. Their QB scored 3 TD's, the Esks didn't. As a defensive coordinator, while I always want to stop the opposition, I am not freaking out if the Esks drive up and down the field all they want. Go ahead, drive the ball all you want between the 20's. Go ahead and go 4- 5 yards at a time. Take 4, 5, 6, 7, 10 mins if you want then end up with a field goal. Then my offense goes out and scores a TD. So let me know when the league changes the rules and you get bonus points for putting up more yardage than the opposition.

Last time I checked, the score is the only stat that truly matters. Bombers 4 TD's, Esks and all their yardage, ZERO. YAY YARDAGE!!!
    Glossing over the truths???? What are you talking about? you do realize there is more to the offence than the QB right? How much of this is on the play calling? How much of this is on the receivers? How much of this is on the Oline? How much of this is on the blocking schemes? When you are done with the game film, can I have it so that I can formulate a definite opinion?

Maybe if we had called for a pass on 2nd and goal from the 3, we wouldn't be having this coversation. Maybe if Ellingson didn't drop the ball on the sidelines, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Is Harris completely innocent? Absolutely not as he did miss a few throws but to say he had an bad night, is taking the easy, blame the QB route.
    #PizStrong

vCash

-If one more guy fields a kick at our one yard line, I'll be first on the Fire Gass bandwagon. We've had two different guys do it this year. Never mind the rest of the special teams, who outside of Whyte and O'Neill got soundly outplayed - which you might expect against an O'Shea team, but it's really hard to watch them have 3-4 cover men shed their blocks and be right on Jackson, while their blockers open up very wide lanes for their returners.

-Whoever put 3rd and 1 from the gun in the song and in the playbook isn't very smart. 2nd and 2 or less, or 3rd and 1, QB sneak. 95% of the time. I'd love to see a bomb on 2nd and 1 once or twice, but we need the deep threat first.

-Did we attempt five passes over 20 yards in the air? (out of 54) Take what you get is one thing, but that's ridiculous. Can't wait until Daniels comes in - and have him replace Collins if we can't work the ratio.

-On that note, all of you measuring yds per attempt at 6.4 - it's a good measure of offensive effectiveness, but a poor measure of offensive scheme and whether we actually try to throw to gain first downs. Yards per completion - which was still just under 10 - is a better statistical measure for that. You can throw 4 passes at a 10 yd distance each, and if only 1 is complete, your yds per attempt is 2.5 even though you were trying to throw the right distance every time - so your yds per completion would be a constant 10 no matter how many you completed. Regardless, we didn't throw deep enough at all. (YAC throws both of those off a bit, it's true, and especially in our offence, but the effect would probably even out to some degree over both measures.)

-I figure the game is probably tied if Tevaun Smith catches the one right in the numbers on the second last possession. Huge killer. He made a great one-hander earlier in the game, but that was awful.

-Our penalties are stupid. I didn't expect to get the rub of the green away (and with Bradbury's crew) anyways, but it wasn't a very good showing for us at all. Handed them 2 TD's with penalties. Can't continue - that's enough. Bazzie should come in for Usher, if only for a week, and here's hoping we get a DB healthy to augment the secondary. And we really need to quit getting fingers caught up around helmets. Didn't get many/any borderline calls the other way, either (WPG offsides/holding, the catch/fumble).

-I can live with a rookie, Onyeka, getting beat deep the once, but not with the tackling failure on Whitehead's 2nd TD.

-The call to kick the FG early worked out, and I agreed with it more here than at any other time. Our offence needs as much time as possible to work and we couldn't afford to waste any, and we also have a much better chance with this D to get a quick stop.

-Can't wait to be healthy. Love to see the LB's come back and a guy like Walker - who made some good plays - moved back to defensive half or something like that.

-Overall, a down-to-the-last-minute loss away to a good team coming off a bye while we were on a short week isn't the worst thing in the world - it's just dang frustrating how it all came about.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Didn;t play our best game, on the road, vs a really good team and barely lost.

For me a receiver gets one bad game hands wise, one, after that he is in the dog house replace category.

The penalties and discipline problems should have been addressed in camp. However you do have to be careful not to take away your defenses aggressiveness.

Funny how the whioe mantra I have heard about the Reilly vs Harris thing were people talking about reilly being and only deep player and it is great for the Eskes to have a ball control offense. Now all of a sudedn people complain about no deep balls.

vCash

haven't read all the posts but just some observations on how to lose a game.
    stupid penalties.
    stupid punt returner. clueless.
    stupid offensive playcalls. short yardage from pass formation. really?
    last....is there a rule not to throw to the endzone when you're within 20 yards? Might have to 6 game Whyte for being lame.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Glossing over the truths???? What are you talking about? you do realize there is more to the offence than the QB right? How much of this is on the play calling? How much of this is on the receivers? How much of this is on the Oline? How much of this is on the blocking schemes? When you are done with the game film, can I have it so that I can formulate a definite opinion?

Maybe if we had called for a pass on 2nd and goal from the 3, we wouldn't be having this coversation. Maybe if Ellingson didn't drop the ball on the sidelines, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Is Harris completely innocent? Absolutely not as he did miss a few throws but to say he had an bad night, is taking the easy, blame the QB route.
    Never said I was pinning the loss all on Harris but he played a factor, the receivers played a factor and the play calling IMO opinion played a factor. I said it weeks ago, I was concerned about the offense and it's short pass, methodical style. I personally think that taking 11 plays and almost 6 mins to go 44 yards and only get a field go is not a good thing. I don't think throwing a pass for 1 yard like he did on this drive I am referring too is a good thing. I don't think having a 6 yard passing average is a good thing. It means you are taking 2+ plays to get first downs. Yardage has never impressed me, TD's are what matters. I would much rather Harris have Nichol's numbers and the offense put up 4 TD's vs have Harris's numbers and the amount of offense the Esks put up and score zero TD's.

vCash

Never said I was pinning the loss all on Harris but he played a factor, the receivers played a factor and the play calling IMO opinion played a factor. I said it weeks ago, I was concerned about the offense and it's short pass, methodical style. I personally think that taking 11 plays and almost 6 mins to go 44 yards and only get a field go is not a good thing. I don't think throwing a pass for 1 yard like he did on this drive I am referring too is a good thing. I don't think having a 6 yard passing average is a good thing. It means you are taking 2+ plays to get first downs. Yardage has never impressed me, TD's are what matters. I would much rather Harris have Nichol's numbers and the offense put up 4 TD's vs have Harris's numbers and the amount of offense the Esks put up and score zero TD's.
    the long and the short of the matter is that if our receivers didn't have the dropsies at the end of the game, we would have been in a significantly different position. Richie Halls defence is know for bend but don't break, if you want to sit back there and chuck it deep, you are going to be in for a long night, kinda like Reilly tried in week 1 against the same Bombers team going 22/39 (56%) with 1 TD and 2 INT's. The offensive game plan we had, put us in a position to tie the game up in the opposing teams barn, while they were rested and we are coming off a short week, not sure what else you expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Didn;t play our best game, on the road, vs a really good team and barely lost.

For me a receiver gets one bad game hands wise, one, after that he is in the dog house replace category.

The penalties and discipline problems should have been addressed in camp. However you do have to be careful not to take away your defenses aggressiveness.

Funny how the whioe mantra I have heard about the Reilly vs Harris thing were people talking about reilly being and only deep player and it is great for the Eskes to have a ball control offense. Now all of a sudedn people complain about no deep balls.
    fine line here as we had penalty trouble in the first part of last year and won more than our share of games, in the second half of the year we cleaned it up and lost more than our share of games.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Lots to talk about regarding last night's game, but I'm just gonna focus on one thing - stupid penalties.
    Far too often last night we saw a number of Eskimos take silly penalties and then shake their heads in disbelief that a flag was thrown. I'm hoping the coaching staff take each one of those players into the film room and have the players explain to them how the hell they thought what they were doing was okay. Until the players lose the cheap shots and stop blaming the refs for borderline calls we are going to continue to have a problem with unnecessary penalties that will continue to cost us wins. There are a couple guys in particular that need to grow the "f" up and fast.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

he also mentioned harris Looking off early.. that co insided with his other comment that the line really had those hands full with the bombers front 7, harris had to move the pocket several times.. I would say all those things he said were true..
    They go hand in hand..

Our line had a fight all night but I think it held together..we had 77 offensive snaps .. zero turnovers .. ( unless we include on downs ) to do that ur doing something right..

I’m a pretty glass full type of eskimo fan and when the schedule comes out I hope we go 18-0 but the reality is.?i believe we’re a 2 win Better team then last year.. so when u go through the schedule even I had us down as a L Vs Winnipeg in Winnipeg..

I think we showed fighting spirit.. out side of 3 big plays .. td1 onyeka bit on the stop and go..
    The pi set up the second td.. was unlucky but he had a hand round his lid and td 3 whiteheads second td was a very simple screen from a bunch formations that if you watch the replay back they show a great angle of the 3 wrs in bunch and 3 defenders... as an Oc I’ll take that match up.. 82 had a great block and hoover got caught in no mans land

That’s all they did... I don’t think Winnipeg dominated either side of the ball..

Any day we hsve Andrew harris fumbling twice I’ll take it...

Its a loss but it’s more so a lesson and a litmus..

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    he also mentioned harris Looking off early.. that co insided with his other comment that the line really had those hands full with the bombers front 7, harris had to move the pocket several times.. I would say all those things he said were true..
    They go hand in hand..

Our line had a fight all night but I think it held together..we had 77 offensive snaps .. zero turnovers .. ( unless we include on downs ) to do that ur doing something right..

I’m a pretty glass full type of eskimo fan and when the schedule comes out I hope we go 18-0 but the reality is.?i believe we’re a 2 win Better team then last year.. so when u go through the schedule even I had us down as a L Vs Winnipeg in Winnipeg..

I think we showed fighting spirit.. out side of 3 big plays .. td1 onyeka bit on the stop and go..
    The pi set up the second td.. was unlucky but he had a hand round his lid and td 3 whiteheads second td was a very simple screen from a bunch formations that if you watch the replay back they show a great angle of the 3 wrs in bunch and 3 defenders... as an Oc I’ll take that match up.. 82 had a great block and hoover got caught in no mans land

That’s all they did... I don’t think Winnipeg dominated either side of the ball..

Any day we hsve Andrew harris fumbling twice I’ll take it...

Its a loss but it’s more so a lesson and a litmus..
    Agreed but they did on STs IMO...more so as a result of us shooting ourselves in the foot time and time again.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Agreed but they did on STs IMO.
    Agreed our return game even on kick offs is beyond a head scratcher!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    The way I see these situations is your taking the points because your having faith that your defence will get the ball back..
    I like the way Jason has faith in his players and staff to say.. it’s a 2 score game.. I’ll kick it u get me the ball..

Fans just see a fg and say we need the Td.. etc..

There are scenarios mapped out and if when’d thst coaches adhere to..

On one had u wanna see more aggression and go for it attitude on the other u have a cool collected train of thought

I’ve been on a sideline where we have done similar things.. and u trust your hc right or wrong..

We got the ball back with less than a minute left,was just not our night.

vCash

What if they go for the TD and it gets intercepted or caught and fumbled????
    a coach goes with what he thinks/knows will work, that's why he goes with his decision. He's like a Biliards player, think 3-4 moves ahead..........
    Ive been airbrushing for 20 years and I go with, at the time what "I" think/know will work, but it doesn't always go that way(LOL) to relate it to Maas and his 4 th year as HC. I certainly in my 4th year of airbrushing didn't knew it all or made the right decisions (Art wise, business wise etc).....
    anyways I really believe the penalties/lack of tackling REALLY hurt them. Winnipeg are no slouches either......... but the beer WAS good though!!!!!!!!

I'll take 2-1 with a BYE,, should be beneficial....................

GO ESKIES GO
    Last edited by Hotrodzz; 06-28-2019 at 11:12 AM.

vCash

Take a look at the special team stats. Does anything stick out? Jackson averaged 7.8 yards per punt return, Nelson 7.7. On Kick returns Jackson averaged 15.6, Winnipeg 18.25.
    The Eskimo special teams weren't outplayed, they were out penaltied 5 to 1.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Take a look at the special team stats. Does anything stick out? Jackson averaged 7.8 yards per punt return, Nelson 7.7. On Kick returns Jackson averaged 15.6, Winnipeg 18.25.
    The Eskimo special teams weren't outplayed, they were out penaltied 5 to 1.
    The stat I'm looking at was average starting field position which for me is very important. Like I said I don't have the exact number and am not sure if the CFL publishes it but maybe someone can see if they can find it. My guesstimate is that our average start was the 15 yard line while the Bombers was about the 35 yard line. That is where we were massively outplayed IMO and resulted in us having to drive the entire length of the field while the WBBs usually had close to half a field to work with. There was a combination of things happening on STs that resulted in this happening including penalties, returners not knowing when to give up the single point, terrible blocking etc. The STs found numerous ways to F this up as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't just penalties but you're right that played a significant role and taking penalties while the other team doesn't is being outplayed IMO.

vCash

The starting field position problem on kickoffs is, I think, almost entirely due to penalties.

What I'd also like to know is why our punt returners seem to take such pleasure in fielding balls at their own 1 yard line, just as they're about to roll into the end zone.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    The starting field position problem on kickoffs is, I think, almost entirely due to penalties.

What I'd also like to know is why our punt returners seem to take such pleasure in fielding balls at their own 1 yard line, just as they're about to roll into the end zone.
    Yeah, both times this year it almost was as if they were coached to do it thinking we'd catch the other team off guard. I don't get it.

vCash

I was yelling, Don't grab it........ Don't grab it........ damn he grabbed it.
    #PizStrong

vCash

The stat I'm looking at was average starting field position which for me is very important. Like I said I don't have the exact number and am not sure if the CFL publishes it but maybe someone can see if they can find it. My guesstimate is that our average start was the 15 yard line while the Bombers was about the 35 yard line. That is where we were massively outplayed IMO and resulted in us having to drive the entire length of the field while the WBBs usually had close to half a field to work with. There was a combination of things happening on STs that resulted in this happening including penalties, returners not knowing when to give up the single point, terrible blocking etc. The STs found numerous ways to F this up as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't just penalties but you're right that played a significant role and taking penalties while the other team doesn't is being outplayed IMO.
    Ask and you shall receive.

By my math, the average starting field positions were:

Edm: own 32
    Wpg: own 40

However, 3 of the Esks drives started from a turnover. If you only include special teams, our starting field position was our own 25.

As far as penalties go, we took an illegal block on a kickoff and a hold on a punt. We also had another illegal block on a punt but a roughing penalty on Wpg made it a net 5 yard gain.

To summarize, our special teams really suck.

vCash

Definitely! We weren't being out kicked. And both squads weren't getting big returns. But penalties had tilted the field and the offense always had a long field to deal with.
    The penalties and long field were two things that plagued us last year as well.

vCash

Besides the inopportune penalties for me one of the things that really killed them last night was their starting field position when compared to Winnipeg. Not sure what the exact statistic is but I'm pretty sure the Esks average starting position on drives was something like their own 15 yard line while the Bombers average was somewhere between their own 35 and 40 yard line. The field was tilted Winnipeg's way all night and it sure makes it difficult to score TDs when you are having to drive the length of the field every time . Alternatively it helps your opponent score them when all they have to do is drive half the field and is a definite contributor to being able to score touchdowns even when they only pass for 200 yards and their run game is for the most part contained. It's not just about the returner (who did suck by the way) but the penalties they took when returning as well as their blocking also sucked. As much as I love AJ Gass he has to find a way to get the teams $%!t together. Not sure how as they've gone though a ton of ST coordinators and players over the years and I can't remember the last time I actually was okay with the play of our STs never mind considered it a strength but something has to get done here. Definitely a wasted opportunity to get a win on the road against a tough opponent.
    The ST penalties are the infuriating ones to me.

On penalties, I thought the one on Usher was pretty soft and when Harris was fully bent over and sacked by his head it sure seemed like a penalty last week but who knows?

They left two points on the table but nobody wins the Grey Cup in June. They played a tough game in a tough stadium against a team coming off a bye on a short week (Yes, it was one day, why the **** are they playing this game on Thursday night football?) and did enough to win, didn't get some bounces and make a couple clutch catches.

JM made the right call on kicking the FG.

The only JM call I hated (that was also a catch and a fumble on Collins by CFL rules) was the 10 yard FG. The way their D was playing you go for that there and your worst case scenario should be a safety.

I really thought Smith would be a lot more polished.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    The ST penalties are the infuriating ones to me.

On penalties, I thought the one on Usher was pretty soft and when Harris was fully bent over and sacked by his head it sure seemed like a penalty last week but who knows?

They left two points on the table but nobody wins the Grey Cup in June. They played a tough game in a tough stadium against a team coming off a bye on a short week (Yes, it was one day, why the **** are they playing this game on Thursday night football?) and did enough to win, didn't get some bounces and make a couple clutch catches.

JM made the right call on kicking the FG.

The only JM call I hated (that was also a catch and a fumble on Collins by CFL rules) was the 10 yard FG. The way their D was playing you go for that there and your worst case scenario should be a safety.

I really thought Smith would be a lot more polished.
    I am actually surprised at the black lash about what Maas did. They needed 2 scores. Was it a bit unorthodox to kick the field goal then, sure but they were running out of time and given how much time their offense was taking to do anything, there was a good chance they would have burned off at close to a minute to score a TD. Then you'd have to kick off, most likely go for the short kick which rarely work. So chances are the Bombers are getting the ball near mid field. Even if your defense does a 2 and out, they are punting and pinning you deep.

By doing it the way he did. You got your 3. The Bombers have to take the ball rather than a kick off so you save time in that. Then you hope your defense can do a 2 and out. You have a time out which you use to stop the clock. If they do a 2 and out, even with a bomb of a punt, you are getting decent field position. If you get any kind of return, you get the ball back at mid field with over a minute left. Which is exactly what happened.

It was the right call.

vCash

I am actually surprised at the black lash about what Maas did. They needed 2 scores. Was it a bit unorthodox to kick the field goal then, sure but they were running out of time and given how much time their offense was taking to do anything, there was a good chance they would have burned off at close to a minute to score a TD. Then you'd have to kick off, most likely go for the short kick which rarely work. So chances are the Bombers are getting the ball near mid field. Even if your defense does a 2 and out, they are punting and pinning you deep.

By doing it the way he did. You got your 3. The Bombers have to take the ball rather than a kick off so you save time in that. Then you hope your defense can do a 2 and out. You have a time out which you use to stop the clock. If they do a 2 and out, even with a bomb of a punt, you are getting decent field position. If you get any kind of return, you get the ball back at mid field with over a minute left. Which is exactly what happened.

It was the right call.
    There was a kickoff after the field goal. All scoring plays under 3 minutes require a kickoff.