Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Eskimos vs Lions Act 2

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs Lions Act 2

Watching the PVR version of the game cause I missed the majority of it live:

- Feels nice to have a QB who can react and pick up blitzes and/or get the ball out of his hands quickly. Mike Reilly's O-Line hasn't been wonderful, but he also needs to get the ball out of his hands and read a D, which he struggled mightily with in the second half of last season. Jason Maas knows it.
    - That hit by Odell Willis was dirty as f**k and he knows it. Jason Maas knew that too and that's why he chased down the officials before the half.
    - Feels amazing to not have Gary Peters and Chris Edwards on our team. I'm glad to see them self destructing other teams instead of ours.

Satisfying. Very satisfying. I might watch this a few more times before I go to bed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    Great game

Brock deserves credit for sticking with Jason and bringing in lots of good players, both cfl veterans and rookies from ncaa.

Jason deserves credit for firing Bene and bringing in Lolly. Only wish that happened 2-3 years ago

Lolly deserves credit for being awesome. Hope other teams don’t figure him out too quick.

How will we take Diggs out when Santos Knox gets back ?

Hope O’ Donnell is ok.

Reilly’s efficiency ratio must be around 70.

Who knew when you spend all the money on a qb the roster suffers elseewhere? Ironic in this case that it’s the Oline and they spent all that money on Reilly for him to spend half the game on his ass. Maybe Ed isn’t as smart as we thought?

I don’t feel bad Reilly left any more at all. He is good but we had 2 of the best receivers in the league and an excellent offensive coordinator his whole time here. Both of those helped his stats. He has neither of those items in BC and a terrible Oline to boot.
    Never thought he was.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    Great game

Brock deserves credit for sticking with Jason and bringing in lots of good players, both cfl veterans and rookies from ncaa.

Jason deserves credit for firing Bene and bringing in Lolly. Only wish that happened 2-3 years ago

Lolly deserves credit for being awesome. Hope other teams don’t figure him out too quick.

How will we take Diggs out when Santos Knox gets back ?

Hope O’ Donnell is ok.

Reilly’s efficiency ratio must be around 70.

Who knew when you spend all the money on a qb the roster suffers elseewhere? Ironic in this case that it’s the Oline and they spent all that money on Reilly for him to spend half the game on his ass. Maybe Ed isn’t as smart as we thought?

I don’t feel bad Reilly left any more at all. He is good but we had 2 of the best receivers in the league and an excellent offensive coordinator his whole time here. Both of those helped his stats. He has neither of those items in BC and a terrible Oline to boot.
    Maas didn’t fire Bene, they had every intention of bringing him back. They couldn’t agree on a salary for him to fit him in the new coaches salary cap.

That coaches cap might be our MVP because the changes Lolley has made to our defensive identity have been astounding so far.

vCash

Great win. Jason Maas drives me nuts though. What in the hell was Trevor Harris (or CJ Gable for that matter) still doing in the game with 4 minutes left when you're up by 27??

Maas has always stubbornly done this. Not only does it put your starters at needless risk, but it prevents your backups from getting any game reps.

So you make it more likely that you need the backup while at the same time less likely that they will succeed.

So stupid.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Maas didn’t fire Bene, they had every intention of bringing him back. They couldn’t agree on a salary for him to fit him in the new coaches salary cap.

That coaches cap might be our MVP because the changes Lolley has made to our defensive identity have been astounding so far.
    I actually think that was the official story just to save face somewhat because Maas tried to get Lolly in 2018 but Hammy blocked him. And don’t forget Maas wanted Thorpe in 2016 but the league blocked that one too, Maas has always wanted this aggressive kind of D.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Great win. Jason Maas drives me nuts though. What in the hell was Trevor Harris (or CJ Gable for that matter) still doing in the game with 4 minutes left when you're up by 27??

Maas has always stubbornly done this. Not only does it put your starters at needless risk, but it prevents your backups from getting any game reps.

So you make it more likely that you need the backup while at the same time less likely that they will succeed.

So stupid.

CFL seems to be going the way of the NFL where starting QBs go wire to wire most games regardless of circumstances.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post

So stupid.
    90% guarantee its because, as a player, Jason hated to be pulled.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Fantastic team effort.

*If* this keeps up and the team continues to perform like this...and that's a big "if"...we could be on the way to seeing one of the best GM performances in league history. A roster completely dismantled by free agency, built back to this...by noon on Day 1.

Brock Sunderland, take a bow. So far anyway, WOW.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Well, what do you know—a decent KO return!
    Wondering if we are starting to see a little bit of Gass's influence coming through finally or was it just Jackson taking matters into his own hands? My guess would be a little of both. Is it just me or does he remind anyone else of Gizmo? Smaller stature, little bit of a gap between his teeth, wouldn't it be nice if he turned the look into the on field success that giz had, even 50% of it would be fantastic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Good god is Usher a throwback...
    He plays mean, pushing the pocket all night long. Can't see how Bazzie is going to be getting back in the lineup

That was actually a very well done blitz by Hoover and I think it caused Reilly to hesitate...
    I thought Hoover had a real nice game actually. He part of a defence that gave up the second least amount of overall yards this year at 210 yards last night. The only D that produced less yards was us against BC the first time where we limited them to 202 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Crap. O'Donnell down.
    Hope this isn't long term but I thought Saxelid did a nice job of filling in. Does anyone else think that maybe part of our Oline issues in the past were on the QB? Harris's style is more like Bo Levi than it is Mike Reilly. The line knows where he is going to be and typically don't have to hold their blocks as long. On this weeks Eskimo Empire podcast, Sorenson mentioned how much easier it would be to block for Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Martese is running like AJ Gass may have suggested if he didn't get some good returns he was going to rip his helmet off next practice with his head still in it
    That is hilarious but this is the first game in a LONG time where I've felt comfortable with our special teams production.

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    Arjen has played a heck of a game so far.
    He is a great player, just needs to stay healthy.

Hightower having a hell of a game.
    The whole D had a great game but Hightower stood out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Lolly was a pretty big pick up.
    Including all of the player acquisitions, this was our biggest upgrade. You can have decent players but if the system is terrible, they aren't going to have success. Of all the DBs we put out there last night, only Johnson wasn't with us last year, instead we had Grymes. That tells me that we had the horses to play the system we are but never used them properly. I haven't had this much fun watching the Eskies in I don't know how long. In the Jones era it was fun to watch our D but our O struggled. In the Bene era, I would cringe every time our D came on the field. With this team and the way our special teams played, its fun to watch the whole game now.

Not sure what they can do at this point as their Oline/ offensive game plan is horrible. Actually very surprised Ed has put together a team that has gotten dominated on both lines so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Best D in the league. I feel bad thinking they'd give up 17 tonight. And every damn player but Mondo is a Sunderland guy.
    Test passed in my eyes. I gave Brock 3 years to make this team his and he has put an exciting brand of football on the field for sure.

Another player who absolutely stood out on the teams was 38 Walton. A quick look shows 4 (!!!) special teams tackle and also got some time in when Diggs sat down in the 4th...
    I noticed that as well, man that guy can tackle, seems to be another decent find.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I actually think that was the official story just to save face somewhat because Maas tried to get Lolly in 2018 but Hammy blocked him. And don’t forget Maas wanted Thorpe in 2016 but the league blocked that one too, Maas has always wanted this aggressive kind of D.

- - - Updated - - -

CFL seems to be going the way of the NFL where starting QBs go wire to wire most games regardless of circumstances.
    I often wonder how much development a QB is going to actually get when all they are going to do is come into the game and hand the ball off. I would rather see Maas get Harris out of there but he seems to be protecting him with his play calling.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Did anyone else hear someone scream when Boateng came free on Reilly blind side? He got the sack but someone screamed LOL

vCash

As much as we complain about the refs, I feel like we got away with a few last night and came out on the good side of the calls. The only one I really didn't like was the hit on Harris, that is more RTP then a guys hand skimming along the side of the QBs helmet like Boateng received the last time we played BC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    90% guarantee its because, as a player, Jason hated to be pulled.
    Which is interesting because a fair amount of the time he was in Edmonton, he was a backup to Rickey Ray. You would think knowing his experiences then, he'd see some value in giving the next guy some reps.

vCash

By the same token, Reilly wasn’t pulled either in the late stages of last night’s blowout.

vCash

Ben Major— he was the referee for a few games last season.
    I like him a lot.

vCash

Just noticed a tweet from Dave Campbell saying MOD's injury is not considered major.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Just noticed a tweet from Dave Campbell saying MOD's injury is not considered major.
    On last night's radio broadcast Morley Scott mentioned an Eskimos epodcast that he does weekly. Anybody have a link for that. I tried searching for it on itunes but couldn't find it.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    On last night's radio broadcast Morley Scott mentioned an Eskimos epodcast that he does weekly. Anybody have a link for that. I tried searching for it on itunes but couldn't find it.

or here if you don't do the apple thing

https://curiouscast.ca/podcast/468/the-e-pod/
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-12-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Thats good news, will be interesting to see if they bring in an additional guy in case he cant make the whole game. Interesting enough on one of the first, if not the first play after MOD went down, the Eskimos went deep to Ellingson, kinds shows the confidence in Saxelid as you can guarantee they sent a few people at him.

vCash

That's how you celebrate a touchdown!!!
    This is what I like about Harris. He is a leader but knows it's not all because of him. He shares this with the big guys and for that, they will go to war with him.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

What a fantastic picture that was. That is going in the photogs’ portfolio.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Anyone else notice how fired up Benevides was at the start of the half? They ran a half time panel promo earlier and had Dunnigan on there and apparently put Bene's head on Nailors body

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Anyone else notice how fired up Benevides was at the start of the half? They ran a half time panel promo earlier and had Dunnigan on there and apparently put Bene's head on Nailors body
    I did see that...I figured he was just choked he didn’t run his defence like Lolley

vCash

What a fantastic picture that was. That is going in the photogs’ portfolio.
    Great picture. But man did I cringe when I see the big guy jump like that. So many players have gotten hurt celebrating like that.

vCash

I kind of felt bad for JS Roy because wow was he in over his head against Mondo. He was constantly getting pushed right back into Reilly.

vCash

I did see that...I figured he was just choked he didn’t run his defence like Lolley
    Have to winder what goes through his head. Does he blame Sunderland for not giving him the linebackers he has now? Does it frustrate him that all the early season talk seems to be centered around how good our defence has been this year?

- - - Updated - - -

I kind of felt bad for JS Roy because wow was he in over his head against Mondo. He was constantly getting pushed right back into Reilly.
    For sure, seems like our whole Dline is doing that as I noticed Usher doing the same thing. We really took advantage of their tackles all night as they were getting beat constantly.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Thats good news, will be interesting to see if they bring in an additional guy in case he cant make the whole game. Interesting enough on one of the first, if not the first play after MOD went down, the Eskimos went deep to Ellingson, kinds shows the confidence in Saxelid as you can guarantee they sent a few people at him.
    After getting burnt on the Groulx pick it's nice to find a good one like Saxelid for sure. Plus Deanne is still on the PR. I thought Ruby might just be kept for a backup, but watching him on running plays you can see why he keeps Bond on the bench so far anyway. It's good that I'm only an armchair coach.

vCash

I’m just waiting for the moment when one of the panel members turns to Benevides & asks him why his D was so vanilla & passive for his time here. Thank goodness that he was turfed in the offseason & Lolley hired.
    You can’t tell me that MB wasn’t brought back due to the salary cap for coaches. They certainly found the financial room to hire Lolley....

- - - Updated - - -

What was Hervey expecting when he plucked Roy off our PR? He was on there for a reason....

vCash
    Blog Entries

What was Hervey expecting when he plucked Roy off our PR? He was on there for a reason....
    Anyone remember the last time someone was plucked off of anyone's PR that turned out be more than a serviceable teams player? Can't think of one off the top of my head.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Anyone remember the last time someone was plucked off of anyone's PR that turned out be more than a serviceable teams player? Can't think of one off the top of my head.
    I can—a few seasons ago, the Esks plucked O-lineman, Joe McGrath, off the Stumps’ PR & he went on to have a decent career....

vCash

Don Matthews plucked returner Ezra Landry off our practice Roster in 2004... He tore it up that year and in 2005 as well. I remember him bowling over Sean Fleming on a return and the 5'4" Landry got the better of the 6'3" Fleming...
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Don Matthews plucked returner Ezra Landry off our practice Roster in 2004... He tore it up that year and in 2005 as well. I remember him bowling over Sean Fleming on a return and the 5'4" Landry got the better of the 6'3" Fleming...
    Wad was razzed pretty good about that too! Took a while to live it down.
    And there was much rejoicing... yaayyy....