Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Eskimos vs Lions Act 2

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs Lions Act 2

How many roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness penalties did we get? Zero? I hope the guys realize the difference that makes.

The stupidest penalty was Boateng's offside on 3rd and 2. I know he's eager but you got to be ready for that veteran hard count.

vCash

Just watching the game again...just after halftime, everyone thinks Kilgore is going to be the QB with Harris in the locker room. Just as the Lions kick off, Harris runs out of the locker room and onto the field, taking the first snap (second snap was the Adjei TD).

A bit of gamesmanship, perhaps?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Just watching the game again...just after halftime, everyone thinks Kilgore is going to be the QB with Harris in the locker room. Just as the Lions kick off, Harris runs out of the locker room and onto the field, taking the first snap (second snap was the Adjei TD).

A bit of gamesmanship, perhaps?
    I could be wrong but I think he actually returned from halftime to try it out, then shortly before TSN returned for the 2nd half, he went back to the locker room again. Maybe to put a 2nd brace on?

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Wondering if we are starting to see a little bit of Gass's influence coming through finally or was it just Jackson taking matters into his own hands? My guess would be a little of both. Is it just me or does he remind anyone else of Gizmo? Smaller stature, little bit of a gap between his teeth, wouldn't it be nice if he turned the look into the on field success that giz had, even 50% of it would be fantastic!!!
    Don't know if you caught the coaches show this week but Maas mentioned that this is about the time of year where you have enough ST film to really start dialing in the match-ups properly and he seemed happy with the plan they had put in place for this game ST's wise. As we all saw there was a noticeable difference.

Including all of the player acquisitions, this was our biggest upgrade. You can have decent players but if the system is terrible, they aren't going to have success. Of all the DBs we put out there last night, only Johnson wasn't with us last year, instead we had Grymes. That tells me that we had the horses to play the system we are but never used them properly. I haven't had this much fun watching the Eskies in I don't know how long. In the Jones era it was fun to watch our D but our O struggled. In the Bene era, I would cringe every time our D came on the field. With this team and the way our special teams played, its fun to watch the whole game now.
    I believed this about the secondary all through last year.

I often wonder how much development a QB is going to actually get when all they are going to do is come into the game and hand the ball off. I would rather see Maas get Harris out of there but he seems to be protecting him with his play calling.
    Absolutely, I find it funny when a coach does something outside of conventional thinking and everyone loses their minds

vCash

I thought we grabbed Chris Greaves off a PR? He wound up being a starter in the playoffs and played well above his head...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I thought we grabbed Chris Greaves off a PR? He wound up being a starter in the playoffs and played well above his head...
    Greaves was outstanding in the 2015 Cup run. It was a week after we traded Nichols to Wpg. that we got Greaves in another trade with the Bombers though. Traded an import Olineman and a draft choice for Greaves. It gave us great depth on the Oline with Brian Simmons and Andrew Jones backing up Sorenson, MOD, Greaves, Washington and Baptiste.

vCash

Did anyone else hear someone scream when Boateng came free on Reilly blind side? He got the sack but someone screamed LOL
    It might have been me hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Anyone remember the last time someone was plucked off of anyone's PR that turned out be more than a serviceable teams player? Can't think of one off the top of my head.
    Korey Jones by Eskies from Sask PR in 2016? I could be mis-remembering the circumstances of his return to Edmonton ...he might have been activated to Sask active roster by CJ when those wheels started turning. Anyone remember?
    Last edited by Smartie123; 07-12-2019 at 06:11 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    That's hilarious!!!!!
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Bond was playing Guard and tackle in TC. Kelly was fine against Montreal and BC but was Owned badly by Jeffcoat and Jefferson. Constantly in a Back Pedal or letting them around if BC watches that game film I personally would place my best edge rusher against him which I am sure BC will do and cause Harris headaches all game.
    Certainly didn't happen, and half the game with the raw, but talented, Saxelid next to him.

People will be slow to give him credit for improvement, but the entire O-Line is doing a great job. I highly disagree with any description of a guy getting 'owned' when a single sack is on the stat sheet at the end of the night.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Certainly didn't happen, and half the game with the raw, but talented, Saxelid next to him.

People will be slow to give him credit for improvement, but the entire O-Line is doing a great job. I highly disagree with any description of a guy getting 'owned' when a single sack is on the stat sheet at the end of the night.
    Hard to be critical with anything in our lineup right now as we have looked better then we have in a long time and that's in all 3 phases. It's a long season and plenty can still happen but the overall product we are producing is a lot of fun to watch.

As far as kelly goes, our coaches have hours and hours of film on him and have never really tried to replace him. What this tells me is that he is grading well and that the coaches trust him.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I could be wrong but I think he actually returned from halftime to try it out, then shortly before TSN returned for the 2nd half, he went back to the locker room again. Maybe to put a 2nd brace on?
    Hey guys any word on Trevor Harris injury ? Did they get it XRay or is he gonna be ok ?

He plays mean, pushing the pocket all night long. Can't see how Bazzie is going to be getting back in the lineup
    It's too bad because I thought he was poised for a breakout year, love what Usher brings though. Having a player like Bazzie though who has started basically his whole career relegated to back up really demonstrates the level of buy in from this team, and I would suggest that's a form of leadership that sets a good example for everyone else of how to put the team above yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Best D in the league. I feel bad thinking they'd give up 17 tonight. And every damn player but Mondo is a Sunderland guy.
    Off the top of my head, there's almost no one left from the Hervey era other than Maas. Mondo and Odonnell came in before Ed, Beard, Colquhoun, and Smith were drafted under Hervey, and he did pick up Whyte and Stafford, but the latter was then cut by him before being brought back by Brock so maybe partial credit on that one.

I've said this time and again, I was a big fan of Hervey as our GM and was ticked when he was fired, but I've also been saying that the damage done from that move was mitigated in a big way when Ottawa decided to give us Sunderland for some unknown reason. This tandem of Sunderland/Maas/Lolly/Gass could be a great one for a long time if we can find a way to keep them together. Even the refresh button that was hit on the scouting staff was probably one that was needed, no disrespect to Paul Jones.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 07-13-2019 at 02:33 PM.

As far as kelly goes, our coaches have hours and hours of film on him and have never really tried to replace him. What this tells me is that he is grading well and that the coaches trust him.
    Huh, so you mean to tell me that coaches who's livelihood hangs in the balance prefer not to hand a starting job to a guy year after year who is completely incompetent? Weird... Do they realize that there are guys online who watch this team for three whole hours a week?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Huh, so you mean to tell me that coaches who's livelihood hangs in the balance prefer not to hand a starting job to a guy year after year who is completely incompetent? Weird... Do they realize that there are guys online who watch this team for three whole hours a week?
    I'm not skilled enough to be able to decide, with any kind of certainty, how he's been doing but the amount of games hes played in the league suggests that hes not as bad as some think.

- - - Updated - - -

Off the top of my head, there's almost no one left from the Hervey era other than Maas. Mondo and Odonnell came in before Ed, Beard, Colquhoun, and Smith were drafted under Hervey, and he did pick up Whyte and Stafford, but the latter was then cut by him before being brought back by Brock so maybe partial credit on that one.

I've said this time and again, I was a big fan of Hervey as our GM and was ticked when he was fired, but I've also been saying that the damage done from that move was mitigated in a big way when Ottawa decided to give us Sunderland for some unknown reason. This tandem of Sunderland/Maas/Lolly/Gass could be a great one for a long time if we can find a way to keep them together. Even the refresh button that was hit on the scouting staff was probably one that was needed, no disrespect to Paul Jones.
    My GM timeline for the CFL is 3 years. Year 1 is a write off, year 2 should show progress, in year 3 you should be a contender, which ot looks like we are.
    #PizStrong

vCash

As to the questions about keeping Harris in. While I agree that there was wisdom in pulling him to prevent further risk, I don't believe there was any way that Trevor was letting them.

Lots has been made of Harris following Reilly (as he followed Ray and Burris prior to that). This was an opportunity, independent of Reilly being on the opposite sideline, to demonstrate his own toughness and ability to play through pain. I am not talking as much about proving to media or fans, but more so, continuing to show his teammates that he has the mental toughness to play well when dealing with that.

I won't be shocked if he misses a week or two, and it will have nothing to do with staying in the game. In the moment, there is adrenaline, perhaps a little analgesic assistance, and there is also the fact that the backup hasn't had a week of reps to prepare.

With coaching, you don't want to expose your players to undue risk without a reason - and there is no doubt that there is risk here. It is a case of judging and balancing when the reward outweighs the risk. In this case, there is an argument that you honour your QB/leadership by allowing them to do what they need to do. Maas will be well-positioned to determine what that's worth as he builds chemistry and culture.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    As to the questions about keeping Harris in. While I agree that there was wisdom in pulling him to prevent further risk, I don't believe there was any way that Trevor was letting them.

Lots has been made of Harris following Reilly (as he followed Ray and Burris prior to that). This was an opportunity, independent of Reilly being on the opposite sideline, to demonstrate his own toughness and ability to play through pain. I am not talking as much about proving to media or fans, but more so, continuing to show his teammates that he has the mental toughness to play well when dealing with that.

I won't be shocked if he misses a week or two, and it will have nothing to do with staying in the game. In the moment, there is adrenaline, perhaps a little analgesic assistance, and there is also the fact that the backup hasn't had a week of reps to prepare.

With coaching, you don't want to expose your players to undue risk without a reason - and there is no doubt that there is risk here. It is a case of judging and balancing when the reward outweighs the risk. In this case, there is an argument that you honour your QB/leadership by allowing them to do what they need to do. Maas will be well-positioned to determine what that's worth as he builds chemistry and culture.
    One thing I wish we would do with Harris is take him out in short yardage situations like we did with Jordan Lynch in 2015. Winnipeg does it with Streveler and Toronto and BC did it with Fajardo. Just too much chance of him getting cheap shotted or getting a leg rolled on. Something to be said about wanting to keep his rhythm going but it's not like any of the backups here are proven CFL QB's if Harris goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    One thing I wish we would do with Harris is take him out in short yardage situations like we did with Jordan Lynch in 2015. Winnipeg does it with Streveler and Toronto and BC did it with Fajardo. Just too much chance of him getting cheap shotted or getting a leg rolled on. Something to be said about wanting to keep his rhythm going but it's not like any of the backups here are proven CFL QB's if Harris goes down.
    I get what you are saying but I believe the CFL made a rule change a few years back that the opposing D can only sub players in if the Offence does, so Maas response to that was to run tempo on short yardage so as not to allow the the opposition to send their jumbo package in.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 07-14-2019 at 09:22 AM.

vCash

I get what you are saying but I believe the CFL made a rule changes a few years back that the opposing D can only sub players in if the Offence does, so Maas response to that was to run tempo on short yardage so as not to allow the the opposition to send their jumbo package in.
    ahh... good point
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I get what you are saying but I believe the CFL made a rule changes a few years back that the opposing D can only sub players in if the Offence does, so Maas response to that was to run tempo on short yardage so as not to allow the the opposition to send their jumbo package in.
    I actually didnt know that, thanks for the knowledge
    #PizStrong

vCash

Too be fair, I would make the same sound if Boateng were chasing me
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Greaves was outstanding in the 2015 Cup run. It was a week after we traded Nichols to Wpg. that we got Greaves in another trade with the Bombers though. Traded an import Olineman and a draft choice for Greaves. It gave us great depth on the Oline with Brian Simmons and Andrew Jones backing up Sorenson, MOD, Greaves, Washington and Baptiste.
    Good memory! We traded Selvish Capers and a second round draft pick in 2016 for Greaves on Sept 9. Bombers selected DE Trent Corney, who was with the team for 3 years I think?

Korey Jones by Eskies from Sask PR in 2016? I could be mis-remembering the circumstances of his return to Edmonton ...he might have been activated to Sask active roster by CJ when those wheels started turning. Anyone remember?
    Jones was released May 28, 2016 and re-signed as a free agent Apr 11, 2017. He was a free agent after not being re-signed by the Riders.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I didn't watch any of the Esks game but any time you play a beat down on a team on the road, pretty clear they played extremely well. Lots of encouraging things starting to happen here.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I didn't watch any of the Esks game but any time you play a beat down on a team on the road, pretty clear they played extremely well. Lots of encouraging things starting to happen here.
    You should at least check out the highlight package on youtube just for the Adjei touchdown it was a thing of beauty. I'm a big fan of his though so I might be biased.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    You should at least check out the highlight package on youtube just for the Adjei touchdown it was a thing of beauty. I'm a big fan of his though so I might be biased.
    No promises. I think Adjei is OK but I am not a fan of his.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    He's one of those Andrew Nowacki type players that isn't flashy but you rarely see them drop a ball. If one wants to see his impact on the team all you have to do is see how excited the sideline was after that play. Maas mentioned a similar reaction in the room when they re watched the play. I also believe hes a sneaky good blocker and probably the reason he sees the field more than Smith, at least it seems that way to me.
    #PizStrong

vCash

He's one of those Andrew Nowacki type players that isn't flashy but you rarely see them drop a ball. If one wants to see his impact on the team all you have to do is see how excited the sideline was after that play. Maas mentioned a similar reaction in the room when they re watched the play. I also believe hes a sneaky good blocker and probably the reason he sees the field more than Smith, at least it seems that way to me.
    He's deceptively good and deceptively quick he won't go for 1000 yards and 15 tds or anything like that but he's one of those role players you need to make the machine work. I sat next to his wife during a game and she was such a sweet lady I always cheer double for Natey when he gets the ball.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Good memory! We traded Selvish Capers and a second round draft pick in 2016 for Greaves on Sept 9. Bombers selected DE Trent Corney, who was with the team for 3 years I think?

Jones was released May 28, 2016 and re-signed as a free agent Apr 11, 2017. He was a free agent after not being re-signed by the Riders.
    Thank you!

vCash

Reillys looking a little rough after facing our D twice

#PizStrong