Thread: Game Day Experience - BC Place

vCash
    Blog Entries

Sports Game Day Experience - BC Place

Was thinking of doing a thread like this since I'll be going to a lot of away games this year.

1st off, haven't been back there since we won the Cup in 2005. It's definitely nicer and isn't as loud as it used to be with the inflatable roof.

- What I DID notice right away was the music. Even thought it was "Country Night" they still played a buttload of hard rock that pumped up the crowd.
    - When the Esks came on the field to start the game they played "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" by Tiny Tim! Why do we not play some sort of mocking music to immediately get into the visiting team's head?
    - Again with the music, they play loud loud loud music while the play clock is running. Until the ball is either snapped or it hits 10 seconds they keep playing. Kick offs as well. I was sure there was some sort of rule that didn't allow that. It sure explains a lot of the time count violations other teams get in BC.
    - Mini Footballs. BC didn't get 1 friggin touchdown and they threw out more balls to the kids than all the Esks home games so far this year. There were Hype team kids at every corner, midfield and in the endzones and each of them had a collapsible laundry bag to pull from. When they were empty, they just went and refilled them. I'm sure every kid there got a ball last night.
    - I will NEVER complain about our concessions costing too much again... $20 for a Budweiser and a bottle of water. $15 for 3 small chicken strips (more like oversized nuggets) and fries. $11 for a 1oz. Ceasar... Nachos and cheese were $9!!! None of them accept debit so you need to have cash or credit card. (I understand this saves time for people having to put a pin in but giving change takes just as much time doesn't it?)
    - Easy to get around and bathrooms everywhere!!! Almost at the top of every section there's a washroom.
    - Granted it's nice to be closer to the field and with the upper deck closed off it makes it feel more intimate and in theory it should get the crowd hyped a bit more but it seems the opposite. Many times they'd pan through the crowd on the big screen and nobody was looking at the game or seemed that enthused. They don't stand for their fight song? Wow...
    - Understandably the fans are upset about the performance of their team but the boo birds were out early in the game and nobody is impressed with Mike so far. They want to give him back for a draft pick...
    - Seats are comfy and the cup holders are in front of you instead of on the arm rests like we have now. I prefer them in front if you have nobody sitting in front of you.
    - It was hot as balls in that place last night. Holy crap. Always forget how humid it is to play there.
    - I missed having a big scoreboard. Unless I was looking right at it, all I could see was the smaller one they showed on the advertising ring around the top...

At any rate it was a good experience and I like their barn but there's still no place like home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Insert witty comment here...

vCash

Re: Game Day Experience - BC Place

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Was thinking of doing a thread like this since I'll be going to a lot of away games this year.

1st off, haven't been back there since we won the Cup in 2005. It's definitely nicer and isn't as loud as it used to be with the inflatable roof.

- What I DID notice right away was the music. Even thought it was "Country Night" they still played a buttload of hard rock that pumped up the crowd.
    - When the Esks came on the field to start the game they played "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" by Tiny Tim! Why do we not play some sort of mocking music to immediately get into the visiting team's head?
    - Again with the music, they play loud loud loud music while the play clock is running. Until the ball is either snapped or it hits 10 seconds they keep playing. Kick offs as well. I was sure there was some sort of rule that didn't allow that. It sure explains a lot of the time count violations other teams get in BC.
    - Mini Footballs. BC didn't get 1 friggin touchdown and they threw out more balls to the kids than all the Esks home games so far this year. There were Hype team kids at every corner, midfield and in the endzones and each of them had a collapsible laundry bag to pull from. When they were empty, they just went and refilled them. I'm sure every kid there got a ball last night.
    - I will NEVER complain about our concessions costing too much again... $20 for a Budweiser and a bottle of water. $15 for 3 small chicken strips (more like oversized nuggets) and fries. $11 for a 1oz. Ceasar... Nachos and cheese were $9!!! None of them accept debit so you need to have cash or credit card. (I understand this saves time for people having to put a pin in but giving change takes just as much time doesn't it?)
    - Easy to get around and bathrooms everywhere!!! Almost at the top of every section there's a washroom.
    - Granted it's nice to be closer to the field and with the upper deck closed off it makes it feel more intimate and in theory it should get the crowd hyped a bit more but it seems the opposite. Many times they'd pan through the crowd on the big screen and nobody was looking at the game or seemed that enthused. They don't stand for their fight song? Wow...
    - Understandably the fans are upset about the performance of their team but the boo birds were out early in the game and nobody is impressed with Mike so far. They want to give him back for a draft pick...
    - Seats are comfy and the cup holders are in front of you instead of on the arm rests like we have now. I prefer them in front if you have nobody sitting in front of you.
    - It was hot as balls in that place last night. Holy crap. Always forget how humid it is to play there.
    - I missed having a big scoreboard. Unless I was looking right at it, all I could see was the smaller one they showed on the advertising ring around the top...

At any rate it was a good experience and I like their barn but there's still no place like home.
    Did you get garlic fries?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Am I the only one who saw that Boydo attached a picture called "Balls.jpg" and got instantly worried?
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Am I the only one who saw that Boydo attached a picture called "Balls.jpg" and got instantly worried?
    You open it first and let me know if its safe LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Went to a game last year and came away with the same impression in regards to the music. While we probably can't play ours as loud as they do, I think our selection could be a lot better.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Didn't get them myself but tried some and they're damned tasty!

vCash

Yeah! And they protect you from vampires!
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

I can't decide if I should be proud or insulted by this...

vCash

Chose not to click on it since I'm at work.

vCash
    Blog Entries

You cowards! It's a picture of the laundry hamper of mini footballs they were throwing out...

- - - Updated - - -

Honest!

vCash

You cowards! It's a picture of the laundry hamper of mini footballs they were throwing out...

- - - Updated - - -

Honest!
    When the first file is "Field", second "Balls", how would not expect people to be afraid?

vCash

Yeah I really enjoyed the game day experience BUT...

It was nothing like being at a game back home. I found there was little atmosphere and there was maybe 10000 fans max.

It was really enjoyable, especially with the product we put out on the field... but it left me wanting something more like the experiences Iíve had at Commonwealth in the past.

I know you guys like to harp on the home game production, but itís still second to none against Calgary and BC in my mind.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Haha you da best! Stole my thunder, but it’s cool ��

You. Are. Welcome.

Also - The BC hype team is so good. Makes the Felions unnecessary....and (hype team is) way more 2019 in structure & content. Did you see the little girl from the hype team who dances just as well as the one in the Missy Elliott videos? She’s sooo good.

Noticed last weekend in Toronto that the Argos cheer team entered 2019 & added guys. Their lifts & acro aren’t as complex as the Eskies’ cheer team, but it automatically makes everything they do more athletic even with only the dance choreography. They seem to be a combo cheer & hype team & it totally works.

- - - Updated - - -

Honest!
    Damn, I was hoping it was Pizmo's ballz

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by coach_ditka View Post
    Damn, I was hoping it was Pizmo's ballz
    But then he would have needed a microscope.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    But then he would have needed a macroscope.
    fixed
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4thewin View Post
    Yeah I really enjoyed the game day experience BUT...

It was nothing like being at a game back home. I found there was little atmosphere and there was maybe 10000 fans max.

It was really enjoyable, especially with the product we put out on the field... but it left me wanting something more like the experiences I’ve had at Commonwealth in the past.

I know you guys like to harp on the home game production, but it’s still second to none against Calgary and BC in my mind.
    The 17000+ reported seemed accurate. That's only 60% of lower bowl capacity. It felt to me like it was a slightly smaller crowd than the season opener which was 18000+.

I think the lack of atmosphere had a lot to do with the lethargic performances we've seen for all but the Calgary game this season. I don't think the roof being closed helped either. The climatic atmosphere was sticky, muggy and stale before the game even started. Opening the roof doesn't necessarily give it an open air feel but definitely helps provide some airflow and injection of fresh air. Some of us at Lionbackers were questioning the reasoning for closing it. Usually it takes a weather forecast calling for rain during the game to make them leave it closed on a summer night. The basic rule of thumb is whichever decision is made regarding roof open or close is final. They will neither open it or close it part way through an event if it happens to suddenly start to rain. In hindsight it left me wondering if it had something to do with the TNF Concert series. Maybe for acoustics purposes for the country dude they kept it closed. Or perhaps they have to adhere to some sort of noise bylaws that mandate it be closed for concert situations.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    The 17000+ reported seemed accurate. That's only 60% of lower bowl capacity. It felt to me like it was a slightly smaller crowd than the season opener which was 18000+.

I think the lack of atmosphere had a lot to do with the lethargic performances we've seen for all but the Calgary game this season. I don't think the roof being closed helped either. The climatic atmosphere was sticky, muggy and stale before the game even started. Opening the roof doesn't necessarily give it an open air feel but definitely helps provide some airflow and injection of fresh air. Some of us at Lionbackers were questioning the reasoning for closing it. Usually it takes a weather forecast calling for rain during the game to make them leave it closed on a summer night. The basic rule of thumb is whichever decision is made regarding roof open or close is final. They will neither open it or close it part way through an event if it happens to suddenly start to rain. In hindsight it left me wondering if it had something to do with the TNF Concert series. Maybe for acoustics purposes for the country dude they kept it closed. Or perhaps they have to adhere to some sort of noise bylaws that mandate it be closed for concert situations.
    On TV it looked like the roof was open as, if I'm not mistaken, Reilly was looking into some sort of sun on his first possession. Does it shine through the side?
    #PizStrong

vCash

I generally really enjoy the game experience in Vancouver, but I'm a guy that doesn't need many bells and whistles so long as there is decent leg room.

The jumbotron, at first, was distracting - it's so big that it kind of draws your eyes and you find yourself watching the play up there at times instead of the field, but have gotten through that over the years - it's a nice complement to the game, and they typically do a lot of crowd shots to keep folks engaged.

The one aspect that I'd really laud the Lions for, as an organization, is their sustained messaging around bullying and violence against women. Their "Don't be a Bystander" program in recent years - highlighting that it's not enough to just not condone behaviours, we need to speak out against them - is one of the best I've seen in decades. The team also does a good job of using players for PSAs through the game, giving them some profile without their helmets for a change and a chance to represent a cause.

vCash

Oh, there is a rule surrounding that (see below).

Article 10 ó Electronic Noise

In the event that the home team permits in its stadium the use of either electronic equipment or high volume loudspeakers when the visiting team is attempting to put the ball in play, with the result that the game is delayed, the home team shall be subject to penalty for delay of game.

What seems to be lacking is any consistency in enforcing these rules. This wouldn't be the first time the Lions were accused of this kind of thing... What needs to happen is the visiting team needs to say something to the officials...

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

And then there is the Lions' "13th man" operating the score clock
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Interesting as I listened to the Lions post game show and heard a few people who complained about the volume of the music...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esk Reporter View Post
    Oh, there is a rule surrounding that (see below).

Article 10 ó Electronic Noise

In the event that the home team permits in its stadium the use of either electronic equipment or high volume loudspeakers when the visiting team is attempting to put the ball in play, with the result that the game is delayed, the home team shall be subject to penalty for delay of game.

What seems to be lacking is any consistency in enforcing these rules. This wouldn't be the first time the Lions were accused of this kind of thing... What needs to happen is the visiting team needs to say something to the officials...
    I'm surprised to learn that this rule is even still on the books. It seems to be regularly flaunted and never enforced, to the point that I presumed that it had been repealed with the thought that "game experience" trumped "competitive fairness".

vCash

The excessively loud music at CFL games sucks. 25 mins - before kickoff- at the last Redblacks game the music was so loud I couldn't converse with my 10 year old daughter who was sitting next to me. The hype and crude crowd manipulation at CFL games is offensive to ears and intellect.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    The excessively loud music at CFL games sucks. 25 mins - before kickoff- at the last Redblacks game the music was so loud I couldn't converse with my 10 year old daughter who was sitting next to me. The hype and crude crowd manipulation at CFL games is offensive to ears and intellect.
    You would have no issues with Eskimos games then. The music is so quiet. It's more like that background music they play at malls or in elevators.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    You would have no issues with Eskimos games then. The music is so quiet. It's more like that background music they play at malls or in elevators.
    Honestly I'd rather have elevator muzak than the crap DJ Jello plays
    In Rod we trust

vCash

The music is too loud at Commonwealth, pure trash.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    The music is too loud at Commonwealth, pure trash.
    Not this year. It's been barely audible.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden