Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos vs. Alouettes; Game 5

vCash

Hot Eskimos vs. Alouettes; Game 5

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs. Alouettes; Game 5

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Only the one change this week. Good consistency for the group moving into Week 6.

vCash

Only the one change this week. Good consistency for the group moving into Week 6.
    I want to see how Saxelid handles starting, I have high hopes for him
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I still do not understand how they make up their roster. They have 5 Olinemen and only 1 back up. They have 4 Dlinemen and have a back up for every Dline position. I know that someone probably from the dline will get scratched but what will it be 1 guy?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

and coming off one of the more convincing wins we've seen in awhile. I suspect we are going to be seeing a steady dose of Stanback through the screen and rushing. Last time we played them we gave up an average of 7.9 yards a carry. We are going to have to be better than that tomorrow.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I still do not understand how they make up their roster. They have 5 Olinemen and only 1 back up. They have 4 Dlinemen and have a back up for every Dline position. I know that someone probably from the dline will get scratched but what will it be 1 guy?
    I'd like to have 2 back up olinemen as well
    In Rod we trust

vCash

not sure what their thinking is but whatever they are doing on the Dline is working so I guess we just have to trust that they have a plan in place, should we have 2 Oline injuries in one game. Too be fair Q, I agree with you in that I would also have 2 backups on the Oline.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I'd like to have 2 back up olinemen as well
    Me too. It wouldn't take much to be down a couple of olinemen even for a few series and you'd be in trouble. If you only had a couple of Dline back ups, you'd still have 50% of your Dline being rotated out to be fresh. If an injury happened, you could move up a line backer to be rush end. As an example. Digs is listed at 6'2, 230. Usher, your starting D End is 6'3, 235. So very little difference in size. In college, linebackers do tend to rush the QB more than they do in CFL I believe. If you have to move over a Dlineman to play on the Oline, I doubt they know all the blocking schemes overly well or the calls vs a linebacker is going to know the defense so I would think it be easier to replace a D End vs an Olineman.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    not sure what their thinking is but whatever they are doing on the Dline is working so I guess we just have to trust that they have a plan in place, should we have 2 Oline injuries in one game. Too be fair Q, I agree with you in that I would also have 2 backups on the Oline.
    The defense is playing well so I understand to a degree that you don't want to mess with what you are doing but they lost O'Donnell last game so they had zero back ups for part of the game. All it would have taken is an Olineman to get rolled up on by accident or when the line is doing a short yardage plunge ahead, one of them gets fallen on weird or they hit something funny and even if they only have to miss a few series, what do you do? They are winning and maybe it's not a big of a deal as I make it but I have always thought the Oline is the most important part of a football team. If you can't block or protect the QB, your offence won't do anything. All you have to do is look at the Lions. Their Oline is playing horrible and as a result Reilly can't do anything because he barely has time to grip the ball before he's getting drilled. I don't think he forgot how to be a good QB during the offseason.

vCash

Almondo can play O-line, no?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Almondo can play O-line, no?
    Maybe. I don't coach professional ball nor do I see every practice but I assume that the blocking schemes the Oline run are something you would need to practice to know. In a pinch he could probably do it but considering Harris hurt his knee a bit last game, if it was me, I wouldn't be chancing having a guy who might miss a block because he doesn't play the position normally and doesn't practice it much.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 07-19-2019 at 10:10 AM.

vCash

Likely Bazzie again....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Likely Bazzie again....
    He seems to be the odd man out each game for some reason which I find strange given he was the big free agent signing last year.

vCash

He seems to be the odd man out each game for some reason which I find strange given he was the big free agent signing last year.
    I'm of the opinion that its more of what Usher did then what Bazzie didn't. I have spent a bunch of time watching Usher and he collapses the pocket as well as anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

The defense is playing well so I understand to a degree that you don't want to mess with what you are doing but they lost O'Donnell last game so they had zero back ups for part of the game. All it would have taken is an Olineman to get rolled up on by accident or when the line is doing a short yardage plunge ahead, one of them gets fallen on weird or they hit something funny and even if they only have to miss a few series, what do you do? They are winning and maybe it's not a big of a deal as I make it but I have always thought the Oline is the most important part of a football team. If you can't block or protect the QB, your offence won't do anything. All you have to do is look at the Lions. Their Oline is playing horrible and as a result Reilly can't do anything because he barely has time to grip the ball before he's getting drilled. I don't think he forgot how to be a good QB during the offseason.
    Oh I know exactly what you are saying and if it were me, I would have another Olineman on the roster. All I'm saying is that i'm sure they have done the math on this, like how many times over the last 10 years have 2 lineman went down in a game, kinda stat.
    #PizStrong

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Mondo would be the emergency OL
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Have you not seen the job Usher has done? He has the most pure athletic ability I’ve seen in a new player since Jefferson showed up here in 2014. That is why Bazzie is getting the healthy scratch...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Maybe. I don't coach professional ball nor do I see every practice but I assume that the blocking schemes the Oline run are something you would need to practice to know. In a pinch he could probably do it but considering Harris hurt his knee a bit last game, if it was me, I wouldn't be chancing having a guy who might miss a block because he doesn't play the position normally and doesn't practice it much.
    I don’t disagree with what you are saying, but I’m pretty sure he’s the 2nd O-line back up.

In the end, the coaches must be comfortable enough with what he’s shown as an OL to be willing to go that route for a game roster.
    Eddie Steele did alright when it was his turn. Quinn (can’t remember his surname) did a good job for the Stampeders when he had to do it.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 07-19-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Typos!!

vCash

I don’t disagree with what you are saying, but I’m pretty sure he’s the 2nd O-line back up.

In the end, the coaches must be confortable enough with what he’s shown as an OL to be willing to go that route for a game roster.
    Eddie Steele did alright when it was his turn. Quinn (can’t remember his surname) fid a good job for the Stampeders when he had to do it.
    Good memory! Quinn Smith was the guy with the Stamps.

I was going to mention Eddie Steele. He actually wound up starting a handful of games for us in either 2014 or 2015 I believe.

#PizStrong

vCash

Als Posey is out. / BJ cunningham questioable.

That Quan Bray is a sure handed guy for mtl though

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post

I think if we can stop their running game (by both RB & QB) the DB's will be able to take care of their receivers. Well... I hope.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

We've been running this way for years now, not sure why it's still such a big surprise every depth chart day. In the unlikely event of two OL injuries, Mondo hops over to guard. Rosters are small and you can't afford to dress too many guys that have a 90% chance of never seeing the field during a game, and if you do chose to go that route, then your sacrificing somewhere else.

vCash

SEC receivers man...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

In the end, the coaches must be comfortable enough with what he’s shown as an OL to be willing to go that route for a game roster.
    Eddie Steele did alright when it was his turn. Quinn (can’t remember his surname) did a good job for the Stampeders when he had to do it.
    It would definitely be the emergency situation, as you then take him out of the game defensively.

The fact is, you don't have to pull a D-lineman to get another O-lineman - it is essentially a choice to value a Canadian that is contributing on special teams. This would likely be one of the FBs like Tuck, Green or Taylor that could be removed for Deane. It's not that the coaches haven't reasoned it out, they're just taking a calculated risk and attempting to maximize what they can get in the other phases, believing that they have enough to get through on the O-line. Would I feel more comfortable with 2 backups dressed, absolutely. Has it bit us so far - not yet. To date, they've rolled the dice and won, and knock on wood, hopefully they're continue to have it work out.

In terms of comparing OL and DL depth and necessity - having not played either at a competitive level, and with no disrespect to those that have and/or do, it seems to me that a d-lineman will likely have to expend a lot more energy through the course of most plays than their opponent on the O-Line. They're going up against a man bigger than themselves, they're having to attack rather than defend, they're having to chase down smaller, faster guys on running plays and pursue sideline to sideline and follow the play downfield, not to mention taking the pounding of taking on a running game.

That's not to say that the wear and tear on an Olineman is easy. There is no doubt that they get battered, bruised and beaten and expend more energy in 60 minutes than I do in a week. I would estimate that, through the course of a game, they are maybe running 1/3 to 1/2 the steps that their defensive counterpart is. Again, not a lesser job, not an easier job, but potentially one that doesn't require the same rotation typically.

vCash

Cunningham confirmed out as well. The Als listed starting receiver corps has 35 games of CFL experience combined and Geno Lewis has 24 of them.

Ellingson has 95 himself. Every Esk receiver but Smith has played at least 35 CFL games. Massive experience advantage for the Esks passing game.

Stopping the run game will be the obvious key to success for this game.
    Last edited by T-BONE; 07-19-2019 at 10:29 PM.

vCash

Our oline is starting to be a big concern.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Our oline is starting to be a big concern.
    I dont see it that what whatsoever. Matty went down midgame. The Oline held its own for the rest of the game. We thought there would be issues almost every week and every week the Oline performs better than we expected. I see that trend continuing. I've been most impressed with the Oline so far this season - way exceeding my expectations

could it collapse? Sure. with another injury would be my guess. But despite all the injuries its already has, its been performing really well.

vCash

Bazzie is the scratch again according to Dave Campbell.

vCash

Let’s go eskimos!!!

vCash

I’m excited to see this defence again! Got to keep contain on Adams. Hope the Esks make a statement today that we deserve to be in the conversation with the Bombers for tops in the league.

#PizStrong

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie