Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Eskimos vs. Alouettes; Game 5

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs. Alouettes; Game 5

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    You’d think they would have a meteorologist make the weather decisions.
    There was lightening west of the stadium when they called the weather break.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

About the only thing I haven't heard that I felt was relevant was the specific match-up that Montreal had with us. Going in, I felt that the Als strength was their secondary, rolling Tommie Campbell, Ciante Evans and Patrick Levels. I really felt that their front 7 was exploitable, and figured that we'd be running on them a ton.

The first part proved out well, presuming it was their secondary that took away the intermediate and deep game (and not Maas suddenly losing aggression), and their DBs ability to not allow a lot of YAC on the short catches.

The second part was a real under-estimation of either their talent or their coaching for the front 7. As I said to Parkies near the end of the game, even after that effort, could you name an Als DL other than Bowman? They did a fantastic job of controlling things up front... and I'll probably assume that was maybe a little bit more of us not being up to where we needed to be in addition to their performing well. The addition of Ackie next to Muamba is a very capable force to be reckoned with in busting the ratio.

Montreal has been improving - we've all seen that. This wasn't a case of an overnight turnaround, but it was absolutely a game that I felt like we would've/could've/should've won - as well as Montreal played in some phases, we were our own worst enemy with inopportune penalties, some drops and some missed assignments. I know the temperature has been mentioned as a factor, and I have no doubt that it was tough to adjust to for the Esks that are used to playing without that heat and humidity, but ultimately, we can't leave things to get to be that close where certain variables make the difference.

I'd said in some previous posts that I didn't feel that we yet know what some of the teams are as measuring sticks yet... pretty much aside from Winnipeg... and maybe, to a degree, BC and Toronto on the opposite end of the spectrum. The next few weeks should shed a little light on what the Esks are made of and whether the chemistry and character are what we've been led to believe they are. A bounce-back on a short week, with the other team sitting there waiting for us isn't an ideal recipe, especially with a physically draining game in that heat, but there won't be any acceptable excuses for leaving two points on the table against the Argos.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    is there a more fun play to call than flea flicker?
    What’s a flea flicker?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    What’s a flea flicker?
    Traditionally, a flea flicker was a trick play in which the QB handed off or pitched out to a RB or receiver; the RB/receiver would pitch it back to the QB and the QB would throw a deep ball down field. Over the years, most offensive trick plays are now often dubbed a flea flicker - such as the Montreal reverse (or was it a double reverse) in which the receiver threw the ball back to Vernon Adams for the TD.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Traditionally, a flea flicker was a trick play in which the QB handed off or pitched out to a RB or receiver; the RB/receiver would pitch it back to the QB and the QB would throw a deep ball down field. Over the years, most offensive trick plays are now often dubbed a flea flicker - such as the Montreal reverse (or was it a double reverse) in which the receiver threw the ball back to Vernon Adams for the TD.
    Thank you

vCash

Just powered through the game trying to re watch a few key plays:

1. Kenny Staffords TD that was taken back. Kelly took the holding call on this one to bring it back. Kelly had himself in a really good position the whole play but Harris stepped up and Kelly held on for a split second. My opinion is that this same play happens at least a dozen times on each side EVERY game. Not convinced it had anything to do with play.
    2. INT #1 - Of the two interecptions I don't have as much of a problem with this one as Hunter did get him with his hip. In my opinion Hunter was making a break on his man as he just bent his route to the sideline but he did make contact with the receiver.
    3. INT #2 - This one was absolute garbage, as far as I can see. The call was on Glass but it looks like he intiated contact around 5 or 6 yards down field but never actually slowed up his man as Glass fell and his guy was in the middle of the field WIDE OPEN. The play went to the corner and Hoover picked it off. This resulted in a montreal field goal

Put the Glass penalty side by side with the missed call on the Collins Jr play about 2 minuted into the game and there is no doubt that the Collins one was WAY worse.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Kenny Staffords TD that was taken back. Kelly took the holding call on this one to bring it back. Kelly had himself in a really good position the whole play but Harris stepped up and Kelly held on for a split second. My opinion is that this same play happens at least a dozen times on each side EVERY game. Not convinced it had anything to do with play.
    I had mentioned the play during the live game feed. To me, it looked like holding live, but I went back and watched it three times during commercial break. Kelly appeared to be holding the whole way, but agree - it's the sort of hold that happens on every play and is usually let go. Problem was, the DE cut back inside just as Harris was throwing the ball and at that point the grab was obvious "clutch and detain" on Kelly's part (my perception of it). Yes, the DE wouldn't have made it to Harris before the ball was released, but the official was watching the hold, not the QB, so I'll understand considering the time between the hold, QB throw and flag in the air was very brief. I'd support the official on his call (it's all part of the human element), but I'm wondering if perhaps this is one of those moments where the eye in the sky can overrule an on field call.

That play would have been a huge momentum swing for us.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-23-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I had mentioned the play during the live game feed. To me, it looked like holding live, but I went back and watched it three times during commercial break. Kelly appeared to be holding the whole way, but agree - it's the sort of hold that happens on every play and is usually let go. Problem was, the DE cut back inside just as Harris was throwing the ball and at that point the grab was obvious "clutch and detain" on Kelly's part (my perception of it). Yes, the DE wouldn't have made it to Harris before the ball was released, but the official was watching the hold, not the QB, so I'll understand considering the time between the hold, QB throw and flag in the air was very brief. I'd support the official on his call (it's all part of the human element), but I'm wondering if perhaps this is one of those moments where the eye in the sky can overrule an on field call.

That play would have been a huge moment swing for us.
    Ya by the letter of the law, it was a hold no doubt. Would be interesting to see how many similar plays you could find if you watched specifically for that.
    #PizStrong

vCash

It would’ve been nice to see some other angles of those game changing penalty calls, but TSN felt that penalties that took big plays off the board were of no importance to the viewer. It’s much more important to have an MMA fighter who couldn’t give a **** about football and barely spoke English on instead.

P.s. **** TSN

vCash

So I’ve had a couple days to digest this game and two things concern me;
    1) it seems CJ Gable is hurt cause I think he only touched the ball 2-3 times in the second half and had a terrible game. I thought the O-line played great without o donnell
    2) I’m questioning Harris’s arm strength, doesn’t seem like he can throw the long wide ball fast and deep enough. Always enough time for another D player to close on the receiver
    - I thought defense played well and Jackson had a solid day returning kicks. Ofefense was off

vCash

Anonymous thoughts from CFL general managers, coaches and personnel people at the Athletic.....

'• Not one ****ing penalty on Montreal’s offence in this last game. How does that happen? They’ll go 16-2 if the refs let them do what they’re doing."

"• Montreal’s tackles tackle. We’ll see if Toronto’s tackles get away with it, too."
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Anonymous thoughts from CFL general managers, coaches and personnel people at the Athletic.....

'• Not one ****ing penalty on Montreal’s offence in this last game. How does that happen? They’ll go 16-2 if the refs let them do what they’re doing."

"• Montreal’s tackles tackle. We’ll see if Toronto’s tackles get away with it, too."
    Is a subscription to the Athletic worth it PDO?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post

doesnt surprise me we had some questionable officiating last week. CFL currently owns Montreal and is showcasing them. Less penalties makes it appear they are better than they are so the buyer will be sucked in. ( all IMO)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Is a subscription to the Athletic worth it PDO?
    It greatly depends on the teams you follow imo. I hate their Ravens coverage, their CFL coverage is mostly trash, but i like Willis, Bourne and Dom for NHL.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.