Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    Tevaun Smith was wide open in the end zone on that play
    Yeah. That was frustrating to watch Harris throw into double coverage with Smith wide open at the back of the endzone.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

That was a McDermid-esque performance on teams tonight. Unacceptable all around.

vCash

We have been out special teamed for about a decade now. Mean while very single other team in the league is finding these guys falling out of trees. Whyte better get his head out of his butt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce LeeRoy View Post
    Way too many FG are acceptable to Maas, 3rd and 2 on the 20ish. You gotta go for for the win or you’re probably going to lose. It’s a lesson he refuses to learn, at all.

Very disappointed.
    according to football lore, Maas scored incredibly high (one of the highest scores ever) on some standardized test that is supposed to measure QB intellect, however he seems incapable of learning and adjusting quickly and sometimes not at all - as I noted in an earlier post today, he keeps stubbornly doing the wrong things. I question either the score he got or the validity of the test. I realize this seems harsh but I think it's valid
    "If you want peace, prepare for war.Ē Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Roman general) 400 AD

vCash

Well we were missing our two best receivers, best Canadian on offense, have tons of injuries on defence, and lost
    Because of special teams. I actually think we have a good team and still have a chance to finish first.

If any of you watch the kickoff return for a TD do any of you agree there was a blatant illegal tackle/hold block on the Eskimo that should have been in the lane that would have definitely stuffed the return around the Calgary 35.

Would appreciate confirmation on this
    Last edited by mattdunigan; 08-03-2019 at 09:14 PM.

vCash

Special teams lost the game.

Dammit.

7 - 48 OFFENCE (NO - YARDS) 2 - 7

That is the penalties, guess which side the Eskimos is?

One of Calgary's offsides was about 7 yards offside so they pretty much had to call that one. The command centre had to call two roughing the passers that were not called on the field. The Calgary defence only had one penalty that was called (and accepted) against them by on field officials.

Harris gets hit below the knees well after a throw and there is no RTP? Casher did not try to avoid him but did his him so it is pretty clear RTP. (See the Rule below)

It was clearly obvious that Calgary offence and defence aren't going to get penalties.

Al Bradbury should be fined for this performance.

Article 5 ó Roughing The Passer

Because the act of passing puts the passer in a particularly vulnerable position to injury, special rules against roughing the passer apply. Once the ball is released, defensive players must avoid all unnecessary contact with the passer. A player shall be penalized for any act of Unnecessary Roughness to the passer, including but not limited to:

Contacting the passer in an unnecessary manner, including stuffing him to the ground, violently throwing him to the ground, and landing on him with most of the defender's weight,
    Any blow above the passer's shoulder,
    All rushing defenders must attempt to avoid forcibly hitting a passer in the pocket, at or below the knees, either if their path to the passer was unrestricted, or if they are coming off a blocker,
    Attacking the passer who, after releasing the ball, is either standing still or fading backwards and is obviously out of the play and remains out of the play,
    When the quarterback slides feet first, all unnecessary contact must be avoided. The slide must be done in a timely manner to allow the defence to avoid such contact.
    Contacting the passer if either the initial source of contact, or primary source of contact, is the defender's helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    according to football lore, Maas scored incredibly high (one of the highest scores ever) on some standardized test that is supposed to measure QB intellect, however he seems incapable of learning and adjusting quickly and sometimes not at all - as I noted in an earlier post today, he keeps stubbornly doing the wrong things. I question either the score he got or the validity of the test. I realize this seems harsh but I think it's valid
    I read that somewhere. The Heimlich test or something. Guaranteed not to choke.

Well, I will never know if my calls would have worked out. But I know 💯 his calls that havenít worked out. I like and respect the man. But he has no balls. I picture him kicking away the ball and getting scored on to lose the Grey Cup.

- - - Updated - - -

On a 3rd and 1.2.

vCash

Calgary should have lost to Ottawa last week, Toronto the week before and BC in week two.

If not for a flagrant missed hold on their kickoff return TD they would have lost today too.

Not sure how they are doing it.

I actually think Arbuckle is better than BLM. Bet he is traded in the offseason that will be bad as his salary would pay for 3 all star canadians

Calgary should have lost to Ottawa last week, Toronto the week before and BC in week two.

If not for a flagrant missed hold on their kickoff return TD they would have lost today too.

Not sure how they are doing it.

I actually think Arbuckle is better than BLM. Bet he is traded in the offseason that will be bad as his salary would pay for 3 all star canadians
    Dana White always says.

Never leave it in the hands of the judges. If the Edmonton Eskimos played with that philosophy. Theyíd probably do alright.

vCash

So after watching the kick off return TD Calgary had 2 blatant holds on the blocks from two different players that created that huge hole.

the first one is 46 from Calgary has his arms wrapped around Taylor on the Calgary 30literally hugging him completely preventing Taylor from getting to the returner .

The second one is number O from Calgary also wrapping his arms Around 34 from Edmonton also at the 30 yard line.

Both holds completely prevented two separate Edmonton players from filling the lane and either making the tackle or at least preventing him from going through that lane.

I took screen shots but couldn’t copy and past them can anybody else see that?

That Td comes back and I suspect the esks won

vCash

D is great.. maybe a little relaxed today but still great.

Offense i am willing to cut a little slack as our "top" two receivers where out. Cal's front 4 is pretty good and wasn't letting harris set up enough imo. Lots of rushed throws. And a fair amount of "what where you thinking" throws to. I"m sure when they look at the film Harris will be sick to see Smith wide open in the back of the endzone. I seriously think they need to rethink Gable. Not necessarily replace him, but we need a change of pace RB. Morris, Williams all quick and could get to the outside. Gable can't.

Special teams. My god. Whyte with misses again. Couple bad punts for Hugh... but.. Jackson should never ever see a return again. Shouldn't u be able to get at least 10 on a kick off return? IIRC Jackson had 4, 2, 5 yards on kick offs. Then theres that fumble. I knew damn well the Esks better be watching for Morris/Williams as they are imo the biggest threat. Williams won the game for them.

We had how many holding penalties tonight? 6? it appeared we where going to be called on holds that happen almost every play, for every team in every league. Calgary not so much.

I'm tired of having our games manipulated by the official and/or command center. We get called for a play a game or so ago, and the exact same play happens on us and the opposition doesn't get flagged.
    Missed holds in key plays on Calgary and we are dinged for even the chintziest of holds. RTP calls not called when by the rulebook, and its been called before for other teams is blatantly ignored for us

Not only do we have to beat a football team we have to beat an entire officiating crew and command center.

IMO TWO RTP didn't get called on Calgary when similar hits for other teams have been called, yet for us they aren't.

I know theres fan's that are acting like the sky is falling.. but we are 4-3 and the games we've lost we haven't been blown out...With the amount of people we have injured I'll take a 4-3 record. The D has shown me they can play against anyone. The O needs a little more work but It's not like its dead last in the league. Maas has a pretty conservitive offense / ball control offense for Harris. I think he's realized he needs to open it up more. Maas' Harris' offense is pretty much the polar opposite of a Reilly offense.

I still say we finish first or second in the West. The D is that good and the offense will improve - don't forget we got a lot of deemed starters on the 6 game... its gunna get better.

vCash

Thought I'd console myself by playing that little CFL Football Frenzy phone app, because I always beat it.

Ended up 16-2. Lost both games against Calgary.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

How do I post a screen shot from my photos here?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Thought I'd console myself by playing that little CFL Football Frenzy phone app, because I always beat it.

Ended up 16-2. Lost both games against Calgary.
    nothing to console we're 4-3 clean up the ST get some firepower on offence and we could take it to the grey cup. Ya gotta Beleeve Glen
    In Rod we trust

vCash

So after watching the kick off return TD Calgary had 2 blatant holds on the blocks from two different players that created that huge hole.

the first one is 46 from Calgary has his arms wrapped around Taylor on the Calgary 30literally hugging him completely preventing Taylor from getting to the returner .

The second one is number O from Calgary also wrapping his arms Around 34 from Edmonton also at the 30 yard line.

Both holds completely prevented two separate Edmonton players from filling the lane and either making the tackle or at least preventing him from going through that lane.

I took screen shots but couldn’t copy and past them can anybody else see that?

That Td comes back and I suspect the esks won
    I mentioned the hold on this thread at the time it happened - why did Maas not challenge? This was a key turning point in the game. Surely you can challenge a missed hold on a return? I understand that sometimes you don't challenge too early in a game especially on a call or non-call that might not be that material, for the sake of preserving your challenge for a later play that might be more material, but this was in the third quarter, and a successful challenge would have taken 7 points off the board and backed the Stamps up. Allowing the return TD to stand, unchallenged, not only gave up 7 points but flipped momentum which EE had just gained by virtue of the long TD pass to Collins. What better challenge was Maas waiting for? Inexcusably bone-headed decision by the HC. If this is on the spotters then we need to sack the current spotters and get new ones. This probably cost us the game. Also where was the 'eye in the sky'? They haven't been shy about calling penalties or reversing calls when the change will adversely affect the Esks. I thought they reviewed all scoring plays?
    Last edited by Archer; 08-03-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war.Ē Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Roman general) 400 AD

vCash

I mentioned the hold on this thread at the time it happened - why did Maas not challenge? This was a key turning point in the game. Surely you can challenge a missed hold on a return? I understand that sometimes you don't challenge too early in a game, for the sake of preserving your challenge, but this was in the third quarter, and a successful challenge would have taken 7 points off the board and backed the Stamps up. Allowing the return TD to stand, unchallenged, not only gave up 7 points but flipped momentum which EE had just gained by virtue of the long TD pass to Collins. Inexcusably bone-headed decision by the HC. If this is on the spotters then we need to sack the current spotters and get new ones. This probably cost us the game. Also where was the 'eye in the sky'? They haven't been shy about calling penalties or reversing calls when the Esks are adversely affected. I thought they reviewed all scoring plays?
    You can only challenge illegal blocks and only if they have been called a penalty on the play (which is ****ed up because you can challenge a call that takes away a return TD but not a missed call that results in a return TD).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    You can only challenge illegal blocks and only if they have been called a penalty on the play (which is ****ed up because you can challenge a call that takes away a return TD but not a missed call that results in a return TD).
    well if so that is truly bleeped up and needs to change - you can challenge any chintzy missed PI or RTP and usually win (the Esks late unsuccessful RTP challenge in today's game notwithstanding - even Suitor was surprised the missed call was not reversed) but not a missed hold that results in a return TD which supplies the margin of victory? the Esks should be raising holy bleep with the league about those missed holds or they will only get more of it on Labour Day and every other game against Calgary including any playoff game
    Last edited by Archer; 08-03-2019 at 10:36 PM.

vCash

I’m not gonna make a whole thread about like last year, but I’ve been tracking strength of schedule like last year. Last year when the Esks were 6-4, I questioned how good they actually were because their schedule had been pretty soft to that point. Then they went on to miss the playoffs.

The Esks have had the 2nd easiest schedule to this point, so being only 1 game over .500 could be a cause for concern imo.
    Last edited by T-BONE; 08-03-2019 at 10:16 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I’m not gonna make a whole thread about like last year, but I’ve been tracking strength of schedule like last year. Last year when the Esks were 6-4, I questioned how good they actually were because their schedule had been pretty soft to that point. Then they went on to miss the playoffs.

The Esks have had the 2nd easiest schedule to this point, so being only 1 game over .500 could be a cause for concern imo.
    that's a valid concern, and yet the 3 losses have all been close losses on the road, 2 of them to Winnipeg & Calgary who most observers think are among the top teams in the league and the 3rd in a game where the Esks got the considerably shorter end of the officiating stick even according to players on other teams. I think the team has a lot of potential and when they get some of their injured players back they should improve, but I'm nearing my breaking point with bad coaching and bad officiating.

vCash

As frustrating as it is that the refs didn’t call either of those blatant holds that enabled the TD kickoff return it is also very frustrating that Harris passed to elliot where there were 4 Db’s playing in that zone and didn’t see Smith wide open about 20 yards to the right.

I really like Harris. Quite a bit more than reilly . Too bad he missed that play.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the bad coaching about? I don’t see that at all

vCash

well if so that is truly bleeped up and needs to change - you can challenge any chintzy missed PI or RTP and usually win (the Esks late unsuccessful RTP challenge in today's game notwithstanding - even Suitor was surprised the missed call was not reversed) but not a missed hold that results in a return TD which supplies the margin of victory? the Esks should be raising holy bleep with the league about those missed holds or they will only get more of it on Labour Day and every other game against Calgary including any playoff game
    By all means letís open up the challenge rules whereby all plays, both offensive & defensive, can be challenged. Iím sure most fans wonít be put off by 5 hour games!

vCash

I like college football challenge rules tbh and I hate challenges on penalties

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...challenge-rule
    In Rod we trust

vCash

A few things that stood out for me:

1. Esks had 10 penalties for 78 yards (Stamps were 8 for 71 yards). Of the 10 penalties, offense had 7 and special teams had 3. D had zero penalties. Great discipline on the D.

2. We had NINE rushing attempts. Unacceptable.

3. Before this rant, I just want to say that I hope Martese Jackson didn't suffer a serious injury. Having said that, considering the lack of contribution on offense by Martese, it doesn't make any sense to continue to use him as a returner (and a roster spot). Let the Canadian kid, Shai Ross back there and have him run it forward like he did this game. Use the extra roster spot for another O-lineman, or let Daniels play, or even have Cooper support Gable. There is no doubt that Martese Jackson has the capability to return one back all the way, but he is hurting the team in more ways than just his lack of return success. That roster spot could be better used by the team.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

As far as road losses go this was frustrating .. but I like the fight in our guys.. even short handed..

D had 3 40 plus yard fgs and 1 td.. ( glass’s coverage on Rodgers on that catch was my only real gripe.. )

I’m frustrated we didn’t use gable more and like Everyone else I really wanna see how we can get gable and cooper on the 42

I’m not disappointed as much frustrated.... we need to win at home and steal 2/3 more road wins and we’re good..

Right the ship Vs Ottawa...

I like our moxie.. I like our dna...

Got some re enforcements coming back.. it’s a marathon
    Last edited by cmbuk; 08-04-2019 at 08:47 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    As far as road losses go this was frustrating .. but I like the fight in our guys.. even short handed..

D had 3 40 plus yard fgs and 1 td.. ( glassís coverage on Rodgers on that catch was my only real gripe.. )

Iím frustrated we didnít use gable more and like Everyone else I really wanna see how we can get gable and cooper on the 42

Iím not disappointed as much frustrated.... we need to win at home and steal 2/3 more road wins and weíre good..

Right the ship Vs Ottawa...

I like our moxie.. I like our dna...

Got some re enforcements coming back.. itís a marathon
    Itís easy to get gable and cooper on the 42 ! Just get rid of Martese Jackson put cooper returning kicks and to spell off gable every once in a while

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    It’s easy to get gable and cooper on the 42 ! Just get rid of Martese Jackson put cooper returning kicks and to spell off gable every once in a while
    I have read in the past, possibly on this fan site, that Cooper has very little past experience returning kicks. So do you really want to throw him in back there right now?
    A better option might be Josh Stangby who as I recall, had some decent returns in the preseason game here v the Lions.
    However, he is a receiver which wouldn’t give us any flexibility at the RB position.
    It seems that every other team in the league has been able to come up with a good KR. Case in point is the rookie Dedmon kid in Ottawa who returned 2 for TD’s v Montreal on Friday....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    It’s easy to get gable and cooper on the 42 ! Just get rid of Martese Jackson put cooper returning kicks and to spell off gable every once in a while

Actually it’s 45 who dress....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    By all means let’s open up the challenge rules whereby all plays, both offensive & defensive, can be challenged. I’m sure most fans won’t be put off by 5 hour games!
    you're absolutely right, no way we should fix this, it's a bridge too far even though nearly everything else is challengeable, no one is put off by a blatant missed call that determined the outcome of the game. we have to draw the line somewhere, dammit! I mean, it will expand the current 2 challenges a game to 2 challenges a game!!!

a bit too late to worry about opening the floodgates, in my view
    Last edited by Archer; 08-04-2019 at 11:17 AM.

vCash

you're absolutely right, no way we should fix this, it's a bridge too far even though nearly everything else is challengeable, no one is put off by a blatant missed call that determined the outcome of the game. we have to draw the line somewhere, dammit! I mean, it will expand the current 2 challenges a game to 2 challenges a game!!!

I agree with you, maximum 2 challenges a game if you get the first one right and you can challenge ANYTHING as long as you specify what you are challenging for.

Still the same amount of challenges but gets rid of the arbitrary rules of what can and can’t be challenged.

vCash

Don’t worry once this happens and effects a sask game / win the rule will be changed..

No one cares about the eskimos...

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    By all means letís open up the challenge rules whereby all plays, both offensive & defensive, can be challenged. Iím sure most fans wonít be put off by 5 hour games!
    Youíd still only get 2 challenges maximum, if you win the first one. So what are you even talking about?