Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 211 to 231 of 231

Thread: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park
    Posts
    4,707
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce LeeRoy View Post
    Id trade a receiver for a set of balls on the HC.

    Brought up under Campbell, who is as conservative as Ive observed in my time. Some times you have to man up and go for it. At least you tried to win.
    What non-sense!

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park
    Posts
    4,707
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    It is interesting to note that the Eskimos offence had five holding calls against them in the game against the Stampeders. They were on plays: 18, 54, 56 (declined), 94 and 140 (declined). The Eskimos offence had 7 penalties against for 48 yards and the Stamps had 2 for 7 yards. The Stampeders offence had no holding penalties called against them. One of the Stampeders penalties was a play where two receivers were five yards offside and and I'm not sure ball was ever snapped.

    How is it that a team with a defence that leads the league in sacks (26 at this point) plays against offensive lines like Calgary's, Toronto's and Montreal's that have never held one of those defensive linemen once in the last three games?

    It seems pretty obvious that when Al Bradbury is in the backfield he is looking for holding calls against the Eskimos and roughing the passer against Calgary when they have the ball. He couldn't find any RTP's this game as the Eskimo defence was a perfect 0-0 in penalties. The problem is when the Eskimos have the ball he is not looking for RTP. The TSN broadcast did not indicate flags had been thrown on either of the RTP's that were called indicating that the call came from command centre. On play 149 there was obvious RTP that was again not called (Rule posted earlier in thread).

    The Eskimo opposition has only had 4 offensive holding calls against all season. There was one called in each of the first four games and none against in the last three.
    The Eskimo offence has had 11 holding calls against them so far this season.

    In no game this year has the opposition had more penalties or penalties yards against them than the Eskimos have had.

    HOW CAN THAT BE? The Eskimos are being criticized because their wins have been against vastly inferior teams yet even in those games they get more penalties than these "inferior" teams.

    The fact of the matter is the Eskimos significantly outplayed the Stampeders and the Bombers in the two road games. IMO Penalties that occurred but were not called cost them both those games. In the game they lost against the Als the three biggest plays they had were all called back on penalties.

    Go back to the game against Saskatchewan last year where they lost a challenge that was blatant RTP and cost them a chance for a playoff appearance and you start to think this is systemic!

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,705
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    179

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    It makes ZERO sense in how teams are not getting holding penalties against us. We've seen the holds,they are there, but for some reason the officials wont call it on our opposition.


    Actually the answer is quite easy the CFL is crooked.


    I often wonder if we are screwed on calls because of the live Mic stink we raised, and as long as Maas is around we will never get a fair shake. It feels to me we are screwed more than any other team. I know green and gold glasses but I was damn near every game and I cant help but shake that feeling. Not saying other teams get screwed - because they do with the ****ty officiating but no wheres are much as we do.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    City of Champs
    Posts
    17,210
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    106

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    It is interesting to note that the Eskimos offence had five holding calls against them in the game against the Stampeders. They were on plays: 18, 54, 56 (declined), 94 and 140 (declined). The Eskimos offence had 7 penalties against for 48 yards and the Stamps had 2 for 7 yards. The Stampeders offence had no holding penalties called against them. One of the Stampeders penalties was a play where two receivers were five yards offside and and I'm not sure ball was ever snapped.

    How is it that a team with a defence that leads the league in sacks (26 at this point) plays against offensive lines like Calgary's, Toronto's and Montreal's that have never held one of those defensive linemen once in the last three games?

    It seems pretty obvious that when Al Bradbury is in the backfield he is looking for holding calls against the Eskimos and roughing the passer against Calgary when they have the ball. He couldn't find any RTP's this game as the Eskimo defence was a perfect 0-0 in penalties. The problem is when the Eskimos have the ball he is not looking for RTP. The TSN broadcast did not indicate flags had been thrown on either of the RTP's that were called indicating that the call came from command centre. On play 149 there was obvious RTP that was again not called (Rule posted earlier in thread).

    The Eskimo opposition has only had 4 offensive holding calls against all season. There was one called in each of the first four games and none against in the last three.
    The Eskimo offence has had 11 holding calls against them so far this season.

    In no game this year has the opposition had more penalties or penalties yards against them than the Eskimos have had.

    HOW CAN THAT BE? The Eskimos are being criticized because their wins have been against vastly inferior teams yet even in those games they get more penalties than these "inferior" teams.

    The fact of the matter is the Eskimos significantly outplayed the Stampeders and the Bombers in the two road games. IMO Penalties that occurred but were not called cost them both those games. In the game they lost against the Als the three biggest plays they had were all called back on penalties.

    Go back to the game against Saskatchewan last year where they lost a challenge that was blatant RTP and cost them a chance for a playoff appearance and you start to think this is systemic!
    The fact that opposing offenses have been called for 7 yards on 2 penalties in the last 3 games paints a pretty ugly picture, and it's definitely not one on the Eskimos.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

    Superbowl Champs 2013.

  5. #215

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Just got back from a week of camping at Writing-On-Stone provincial park last night and had the game waiting for me on the PVR. My take is that Defence stood on their heads again, Offence struggled to find their rhythm in the first half but made some great adjustments at half time to come alive in the second, both phases did enough to win IMO, obviously ST's was a dumpster fire in all aspects the whole game and ultimately ended up being what cost us. I don't expect AJ will allow a repeat of that performance going forward though.

    Not to pick on Hugh because it looked like he might have tweaked something on the return TD but one thing I will say is that when I played with him in high-school, he was one of the most ferocious MLB's in the city, the dude was a tackling machine back then so I'm a little surprised that that part of his game doesn't seem to have translated to the pro's.

    I also agree that with the DL that we've got it's baffling that there have been zero holding calls in their favor over the last three weeks. Just doesn't seem possible.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We have been out special teamed for about a decade now. Mean while very single other team in the league is finding these guys falling out of trees. Whyte better get his head out of his butt.
    It's true, and that is in spite of multiple regime and coaching changes along the way. Hard to pin point what the common denominator is.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    City of Champs
    Posts
    17,210
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    106

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    CFL sure isn't making it hard to think that they're pissed the Eskimo's kept Maas after Mic-Gate.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

    Superbowl Champs 2013.

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park
    Posts
    4,707
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Just got back from a week of camping at Writing-On-Stone provincial park last night and had the game waiting for me on the PVR. My take is that Defence stood on their heads again, Offence struggled to find their rhythm in the first half but made some great adjustments at half time to come alive in the second, both phases did enough to win IMO, obviously ST's was a dumpster fire in all aspects the whole game and ultimately ended up being what cost us. I don't expect AJ will allow a repeat of that performance going forward though.

    Not to pick on Hugh because it looked like he might have tweaked something on the return TD but one thing I will say is that when I played with him in high-school, he was one of the most ferocious MLB's in the city, the dude was a tackling machine back then so I'm a little surprised that that part of his game doesn't seem to have translated to the pro's.

    I also agree that with the DL that we've got it's baffling that there have been zero holding calls in their favor over the last three weeks. Just doesn't seem possible.

    - - - Updated - - -

    It's true, and that is in spite of multiple regime and coaching changes along the way. Hard to pin point what the common denominator is.
    Watching the play Hugh was limping quite noticeable across the field. Suitor has a hard time noticing things.

  8. #218

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Watching the play Hugh was limping quite noticeable across the field. Suitor has a hard time noticing things.
    For sure, so I can cut him some slack for that one but in general, I'd like to see him be a bit more physical back there, that's one thing I always appreciated about Grant Shaw when he was here.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,758
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    713

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Watched this game from a hotel in Kamloops as I was on my way back to Edmonton for a week. My thoughts on the game are:

    1. Special teams missed Walton, he is averaging almost 2 tackles a game, which if extended to a full season would have him in the hunt for the league lead.
    2. Evertime we kicked off or punted I was nervous as they seemed to be real close a few times.
    3. Looks to me like Jackson broke his arm or something as they were holding it as he went off the field. With the trade of Stafford, I'm thinking that Stanby will draw in for him and handle the kick return duties, freeing up a spot to bring cooper or daniels into the lineup.
    4. Our D is flat out fun to watch, this is the first game where I have actually gotten anything out of the live mics as Johnson was sure coaching Hunter up.
    5. Thought our half time adjustments were good and that we put ourselves into a position to win that game......
    If we hadn't given up the kock return TD
    6. Whyte had another shaky game but I firmly believe he'll rebound.
    7. Hoping Beards injury isn't serious as our canadian depth there is thin.

    As bad as this loss feels, as long as we take care of business next week, we'll be in a tie for second place, 1 game out of first.
    #PizStrong

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,950
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    105

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    The shine and optimism of this team is starting to really wear off for my. They are 3-3 and if you look at who they have played and the results:
    BC (W) - The Lions are in trouble and that Oline is about as bad as it gets.
    Win (L) - Close game but lots to a good team on the road. Winnipeg has a good defense, the offense struggled.
    BC (W) - The Lions Oline can't stop anyone.
    Mon (L) - Got beat but an up and coming team. Offense didn't do much. Montreal has a good defense so the offense struggled.
    Tor (W) - At the time they were a disaster and they don't have a QB. They still don't.
    Cal (L) - Lost to the Stamps back up. Stamps have a good defense. They didn't score a single point in the first half.

    So by my eye, they have beat the 2 worst teams in the league for their wins. Both of those teams don't have a very good defense and their Oline sucks. The Esks defense is really good so it keeps them in games and they can get pressure no matter what. But as soon as they play a team that has a decent Oline so the Esks defense can't just sack or pressure the QB at will and has a decent defense, eventually the other team chips away at the Esks defense and they lose because the offense can't score.

    To me they look a lot like how Ottawa was. Ottawa was a real good team in the East but a lot of times their record was around .500 because they beat up on the 2 worst teams in the league (Mon & Tor), both of whom are in their division but struggled against the West or Hamilton. They'd get the odd win against a West team or Hamilton, could be "right there" in the games against the tough teams but couldn't win on a lot of nights. Edmonton is now basically the Redblacks with all the players they have signed over the last 2 years and look at the results.

    Hopefully I am wrong and they can figure it out.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    18,688
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The shine and optimism of this team is starting to really wear off for my. They are 3-3 and if you look at who they have played and the results:
    BC (W) - The Lions are in trouble and that Oline is about as bad as it gets.
    Win (L) - Close game but lots to a good team on the road. Winnipeg has a good defense, the offense struggled.
    BC (W) - The Lions Oline can't stop anyone.
    Mon (L) - Got beat but an up and coming team. Offense didn't do much. Montreal has a good defense so the offense struggled.
    Tor (W) - At the time they were a disaster and they don't have a QB. They still don't.
    Cal (L) - Lost to the Stamps back up. Stamps have a good defense. They didn't score a single point in the first half.

    So by my eye, they have beat the 2 worst teams in the league for their wins. Both of those teams don't have a very good defense and their Oline sucks. The Esks defense is really good so it keeps them in games and they can get pressure no matter what. But as soon as they play a team that has a decent Oline so the Esks defense can't just sack or pressure the QB at will and has a decent defense, eventually the other team chips away at the Esks defense and they lose because the offense can't score.

    To me they look a lot like how Ottawa was. Ottawa was a real good team in the East but a lot of times their record was around .500 because they beat up on the 2 worst teams in the league (Mon & Tor), both of whom are in their division but struggled against the West or Hamilton. They'd get the odd win against a West team or Hamilton, could be "right there" in the games against the tough teams but couldn't win on a lot of nights. Edmonton is now basically the Redblacks with all the players they have signed over the last 2 years and look at the results.

    Hopefully I am wrong and they can figure it out.
    Forgot about the opener? We beat Montreal at home - narrowly, after their QB change, it must be said - but 4-3 is the record.

    I'm a little concerned - but we also haven't lost at home yet, nor have we really had anyone "good" have to come to our place yet. If we can beat Toronto away, and Winnipeg at home - both very doable - suddenly we're 6-3 at the halfway point. We lose either of those and yes, then I'm starting to wonder.

    And we just played Calgary away missing Harris' security blanket at receiver, plus a mid-game OL change, had ST's go about as poorly as possible and STILL had a chance to win. I think we can do what Sask did last year and ride a ridiculous defence and mediocre-to-good offence to a good record - we're missing how many starters on defence (4 projected?), and yet Calgary's offence crossed our 33-yd line only once - and that was when Jackson gave them the ball at our 40.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,758
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    713

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    Forgot about the opener? We beat Montreal at home - narrowly, after their QB change, it must be said - but 4-3 is the record.

    I'm a little concerned - but we also haven't lost at home yet, nor have we really had anyone "good" have to come to our place yet. If we can beat Toronto away, and Winnipeg at home - both very doable - suddenly we're 6-3 at the halfway point. We lose either of those and yes, then I'm starting to wonder.

    And we just played Calgary away missing Harris' security blanket at receiver, plus a mid-game OL change, had ST's go about as poorly as possible and STILL had a chance to win. I think we can do what Sask did last year and ride a ridiculous defence and mediocre-to-good offence to a good record - we're missing how many starters on defence (4 projected?), and yet Calgary's offence crossed our 33-yd line only once - and that was when Jackson gave them the ball at our 40.
    As long as we take care of business at home this week against Ottawa and can beat Toronto on the road (discounting the TO win when they should have beat the stamps the week before and beat the Bombers the week after, is wrong IMO) we will be 6-3 and at worst tied for second with either Calgary or Winnipeg and possibly Sask and be 1 win behind either Calgary or Winnipeg. Things are still looking fine but they need to take care of business in the next couple of weeks.
    #PizStrong

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,523
    vCash
    9379
    Rep Power
    1030

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    As long as we take care of business at home this week against Ottawa and can beat Toronto on the road (discounting the TO win when they should have beat the stamps the week before and beat the Bombers the week after, is wrong IMO) we will be 6-3 and at worst tied for second with either Calgary or Winnipeg and possibly Sask and be 1 win behind either Calgary or Winnipeg. Things are still looking fine but they need to take care of business in the next couple of weeks.
    Agree, but we (the team) can't look past Ottawa right now. We lose that one and it certainly puts us in a difficult situation. Hoping that Harris has a definitive game at QB against his former club.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,758
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    713

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Agree, but we (the team) can't look past Ottawa right now. We lose that one and it certainly puts us in a difficult situation. Hoping that Harris has a definitive game at QB against his former club.
    I'm thinking that with all of the team building that Jason has done that the whole team will be jacked up for this one and want to show them they made a mistake with letting Trevor go.
    #PizStrong

  15. #225
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,404
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    543

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Agree, but we (the team) can't look past Ottawa right now. We lose that one and it certainly puts us in a difficult situation. Hoping that Harris has a definitive game at QB against his former club.
    Thankfully it's a home game for us. As someone else suggested maybe Cooper gets back on the active roster. Gable is in his seventh CFL season now and seems to get hurt lately, maybe sharing reps might be better for the team. Thorpe should have a good book on Harris's strengths so maybe some different O plays like Calgary went outside on our D in the 2nd half.

    That new Ottawa KR must be looking forward to playing us with our ST record. Kinda worried that Beard might not start at C also.

  16. #226
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,587
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    273

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm thinking that with all of the team building that Jason has done that the whole team will be jacked up for this one and want to show them they made a mistake with letting Trevor go.
    I hope so...I would have thought there might also be Ottawa wanting to send a message that Trevor shouldn't have left a good thing in Ottawa. But it's a home game, so hopefully advantage us.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  17. #227
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    18,688
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    As long as we take care of business at home this week against Ottawa and can beat Toronto on the road (discounting the TO win when they should have beat the stamps the week before and beat the Bombers the week after, is wrong IMO) we will be 6-3 and at worst tied for second with either Calgary or Winnipeg and possibly Sask and be 1 win behind either Calgary or Winnipeg. Things are still looking fine but they need to take care of business in the next couple of weeks.
    And look at me, forgetting about Ottawa this week.

    That being said, Ottawa has scored one offensive touchdown on a drive from their own side of the field in the past three games, by my count, so I think we should win that side of the ball.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

  18. #228
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,983
    vCash
    1326
    Rep Power
    231

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    And look at me, forgetting about Ottawa this week.

    That being said, Ottawa has scored one offensive touchdown on a drive from their own side of the field in the past three games, by my count, so I think we should win that side of the ball.
    I sure hope so this is a needed win and next week in Toronto too just to stay even with the other 3 in the west. We've had 3 winnable games that we let the other team off the hook
    In Rod we trust

  19. #229

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Watched this game from a hotel in Kamloops as I was on my way back to Edmonton for a week. My thoughts on the game are:

    1. Special teams missed Walton, he is averaging almost 2 tackles a game, which if extended to a full season would have him in the hunt for the league lead.
    2. Evertime we kicked off or punted I was nervous as they seemed to be real close a few times.
    3. Looks to me like Jackson broke his arm or something as they were holding it as he went off the field. With the trade of Stafford, I'm thinking that Stanby will draw in for him and handle the kick return duties, freeing up a spot to bring cooper or daniels into the lineup.
    4. Our D is flat out fun to watch, this is the first game where I have actually gotten anything out of the live mics as Johnson was sure coaching Hunter up.
    5. Thought our half time adjustments were good and that we put ourselves into a position to win that game......
    If we hadn't given up the kock return TD
    6. Whyte had another shaky game but I firmly believe he'll rebound.
    7. Hoping Beards injury isn't serious as our canadian depth there is thin.

    As bad as this loss feels, as long as we take care of business next week, we'll be in a tie for second place, 1 game out of first.
    The part that's most frustrating is that now we have to sweep the LD series to win the season series and that is gonna be real tough to do.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    Forgot about the opener? We beat Montreal at home - narrowly, after their QB change, it must be said - but 4-3 is the record.

    I'm a little concerned - but we also haven't lost at home yet, nor have we really had anyone "good" have to come to our place yet. If we can beat Toronto away, and Winnipeg at home - both very doable - suddenly we're 6-3 at the halfway point. We lose either of those and yes, then I'm starting to wonder.

    And we just played Calgary away missing Harris' security blanket at receiver, plus a mid-game OL change, had ST's go about as poorly as possible and STILL had a chance to win. I think we can do what Sask did last year and ride a ridiculous defence and mediocre-to-good offence to a good record - we're missing how many starters on defence (4 projected?), and yet Calgary's offence crossed our 33-yd line only once - and that was when Jackson gave them the ball at our 40.
    I think we all figured there would be a gelling period early on with 27+ new players on the 45 man roster, sure it would be nice to be 5-2 or 6-1 but realistically, this team has already shown it can play with anyone in the league and give themselves a chance to win. I firmly believe they'll continue to grow and get better as the season goes.

  20. #230
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    666
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    I still can’t believe more hasn’t been made here on the kickoff return for a TD that was TWO blatant holds by TWO different stamps players on TWO different eskimos players that 100% would have been in the gap .

  21. #231
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    103
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Eskimos vs. Stamps - B.O.A - Round 1

    Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    I still can’t believe more hasn’t been made here on the kickoff return for a TD that was TWO blatant holds by TWO different stamps players on TWO different eskimos players that 100% would have been in the gap .
    What are we supposed to do? We can rant about it all we want. I went back and watched the replay on TSN. It's looks too me like holding. I'm sure a Stamps fan would say it does not. Fact is the apparent holds were not called. We were not able to challenge the lack of a flag it seems. The score counted. They won. Now we focus on Ottawa and hope the lumbering, half blind, part-time zebras miss a call that benefits us.

    Perhaps we should all show up outside of the CFL office in TO and have a "Stop being mean to our Esks" rally. Nah, that would make us look like conspiracy theorists.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •