Thread: Stafford Gone

vCash

Article Stafford Gone

So the Eskimos has sent Stafford to the Stubble Jumpers for WR/Kick Returner, Christion Jones.
    https://www.tsn.ca/saskatchewan-roug...imos-1.1346998

I get that KR is a bit of a specialized position with a unique set of skills but was Stafford really that expendable? This does nothing to get Cooper into the game.

Talk amongst yourselves.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Re: Stafford Gone

My team, I'd put Shai Ross on returns and tell him to just run forward as fast as possible and hang onto the ball. Moving Jackson off the roster allows us to add either Cooper or another O-lineman to the game day team. That gives us for more as a team overall than trying yet another specialized kick returner. Now that I've said this, watch Jones break two for TD's next week

Stafford helps the Riders. He is a reliable #3 receiver and will probably replace the older Roosevelt once Kenny gets his bearings. I think someone needed to go in our receiving group. I personally would have looked at parting with Elliott as he and Stafford are the same size and Kenny seems to adjust to any receiver position for us. I'm guessing there was nothing to be offered in a trade for Elliott, so Stafford brings us something at least.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

To me, this isn’t about Stafford or Jones. Under this coaching staff, specifically Jason Maas, special teams hasn't been made a priority. Why? I don't know. Jason Maas' special teams has basically been "don't F it up for the offence." Now, with the change to AJ, he's come off that stance a little bit and I think this is a sign he wants to place a bigger emphasis on returns. With that said, even with the rest of the league having success on returns, we haven't. So I don't anticipate much changing. I hope I'm wrong. The returners have changed under Jason Maas to no success, even if they've had success elsewhere in the league. Martese Jackson is the latest example.

Credit to Sunderland for going out and being aggressive.

I wish Kenny the best. With Daniels and Ellingson coming back, we wouldn't have had a spot for him and I'm sure Jason Maas and Sunderland explained that to him. I also wouldn't rule it out to see him back in the future in a depth role if Stafford doesn't catch on in Saskatchewan. With that said, Ricky Collins brings the same speed element that Stafford brings. Also, Duke Williams is struggling in Buffalo Bills camp, no Tampa Bay fan or beat writer expects Bryant Mitchell to make the team, and Brandon Zylstra is up in the air with the Vikings. I imagine one of those players ends up with the Eskimos (Mitchell), one ends up somewhere else in the CFL (Williams) and Zylstra stays on for another year or two.

vCash

I have no issue with trading stafford. Far to incontinent of a player and we probably have psquad guys that can come in and do as well. Schuller is still here no?

We have to keep looking for returners until we find one, it has been a decade search and martese jackson effectivly lost his job with the last awful game.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I have no issue with trading stafford. Far to incontinent of a player and we probably have psquad guys that can come in and do as well. Schuller is still here no?

We have to keep looking for returners until we find one, it has been a decade search and martese jackson effectivly lost his job with the last awful game.
    Are you saying you think he was a sh!tty player?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    My team, I'd put Shai Ross on returns and tell him to just run forward as fast as possible and hang onto the ball. Moving Jackson off the roster allows us to add either Cooper or another O-lineman to the game day team. That gives us for more as a team overall than trying yet another specialized kick returner. Now that I've said this, watch Jones break two for TD's next week

Stafford helps the Riders. He is a reliable #3 receiver and will probably replace the older Roosevelt once Kenny gets his bearings. I think someone needed to go in our receiving group. I personally would have looked at parting with Elliott as he and Stafford are the same size and Kenny seems to adjust to any receiver position for us. I'm guessing there was nothing to be offered in a trade for Elliott, so Stafford brings us something at least.
    I'm with you on putting a national as our returner. We used to put Zylstra back there a few years ago just for the good hands. ( although he wasn't a nat.) Just catch the ball and don't screw up. Doesn't seem that our KR team plays well anyway as a blocking or tackling unit. Tackling they seem to lose outside contain too often.

I don't like losing Stafford , he is just an average CFL receiver but other than Ellingson likely the best of a very average group here. Second time we have gone the trade route seeking a decent KR in the Sunderland era. Hopefully this time it's more successful. The Lions just picked up Lankford via waivers from Ottawa after he screwed up and cost they a win. Of course Campbell also likely just might have cost his team a win but he still has his job. Being behind us in the standings BC would have had first crack at Lankford but with all the players they have scooped up from us , we might have asked for a favor from them and given Lankford a try here. Plus Lankford can also play receiver.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Are you saying you think he was a sh!tty player?
    LOL, I was going to ask the same thing. Maybe that's the reason for the occasional loss of concentration on catches. *Goes up for ball but needs to do butt clench*

I'm not close enough to the team to track the emphasis on ST but something has been stale for quite a while.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

How much of our problems with the return game are on the schemes vs the returner himself? I mean, Jackson running backwards and then fumbling was an obvious killer last game, but we've gone through multiple kick returners over many years and we've looked pretty much the same no matter who was back there. Have we just been that bad/unlucky at choosing returners, or are the blocking schemes the issue and it doesn't matter who we put back there?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    How much of our problems with the return game are on the schemes vs the returner himself? I mean, Jackson running backwards and then fumbling was an obvious killer last game, but we've gone through multiple kick returners over many years and we've looked pretty much the same no matter who was back there. Have we just been that bad/unlucky at choosing returners, or are the blocking schemes the issue and it doesn't matter who we put back there?
    The weird thing is, there have also been multiple coaching staffs. I just don't get it.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    The weird thing is, there have also been multiple coaching staffs. I just don't get it.
    That's what I've been saying, the only common denominator is the color of the jersey.

vCash

That's what I've been saying, the only common denominator is the color of the jersey.
    or the emphasis of the coach, is he getting enough mike miller type guys in the lineup? IMO Walton is one of those guys, reminds me of Lacey.
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    or the emphasis of the coach, is he getting enough mike miller type guys in the lineup? IMO Walton is one of those guys, reminds me of Lacey.
    Could be but how many coaching changes have we had since our last good returner. Kendial Lawrence was ok at times but aside from him you have to go back to '08 when TJax came on the scene.

Agree with you on Walton, having good ST players is more important than people realize sometimes.

vCash

Could be but how many coaching changes have we had since our last good returner. Kendial Lawrence was ok at times but aside from him you have to go back to '08 when TJax came on the scene.

Agree with you on Walton, having good ST players is more important than people realize sometimes.
    I think the upgrade on teams from Bazzie to Walton is HUGE
    #PizStrong

vCash

We had Gizmo the greatest returner ever, any league. We redefined the returner role. Now we are being punished as we "had our fun"

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    What I noticed with Jackson is that instead of North/South he was doing a lot of East/West running and that seemed to get him in a lot of trouble. Not sure if that is his style or because of the blocking he was forced to run that way. I like the guys that just go for it and hit the holes up front hard and fast and get what they can with the result being that they occasionally find a seam and break one. To me it's a lot more about being fearless and a kamikaze than it is about pure speed otherwise the East/West running would work out a lot more. Here's hoping that the guy we picked up shows us more of that style of running. We need to do something here as STs have been killing us all season. That much is blatantly obvious.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

As long as the new returner goes forward...period...we are in better shape already. At this point our guy might as well catch the ball (a feat upon itself apparently) and just take a knee (or just fall over) and we're ahead!
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

I am quite surprised the Riders did this trade. I have been quite a fan of Christon Jones and he damn near got the Riders into the Grey Cup in 2017. Injury problems with him are worrisome but excited to see what he can do.

Best of luck to Kenny but I am glad we opened up a spot for Stangby...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I am quite surprised the Riders did this trade. I have been quite a fan of Christon Jones and he damn near got the Riders into the Grey Cup in 2017. Injury problems with him are worrisome but excited to see what he can do.

Stangby?
    I would think that either Ellingson or Daniels, or both, draw in ahead of him....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post

Rumor going around that the Riders receiver Shaq Evans might miss extended time because of a leg injury.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Rumor going around that the Riders receiver Shaq Evans might miss extended time because of a leg injury.
    Ouch. That’ll throw Stafford right into the mix.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Ouch. That’ll throw Stafford right into the mix.
    Stafford is no Shaq Evans
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Stafford is no Shaq Evans
    I know, Rod.

Just a warm body with a pulse on the field, that's about it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    I know, Rod.

Just a warm body with a pulse on the field, that's about it.
    Section N is no Section Z
    In Rod we trust