Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New President is in.

vCash

Hot New President is in.

Chris Presson Named Eskimos President and CEO
    Esks Staff

The Edmonton Eskimos have named Chris Presson as the club’s new president and CEO. His term will begin on Sept. 1, 2019.

Presson joins the Green and Gold after spending the past five years as president of the Arizona Rattlers in the Indoor Football League. At the same time, he served as president of the Northern Arizona Suns – the development team for the NBA’s Phoenix Suns, launched by Presson in 2016.

The native of Catoosa, Oklahoma led the Rattlers to three consecutive Franchise of the Year awards in 2017 through 2019.

“Chris’ background and experience stood out among the very talented candidates and it became clear to us that he was the right person to lead the Eskimos. We could not be happier to have him join our organization,” says Eskimos Board Chair Janice Agrios.

“A thank you to the Eskimos staff and, in particular, Eskimos Vice President of Finance and Business Administration Mandy Johnston for serving as interim president. We knew the club was in good hands, allowing us to take the time needed to ensure we found the right fit.”

Presson has almost 30 years of experience in sports management, including football, basketball hockey and baseball. He was a part of four championship teams in three sports as an executive:

Oklahoma City Blazers, Central Hockey League, 1996, 2001
    Oklahoma Storm, United States Basketball League, 2002
    Arizona Rattlers, Indoor Football League, 2017

“I’m honoured to lead such a great organization in such a great city, within such a tradition rich-league. An opportunity like this does not come along very often and I recognize that. My family and I are looking forward to contributing to the community and embracing the Eskimo Way,” says Presson.

“Throughout the interview process, it became clear we shared a common vision that includes hard work, the understanding of community and the drive to succeed on and off the field.”

With community service as a core value, Presson served as a board member for the Grand Canyon University Colangelo College of Business (Sports Advisory Board), the Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers & Big Sisters, Ronald McDonald House and the YMCA.

Presson also held a seat on the Indoor Football League’s Executive Committee and the Phoenix Suns Culture Committee. He is a past chair of the Indoor Football League Expansion Committee.

Professional Experience:

Team President, Northern Arizona Suns, NBA G League, 2016-2019
    Team President, Arizona Rattlers, Indoor Football League, 2014-2019
    President, Arizona Sundogs, Central Hockey League, 2011-2014
    President, Quad City Mallards, Central Hockey League, 2010-2011
    General Manager, Intrust Bank Arena, 2008-2010

Education:

Presson attended Oklahoma State University earning a degree in journalism.

Personal:

He and wife Tracy have been married 26 years and have three daughters: Lily (18), Ryan (15) and Lucy (14). Lily will be a freshman at Arizona State University this fall.

vCash

Re: New President is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Chris Presson Named Eskimos President and CEO
    Esks Staff

The Edmonton Eskimos have named Chris Presson as the club’s new president and CEO. His term will begin on Sept. 1, 2019.

Presson joins the Green and Gold after spending the past five years as president of the Arizona Rattlers in the Indoor Football League. At the same time, he served as president of the Northern Arizona Suns – the development team for the NBA’s Phoenix Suns, launched by Presson in 2016.

The native of Catoosa, Oklahoma led the Rattlers to three consecutive Franchise of the Year awards in 2017 through 2019.

“Chris’ background and experience stood out among the very talented candidates and it became clear to us that he was the right person to lead the Eskimos. We could not be happier to have him join our organization,” says Eskimos Board Chair Janice Agrios.

“A thank you to the Eskimos staff and, in particular, Eskimos Vice President of Finance and Business Administration Mandy Johnston for serving as interim president. We knew the club was in good hands, allowing us to take the time needed to ensure we found the right fit.”

Presson has almost 30 years of experience in sports management, including football, basketball hockey and baseball. He was a part of four championship teams in three sports as an executive:

Oklahoma City Blazers, Central Hockey League, 1996, 2001
    Oklahoma Storm, United States Basketball League, 2002
    Arizona Rattlers, Indoor Football League, 2017

“I’m honoured to lead such a great organization in such a great city, within such a tradition rich-league. An opportunity like this does not come along very often and I recognize that. My family and I are looking forward to contributing to the community and embracing the Eskimo Way,” says Presson.

“Throughout the interview process, it became clear we shared a common vision that includes hard work, the understanding of community and the drive to succeed on and off the field.”

With community service as a core value, Presson served as a board member for the Grand Canyon University Colangelo College of Business (Sports Advisory Board), the Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers & Big Sisters, Ronald McDonald House and the YMCA.

Presson also held a seat on the Indoor Football League’s Executive Committee and the Phoenix Suns Culture Committee. He is a past chair of the Indoor Football League Expansion Committee.

Professional Experience:

Team President, Northern Arizona Suns, NBA G League, 2016-2019
    Team President, Arizona Rattlers, Indoor Football League, 2014-2019
    President, Arizona Sundogs, Central Hockey League, 2011-2014
    President, Quad City Mallards, Central Hockey League, 2010-2011
    General Manager, Intrust Bank Arena, 2008-2010

Education:

Presson attended Oklahoma State University earning a degree in journalism.

Personal:

He and wife Tracy have been married 26 years and have three daughters: Lily (18), Ryan (15) and Lucy (14). Lily will be a freshman at Arizona State University this fall.
    At least this one knows something about football
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I’m surprised that they had to go to the US to find a qualified person. I can’t believe that there wasn’t someone from Canada with perhaps previous CFL experiences?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    I’m surprised that they had to go to the US to find a qualified person. I can’t believe that there wasn’t someone from Canada with perhaps previous CFL experiences?
    Yes, agreed.

Will give this dude a fair shake though. Hopefully he can restore peace and order in the Empire.

vCash

Here's the real question: What's more important to this guy, washed-up 90's rappers, or winning? If it's the latter, then he's already better than the last guy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Here's the real question: What's more important to this guy, washed-up 90's rappers, or winning? If it's the latter, then he's already better than the last guy.
    Being better than Len Rhodes is a pretty low bar though I mean eating a roadkill skunk with a little bit of salt is better than eating the roadkill skunk plain which is pretty much how I would describe Rhodes leadership
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Yes, agreed.

Will give this dude a fair shake though. Hopefully he can restore peace and order in the Empire.
    X 2. I kinda like also that he comes in with no apparent allegiance to anyone connected with the team. Let him do his thing although I imagine he will have a limited budget to work with.

vCash

Don’t know him but the rattlers are one of the best ran organisations in indoor football on and off the field..

I like he has football acumen

Let’s see what he can do!

vCash

I had never heard of him until today, that said, I like his experience and like that they are bringing in a fresh face.

vCash

Football experience behind his name, which a lot of people on here wanted.

He's already miles ahead of Ketchup Boy.

vCash

I guess that the organization will just have to press on until the new President starts on September 1.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well he sounds like he does have some football experience which I like. I likewise am surprised that they couldn't find a Canadian with similar experience who knows the CFL. That being the case let's see what ideas he comes up with from a marketing perspective. With him coming in so late in the season probably won't get a real feel of what he might be like until next season.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I particularly like this.

At least he thinks winning is important for a professional team and I sincerely hope he doesn't think he is bigger than the franchise.

vCash

Nice resume, lets see what he looks like in a year.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Hard to have faith in the Board's ability to pick a good President based on history.
    Also easy to be skeptical to read the hire has:
    -no CFL experience
    -no Edmonton connection (no Canadian connection). Is he going to move here year round?

But I am willing to give him a chance. Lots of relatable sports management experience that we hope will help. He has a big challenge ahead of him! Declining attendance numbers, aging demographic, stagnant economy, cord cutting / local media dying which is drying up exposure for the league.
    Edmonton was always a great sports town that supported all it's teams. I don't think it's impossible to turn things around.

vCash

I'm interested in the Arizona Rattlers connection. Trevor Harris played there, David Turner was in their football ops, and now you've got Presson. You wonder if some of that is coincidence or whether there's some deeper rooted ties that are pulling this all together.

vCash

Will wait and see but would have preferred a Canadian candidate. Hopefully he has some new ideas.

If it doesn't work out he can run for the pcs in the next provincial election.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    At least this one knows something about football
    Cause for optimism and a quantum leap forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    I'm not surprised, because very few at all in Canada actually know how to market football one iota. I'm more surprised the BOD realized this
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Out of curiousity has anyone ever seen an indoor football league game? I've seen arena games I assume they're about the same thing?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Out of curiousity has anyone ever seen an indoor football league game? I've seen arena games I assume they're about the same thing?
    I believe it is the same game, same rules.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

630 ched currently carrying his press conference. In case you missed it live here is the recorded link:

https://omny.fm/shows/ched/playlists...?style=artwork
    Last edited by adb; 08-07-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Cause for optimism and a quantum leap forward.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not surprised, because very few at all in Canada actually know how to market football one iota. I'm more surprised the BOD realized this
    this ^

vCash

If you think about what the arena game is, while it is football, it's WAY different than the NFL. The NFL is a big dog, a machine. I know the market but are they truly having to hustle to get people in? I would say no. Where as the arena game would have to be hustling and selling itself to fans to come and watch. Exactly what the CFL needs to do. The world has changed. The Esks and the CFL have missed a whole generation of fans. The days of just having a game on and people showing up just because are long gone.

The Oilers are the big dog in town and they don't have to do a lot for people to just come, I think they do a better job than the Esks. As an example, the Oilers buy billboard space in Red Deer. You see nothing from the Esks.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 08-07-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I believe it is the same game, same rules.
    Different game different rules ... no nets also..

But the rattlers continue to have the highest attendance figures wether they were afl or ifl

It’s a classy org that treats its players right and that’s something with this indoor game...

vCash

https://lastwordonsports.com/2018/03...door-football/

I think to the casual fan, they wouldn't see much difference, but yeah, there are clearly some key things that separate the two.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 08-08-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

https://lastwordonsports.com/2018/03...door-football/

I think to the casual fan, they wouldn't see much difference, but yeah, there are clearly some key things that separate the two.
    Ifl is actually more like outdoor football, they have a real Rb not an extra lineman at fb for protection purposes.. there are huge elements of the modern outdoor game like zone read and Rpos and shotgun formations etc etc you will see 100 yard rushers etc which is unheard of in the afl ..
    The afl is more offence/ pass driven.. the ifl is usually lower scoring and has better defence. still offence driven but more like offences we see watching a regular game of football.

I prefer the ifl to afl to watch and the top tier markets like Arizona and Iowa and Sioux Falls have great teams and great product

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Ifl is actually more like outdoor football, they have a real Rb not an extra lineman at fb for protection purposes.. there are huge elements of the modern outdoor game like zone read and Rpos and shotgun formations etc etc you will see 100 yard rushers etc which is unheard of in the afl ..
    The afl is more offence/ pass driven.. the ifl is usually lower scoring and has better defence. still offence driven but more like offences we see watching a regular game of football.

I prefer the ifl to afl to watch and the top tier markets like Arizona and Iowa and Sioux Falls have great teams and great product
    Many years ago I went to an Iowa Barnstormers Arena game it was kinda fun but silly.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Don’t know much about him, but like how the last name is only one letter different than mine!!! That said, I don’t think I’d be qualified for the role

vCash

Sounds like a pretty solid hire and must say I am pleased with the BOG finally getting one right....or so it seems early on.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Sounds like a pretty solid hire and must say I am pleased with the BOG finally getting one right....or so it seems early on.
    Yeah, I'm excited to see if he can bring some new ideas and a new way of doing things from down south.