Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskies vs RedBlacks

vCash

Re: Eskies vs RedBlacks

I think the problem with our offence is our receivers are too similar... nobody big or with elite speed. All similar smaller , shifty guys with good hands (except Collins jr who can’t catch a pass in traffic) who are good route runners . We need a big guy like Duke or Zylstra or Adarius who can be counted on in second and long or in the red zone to win a 50/50 ball. I think our receivers are good but not complementary. Also a bigger guy could help block better than a smaller guy. For the last five years we had two of the best receivers in the league; Bowman with Walker for 3 years, and in 2018 when Bowman was injured and not playing well Zylstra was a monster while Duke was cutting his teeth then last year we had WAlker and Duke. Note when Walker went down after labour day I believe we were 2-6. We have an excellent defence and I feel our offence is one star receiver and some cleaning up the third and ones/red zone play sets from being excellent as well.

I wonder when Toronto is 1-9 after labour day if we could get Green or ideally Walker back. I just don’t see how we can afford him.

On that same topic I really think we also need a better third Canadian receiver to spell off Adjei and Smith. If one of them got hurt in the game what would we do? We would be in big trouble.

As for the third and ones... I think Harris needs to go right every time and follow Bond. He went left 3 times to follow Ruby who is a big guy but 30 pounds lighter than Bond. Also I am very disappointed they dressed Cooper and only gave him one touch. Gable played great but some thunder and lightning would be awesome. Cooper could be used more for the outside passes or a sweep (we never use those) . If we did run a sweep or two each game that could set up some misdirection when we get to the red zone or the third and 1.5 situations where we are losing possession so often.

Lastly i want to point out how great Jones looked. He’s the best punt returner we’ve had in years.

White shouldn’t be doing the kickoffs or punting. Could Grant Shaw or somebody like that fill in?
    Last edited by mattdunigan; 08-10-2019 at 12:40 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    White shouldn’t be doing the kickoffs or punting. Could Grant Shaw or somebody like that fill in?
    I suspect that Whyte could out kick Shaw right now, and I don't think Grant would want to come back and play, anyway. There are kickers out there, it's just a matter of finding one. Ideally, I wouldn't want to waste an import spot on a punter, but I'd rather do that versus wearing out our place kicker. I'm sure Sunderland is considering his options. Ideally, we should find a National punter but regardless of birth certificate, we should really have another kicker (at least on the PR)
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Just curious...if Whyte gets injured during a game, who's our kicker?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Just curious...if Whyte gets injured during a game, who's our kicker?
    I don't know why, but for some reason, I think Greg Ellingson has some kicking experience. I do know that a couple years ago, when Whyte went down, long-snapper Ryan King was set to handle kicking duties, but went down with his own injury.
    https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...2-game-absence

I have to think that there are two or three guys on the roster that could probably handle kickoffs and punting in a pinch. Place kicking is a whole different game though.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

When is Matt O'Donnell going to be back? I think he would help our third and one situation. I wouldn't mind seeing them try the second string QB on these. It was essentially the third down conversions not being successful that kept this game from being a blowout.

First game of the year where the opposition got more penalties than the Esks. Of course Ottawa had to go into double digits to do it as the Esks had 10 penalties themselves (Ottawa 11).

vCash

Didn’t catch the game tonight. But after giving this thread a read, I will delete from the PVR quickly.

vCash

BTW, just looked up the stats. The Esks are far and away the top team in the league on offense by 50 yards per game. Other than the Lions, they are dead last in the West in points scored.
    U have to take from that we haven’t reached our ceiling yet..

Our biggest issue is getting points off drives..

Inside their 30 3-4 times
    Harris fumble was unlucky was a good play by the red black to rip.. harris needed to cover up
    Fg miss from wyte
    Goalline stand from Ottawa
    Gable stopped on 3rd and 2 ( this play should never have been ran )

We have room to grow..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Didn’t catch the game tonight. But after giving this thread a read, I will delete from the PVR quickly.
    Some great football from our D and C.J. gable.. u should still watch

vCash

Only recall ( I haven’t watched the game back ) seeing gable and cooper on the field at the same time and when they did it resulted in a sask in the rz.. never good

The cmc injury really bites there because Calvin is always used as that 2nd back in situational stuff .. I felt like our short yardage and rz was really vanilla this week..

We usually see more motion and misdirection than that..

However I feel we felt we could dominate them physically p front so we went with direct runnin with gable

Also absolute massive shout to colon kelly on gables second td.. he absolutely pancaked the de

- - - Updated - - -

Only recall ( I haven’t watched the game back ) design gable and cooper on the field at the same time and when they did it resulted in a sask in the rz.. never good

The cmc injury really bites there because Calvin is always used as that 2nd back in situational stuff .. I felt like our short yardage and rz was really vanilla this week..

We usually see more motion and misdirection than that..

However I feel we felt we could dominate them physically p front so we went with direct runnin with gable

Also absolute massive shout to Colin kelly on gables second td.. he absolutely pancaked the de

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing them try the second string QB on these.
    This. Harris isn't getting it done. Have a dedicated QB who specializes in short yardage.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    CJ tackled a guy. Legit call.
    can someone please post video of the play or direct me to where I can watch it? Watching the replay during the game it seemed there was no hold, and certainly no "tackle" (CJ knocked the guy down, did not appear to wrap him up as in a tackle, or even to have grabbed him) and so I'd like to see it again. I thought it was telling that TSN including Suitor was simply silent when showing the replay, very telling I thought.

OTOH, if this legitimately qualified as a hold then would someone please explain how it constitutes a penalty, and how it differed from every other offensive line play in every game? thanks
    "If you want peace, prepare for war.” Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Roman general) 400 AD

vCash

I have no idea what to think about this team.

A worry is that Maas is just so stubborn and will refuse to change things even if they are not working at all because he wants 'to show faith'. The big bag of fail called short yardage for instance. We need to use a guy like we did with Lynch a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    As an offensive minded football coach, do you have any insight as to why CFL coaches love to run short yardage from shotgun every now and then? Because they all do it, is it just supposed to be a tendency breaker? Or could it be based off something they saw in game-film that they feel could be exploited? I wonder what the reasoning is because it rarely seems to work, yet teams keep doing it every year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    can someone please post video of the play or direct me to where I can watch it? Watching the replay during the game it seemed there was no hold, and certainly no "tackle" (CJ knocked the guy down, did not appear to wrap him up as in a tackle, or even to have grabbed him) and so I'd like to see it again. I thought it was telling that TSN including Suitor was simply silent when showing the replay, very telling I thought.

OTOH, if this legitimately qualified as a hold then would someone please explain how it constitutes a penalty, and how it differed from every other offensive line play in every game? thanks
    No hold.... If anything the redblack got the better of gable he just went round him...

Thing is u can see holding all the time.. I recall one tackle for loss when they were 2nd and 1..in our half And the guard is literally pulling I think Moore to the ground.. We didn't get a flag, luckily we got there with pressure

Also on the 3rd down stop at least 3 redblack hands were on the white stripe... No flag no replay..

We can't start finishing teams off so this crap don't matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I have no idea what to think about this team.

A worry is that Maas is just so stubborn and will refuse to change things even if they are not working at all because he wants 'to show faith'. The big bag of fail called short yardage for instance. We need to use a guy like we did with Lynch a few years back.
    It's a team that turned over two thirds of it's roster and is still dominating in most offensive and defensive statistical categories other than points scored, if they can figure that out as they continue to gel, they should be dangerous in the second half.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    As an offensive minded football coach, do you have any insight as to why CFL coaches love to run short yardage from shotgun every now and then? Because they all do it, is it just supposed to be a tendency breaker? Or could it be based off something they saw in game-film that they feel could be exploited? I wonder what the reasoning is because it rarely seems to work, yet teams keep doing it every year.
    In that case we should have kicked the 3....

If it's 3rd and 2 IMHO just call a regular offensive play... We could easily make 2 yards with a nice little slant out concept..

To make it worse I dot. Think we blocked the play correctly it was said our oline seemed to stand or go into pass pro and not fire out.. And I'd agree

For me if it's more than 3rd 1 I'd run one of my pre meditated 3rd down plays u have in your pocket... ( I have em also for 3rd and 4th and goal etc. )
    I'd it's less than 1 u gotta sneak that...

We're missing odonell for sure there but Harris has to be better here he's not aggressive enough.. I understand Maas wants to use tempo o 3rd and 1 so they can't bring the big boys in.. But if we're gonna do it... We gotta get em

- - - Updated - - -

It's a team that turned over two thirds of it's roster and is still dominating in most offensive and defensive statistical categories other than points scored, if they can figure that out as they continue to gel, they should be dangerous in the second half.
    Ceiling is high..I totally agree

In that case we should have kicked the 3....

If it's 3rd and 2 IMHO just call a regular offensive play... We could easily make 2 yards with a nice little slant out concept..

To make it worse I dot. Think we blocked the play correctly it was said our oline seemed to stand or go into pass pro and not fire out.. And I'd agree

For me if it's more than 3rd 1 I'd run one of my pre meditated 3rd down plays u have in your pocket... ( I have em also for 3rd and 4th and goal etc. )
    I'd it's less than 1 u gotta sneak that...

We're missing odonell for sure there but Harris has to be better here he's not aggressive enough.. I understand Maas wants to use tempo o 3rd and 1 so they can't bring the big boys in.. But if we're gonna do it... We gotta get em
    I agree actually, but with all the criticism Maas seems to get for not being aggressive enough when kicking FG's, I didn't mind the attempt to try and make a little momentum and try to take the game over. Unfortunately we didn't execute the play correctly.

vCash

Wow.. some people on here need to chill out a little bit.

1. Isn't Mass NOT callling the plays in? Isn't that Jordan Maksymic?

2. People complaining about short yards and Harris. Do you recall how good he was in the beginning of the season? I'd suspect ( and by no means I am a doctor) but his Knee possibly causing him not to be able to push off as well as he could in the beginning?

3. Like everyone else I hate some of the play calling. Swing passes with no blockers. short 1-3 yard passes. Not to mention the fact we endlessly do them. No Slants or anything of the like. Harris doesn't wait long enough to look down field. He is in drop it off mode almost as soon as he gets the ball. Constant sideline passes both sides, never middle. Do we have a receiver that is a threat for deep ? I dont know. I'd like to say no... but I also think we are completely underusing Ellingson. I do not recall seeing this type of game plan for him in ottawa. If this Cal, Win, Sask, Ham we are done with this passive offense.

3b. I wonder if we are heavy dink n dunk because of he knee ? Perhaps its hampering his ability to throw deep ( planting knee no?) because early this season we still dinked and dunked but Not to this degree.

4. They better figure their offensive **** out quickl. Winnipeg and Calgary ( with BLM) back to back are next.

5. Christon Jones is good. I bet he returns one within 2 games.

6. I expected the D to look a little worse because of the change of personnel. Orange, the president aren't at game speed.

7. it looked like Ottawa was picking on the combo of orange and Hunter. We heard last game how much coaching Johnson was doing for Hunter - I wonder if Orange is doing the same for him?

8. Where the over abundance of going for it on 3rd n short a result of Not thinking Whyte could do a angle punt ?

9. The offense really needs to get its **** together. Too many dink passes under 5 yards REPEATEDLY through out the game, barely anything in the middle. Ottawa was totally not dropping back far because all we where doing was dinking and dunking. Its frustrating to see dink passes for 3 yards over and over and over again and Harris not even trying to look down field? is it his knee? No Trust in receivers to get deep ? From what I recall Ellingson would be great ona slant. Ball control is great n all.. but you need the threat of deep.

10. Isn't it really nice to have a Defense you can confidently rely on to stop teams and essentially with you games. Such a massive difference from a Benefeces D

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post

2. People complaining about short yards and Harris. Do you recall how good he was in the beginning of the season? I'd suspect ( and by no means I am a doctor) but his Knee possibly causing him not to be able to push off as well as he could in the beginning?

3. Like everyone else I hate some of the play calling. Swing passes with no blockers. short 1-3 yard passes. Not to mention the fact we endlessly do them. No Slants or anything of the like. Harris doesn't wait long enough to look down field. He is in drop it off mode almost as soon as he gets the ball. Constant sideline passes both sides, never middle. Do we have a receiver that is a threat for deep ? I dont know. I'd like to say no... but I also think we are completely underusing Ellingson. I do not recall seeing this type of game plan for him in ottawa. If this Cal, Win, Sask, Ham we are done with this passive offense.

3b. I wonder if we are heavy dink n dunk because of he knee ? Perhaps its hampering his ability to throw deep ( planting knee no?) because early this season we still dinked and dunked but Not to this degree.

4. They better figure their offensive **** out quickl. Winnipeg and Calgary ( with BLM) back to back are next.

6. I expected the D to look a little worse because of the change of personnel. Orange, the president aren't at game speed.

7. it looked like Ottawa was picking on the combo of orange and Hunter. We heard last game how much coaching Johnson was doing for Hunter - I wonder if Orange is doing the same for him?

8. Where the over abundance of going for it on 3rd n short a result of Not thinking Whyte could do a angle punt ?

9. The offense really needs to get its **** together. Too many dink passes under 5 yards REPEATEDLY through out the game, barely anything in the middle. Ottawa was totally not dropping back far because all we where doing was dinking and dunking. Its frustrating to see dink passes for 3 yards over and over and over again and Harris not even trying to look down field? is it his knee? No Trust in receivers to get deep ? From what I recall Ellingson would be great ona slant. Ball control is great n all.. but you need the threat of deep.

10. Isn't it really nice to have a Defense you can confidently rely on to stop teams and essentially with you games. Such a massive difference from a Benefeces D
    Maas is calling the plays..

Being a OC doesn't necessarily mean your the play caller

vCash

I will always take a win but that was a very poorly played game in my opinion by the Esks especially by the offense and the trend that this offense seems to be in is concerning.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

But we moved the ball at will against Winnipeg and created the first and only three big plays that the Stamps D has given up so far this season. The offense is gonna be fine but they do need to sort out there redzone troubles no question. I agree it'd be nice to add another big play threat like Mitchell or Duke.

In regards to your speculation about Trevor's knee, you may be on to something as I have heard some rumors that his injury is substantial enough that he could be missing time because of it but is choosing to gut it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I will always take a win but that was a very poorly played game in my opinion by the Esks especially by the offense and the trend that this offense seems to be in is concerning.
    It's a good sign when you can have a bad game and still find a way to grind out a win, that's what Calgary's done for years, especially lately. They rarely go in and blow a team out they just keep hanging around all game and then find a way to make the plays they need at the end to win.

That last series from the D where they shut Ottawa down three times from the ten was brilliant, this teams learning how to win.

vCash

U have to take from that we haven’t reached our ceiling yet..

Our biggest issue is getting points off drives..

Inside their 30 3-4 times
    Harris fumble was unlucky was a good play by the red black to rip.. harris needed to cover up
    Fg miss from wyte
    Goalline stand from Ottawa

We have room to grow..
    I remember hearing that last year, Reilly in post-game interviews saying every week that the sky's the limit if we can avoid penalties, turnovers, and mistakes.

It never happened in 2018. Sure hope something changes this year.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Maas is calling the plays..

Being a OC doesn't necessarily mean your the play caller
    thanks.. I wasn't sure if he was or not. Thought I read in the beginning it wasn't him but I also drink and edible a lot

thanks.. I wasn't sure if he was or not. Thought I read in the beginning it wasn't him but I also drink and edible a lot
    I also thought it was said somewhere early on that Jordan would call the plays but for whatever reason that hasn't ended up being the case.

vCash

Methinks Maksymic is still too green to give full reign play calling

vCash

B
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    On a lot of those lateral passes, some of the receivers will have deep routes to pull the secondary away from the LOS where the play develops. Harris was very quick to throw the lateral route on those plays making me think it was by design.

But Harris has also had a lower average depth of target than the rest of the league for a few years now.

So like I mentioned during the game, it’s really tough to figure out how much is Harris not wanting to go downfield and how much is play calling.

I know there was one play where he dumped down to Gable 2 yards short without any pressure from Ottawa and plenty of time to wait for a better option to possibly open up. That one had me shaking my head.
    I see what you're saying, but how could it not be an option to take that shot if the design ends up with 82 literally wide open no one behind him for TD. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I guess if Trevor doesn't make that extra read...ball already leaving his hands. But I was in the stands appalled as that could have been a TD on the drive
    Last edited by Maas_12; 08-10-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Love Diggs' intensity in the post game interview, the dudes been a stud all year long.

vCash

Jordan is the Oc.. he is the one leading the meetings and prob doing install.. and he has had a say in what we’re runnkng.. but this is till Jason’s playbook still Jason running it.. he has Jordan in his ear giving him keys and looks but it’s still maas.

Happens a ton in ncaa and nfl..

It just takes away a lot of the everyday grind away from Jason being a Oc and hc..

- - - Updated - - -

I remember hearing that last year, Reilly in post-game interviews saying every week that the sky's the limit if we can avoid penalties, turnovers, and mistakes.

It never happened in 2018. Sure hope something changes this year.

Offence is more balanced and imho in a better place than last year

Stuff to clean up but so has every other team in the cfl

And let’s be honest.. we only need to find a way to score 24 points.. we do that we’re gonna win 90% of our games

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    If you based your decision on whether or not to watch the game off the game-day thread comments on this forum every week, you'd never watch another Esks game again lol.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 08-10-2019 at 03:25 PM.

vCash

If you based your decision on weather or not to watch the game off the game-day thread comments on this forum every week, you'd never watch another Esks game again lol.
    True enough.