Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Eskies vs RedBlacks

vCash

Re: Eskies vs RedBlacks

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    can someone please post video of the play or direct me to where I can watch it? Watching the replay during the game it seemed there was no hold, and certainly no "tackle" (CJ knocked the guy down, did not appear to wrap him up as in a tackle, or even to have grabbed him) and so I'd like to see it again. I thought it was telling that TSN including Suitor was simply silent when showing the replay, very telling I thought.

OTOH, if this legitimately qualified as a hold then would someone please explain how it constitutes a penalty, and how it differed from every other offensive line play in every game? thanks
    It was Ruby that was called. TSN was focussing on the wrong guy. There was a bit of a hold, but basically the same as the hold on the Ottawa TD that wasn't called.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Forgot to mention the Esks PA announcer must have been drinking....

We completed a pass to Josh Johnson - whos a DB.

And an Ottawa defender made a tackle. His name ? Jonothon Jennings.. who as we know is a QB.
    Caught that one too. I was thinking Ottawa was up to some tricks as I missed the tackle and was wondering why Jennings was on the Defense

__edit to add:

Now that I'm caught up the other thing that frustrated me on the holding call on Ruby is that I'm pretty certain it was only thrown after the throw was completed. I was watching closely and usually see flags when they are thrown before the pass, this one wasn't. I don't think anyone on the field saw it either as everyone was celebrating.
    Last edited by bone; 08-12-2019 at 02:19 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    It doesn't appear that you pay much attention to what anyone posts around here, you're too preoccupied with your long winded rants that go in circles all day to actually take into consideration what anyone else has to say.
    Need a tissue?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Need a tissue?
    Case in point

vCash

I actually don't. I am just being straight up and telling the truth. I usually go right past your stuff because I don't care to read it. So I didn't even see you posted similar stuff to what I said.
    I get the feeling you don't like to read anything other than your own or Diesels posts but again that's just my opinion. You lost me a a few weeks ago when you said you didn't watch the game and won't even be watching the highlights.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    It was Ruby that was called. TSN was focussing on the wrong guy. There was a bit of a hold, but basically the same as the hold on the Ottawa TD that wasn't called.
    Yeah, I just watched the game last night (was camping on the weekend) and saw the same thing. TSN focused on Gable, but when I re-wound the tape the ref clearly called the penalty on 52, not 2. Ruby was beat and was holding the DT around the shoulders with one arm. This is the type of hold that is sometimes called and sometimes not, however IMO Harris would not have got the ball off without the hold (at least not from the same spot he threw it from).
    Last edited by TeqEEla; 08-12-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Yeah, I just watched the game last night (was camping on the weekend) and saw the same thing. TSN focused on Gable, but when I re-wound the tape the ref clearing called the penalty on 52, not 2. Ruby was beat and was holding the DT around the shoulders with one arm. This is the type of hold that is sometimes called and sometimes not, however IMO Harris would not have got the ball off without the hold (at least not from the same spot he threw it from).
    I'll have to go back and take a look at that, I was focused on Gable.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I get the feeling you don't like to read anything other than your own or Diesels posts but again that's just my opinion. You lost me a a few weeks ago when you said you didn't watch the game and won't even be watching the highlights.
    I don't remember the exact game that was but I think it was probably the Montreal game. I wasn't able to watch the game because I do have a life and family with youngish kids so sometimes I am not able to spend 3.5 hours sitting watching football especially at certain times on certain days. I don't know you or what your home situation is but I personally do from time to time have to do things with my family. 2pm on a Saturday which was when that game was on is pretty premium time in my household. I did record the game and had intended on watching it that evening when the kids were in bed. But I did check the score and when I saw they lost 20-10 to a team that at the time in my opinion wasn't very good, recently fired their GM so they were dysfunctional and in my opinion doesn't have much of a QB. So a game I felt they should win given I believed the Esks had the superior roster and it wasn't close in my mind. Then I saw in the score they didn't even score a TD so I decided it really wasn't worth my time to watch it. So since if your mind it was such a heinous crime on my part not to take 3.5 hours out of my evening to sit down and watch a recorded game in which I knew the outcome, the Esks play poorly and lost to an inferior in talent team, what exactly did I miss? You have my attention now.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I'm here late so it may have been commented on already, but it wasn't CJ that was called. Ruby was called on basically the same positioning that Ottawa got away with on their touchdown.
    Huh, you are correct. I could’ve sworn the penalty was announced against Gable but the CFL box score has it against Ruby.
    Last edited by T-BONE; 08-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.

vCash

I don't remember the exact game that was but I think it was probably the Montreal game. I wasn't able to watch the game because I do have a life and family with youngish kids so sometimes I am not able to spend 3.5 hours sitting watching football especially at certain times on certain days. I don't know you or what your home situation is but I personally do from time to time have to do things with my family. 2pm on a Saturday which was when that game was on is pretty premium time in my household. I did record the game and had intended on watching it that evening when the kids were in bed. But I did check the score and when I saw they lost 20-10 to a team that at the time in my opinion wasn't very good, recently fired their GM so they were dysfunctional and in my opinion doesn't have much of a QB. So a game I felt they should win given I believed the Esks had the superior roster and it wasn't close in my mind. Then I saw in the score they didn't even score a TD so I decided it really wasn't worth my time to watch it. So since if your mind it was such a heinous crime on my part not to take 3.5 hours out of my evening to sit down and watch a recorded game in which I knew the outcome, the Esks play poorly and lost to an inferior in talent team, what exactly did I miss? You have my attention now.
    I'm not making this into a competition as I know you've had season seats for X number of years but when a fan doesn't even watch the highlights, I question their dedication.

BTW I have a youngish family and sometimes watch the games via PVR as my little dude is a hockey player so the end of the CFL season is always tough on me.... not that I need to justify anything to you.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Here's a breakdown of the top 10 yardage QB's so far this year and their average per completio

13.33 Vernon Adams Jr. - Montreal
    12.72 Cody Fjardo - Saskatchewan
    12.60 Jeremiah Masoli - Hamilton
    12.40 Nick Arbuckle - Calgary
    11.88 Mcleod Bethel-Thompson - Toronto
    11.47 Mike Reilly - BC
    11.34 Trevor Harris - Edmonton
    10.92 Dane Evans - Hamilton
    10.91 Matt Nichols - Winnipeg
    10.85 Dominique Davis - Ottawa

Harris threw for an average of 11.87 last year - so, similar - ultimately, we knew what we were getting with Harris. The key comparable stat to last year that stands out for me is TD's vs Int. Last year Harris threw for 22 TD's and 11 Int. This year he is on pace for the same number of TD's but only 5 picks. I would think there should be more opportunities to take some chances with a deeper ball.
    Although I rarely pay attention to what Glen Suitor says, he did bring up an important point in our game this week about Harris having more time in the pocket than he realizes. There were a few situations in the game where he dished the ball off earlier than he should have, and as a result, didn't give some of his deeper receivers time to get open. Our offense has only given up 3 sacks this season. The rest of the clubs range from 11 to 29. That anomaly can partially be attributed to a solid job by the O-line, but I think much of it may have to do with Harris getting the ball out so quickly - perhaps in some situations, too quickly, thus preventing the potential for bigger plays to develop?

Just a theory.
    This made me curious so I went and checked and Ottawa allowed 43 sacks last year or 2.4 per game, 2nd worst in the CFL.

Esks are at 3 through 8 games or 0.4 allowed per game which is straight up insanely good.

This is a really good offensive line, which makes the fact that they’ve been flagged for the most holding calls in the league perplexing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    This made me curious so I went and checked and Ottawa allowed 43 sacks last year or 2.4 per game, 2nd worst in the CFL.

Esks are at 3 through 8 games or 0.4 allowed per game which is straight up insanely good.

This is a really good offensive line, which makes the fact that they’ve been flagged for the most holding calls in the league perplexing.
    What really surprised me was that over their careers Reilly has an average yards per completion of 12.62 compared to 11.92 for Harris, only 0.7 yards per completion lower.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I'm not making this into a competition as I know you've had season seats for X number of years but when a fan doesn't even watch the highlights, I question their dedication.

BTW I have a youngish family and sometimes watch the games via PVR as my little dude is a hockey player so the end of the CFL season is always tough on me.... not that I need to justify anything to you.
    So because I chose to do something with my family instead of watching the Esks play in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, then after seeing the score and reading a few things on twitter about how lousy they played from Esks media mouth pieces, I chose not to watch my recording because I already knew the result and to save myself further frustration, that makes me less dedicated to the team? I already knew they lost and played like sh!t in doing so I don't see the value in watching the game. To do what, reconfirm they were lousy in the game?

If that is the case, then so be it.

vCash

So because I chose to do something with my family instead of watching the Esks play in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, then after seeing the score and reading a few things on twitter about how lousy they played from Esks media mouth pieces, I chose not to watch my recording because I already knew the result and to save myself further frustration, that makes me less dedicated to the team? I already knew they lost and played like sh!t in doing so I don't see the value in watching the game. To do what, reconfirm they were lousy in the game?

If that is the case, then so be it.
    It makes the points you are trying to make less valuable as you aren't working with as much information, especially if you won't even take the time to watch the highlights.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post

I had thought that there is probably some degree of subconscious "evening up" on the part of the officials on behalf of the underdog - if one line is getting dominated, they probably won't call as much on that team so as not to let the game get out of hand. That would explain our OL getting more holding calls - because we're so good the other team needs some help - and also our DL getting no holds called against - because if they didn't let them hold we'd have 10 sacks a game.

However, that theory doesn't explain Calgary getting very few holding calls on their OL for multiple years while they were at the top of the league.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

It makes the points you are trying to make less valuable as you aren't working with as much information, especially if you won't even take the time to watch the highlights.
    Whatever you say buddy.

vCash

seems like they were stealing our defensive signals. With all of the free agents we signed I still say Lolley was the biggest add.

https://www.esks.com/2019/08/12/post...llip-lolley-2/
    #PizStrong

vCash

seems like they were stealing our defensive signals. With all of the free agents we signed I still say Lolley was the biggest add.

Interesting about stealing signals. I like that he was subtle about that suggestion to the media. He certainly seems like a guy that understands his role well and finds the balance between individuals and team concepts. I think if I was playing football, I'd like a coach like that.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Dang, that guy prepares the team well. If he was here last year we likely would have been in the home locker room on Grey Cup day.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Dang, that guy prepares the team well. If he was here last year we likely would have been in the home locker room on Grey Cup day.
    U can tell he coaches his ass off and loves his guys every day.. just by his tone..

Big fan of coach lolley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    U can tell he coaches his ass off and loves his guys every day.. just by his tone..

Big fan of coach lolley
    100%. It's like he has all the positive qualities of Chris Jones, but replaces all of the negative qualities of Jones with good. Really wish we had found a way to make him DC earlier as I'd have loved to see a Reilly led offence supported by a Lolley-run defense. Considering the results when Jones was running the defense, I think we would have seen at least another cup during Reilly's tenure.

vCash

Section Q in a ranting run on sentence pissing match? Never seen that before. It's ok mods, he won't read this either because he hates people that call him on his bull****.

Lolley looking pretty damn good early on. Best D in the league by a lot, lets take care of business on the road in Toronto and at home (where we're still perfect) for Winnipeg before LD.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

Caught that one too. I was thinking Ottawa was up to some tricks as I missed the tackle and was wondering why Jennings was on the Defense

__edit to add:

Now that I'm caught up the other thing that frustrated me on the holding call on Ruby is that I'm pretty certain it was only thrown after the throw was completed. I was watching closely and usually see flags when they are thrown before the pass, this one wasn't. I don't think anyone on the field saw it either as everyone was celebrating.
    Looking back at both plays and you've pretty much nailed it. There should have been a holding call on the Ottawa TD or there should not have been a holding call on Daniels' TD.

It's pretty funny how that hold that was called on Ruby and not Gable was a black mark on Gable's performance that night but Suitor was willing to give Gable a 'bogie' on it.

I don't know how soon the flags were thrown but they were thrown well before Daniels made it to the end zone and both offensive backfield officials threw their flag.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

Big fan of coach lolley
    damn, what a great interview he is. ive heard interviews from him maybe 3 times. All 3 have been insightful.

you can tell by the way he speaks, this is a old school man with high values and character it seems... a lot of what this world lacks today!
    I don't know what it is...its like hes this exceptionally well spoken father figure lol...

and hell yeah... if I was playing, I think id love playing for someone like him

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    damn, what a great interview he is. ive heard interviews from him maybe 3 times. All 3 have been insightful.

you can tell by the way he speaks, this is a old school man with high values and character it seems... a lot of what this world lacks today!
    I don't know what it is...its like hes this exceptionally well spoken father figure lol...

and hell yeah... if I was playing, I think id love playing for someone like him
    high value and character are good words to describe Lolley. I can't recall the exact scenario but I believe the reason he was let go in Hamilton was that they wanted to let William Fields go and Lolley said if he goes I go.

This is all off of memory, so I may be incorrect but it was something like that.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Section Q in a ranting run on sentence pissing match? Never seen that before. It's ok mods, he won't read this either because he hates people that call him on his bull****.

vCash

high value and character are good words to describe Lolley. I can't recall the exact scenario but I believe the reason he was let go in Hamilton was that they wanted to let William Fields go and Lolley said if he goes I go.

This is all off of memory, so I may be incorrect but it was something like that.
    And Fields also ended up with the Esks in the off-season but left before TC for a position in the XFL if memory serves....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Looking back at both plays and you've pretty much nailed it. There should have been a holding call on the Ottawa TD or there should not have been a holding call on Daniels' TD.

It's pretty funny how that hold that was called on Ruby and not Gable was a black mark on Gable's performance that night but Suitor was willing to give Gable a 'bogie' on it.

I don't know how soon the flags were thrown but they were thrown well before Daniels made it to the end zone and both offensive backfield officials threw their flag.
    My recollection is that the call on the field was "holding, Edmonton #2" but my memory may be influenced by Suitor's going on and on about the "bogey" to Gable for the hold. Therefore, I've tried to find video of the play and the call to confirm or rebut what I remember, but can't find it anywhere. If anyone can point me to the video I'd be grateful.

Don't want to fuel any more unnecessary conspiracy talk, but if the hold was called on Gable is it possible that the league later amended the official score sheet to show Ruby with the penalty, since it was at least arguable that Ruby was holding from other comments on this thread? Or maybe the ref mis-spoke or Suitor also heard the call wrong - just more reasons why I'd like to see the clip of the play and call again.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war.” Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Roman general) 400 AD

vCash

Ruby's number is 52. I think it'd be an easy mistake to make. I'd love to hear Suitor's opinion on the play now

Not to mention the previous week, when he rhapsodized several times about the Calgary returner deking out of his socks an injured and hobbling Hugh O'Neil who was desperately struggling to get off the field
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Ruby's number is 52. I think it'd be an easy mistake to make. I'd love to hear Suitor's opinion on the play now

Not to mention the previous week, when he rhapsodized several times about the Calgary returner deking out of his socks an injured and hobbling Hugh O'Neil who was desperately struggling to get off the field
    Suitor ...... why.. is there NO body else..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    My recollection is that the call on the field was "holding, Edmonton #2" but my memory may be influenced by Suitor's going on and on about the "bogey" to Gable for the hold. Therefore, I've tried to find video of the play and the call to confirm or rebut what I remember, but can't find it anywhere. If anyone can point me to the video I'd be grateful.

Don't want to fuel any more unnecessary conspiracy talk, but if the hold was called on Gable is it possible that the league later amended the official score sheet to show Ruby with the penalty, since it was at least arguable that Ruby was holding from other comments on this thread? Or maybe the ref mis-spoke or Suitor also heard the call wrong - just more reasons why I'd like to see the clip of the play and call again.
    When watching on TV I heard 52, not 2, so I was confused why Suitor kept going on about Gable, so I double checked the game tracker and it supported what I heard. Unfortunately though I've already deleted it off the PVR. I think TSN still has entire games on demand though, so you could scan forward to when it happened in the game.

Yes. On demand it is at the 2:19:11 mark where it is clear the ref says 52.
    Last edited by bone; 08-13-2019 at 02:06 PM.