Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskies vs Bombers, round 2 - redemption day

vCash

Re: Eskies vs Bombers, round 2 - redemption day

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    For those that want Jason maas out..

Who we bringing in?

Maas has his flaws but has my Full support as hc!
    He's my head coach as well.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Ya know what there is zero chance I am going to read this thread in its entirety. Granted I only got to see most of the third and forth in an airport, but I get the gist of what people are saying.

1. The Esks get burned by a running QB - again. Perhaps they should figure that out ?

2. Reading the stat line i thought we didn't do to bad in the penalty department. It just seems it was a few stupid brain farts. Bigger issue to me is the stuff NOT being called on the opposition. Illegal blocks, holds at point of attack being ignored etc.

3. For you that want Maas fired. Give your head a shake.

4. Hope we get some Olinemen back soon.

5. I hope we do not see Hoover at a cb position because Arjen went out. Calgary will have a field day against him.

6. We had a TD pass earlier in the game - if the Bumbers DB didn't dive 10 yards to break it up - hell of a play by him. Bombers secondary is top notch .. frustrating we couldn't punch some in though.

7. This isn't going to be popular. But I'm getting tired of Gables inability to get yards. First down - hand off - for a loss. Over and over and over again. Granted some blame has to fall at the feet of the Oline. Gable doesn't have the speed to bounce stuff to the outside if the middle isn't there. Haviing Cooper and Gable spell off would be huge as Cooper is the exact polar opposite of Gable

8. whatever this game is done.... just....BEAT THE **** OUTTA CALGARY!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    CFL is entertaining football but refereeing makes it look bush league!
    I think this is my last year as a CFL season seat holder. The game is no longer entertaining, the officiating is ticky-tack. Too many missed calls last night, too one sided.

The return game is no fun. The Eskimos should just signal for a fair catch and accept a 10 yard penalty. 99% of the calls on returns have no bearing on the return.

I filled out a review of the game for the Eskimos, I told them I would not recommend attending games to friends and family.

There is good reason attendance has crashed in the CFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    After we lose the Labor Day game, we will be 6-5 with the #1 offense in net yards and the #1 defense in net yards.

I donít believe we can win a championship with Maas as coach. His teams are always undisciplined and it never changes and at this point, it never will.

The Esks are now 1-4 against teams that are .500 or over. And they almost blew that one win.
    I donít think it is Maas, we get ticky tack calls, I think it is CFL officiating has a vendetta against the Eskimos and/or Maas.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    He's my head coach as well.
    Mine too, 110% support.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    Mine too, 110% support.
    I agree with this and I agree when you said this game isn't a whole lot of fun to watch anymore and it's not just the esks games. Refs miss calls I get that but a ref should try to never make a call that determines the outcome of a game.
    NCAA football is on tonight Miami vs Florida there might be a missed call in that game but I have confidence that by and large it's going to be offciated properly with the CFL it's just a crap shoot
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post

I don’t think it is Maas, we get ticky tack calls, I think it is CFL officiating has a vendetta against the Eskimos and/or Maas.
    I think you might mean the CFL overlords TSN

vCash

I wanted Maas gone in the off-season but it didn’t happen. I certainly don’t want a mid season change because this will accomplish nothing but there are just too many ongoing issues with Maas for my liking.

One change I would like to see is a prolonged look at Cooper. Gable’s production against good defenses this year just hasn’t been good enough. Also wasn’t a fan of him giving up on the play on the pick six.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Penalties were going to straight up cost us and it finally hit tonight.

Refs were infuriating but no touchdowns equals no victory...
    The cost us in every loss against a western opponent this year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    They knew they were going to run the ball all night. They knew they had to contain Harris and Strevler. No halftime adjustments and the duo continued to run all over us. We know the refs are going to butt jump us every chance they get yet we still cause a ruckus after the whistles. What the ever loving f*ck is going on when a team canít score one damned touchdown all game? It was like someone plopped the Golden Bears on the field and told to do their best. I canít remember leaving the stadium so angry at my team. The garbage about the one Bomber snapping necks out there and us getting two huge penalties is complete and utter bs. The reffing effectively gave them a touchdown there. Fricken hard to win with field goals and playing two teams at the same time.

The Bomber rushing was 66, 55, 37, and 33. So the Bomber rushing production went down significantly in the second half. Ten of those yards were on the No Holds Called TD drive after command centre decided the Bombers should get a TD to salt the game away.

vCash

I'd really like to see Maas's Esks get to the next level. I'm a little tired of being a dark horse. This team can be better if it can clean up the penalties, turnovers, special teams, red zone production...something we've seen for a couple of years.

The next two games will go a long way to determining if we're a genuine contender or a dark horse. I'll be watching nervously.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    The cost us in every loss against a western opponent this year.
    And they more so cost is in what wasn't called.

In the first game against Winnipeg they had 1 penalty before the game was "out of hand" and then the refs tried to "even it up."

Calgary scored a TD on a kick return with two blatant illegal blocks.

And then last night Winnipeg somehow gets 25 yards for starting a skirmish with clear as day unnecessary roughness and follow it up allowing the game clinching TD on a blatant hold.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I'd really like to see Maas's Esks get to the next level. I'm a little tired of being a dark horse. This team can be better if it can clean up the penalties, turnovers, special teams, red zone production...something we've seen for a couple of years.

The next two games will go a long way to determining if we're a genuine contender or a dark horse. I'll be watching nervously.
    I'm right there with you. There's a lot of griping about reffing every time the Esks lose, but the bottom line is that this team needs to clean up the penalties, get a damn return game, and increase red zone production. Fix all that and the refs can make bad calls till the cows come home and this team will still win. They have the talent. They just need to clean up their issues.
    @chadganske

vCash

The Bomber rushing was 66, 55, 37, and 33. So the Bomber rushing production went down significantly in the second half. Ten of those yards were on the No Holds Called TD drive after command centre decided the Bombers should get a TD to salt the game away.
    https://twitter.com/Kinger999/status...14548338061312
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Isn't it the same in hockey? The one who retaliates always gets penalized.

#68 was smart to walk away. Esks need to be smarter.

vCash

1. The rain wasn't that bad. It was light. Was a nice evening.

2. T. Harris was off. If he hits Daniels in stride, 2 easy TDs. Was it the rain? Or does he not have the arm? Do we not have an end zone corner route?

3. Lolley needs to counteract better. When the chips were down, it was going to be run by #33 or Strevler. Yet the alignments and containment weren't there.

4. Blame the officials all you want. But if you can't score a TD, do you really expect to win?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
    I'm right there with you. There's a lot of griping about reffing every time the Esks lose, but the bottom line is that this team needs to clean up the penalties, get a damn return game, and increase red zone production. Fix all that and the refs can make bad calls till the cows come home and this team will still win. They have the talent. They just need to clean up their issues.
    How can the Eskimos clean up the penalties and have the refs still make bad calls?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post

The whole thing was reviewed before both the calls were made. The only flag on the field was to Money Hunter for pushing himself away from the ref. An Objectionable Conduct penalty that would have made it third and three. 68 attacked two players after the play was over. Did you see any Eskimos actually do anything to any Bomber in retaliation?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post

They reviewed this at the command centre and decided 68 didn't do anything wrong.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    And they more so cost is in what wasn't called.

In the first game against Winnipeg they had 1 penalty before the game was "out of hand" and then the refs tried to "even it up."

Calgary scored a TD on a kick return with two blatant illegal blocks.

And then last night Winnipeg somehow gets 25 yards for starting a skirmish with clear as day unnecessary roughness and follow it up allowing the game clinching TD on a blatant hold.
    The hold on strevellers td was shockingly bad.. I haven’t mentioned it because they are not gonna change it after the fact.. but your right.. is like one of those missed calls to factor into a win for us

- - - Updated - - -

The whole thing was reviewed before both the calls were made. The only flag on the field was to Money Hunter for pushing himself away from the ref. An Objectionable Conduct penalty that would have made it third and three. 68 attacked two players after the play was over. Did you see any Eskimos actually do anything to any Bomber in retaliation?

Nope..

That’s actually good coachin... don’t bite as we say

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I wanted Maas gone in the off-season but it didn’t happen. I certainly don’t want a mid season change because this will accomplish nothing but there are just too many ongoing issues with Maas for my liking.

One change I would like to see is a prolonged look at Cooper. Gable’s production against good defenses this year just hasn’t been good enough. Also wasn’t a fan of him giving up on the play on the pick six.
    I agree I would like to see Copper get a few games in a row as the starting RB. Let him be the ‘bell-cow’ and see what he brings to the offender. Nothing against Gable as he been a warrior since an Eskimo.... but agree against good defended he seems to be less effective. Looks to me like he is slowed down. Not hitting the holes with as much speed.

Mass in my coach also. Let’s be honest... if he fired he would have a handful of CFL teams wanting his services.

vCash

How can the Eskimos clean up the penalties and have the refs still make bad calls?
    There are penalties they can't control due to bad calls, but there are lots of penalties they can control. The undisciplined crap is costing them plenty.
    @chadganske

vCash

And don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the reffing isn't partly to blame. I'm just saying if the Esks manage to turn one of their 7 FGs (in either game versus the Bombers) into a single TD, they likely win both. Red zone production will beat bad reffing.
    @chadganske

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I agree I would like to see Copper get a few games in a row as the starting RB. Let him be the ‘bell-cow’ and see what he brings to the offender. Nothing against Gable as he been a warrior since an Eskimo.... but agree against good defended he seems to be less effective. Looks to me like he is slowed down. Not hitting the holes with as much speed.

Mass in my coach also. Let’s be honest... if he fired he would have a handful of CFL teams wanting his services.
    As an OC, 100 %. As a head coach though? Not convinced.

vCash

I hope JM is the coach here the next decade and TSN is bush for pushing the narrative that he's undisciplined because they don't like him.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I agree I would like to see Copper get a few games in a row as the starting RB. Let him be the Ďbell-cowí and see what he brings to the offender. Nothing against Gable as he been a warrior since an Eskimo.... but agree against good defended he seems to be less effective. Looks to me like he is slowed down. Not hitting the holes with as much speed.

Mass in my coach also. Letís be honest... if he fired he would have a handful of CFL teams wanting his services.
    Montreal, Toronto & Calgary dress & play 2 import RBís.
    Christion Jones is also a RB but we have used him sparingly as such....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    The Esks problem with respect to penalties isn't so much penalties taken as the penalties the other teams are inexplicably not called for when they play the Eskimos.
    HOLY #$%%$&%^%^.... this is the only thing that made sense about that entire game.
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

What a frustrating game. The Esks almost double the Bombers in offense 489 - 251, hold a QB to 89 yards in passing but somehow give up 34 pts and lose the game. I have mentioned this multiple times. The Esks offense can move up and down the field all they want between the 20's. Once they get inside the 20's all of a sudden they can't move the ball. I would like to know how much of their scoring problems is play calling and how much is player execution. If it's all on the play calling, then IMO they wouldn't be able to move the ball as well as they do. IMO a lot of it comes down to player execution and QB decisions. As soon as a defense gets inside the scoring zone, they tighten up. So receivers aren't getting open as easily. So that is on them. I also think that and I have said it before, the Esks and Harris do not play an attacking style. Harris is all about getting the ball out as fast as he can. He is not going to throw it through a wall like Reilly but he has a good enough arm and has shown the ability to throw longer passes but he seems to choose not too. In the middle of the field when the defense is more willing to give you a bit more cushion, those short passes work fine. When they get into the scoring zone and the defense tightens up, all of a sudden those short passes don't work so well. Here is a perfect example.
    https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/game/winnipeg...20190823/Stats

If you watch the video attached to the scoring page for the Esks game. At the 37 sec mark, it shows the Esks going into the scoring zone the ball being at the 23. The Esks are second and looks like 10. EVERY receiver except Adjei runs a 10+ yard pattern. Adjei runs a 3 yard hook. Harris trying to get the ball out fast, throws it to Adjei. Now the throw isn't perfect and Adjei has to adjust to it to make the catch but even if it was perfect, Adjei would have been catching that ball 6 yards short of the first down and had to beat THREE Bombers to get the first down. Now maybe if the throw was perfect, he could have beat all those Bombers but the chances are very slim. I don't know what happened to the rest of the receivers and if they were open but given how fast Harris threw that ball, I have my doubts any of the other receivers even had time to finish their route. Now when you need 10 yards for a first, the coach draws up and calls a play where there are 5 receivers, 4 of which run 10 + yard patterns and there is ONE release pattern receiver and the QB with not a ton of pressure defaults to the short receiver, who's fault is that? I have a hard time placing blame on the coach. Harris IMO seems to default to the short receiver to make sure he gets that ball out fast way, way too often. If you watch that play, he had the time to look down field as the Bombers only had 3 coming but he had it in his mind before the snap came that he was throwing to Adjei no matter what. Harris's MO even before he came to the Esks was he was an accurate passer that gets the ball out quickly. I didn't watch the RedBlacks as much as I watched the Esks but when I did, I seem to remember the Redblacks offense being all about shorter passes.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 08-26-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

After a few days to cool off, here are my thoughts on the game:

1. I have coached a lot of youth sport and one of the things I always say is that "if you think the refs are against you, then you aren't watching both sides as they miss calls both ways." That being said, I've never questioned that statement more than I have this year and specifically that last game. The 2 roughing calls aside, how did they miss the blatant hold on Boateng? I saw it right away and was SHOCKED when it never got called.
    2. Harris doesn't have the arm strength Reilly has but is more accurate.
    3. Our D is going to be seeing a steady dose of screens, runs and QB options, at least until we prove that we can shut it down.
    4. Can't believe I'm frustrated with the D when we gave up under 100 yards passing. They've set the bar that high.
    5. Daniels is as advertised and I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings against his former team.
    6. I wouldn't be comfortable if Streveler were my starting QB but I would like him to be my running back LOL
    7. Our Oline struggled but I wouldn't be leaving anyone on an island with Jefferson. Should have given him more help.

Time to move on and focus on Calgary and our push to get a home playoff game.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Sorry for posting the Victory Booty so late...it's all my fault we lost.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    7. Our Oline struggled but I wouldn't be leaving anyone on an island with Jefferson. Should have given him more help.
    Jefferson was (in my opinion) the defensive player of the year last year and one of the best free agent signings of 2019. I'm not surprised by his performance on Friday, but agree with you - a better game plan should have been put in place to focus on him.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie