Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskies vs Bombers, round 2 - redemption day

vCash

Attention Eskies vs Bombers, round 2 - redemption day

No Matt Nichols and possibly Harris?

#PizStrong

vCash

Re: Eskies vs Bombers, round 2 - redemption day

O'Shea said last night that Harris would play, no problem. Maybe a deception? I dunno.

With no Bomber Harris, the Esks win pretty easily IMO. Bomber schemes will be a bit unpredictable with Streveler, but I trust Lolley to rein him in. In this scenario, an Esk win isn't much of a statement, but I'd take it anyway.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    No Matt Nichols and possibly Harris?

Yikes. That said, if he can't go, you'll have a hungry backup that knows his team is relying on him and that also knows he won't get many opportunities like this to show his stuff, which could also be a problem. Would rather see Harris play and have us shut him down, so having him at less than 100% wouldn't be a bad thing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    O'Shea said last night that Harris would play, no problem. Maybe a deception? I dunno.

With no Bomber Harris, the Esks win pretty easily IMO. Bomber schemes will be a bit unpredictable with Streveler, but I trust Lolley to rein him in. In this scenario, an Esk win isn't much of a statement, but I'd take it anyway.
    Ya I would be surprised if he doesn't play, has proven to be a work horse over his career.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I'm thinking a veteran maintenance day. If he's not practicing tomorrow, then there might be a little something to this.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    I'm thinking a veteran maintenance day. If he's not practicing tomorrow, then there might be a little something to this.
    Yeah. Plan for game as usual Eskimo defense. Harris will be there.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Harris is definitely sporting some type of injury, he came out early last week after getting up from a tackle a bit gingerly. TSN of course didn’t notice it. It was late in the game so they probably assumed it was just to give the backup some touches.

Edit: Apparently he left practise yesterday with an elbow injury, so it seems unrelated to their last game.

Whether it’s serious or just a knock, I guess we will find out in the next 48 hours.
    Last edited by T-BONE; 08-21-2019 at 02:18 PM.

vCash

Key to the game and it is no secret...

1. Contain Harris in both rushing the ball and catching the ball out of the back field.
    2. Keep Streveler in the pocket and turn him into a passing QB.

I would assume that Winnipeg will have a heavy dose of running plays for both QB and RB.... Streveler I will take off and run on passing plays as soon as he feels pressure.... it will be crucial that we are prepared for that.

Agreed that Streveler scares me more then Dominique Davis. I have a gut feeling Streveler will either have an absolute dud of a game or be an absolute stud....nothing in between...

My 3 cents...

vCash

And don’t let Lucky Whitehead destroy us again!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    And don’t let Lucky Whitehead destroy us again!!!
    Or the other guy they just got (Grant?).

Bombers got Lucky twice.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

The special teams of the Bombers concerns me.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Or the other guy they just got (Grant?).

Bombers got Lucky twice.
    Grant scares me, need to contain him for sure.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Grant scares me, need to contain him for sure.
    They do forsure. The Esks have a punter who can do it but Whyte doesn't punt normally so there is the chance he doesn't put the ball where the special teams are expecting plus the Esks cover team isn't always reliable.

I think it will be a close game and a big return could turn the tide of the game.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    They do forsure. The Esks have a punter who can do it but Whyte doesn't punt normally so there is the chance he doesn't put the ball where the special teams are expecting plus the Esks cover team isn't always reliable.

I think it will be a close game and a big return could turn the tide of the game.
    My concern as well heading in to this one, lets hope the zebras don't help their special teams out like they did with Hamilton.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Key to the game and it is no secret...

1. Contain Harris in both rushing the ball and catching the ball out of the back field.
    2. Keep Streveler in the pocket and turn him into a passing QB.

I would assume that Winnipeg will have a heavy dose of running plays for both QB and RB.... Streveler I will take off and run on passing plays as soon as he feels pressure.... it will be crucial that we are prepared for that.

Agreed that Streveler scares me more then Dominique Davis. I have a gut feeling Streveler will either have an absolute dud of a game or be an absolute stud....nothing in between...

My 3 cents...
    I Streveler can put up a monster game against our defence, he'll be full credit for it.

I understand why many are slow to trust this Esks team - we haven't shown enough ability to not hurt ourselves (penalties, red zone, short yardage, etc) on a consistent basis. With full respect to the Bombers though - and they have earned that definitely - we're catching them without their starting QB, a banged up RB, missing one of their top WRs (Adams) a starting DE, and potentially a few DBs, while we're coming off our best game of the season in many ways, essentially as healthy as we've been all year, and playing at home with 1st place on the line.

I don't expect a blowout, but I do expect the Esks to win this one by more than the 6.5 point favourites that they are.

Bombers are right there with us in terms of top defences, but we're trotting out the top QB in the league right now, the top O-line (with one notable change of course), and what the TSN panel were agreeing was the league's best receiving corps 1 through 5... and oh yeah, the top defence in most categories. I admit that we likely yield a fair advantage to them on special teams, but to our credit, I believe we've only given up the 1 return TD this year in a year where everyone and their dog is taking one back.

Step back for a moment and look at this game through their eyes having to come into Commonwealth to have to face us and view our guys through that lens for a moment.

Interesting stat - CJ Gable has the same amount of carries this year as Andrew Harris. He's averaging a yard less per carry, but still has a very respectable 5.2 ypc average. Surprisingly, he matches Harris' bit play ability with 22 carries over 10 yds (Harris has 23) and both have 4 carries over 20 yds (only Stanback has more).
    Life is Good.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I Streveler can put up a monster game against our defence, he'll be full credit for it.

I understand why many are slow to trust this Esks team - we haven't shown enough ability to not hurt ourselves (penalties, red zone, short yardage, etc) on a consistent basis. With full respect to the Bombers though - and they have earned that definitely - we're catching them without their starting QB, a banged up RB, missing one of their top WRs (Adams) a starting DE, and potentially a few DBs, while we're coming off our best game of the season in many ways, essentially as healthy as we've been all year, and playing at home with 1st place on the line.

I don't expect a blowout, but I do expect the Esks to win this one by more than the 6.5 point favourites that they are.

Bombers are right there with us in terms of top defences, but we're trotting out the top QB in the league right now, the top O-line (with one notable change of course), and what the TSN panel were agreeing was the league's best receiving corps 1 through 5... and oh yeah, the top defence in most categories. I admit that we likely yield a fair advantage to them on special teams, but to our credit, I believe we've only given up the 1 return TD this year in a year where everyone and their dog is taking one back.

Step back for a moment and look at this game through their eyes having to come into Commonwealth to have to face us and view our guys through that lens for a moment.

Interesting stat - CJ Gable has the same amount of carries this year as Andrew Harris. He's averaging a yard less per carry, but still has a very respectable 5.2 ypc average. Surprisingly, he matches Harris' bit play ability with 22 carries over 10 yds (Harris has 23) and both have 4 carries over 20 yds (only Stanback has more).
    In one less game too, and Shaq had 5 over 10 yards and one over 20 in his relief if I remember correctly.

However, the X-Factor is Harris' yardage off passing plays as well.
    Last edited by bone; 08-21-2019 at 04:33 PM.

vCash

Bob Irving on twitter saying the Mike O'Shea expects Andrew Harris to play in Edmonton.

vCash

Looking at this through a Bombers fans eyes, I would be extremely nervous as this is set up for a win for us but I still expect us to keep them in the game.
    #PizStrong

vCash

We’re missing MOD & Draheim up front so we’re hardly as healthy there...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    We’re missing MOD & Draheim up front so we’re hardly as healthy there...
    Granted, but we've been playing rather seamlessly through MOD's injury - can you believe this is week 6 already??? We also came through the last game, admittedly against a Defence that isn't of the caliber of the Bombers, without allowing a sack or taking a holding penalty I believe. It's not our peak lineup, but I have a high level of confidence about what these guys have proven out so far relative to what is being asked of them.

Would you think that the Bombers are really licking their chops to try and go up against our O-line even with Draheim and MOD out?
    Life is Good.

#PizStrong

vCash

If we force Streveler to have to operate from the pocket, have to read a defense, and throw the ball to gain yards, we win. The Bombers are going to try to run a bunch of QB options, screens and draws, along with a steady diet of Andrew Harris. If we stack the box and play a lot of man-to-man on their receivers, that should eliminate their main game plan forcing Streveler into standing in the pocket and attempting to read a defense (not his strong suit). IMO Streveler doesn't throw the nicest or most accurate ball and tends to force the ball into a lot of places he shouldn't.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Depth chart up for one of you tekkie nerds to post.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Looks like we starting 8 nationals..... with Sax get the start thought we might start another International REC....

I see Walker been added to the depth chart.... hope we find a way to get him reps on D...

vCash

Also interesting to see they've finally went with two backups on the line. With all the nagging injuries they've been dealing with on the line, it's a good move. Good news that MOD is practicing and eligible to return next week, and SirV (if feeling better) can start practicing after next week.

vCash

#PizStrong

vCash

3 cheers for the tekkie
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Anyone know the status of Rogers and O'Donnell? The Oline has been real good but now the injuries are piling up with Draheim now on the 6 games as well. I am a firm believer that your team will only go as far as your Oline will take them and they are starting to get DEEP into the depth.

Rogers got hurt in May so we are pushing 3 months now. Is he supposed to be back at all?

O'Donnell got hurt after the 3rd game. So we are pushing 2 months for him.

vCash

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/22/t...nipeg-alberta/

Quote Originally Posted by Morley Scott
    So...Eskimos Bombers tomorrow night ...the new Battle of Alberta?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Anyone know the status of Rogers and O'Donnell? The Oline has been real good but now the injuries are piling up with Draheim now on the 6 games as well. I am a firm believer that your team will only go as far as your Oline will take them and they are starting to get DEEP into the depth.

Rogers got hurt in May so we are pushing 3 months now. Is he supposed to be back at all?

O'Donnell got hurt after the 3rd game. So we are pushing 2 months for him.
    O'Donnell was practicing this week and this would be his 6th game out of the lineup so assuming he stayed healthy through practice he should be available Labour Day.

SirV's second 6 game stint ends on the bye week after the Labour Day rematch. He's eligible to practice after the Labour Day game so we should have an idea if he's close at that point. I seem to recall the verbal pre-season was that he should be back during the season at some point so I'm half expecting to see him back for Hamilton or shortly thereafter, and if not it's likely the season.
    Last edited by bone; 08-22-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    O'Donnell was practicing this week and this would be his 6th game out of the lineup so assuming he stayed healthy through practice he should be available Labour Day.

SirV's second 6 game stint ends on the bye week after the Labour Day rematch. He's eligible to practice after the Labour Day game so we should have an idea if he's close at that point. I seem to recall the verbal pre-season was that he should be back during the season at some point so I'm half expecting to see him back for Hamilton or shortly thereafter, and if not it's likely the season.
    Hmmm, could have sworn you posted this already just a few posts ago in this very thread, strange that you had to post it again....