Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Eskies vs Bombers, round 2 - redemption day

vCash

Re: Eskies vs Bombers, round 2 - redemption day

I know people see Maas as a hot head but IMO thats what TSN wants you to see. IMO he's no different than O shea who has flown off the handle before. I don't buy that the Esks are undisciplined because Maas is. What I see is a officiating crew looking for everything, borderline or not, to flag us on, while the same thing goes unflagged for other teams. Its just amazing at the lack of consistency in the officiating. With those losses we where also saddled with a D that couldn't stop anything. We have a D that very well could win us games just because how good they are. Well as long as we don't get screwed by the officiating again.

Optics are bad at the officiating. How can the top front 7 not be drawing holdings ? Like others have said its not necessarily the calls being called against us but those NOT being called on the opponents.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    2016: 4-7
    2017: 5-6
    2018: 5-8
    2019: 1-4 (if playoffs started today)

15-25 against playoff teams (I forgot to remove the presumed Labor Day loss from a previous post).
    2018 we had 6 wins against playoff teams (Bombers twice, Ottawa, Calgary, Sask and BC)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I know people see Maas as a hot head but IMO thats what TSN wants you to see. IMO he's no different than O shea who has flown off the handle before. I don't buy that the Esks are undisciplined because Maas is. What I see is a officiating crew looking for everything, borderline or not, to flag us on, while the same thing goes unflagged for other teams. Its just amazing at the lack of consistency in the officiating. With those losses we where also saddled with a D that couldn't stop anything. We have a D that very well could win us games just because how good they are. Well as long as we don't get screwed by the officiating again.

Optics are bad at the officiating. How can the top front 7 not be drawing holdings ? Like others have said its not necessarily the calls being called against us but those NOT being called on the opponents.
    I would far rather see Maas's passion vs Dave Dickensons whining.
    #PizStrong

vCash

had to do a double take to see if you typed winning

vCash

#PizStrong

vCash

Well he certainly has done more winning. But not too fond of his whining cough*****ingcanadianmafia*cough

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Also, yesterday Dave Jamieson was simply responding to a text about firing Maas. And he actually said he didn't see them firing Maas so it was pure speculation...
    That makes more sense. Can't believe anyone's talking about firing a coach who's 6-4 half way into a rebuild.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    That makes more sense. Can't believe anyone's talking about firing a coach who's 6-4 half way into a rebuild.
    welcome to life in Edmonton where fans always seem to want the next guy.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Also, yesterday Dave Jamieson was simply responding to a text about firing Maas. And he actually said he didn't see them firing Maas so it was pure speculation...
    thanks for the clarification. I didnt get a chance to listen to it fully.

vCash

I think the outcome of this season will determine whether or not Jason Maas is with us next year as HC. Currently looking like the worse the EE will finish is 4th place with a cross-over to the East Division in the playoffs. And that is mainly because BC, Ottawa and Toronto are each having a grim year.
    If the team then goes out ignominiously, Mass may be in trouble.
    If team finishes third in West and gets bumped in semi-final, he is also in trouble.
    First or second in West, he ought be back.
    Last edited by Moon1; 08-29-2019 at 06:19 AM.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Pitfall Harry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    I think the outcome of this season will determine whether or not Jason Maas is with us next year as HC. Currently looking like the worse the EE will finish is 4th place with a cross-over to the East Division in the playoffs. And that is mainly because BC, Ottawa and Toronto are each having a grim year.
    If the team then goes out ignominiously, Mass may be in trouble.
    If team finishes third in West and gets bumped in semi-final, he is also in trouble.
    First or second in West, he ought be back.
    I'll go one further. There's a low threshold for success with this organization. If he wins the East semi in the increasingly-likely crossover, that'll be considered a successful season and he'll be brought back. I don't think he should be given any slack for the roster turnover, however. Most teams had a lot of new players, and he was given a great new QB and receivers, and an all-star defence. There's no way that should be a crutch, especially in the second half of the season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    I'll go one further. There's a low threshold for success with this organization. If he wins the East semi in the increasingly-likely crossover, that'll be considered a successful season and he'll be brought back. I don't think he should be given any slack for the roster turnover, however. Most teams had a lot of new players, and he was given a great new QB and receivers, and an all-star defence. There's no way that should be a crutch, especially in the second half of the season.
    2015 Esks win Grey Cup … but, shortly thereafter, HC Jones and coaching staff poached (stolen not boiled) by Saskatchewan.

Jason Maas, beloved former EE quarterback with impressive CFL coaching credentials, becomes EE new HC.

2016 4th place in West Division, at 10 and 8. Get cross-over to East Division for playoffs. Nose out the Tiger-Cats in East semi-final, but come up decidedly limp against the Redblacks in the East Divisional final.

2017 3rd place in West Division, at 12 and 6. Going into playoffs team is molten hot, riding a five game winning streak. Reilly CFL’s most outstanding player. Better the Bombers in West Semi-Final. Going into Calgary with a six game winning streak, but lose a squeaker to Calgary in the West Final. In dying minutes of the game, on third down in Calgary end, Mass decides to kick a totally meaningless field goal (Esks will still need a TD to win)– rationalizing that the Defense will hold and Esks will get the ball back. Instead Calgary kills the remaining time. Very controversial play call.

2018 5th place in West Division, at 9 and 9. Miss playoffs.

2019. August 30th. Team currently 6 and 4, third place in West Division. Lots and lots of football left, and lots of possibilities.

Esks last at home playoff game … 2015.

Heard Danny Maciocia, currently HC at Univ Montreal. on radio interview here couple days ago. Reminded me what infinite patience Esk fans have.
    Last edited by Moon1; 08-30-2019 at 12:19 PM.

vCash

Esks last home playoff game November 2015.

vCash

I remember having a discussion with Solar Max about Maas when the post 2015 Grey Cup coaching departure happened. I think we both agreed that Jason was probably in a better situation if he had a couple more years of coordinator coaching before he became a head coach, but in the end, he was probably the best choice for the Eskimos. I think he has grown a lot in the 3 1/2 years he has been HC for us. I'd like to see that growth continue. And yes, it is frustrating when we don't get playoff games, and we seem to be moving backward in some situations. I think we've really gone through a helluva lot as an organization in the past 4 years. Lots of transition; lots of disruptions to the flow of the business on and off the field. Hopefully the wins come and we can talk about those successes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I remember that holy lick it was cold that day
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I remember having a discussion with Solar Max about Maas when the post 2015 Grey Cup coaching departure happened. I think we both agreed that Jason was probably in a better situation if he had a couple more years of coordinator coaching before he became a head coach, but in the end, he was probably the best choice for the Eskimos. I think he has grown a lot in the 3 1/2 years he has been HC for us. I'd like to see that growth continue. And yes, it is frustrating when we don't get playoff games, and we seem to be moving backward in some situations. I think we've really gone through a helluva lot as an organization in the past 4 years. Lots of transition; lots of disruptions to the flow of the business on and off the field. Hopefully the wins come and we can talk about those successes.
    I totally agree with this. Success in the CFL goes hand in hand with stability in the team management and coaches. Just look at our rivals in Calgary. I believe we now have the right people in place to be successful. Jason improved our team by getting a good DC and a new ST coach this year. The wins will come. If we have patience Brock Sunderland and Jason Maas will build a winner here for years to come. If it gets blown up then some other team will benefit from the experience these guys have had here.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    I totally agree with this. Success in the CFL goes hand in hand with stability in the team management and coaches. Just look at our rivals in Calgary. I believe we now have the right people in place to be successful. Jason improved our team by getting a good DC and a new ST coach this year. The wins will come. If we have patience Brock Sunderland and Jason Maas will build a winner here for years to come. If it gets blown up then some other team will benefit from the experience these guys have had here.
    my thoughts exactly. It would be a different case if we were constantly under 500 but to ditch a relatively new coach who has an almost 600 winning percentage would be short sighted.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    yes thank you. corrected now. It was a "brain fart"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Exactly, and he is the third most winningest active HC in the league right now despite all that. What’s the one thing the two coaches ahead of him in that category have had? Stability throughout the organizations around them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post

Couldn’t agree more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    my thoughts exactly. It would be a different case if we were constantly under 500 but to ditch a relatively new coach who has an almost 600 winning percentage would be short sighted.

“Short-sighted” is the nice way to say it, it would be downright asinine.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I would far rather see Maas's passion vs Dave Dickensons whining.
    Yes...Dave puts the DICK in Dickenson!!

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

Although it seems this way, I truly believe officials do not favor one team over another. They are just not well trained enough due to the limited CFL budget.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Although it seems this way, I truly believe officials do not favor one team over another. They are just not well trained enough due to the limited CFL budget.
    but TSN does and what TSN wants is what they get